HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 10:47 PM

the new QC arena looks pretty good to me, will probably have some nice lighting effects at night too. Now all they need is an anchor tenant.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 10:58 PM

The Air Canada centre benefits from being for the most part in the shell of an art deco structure. BC Place is my favorite on the outside possibly tied with the Big O.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:00 PM

^Agreed. I love the Art Deco side of the ACC and the other side (the main entrance) was recently renovated to basically be a gigantic screen.

Before:

After:

...and for those who don't know the building, the Bay Street facade:

It's the facade of the old Toronto Postal Delivery Building, which was on the site before the ACC:

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:07 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ Is that new screen mounted on an expanded west face to the ACC?

ACC looks pretty good... it has held up well. The only thing I would have changed is the tower... it's a little too shrimpy. But that was the 90s for you... tough times.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

ACC looks pretty good... it has held up well. The only thing I would have changed is the tower... it's a little too shrimpy. But that was the 90s for you... tough times.
yup they expanded the west atrium a couple years back. added a tv studio as well and a skybridge to maple leaf square

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:12 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

If they build it, will they come?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12...ent-mlb-return

An exerpt from the AP article (via ESPN):
Quote:
MONTREAL -- Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said Monday that Montreal needs a new stadium to have any chance of bringing the sport back to the city.

"The key thing in Montreal would be to have a plan for an adequate facility that could support baseball over the long haul," he told The Canadian Press just a few days before Montreal hosts two exhibition games between the Toronto Blue Jays and Cincinnati Reds at Olympic Stadium.

Manfred said the league would need a strong commitment from Montreal for a new stadium before the league could seriously consider relocating a team or expanding there.

"I don't expect people to go into the ground and build a facility without some sort of commitment that they are going to get a team," he said. "But I do think that you need a plan and a commitment to how that plan is going to be executed."

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:28 PM

I'd love to see a return of the Expos

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
I'd love to see a return of the Expos
Me too. I got my ticket for this saturday's game Jays vs Reds in Montreal. Should be pretty much sold out.

- Jean: Mais voyons ce ne sont pas des chevals, ce sont des chevaux

- La blonde: ahhh bon!...pourtant sa ressemblait a des chevals

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:20 PM
Community Guy

Roger's Place Update. She is getting HUGE.

www.rogersplace.com, all rights reserved

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:02 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:

I agree that the ACC looks good. I've always liked the exterior.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
If they build it, will they come?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12...ent-mlb-return

An exerpt from the AP article (via ESPN):
Usually a league commissioner will won't say anything to get peoples hopes up. I would interpret that statement as a strong endorsement for a team in Montreal - as long as a new baseball specific stadium is built. If a stadium does somehow get built, it most certainly has to be downtown. For baseball to survive, you need a great ball-park experience. Retro style stadium with a spectacular view of the city or water, and situated downtown, preferably in the historic district. Not sure if Montreal can meet those criteria.

Makes me think though, Vancouver could meet those criteria. There's a large area where the Whitecaps owner was proposing a soccer stadium right on the waterfront, with a spectacular view of the mountains, and it's just off of Gastown. Build a top notch AAA park that's expandable to MLB standards and you've got a realistic path to major league baseball. If the commissioner is willing to consider Montreal, why not Vancouver?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:48 PM

Why not expand MLB in both Montreal and Vancouver. One can be AL and one can be NL.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:02 PM

Montréal is the largest metro in North America without a MLB team.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:21 PM

Would need a private investor willing to shell out at least $350 mill for a nice 35-40 000 seat open air ball park downtown. (and 350 mill would be on the cheap end of MLB ball parks)

If the MLB gives a guarantee that they will expand there contingent on a stadium i'm all for it. Would like to see at least a 20 year less signed as well so the team can't jump town. Rogers has the Blue Jays. Bell has always had a strong presence in Montreal..... paging Bell.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:26 PM

A new baseball park in either Montreal or BC would probably require a substantial portion to be paid for by private interests. In all likelihood, that would require PSLs for the club seats and suites at bare minimum for the owners to recoup a portion of their investment immediately.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:27 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

I'd be happy to see MLB return to Montreal, but wow, that would be quite the turn of events. For the last 6 or 7 years of that team's existence, the Expos were a total afterthought in Montreal... pretty much like the Coyotes are in Phoenix. I figured MLB was toast there. Is there actual genuine fan interest in baseball, or is this some sort of nostalgia kick?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:52 PM

Quote:
I'd be happy to see MLB return to Montreal, but wow, that would be quite the turn of events. For the last 6 or 7 years of that team's existence, the Expos were a total afterthought in Montreal... pretty much like the Coyotes are in Phoenix. I figured MLB was toast there. Is there actual genuine fan interest in baseball, or is this some sort of nostalgia kick?
Likely a bit of both. But if they do decide to go in Montreal (before a stadium is built) they would need to have an interest drive for season tickets. Also like Winnipeg Jets have them sign a commitment for 5 years minimum OR 10 years (at some discounted rate)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 9:07 PM

Quote:

Ya the tower is the only part I don't like but it can always be updated later. It's barely noticeable anymore.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 9:10 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Usually a league commissioner will won't say anything to get peoples hopes up. I would interpret that statement as a strong endorsement for a team in Montreal - as long as a new baseball specific stadium is built. If a stadium does somehow get built, it most certainly has to be downtown. For baseball to survive, you need a great ball-park experience. Retro style stadium with a spectacular view of the city or water, and situated downtown, preferably in the historic district. Not sure if Montreal can meet those criteria.
Maybe they can dust off this plan - although the site is probably not available anymore. In any case, it met many of the criteria you've outlined.

Labatt Park (via CBSSports.com)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 9:57 PM

That was a beauty design^^^

deviated from the trend of retro ball parks but still had that open air feel with the downtown as the back drop.

The look of that proposal reminds me a bit of the Nationals ball park.... what a coincidence.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada