HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:55 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Gotta say that the concept horseshoe stadium design by Dave Delisle is kinda cool
Yeah, that is really nice.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:59 PM

Lol way too obvious

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 7:01 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, that is really nice.
qft

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:40 PM

Place Bell construction site in Laval now has its live stream :

http://www.pomerleau.ca/construction...eur/index.aspx

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Yeah and they have to cancel a bunch of games every year due to weather.
9 cancellations since Target Field 2010 is hardly "a bunch" - and only 4 of those were in April.

Again - that's 9 games out of a possible 324 - 2.7% of games

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Learn from ol' elly, you got to start conditioning people about a week before. I had one going a while back about the new Hamilton stadium using a render of the proposed New York West Side stadium for their 2012 Olympic bid. It was all shiny metal so of course I used the tie in with the Steel City. Hardest part was hiding the NY sign on the side of the building.

I was thinking of doing one this year about Calgary but the fan-made cowboy hat arena and horseshoe stadium were too well known.

It wasn't an April Fool's joke but one of the best/worst scams was the guy who posted "leaked pics" about a 2026 Canadian WC bid. I knew it was a scam right away because of my familiarity with stadiums and soccer but a whole bunch of people bit, including mainstream media.

Pretty funny. the Horseshoe would actually be good but the hat would make Calgary look like a giant Mini Golf Coarse.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 10:34 PM

Inside QC's new Colisée:

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villaggio View Post
Inside QC's new Colisée:
I was about to post the exact same picture. The interior is simply wonderful. Cupholders gonna hold lots of booze

- Jean: Mais voyons ce ne sont pas des chevals, ce sont des chevaux

- La blonde: ahhh bon!...pourtant sa ressemblait a des chevals

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Thinking tampa relocation and no expansion fee. Mtl in the AL east with boston toronto new york baltimore. that would be an awesome rivalry and would attract well at the gates.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that...

Prying the Rays out of Tampa would involve either A) a massive buyout of the county or B) a lawsuit if a buyout can't be arranged.

Expansion is the path of least resistance. And let's not forget about all that money that would go into owners' pockets in expansion fees.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure about that...

Prying the Rays out of Tampa would involve either A) a massive buyout of the county or B) a lawsuit if a buyout can't be arranged.

Expansion is the path of least resistance. And let's not forget about all that money that would go into owners' pockets in expansion fees.

There wouldnt be a lawsuit. The terms of the buyout have already been agreed to if the owner decides to relocate. And the buyout wouldnt be that massive. The city council also voted against exploring options for a new stadium.

The team did negotiate a deal that would see it pay the city should it leave Tropicana Field before 2027 beginning with $4 million per season until December 2018. Those payments would decrease to $3 million per year from 2019-22 and $2 million from 2023-26.

While relocating to another city like Montreal or Charlotte is by no means imminent or a certainty, permanently denying the team permission to explore local stadium sites will mean the end of the Rays in Tampa. A new stadium is not a want but rather a need. Should it become necessary, the team will fill that need elsewhere.

And the Rays are unlikely to wait until 2027 to explore relocation. Unless it has a local deal in place within the next five to seven years, expect the Rays to begin negotiating with a city like Montreal to build a new stadium for the 2028 season. The Rays would then let the city know they intend to move in a few years with the hope of buying the city out in exchange for an early exit ahead of 2027. At that point, it’s more likely the city would accept the deal thereby allowing the Rays to bolt in advance of 2027.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmacr...ertain-future/

The buyout would be about $25 mil.

Expansion would require a second expansion team because the mlb isnt going to go ahead with 31 teams.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
9 cancellations since Target Field 2010 is hardly "a bunch" - and only 4 of those were in April.

Again - that's 9 games out of a possible 324 - 2.7% of games
Average snowfall in April:

Minneapolis - 6.4cm
Montreal - 13.0cm

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
You can't (or wouldn't want to) build a baseball stadium in Montreal without a retractable roof. I mean, unless you don't want to play any home games in April
It marginally helps. Nobody likes going to games in Toronto until the roof can be opened. Detroit and Cleveland are slow in April after opening week if the weather is bad, it isn't rocket science to know that people don't like the cold but adding $300 million to a Stadium cost for a roof may not be the best ROI these days. The Twins ditched the roof because of the added costs and they are doing fine, you use money saved to beef up other parts of the park and though it is still cold as heck there in April to Americans it does not seem to hurt the Twins in the big picture of attendance figures throughout the year.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villaggio View Post
Inside QC's new Colisée:
Aside from Bell Centre, this will be the nicest arena in Canada by a mile. Way better then the ACC, which aside from Long Island and Boston the worst rink in the NHL.

No other Arena has such ample room and footplate. Supposedly the lockerooms in the new QC rink would be already the biggest in the NHL without a team.

Lots of pork and sprinkles into this arena but it is foolish to think the end goal won't be a team. These smaller markets have to do things like this to lure in the players, I am sure the new Edmonton rink will have similar perks built in.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:17 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Aside from Bell Centre, this will be the nicest arena in Canada by a mile. Way better then the ACC, which aside from Long Island and Boston the worst rink in the NHL.

No other Arena has such ample room and footplate. Supposedly the lockerooms in the new QC rink would be already the biggest in the NHL without a team.

Lots of pork and sprinkles into this arena but it is foolish to think the end goal won't be a team. These smaller markets have to do things like this to lure in the players, I am sure the new Edmonton rink will have similar perks built in.
Bell Centre is good, but not spectacular. It appears that Quebec's rink will be roughly on par with Edmonton's... they'll set the new standard for arenas in Canada.

I would think Quebec is a given to get a NHL team... there must have been some sort of deal made. You certainly don't build a rink like that for the Q. And just look at the anemic response to the season ticket drive in Las Vegas... you can't tell me that Quebec wouldn't blow them away if they had a crack at a similar season ticket drive. I'm sure that a Quebec team's revenues would impressively high.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Bell Centre is good, but not spectacular. It appears that Quebec's rink will be roughly on par with Edmonton's... they'll set the new standard for arenas in Canada.

I would think Quebec is a given to get a NHL team... there must have been some sort of deal made. You certainly don't build a rink like that for the Q. And just look at the anemic response to the season ticket drive in Las Vegas... you can't tell me that Quebec wouldn't blow them away if they had a crack at a similar season ticket drive. I'm sure that a Quebec team's revenues would impressively high.
I'd love to see it happen, another Canadian team, but my fear is the last thing the NHL wants is ANOTHER eastern team... the best hope for QC I believe is not through expansion but an existing eastern team re-locating....

my guess for expansion would be Seattle, Kansas City or Vegas...

Back to arena talk

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Way better then the ACC, which aside from Long Island and Boston the worst rink in the NHL.

lolwut

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:34 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
I'd love to see it happen, another Canadian team, but my fear is the last thing the NHL wants is ANOTHER eastern team... the best hope for QC I believe is not through expansion but an existing eastern team re-locating....

my guess for expansion would be Seattle, Kansas City or Vegas...

Back to arena talk
NHL will follow the money... they don't worry having a bunch of evenly scattered dots on a map.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:10 PM

Quote:
NHL will follow the money... they don't worry having a bunch of evenly scattered dots on a map.
I hope you're right, though never mind the map; NHLPA always has concerns with travel schedules, uneven playoff odds between conferences... there are other influential factors

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:29 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:

Las Vegas are over 10,000 for their ticket drive. That's pretty good IMO, although of course Quebec City would blow that out of the water in a single day maybe...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:31 PM

Quote:
LOL, not sure how you came to that conclusion. The Bell Centre looks like crap from the outside so if you think this new one will look better then the Bell you might be right. This new QC arena looks like some sort of public building you'd see built in the N.W.T or Nunavut.

QC time and again comes out with some of the coolest proposals and designs in the country. They missed the mark here though in a big way. Edmonton is doing it right, the two arenas are lightyears apart in quality.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada