HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 1:44 PM
I used to be THAT guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
You gotta make SSP entertaining somehow (though there is nothing for the Atlantic provinces...cmon)
It wasn't actually meant to be an informative map. More like an illustration to accompany an article. Though I agree it was frustrating to not be able to see the keywords for all regions of Canada.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 12:27 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Literally screamed out loud. Haven't had Bosnian food since Winnipeg in 2012, and it's probably my favourite cuisine (I like just about everything in that stretch from Croatia through Greece to the Middle East).

Quote:
Since a police raid last September related to an investigation into the Vikings Motorcycle Club, which used the building as a clubhouse for a little less than two years, the building has sat dormant.

But its controversial history dates back even further and has been a sore spot for some neighbours who were never content with the noise, violence and alleged criminal activity that took place there before it closed as a licensed watering hole in late 2013.

“The music blared all over the street. People were drunk outside the club, using dirty language, drinking outside, throwing up,” area resident Pamela MacPherson told The Telegram in 2014 when there was talk of someone was attempting to reopen the bar.

Husic is well aware of the history surrounding the old Sports Bar, but says residents can be assured his establishment will be a family friendly environment.

So far, the neighbours he’s had a chance to connect with have all been “enthusiastic” about the proposed project.

“They promised to be our customers and this is what we hoped for, to have people from around the neighborhood to come in and have a cup of tea, a cup of coffee, have some food, chit chat,” Husic says. “We want a place of business and a place where we can raise our family as well, and I think this will be a good place.”

While Adnela Halebic-Husic has been in the province for only a few short months with the couple’s two young boys, Mehmed-Mesha and Tarik, Eldin Husic is no stranger to St. John’s.

In fact, he already has Canadian citizenship.

After immigrating to Newfoundland in 1996, he learned English, attended university and started cooking at the Ship Inn Pub, eventually moving into a management position. In 2002, he left the province to teach English in South Korea and was joined by Adnela five years later.

“We felt great there,” Husic says of their life in South Korea, “but I realized I need to do something for the family, not just for me.

“It doesn’t matter if I support them and everything if they don’t have a life that they can be proud of.”

With one semester left on his university contract in South Korea, the family decided now it the time to move on, and St. John’s was the obvious choice given his prior connections. But with his spring semester not ending until July, it meant Halebic-Husic and the boys would make the trip early.

“When I came she had the apartment, all the furniture, the internet, cable, TV, bought a car, insurance, everything,” Husic says of his wife’s efforts before he arrived last month. “I was flabbergasted because she went in and did everything.”
http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...boncloddy.html

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 11:46 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This has to be one of my favourite things I've ever seen here.

I bet it stocks a lot of this:

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 10:24 PM

Did a bit of double take when I was watching TV and a trailer came on for an upcoming Stephen King movie called 'It'. As it turns out Port Hope portrays the fictional town.

A couple screen grabs from a pair of trailers.

Video Link

Both Cobourg and Port Hope see a lot of filming. Murdoch Mysteries is here all the time not that I watch it.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 2:05 AM
Because it's 2015.

Filming movies is about the only time Americans can ever hope to see their flag fly atop our buildings.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 7:38 AM

Toronto: City of 140 languages

Growing at a clip of more than 100,000 new residents a year, Canada’s largest city keeps getting larger. But the continued population boom hasn’t changed Toronto’s character.

By Lindsey Galloway

Growing at a clip of more than 100,000 new residents a year, Canada’s largest city keeps getting larger. But the continued population boom hasn’t changed Toronto’s character. Long known for welcoming multiculturalism and diversity (more than 140 languages are spoken here), the city has also made substantial investments in public transportation and technology, making the city even more attractive to newcomers and Silicon Valley talent.
However, it can take time to fully appreciate all that Toronto has to offer, say residents. “The city doesn’t give up its secrets easily,” said Alyssa James, Toronto native and travel blogger at Alyssa Writes. “I love Toronto because you really have to know it to love it.”
Among those secrets are beaches right in the city’s backyard. “People don’t think of Toronto for waterfront or beaches because we aren’t near an ocean, but we do have great lakes,” said Bruce Poon Tip, who has lived in the city for 27 years and founded G Adventures. “The water is clean and the waterfront has been developed in a way that maximizes quality of living.” The beaches, just 10km east of downtown, also host an internationally renowned jazz festival every July.

Is it affordable?
While residents agree that the city is expensive compared to the rest of Canada, they also say it’s still much more affordable than other big global cities. The 2017 Cost of Living Index by the Economist Intelligence Unit ranked Toronto at 86 of 133 cities, well behind New York, London and even Mexico City.
“When you take into account global currencies, like the British pound, you get tremendous value for your money – almost two for one,” said Poon Tip. “I have friends from Europe, from the United States, from the UK, who fly in just to shop.”

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2017...-140-languages

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 7:41 AM

Montrealer sole resident of condo building after other units rented on Airbnb

Over 10,600 listings for Montreal on Airbnb, majority for entire homes or apartments

By Andrea Bellemare, CBC News Posted: Aug 08, 2017 7:56 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 08, 2017 8:38 PM ET

Andrew Chapman lives in a nine-unit condo building converted from a boutique hotel in downtown Montreal near the busy Berri-UQAM Metro station, a desirable home in a desirable area of an internationally popular city.

So much so, that Chapman has found himself to be the building's only full-time resident — because the rest of the units are being rented on services like Airbnb.

"Gradually over the past couple of years since I bought my condo, I've noticed the creeping in of more and more short-term renters," he said in an interview on CBC Montreal's Daybreak program Tuesday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...oyal-1.4238765

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:08 AM

shout out to windsor

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 9:52 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Gorgeous Port Hope scenes.

There's a chance that French soldiers killed in the Battle of Signal Hill are buried there. An historian is asking for an examination and, if confirmed, a monument.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Filming movies is about the only time Americans can ever hope to see their flag fly atop our buildings.
It's funny I don't find Port Hope particularly American looking either

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
It's funny I don't find Port Hope particularly American looking either
I thought it had a bit of Northeastern/New England flavour in the first shot. Cambridge (Galt) gives me a similar impression when seen in certain aerials.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 12:12 PM

So the big thing in local media here in St. John's is motorcycles, and more particularly loud motorcycles: http://vocm.com/news/after-complaint...beeping-horns/

One City Councillor held a meeting the other night for people to voice their concerns, and it was attended mostly by people from a downtown neighbourhood. However, it is an issue all over the City.

I'll admit I have complained about it myself. Some nights it's hard to enjoy a walk downtown because of the constant sound of revving engines, sometimes it's deafening. I lie in bed summer nights with the window open, and the sounds are constant. I know it isn't a big deal, but it can become extremely annoying.

In a childish display of protest last night, a group of bikers drove through this particular neighbourhood making excessive noise...

Just wondering if this exists anywhere outside St. John's...I'm sure it does, but would like to hear stories from other cities.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 12:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's deafening on the most used routes. With rowhouses and no trees in front the sound seems to be amplified or echoed. Even regular cars can drown out a loud television as they pass by if your window is open.

I think people in the city have reached their limit with downtown snowflakes, though. People are pissed with their constant complaining about everything. The traffic calming measures on Winter Avenue were the final straw for most. Literally inconveniencing every single person who goes to the Memorial Dominion to appease snobs on one street.

I don't agree with this intimidation tactic but I do understand the exasperation. We have a lot of downtown residents who need to move to rural areas.

EDIT, the plot thickens:

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Aug 16, 2017 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 1:30 PM

Pretty Cool! Gonna be great tonight in Edmonton!
from Metallica.com

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 4:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Hot T from Marty_McFly. We now have raccoons because of one trucker. Truck opened up to unload at the Avalon Mall and a half dozen raccoons jumped out. I hope they're all male.

On the other hand, giant (literally the biggest I've ever seen anywhere) rats are what occupies that niche in our ecosystem. Trash pandas are much cuter - it could be an upgrade. I just hope they don't become as obscenely numerous as moose did here after they were introduced.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 5:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Google knows what you're laughing at: data reveals favourite jokes of each province

Quote:
"I'm reading a great book on anti-gravity. I can't put it down."

Someone in the Yukon Territory may have read that joke on the internet this year. According to Google Trends, it's the kind of humour people there like most.

The data was published Wednesday in a list of the most searched-for types of jokes in each province, to mark International Tell a Joke Day.

While Yukoners search for science jokes, Ontario and Nunavut want funny jokes, Alberta and P.E.I. like dad jokes.

Manitoba and the Northwest Territories favour mama jokes, British Columbians are fond of Harry Potter jokes (who knew?), Quebec likes corny jokes and Newfoundland and Labrador … well, they're searching for puns.

"Which seems super appropriate," said Alexandra Hunnings Klein, a Google Trends expert based in Toronto.
Quote:
Jokes about martial artist and Texas Ranger star Chuck Norris dominated Google searches in New Brunswick, a result which Klein said she got a (drop)kick out of.
Quote:
A glutton for pun-ishment

"I'm pretty proud of Newfoundland and Labrador for puns," says Veronica Dymond, a stand-up comic in St. John's who says she would very much like to be called a pun expert in this article.

"As someone who loves making puns, I would like to see more people getting into the pun business, making puns around town."

But pulling off a successful pun is tough, she said.

"It seems so counter-intuitive because a lot of puns are very silly, but you need a lot of background information to make a pun," she said.

"You need to have a fairly large vocabulary or understanding of something like history or books. You need to understand the references that are being made.

"They're often a lot of build-up, and a lot of set-up for not a great pay-off."

Like Muskrat Falls?
Quote:
They meme what they say

It may be that required background and understanding which make puns so popular in Newfoundland and Labrador. Residents love to poke fun at themselves and memes about the province are wildly popular on social media.

Cape Shore Memes, the makers of the Newfie Word of the Day meme, has more than 104,000 likes on its Facebook page. That's one fifth of the province's population, a number made even more impressive when you consider that some towns in the province still don't have the internet.

The b'ys at Cape Shore Memes tend to keep to themselves, but one of them, who insisted on being called The Meme King, told a writer (who also uses a pseudonym) for The Overcast, an alternative monthly paper in St. John's, that they get many, many, many messages a day with suggestions for the Newfie Word of the Day.

And though it was five years ago, it's definitely worth mentioning #newfoundlandbands, which swept the townie Twitter stream for most of May 17, 2012, and is remembered locally as a day no work was done in St. John's.

Dymond acknowledged that there are those who think puns are a lower form of humour.

"And they're entitled to their wrong opinion," she said. "They're allowed to be wrong."

There was no other provincial joke-type result which made her want to pack up and move, but she was particularly fascinated by Nova Scotia's apparent love of fish jokes.

"What kind of a joke is a fish joke?" she said. "Your mamma jokes — I get your mamma jokes. Dad jokes, dark jokes, corny jokes, I understand all that. But, like — fish jokes?

"Maybe they've got different kinds of jokes and they're trying to throw us off the scent. Maybe it's a red herring."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ypes-1.4249145

Dead.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Hot T from Marty_McFly. We now have raccoons because of one trucker. Truck opened up to unload at the Avalon Mall and a half dozen raccoons jumped out. I hope they're all male.

On the other hand, giant (literally the biggest I've ever seen anywhere) rats are what occupies that niche in our ecosystem. Trash pandas are much cuter - it could be an upgrade. I just hope they don't become as obscenely numerous as moose did here after they were introduced.
It's not uncommon for a lone raccoon to hitch a ride on some cargo and make it here, but half a dozen being accidentally released at once may be quite interesting.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:52 AM
Because it's 2015.

I still haven't ever seen a raccoon.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:49 PM

Last night... Metallica in Edmonton !

Man was that a good concert... the audio (from the floor anyways) was some of the best I've experienced

Concert in it's entirety...

Video Link

Review...
http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...wealth-stadium

And a couple photos, by me...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 10:40 AM

^^ looks like an amazing night for a concert at Commonwealth in Edmonton.
I don't have tickets but I know of people going to Guns & Roses concert at New Mosaic Stadium in Regina later this month, hope it's a beautiful night like Metallica in Edmonton.

I am driving down to Wyoming this morning to get into the full total solar eclipse zone. Forecast is for clear skies so I'm really excited to see it first hand.
Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton are in 70% eclipse zone, Maple Creek & Calgary are in 80% zone and Victoria BC is the only place in Canada in the 90% solar eclipse zone today.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...lipse_2017.png

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada