HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:44 AM

How well is it selling? Has anyone gotten a read in the last few days?

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 8:40 PM

The formal public meeting is on Monday June 1st. The report is now on-line (page 24) http://www.waterloo.ca/Portals/57ad7...le_Meeting.pdf

Staff is recommending approval which is great ... but I hear there's been a petition going around and i'm sure the neighbours will be out in oposition.

It would be great if some of the supporters came out too to balance the debate (hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 12:16 PM

Waterloo approves 19-storey condo

Lots of NIMBYs came out. I'm sad about losing the heritage building, but it's probably for the best.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 1:30 PM

I love NIMBYs. No logic, all emotion.

This $60 million dollar project will only enhance the community. This traffic nonsense... well the LRT will be going right beside the project, cabs are prevalent on those streets and NOW everything is in Uptown that you really don't need to have a car at all. Shopping ALL WITHIN 4-5 blocks; ValuMart & soon Vincenzo's, LCBO, restaurants, bars, clothing, hairdressers...

Plus it's bringing in huge amounts of tax dollars, improving the local community trails and streetscape.

*cue* "Cry Me A River" Justin Timberlake *cue*

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 3:27 PM
Keepin it Real

Quote:
David Antscherl said the condo development is a skyscraper and is out of scale for the rest of the neighbourhood.
Call me crazy, but isn't this the neighbourhood with 2 of the tallest buildings in the city?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 3:48 PM
Urban Advocate

Yup. I bet city planners are kicking themselves for approving those adult-condo bungalows just north of the property however many years ago. I'm sure it will be years before land values get high enough for someone to make the move and buy them all out.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
Yup. I bet city planners are kicking themselves for approving those adult-condo bungalows just north of the property however many years ago. I'm sure it will be years before land values get high enough for someone to make the move and buy them all out.

From what I've heard, apparantely the developer of the Catalina towns wanted to do something much higher density on that site, but the City Council of the time was very small-town minded and anti-intensification. Its too bad because now we'll be stuck with those suburban-style towns for some time.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 10:30 PM

Anyone go to the Grand Opening? How are sales? If you have a price list, could you post it here?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 1:41 AM

Dropped by the presentation centre recently. Sales staff seem to be evasive when it comes to how well it is selling or not? Sounds like they may be lowering there sales targets, probably to make it look like they are achieving their goals. Anyone else getting a read on the success of the early marketing?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smably View Post
Waterloo approves 19-storey condo

Lots of NIMBYs came out. I'm sad about losing the heritage building, but it's probably for the best.
Which heritage building would that be? The factory is not designated as a heritage building. It's just an old factory.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 12:47 PM

It's not designated as a heritage building, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth keeping. Waterloo isn't exactly full of old factory buildings.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 11:20 PM

I can't understand why they fight to save some horrible shit in downtown Kitchener yet this handsome building in Waterloo can't be saved. I mean I love more high rise and density as much as most of you on here but seriously this is a waste. The times I passed this building but never once was I actually offended by it. It seemed very much to scale and added character to Waterloo. Some of those old buildings left on the Centre Block are less deserving than this.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 11:59 PM

It really is too bad the Catalina Town Homes can't be razed instead.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd618 View Post

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd618 View Post

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 2:02 AM

Anybody have a read on sales at 144Park. I thought this would be a slam dunk, but everytime I drive by during open house hours, there never seems to be more than a car or two in the parking lot, which probably belong to the sales staff.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanik View Post
Anybody have a read on sales at 144Park. I thought this would be a slam dunk, but everytime I drive by during open house hours, there never seems to be more than a car or two in the parking lot, which probably belong to the sales staff.
I have no idea where they are sales wise but I think they may have issues regarding value. There are a few Bauer lofts that have never sold that are cheaper. I understand the amenities are different, but it is quite a step up price wise.

What deters me is the down payment. You have to come up with 25% down. For the unit I was looking at, it would mean I'd need $140,000.

I will likely buy there if it gets built, but can't afford such a big down payment.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 2:50 PM

I was seriously looking at these too --as was someone else I know. In both cases it was that downpayment that was the deterrent.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 10:19 PM

Does anyone know how the sales are going actually tho?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer123 View Post
Does anyone know how the sales are going actually tho?
When I asked a while back, I was told that it was company policy not to release sales numbers. I didn't push it, but what that tells me is that things are going slow and that they don't want negative momentum to build. If it was selling like "hot cakes", wouldn't they want that to be known to build some positive momentum. ie. marketing material/ads that say 25% sold.

It is also the dog days of summer, so the presentation centre traffic might be slow. Anyone been by the sales office recently? Any charts with sold stickers?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario