HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Altus at Solo District in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 7, 2017, 10:26 PM

[Burnaby] Southgate City | U/C & Proposed

Quote:
Introducing
Southgate City

Visualize an energetic and cohesive community beautifully defined by its relationship to parks and water. This is Southgate City. Soaring above the slopes of south Burnaby, this revolutionary 60-acre Master Planned Community is born from the celebrated imagination of BC’s original homebuilder, Ledingham McAllister. Shaped by magnificent towers, mid-rises and lush garden-oriented low-rises, this community encircles an expansive and meticulously-planned 5-acrecentral park that is intersected by meandering and sceniccreekside parkways. Day to day needs are easily met with the convenience of community shops and services that include a gourmet grocer, restaurants, cafés, and the luxury of your own world-class, park- sideCommunity Centre. Connect to all of Metro Vancouver via Skytrain just a short walk away. A new community is rising in Burnaby. Come home to Southgate City.

SouthgateCity.com

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 12:14 AM

I'm reposting this here - it's from May 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Safeway Distribution site in Burnaby near Edmonds:

Quote:
The preliminary plan includes the following:
■A gross density of 2.8 FAR
■5.8 Million SF of Market Residential
■200,000 SF of Commercial Space
■Approx. 20 towers up to 46-storeys in height
■15-20 year build-out
http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2014/0...-taking-shape/

http://www.vancouvermarket.ca/2014/0...d-taking-shape

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 12:36 AM

A bit too suburban

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 2:36 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

I've kind of soured on this project and I hope they tone it down. It's just too far from the Skytrain to justify this density. There will never be a Skytrain decently close to this development.

Kind of similar to the River District being built without any bus service at all currently. (Only the 100 which doesn't go down the hill whatsoever.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 3:09 AM

It's a 10 min walk to Edmonds station, close enough for Edmonds town centre.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 4:55 AM

it's closer to the skytrain than highgate village. Quite ambitious.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
I've kind of soured on this project and I hope they tone it down. It's just too far from the Skytrain to justify this density. There will never be a Skytrain decently close to this development.

Kind of similar to the River District being built without any bus service at all currently. (Only the 100 which doesn't go down the hill whatsoever.
2.8 far isn't high density

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
It's a 10 min walk to Edmonds station, close enough for Edmonds town centre.
Yeah it's not that far at all. The western edge of the site is probably closer to a 5 min walk away.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 6:06 AM

The Edmonds bus loop is under the A (of A Grand Vision). That's hardly a million miles away. Plus there's a bus on Griffiths Drive and another on 14th Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 6:58 PM

I wonder how long all this is gonna take to get built out. The good thing about an area like OV/SEFC is that there are multiple developers, so many more projects are completed over time. This development will probly take decades.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I wonder how long all this is gonna take to get built out. The good thing about an area like OV/SEFC is that there are multiple developers, so many more projects are completed over time. This development will probly take decades.
■15-20 year build-out

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 8:34 AM

LedMac reached a deal with BC housing for their site on the other side of 14th AVE. In exchange for the land, they will be building a replacement 3 Story building with 90units and then on the most northern part of BCH's site will be housing for seniors.

https://www.bchousing.org/partner-se...ts/cedar-place
Quote:
About the Project
Cedar Place is an existing 90-unit affordable family housing development in Burnaby, owned and operated by BC Housing.

We signed an agreement with Ledingham McAllister (LedMac), an experienced Lower Mainland developer, to replace Cedar Place with a 2:1 ratio of affordable housing units. LedMac will construct a replacement affordable family housing development across the street from the existing Cedar Place on LedMac’s Southgate development site. We will continue to own and operate the new affordable family housing building.

Once the replacement family housing project is complete, LedMac will develop a new 90-unit seniors housing building on the western edge of the existing Cedar Place site. The development was originally built in 1971.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 7:29 PM

Quite the project! It's sort of feeling to me like the later stages of Concord Pacific Place centered around George Wainbourn Park, which has some positive attributes, but is almost wholly a residential neighbourhood without any meaningful mixed-use. Ledmac can do mixed use pretty well when required (I'm thinking about their projects on Fraser Street and 4th & Fir in Vancouver) but they're a developer with a pretty focused vertical-suburbia mindset and I expect that this will feel a lot like their Lougheed Highway project near Brentwood.

As for proximity to SkyTrain, the western half of the project is close enough to Edmonds Station to count as TOD, but the far eastern side of the project will be a long walk and will be more car-dependent. With that said, I don't think that the distance would be that much different in terms of walking distance than Wall Financial's Boundary and Kingsway-ish project to Joyce Station.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jan 10, 2017 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
A bit too suburban
I agree. Towers with a wide street and a park on the other side is a recipe for dead streetscape.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 10:54 PM

Edmonds is the most spaced out of the town centres in Burnaby.

There's a bit of a battle between commercial focussed on Kingsway & Edmonds, and the unbuilt potential for commercial at the SkyTrain Station.

I think a commercial core at Edmonds Station will depend on development of the empty BC Hydro lot and space across the street.
i.e. commercial space would be viable if it is "on the walk" between the station and Southgate and would draw from the north as well.

I doubt a commercial core away from the station in Southgate itself would be successful.

PS - here's an article on Edmonds Town Cntnre:

http://davidpereira.ca/projects/burn...s-town-centre/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 11:25 PM

Their website says "Day to day needs are easily met with the convenience of community shops and services that include a gourmet grocer, restaurants, cafés, and the luxury of your own world-class, park-side Community Centre." It certainly won't be to the scale of the other town centres but it should cover the basic needs of the people living there.

A few details I pulled out of the City of Burnaby Zoning Bylaw Amendments Public Hearing (pdf - and hopefully the link works for awhile)

For this phase - 321 units

28 storey tower - 213 units
51 - One bedroom + Den (687 sq ft -737 sq ft)
101 - Two bedrooms (777 sq ft - 966 sq ft)
55 - Two bedrooms + Den (933 sq ft - 1,140 sq ft)
6 - Three bedrooms (1,099 sq ft - 1,339 sq ft)

4 storey lowrise - 108 units
33 - One bedroom + Den (623 sq ft - 750 sq ft)
69 - Two bedrooms (794 sq ft - 899 sq ft)
6 - Three bedrooms (938 sq ft - 1041 sq ft)

Parking
321 units @ 1.1 spaces per unit - 354 spaces (including 32 visitor parking spaces and 4 handicapped parking spaces)

...the development is providing 38 (Level 2 AC) Electric Vehicle charging stations, of which 5 are to be provided within the visitors' parking area for the benefit of the residents and their visitors, and 33 are to be provided in the residents parking area as part of the required parking.

Bicycle Parking
321 units @ 2.0 resident lockers/unit - 642 secure spaces
321 units @ 0.2 visitors' spaces/unit - 67 spaces in racks

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I think a commercial core at Edmonds Station will depend on development of the empty BC Hydro lot and space across the street.
i.e. commercial space would be viable if it is "on the walk" between the station and Southgate and would draw from the north as well.
Which 'space across the street' are you referring to? Most or all of the treed area there is part of Byrne Creek Ravine Park.

I wish Hydro would do something with their empty space but they don't seem to be in any hurry.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I wish Hydro would do something with their empty space but they don't seem to be in any hurry.
Roughly 15 years ago, their land was being shopped around, pitching a healthy amount of office development and that went nowhere, which is exactly what the market's response: more office in the middle of nowhere?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 1:49 AM

One's gotta love Burnaby, a city of only 230 000 people, having four Town Centres booming all at once. The total amount of towers proposed / under construction in Burnaby alone must be close to 100 which is mind-blowing number.

I don't mind the more suburban feeling of this development as both Lougheed and Brentwood are already being built around the same mega mall concept and Metrotown is built as a walkable downtown. Edmonds is too spread out to make anything more sensible than is being proposed. Shame about the distance to the Skytrain station, which is going to be crowded in 10+ years when many of these towers begin to complete.

Quote:
PS - here's an article on Edmonds Town Centre:
http://davidpereira.ca/projects/burn...s-town-centre/
Very interesting read and explains well the how come Edmonds has been built so inconveniently vs. where Skytrain station is. A good example of how rushed planning, community resistance to change and compromises with key development will become problematic as decades pass. Good planning is a key to succesful neighbourhoods.

Reading that website also makes me appreciate how progressive Metro Vancouver planner have been in the 70s and 80s in their consultations and planning visions.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 1:55 AM

Another YAY for Burnaby. No need to tone it down. In fact, an increase in density would be even better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley