HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
There seems to be a large number of abandoned art deco buildings in most cities, that pretty strange considering they are the most beautiful usually. I wonder why that is...?
They are right in that prime age between still useful as originally built and needs massive renovations to convert them to a new use. Around 70-80 years of age most buildings need nearly all of their systems replaced and major longterm maintenance like tuckpointing completed. This makes them prime targets for abandonment and demolition. At a certain point people realize the threat posed to the beautiful style they are destroying and its appeal as a "classic" design soars and developers snap them up for conversion to residential or boutique commercial space.

Early modernist buildings are beginning to enter this stage as well so its really important we protect our Deco and early Modern gems long enough for them to become appreciated (deco is pretty well on its way right now, we are on the tail end of this trend in Deco I believe).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 10:10 PM
Onkel Dagobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The Federal government did a preservation study on these, and it recommended saving/rehabbing the Century Building while tearing down the three buildings to the south (the North American Bldg and two small shops). A new tower would then be built and integrated with the Century.

Interesting info. I had no idea that the feds also owned 220 S. State Street. I also always thought that the building's name was 1 Quincy Court, now I know its original name-thanks

At least it isn't completely vacant like the Century Building, there is a Payless shoe store at the base which livens up the street facade a bit. Are there no tenants on the upper floors? I found this 1987 news article saying the there was some renovation work done to the interior of the building. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...ing-park-plaza
I wonder how it has fared since then. After 25 years the interior is certainly ready for some renovations again.

From the outside it seems like it is in better shape than the Century Building. Do you know why the preservation study recommended for this building to be torn down?

I think tearing down the North American Building would be just as bad as destroying the Century Building. Hopefully with the budget deficits the feds won’t have any funding in the near future to construct anything on this site.

Knowing the real name of the building I was able to find a nice picture of how it used to look like in the past.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:20 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
From the outside it seems like it is in better shape than the Century Building. Do you know why the preservation study recommended for this building to be torn down?

I think tearing down the North American Building would be just as bad as destroying the Century Building. Hopefully with the budget deficits the feds won’t have any funding in the near future to construct anything on this site.
Oops... my mistake. I actually meant to say that the Century Building will be preserved, and the Consumers Building will be demolished. The Federal government does not own the North American Building.

The preservation consultants made a judgment that the Century Building was a unique building with historical significance - its strong vertical design is a predecessor to Art Deco. It also has an beautiful 1950s lobby, which is another unique feature. The Consumers Building is in better shape, but it's a fairly generic 1920s terracotta skyscraper.

The consultants also recommended that the full cornice be rebuilt, and the 1950s lobby be preserved, thereby returning the Century Building to a 1958 appearance on the outside.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 9:11 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I can't figure out how to pull the image files out from the site, but here's the biggest example of a vacant building in Philadelphia: the Beury Building, waaaay up in North Philadelphia.
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...nt=AguaTag.jpg
It is currently in foreclosure, so perhaps the new owner, whosoever it be, can do something with it.

This building, the Lafayette Building, at the corner of 5th Independence Mall East and Chestnut, is the biggest total vacancy I know of in Center City, and IIRC has been so since 1999. It is, however, currently undergoing a hotel conversion.

source: emporis.com (no duh!)

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
Brickell Financial Center - 40 stories. It's basically on hold. I think the made it weather tight and just stopped, waiting for the market to rebound.

Freedom Tower - Miami's first skyscraper. They keep talking about doing something with it, but as far as I know it's empty.

I took some pictures for you guys.

BFC

by me, on Flickr

Freedom Tower (apparently being worked on again)

by me, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 4:40 AM

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 4:36 PM

I don't know if this has already been posted..
but the Royal Connaught Hotel in Hamilton:

Both the white and brown building are empty, I walk past them every day between work and the train station.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 5:27 PM
Community Guy

^that is sickening to have those lay empty.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 6:27 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

the largest vacant building in San Antonio that I know of. Used to be corporate offices for ATT until they moved to Dallas a couple years ago.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 6:39 PM

Sears offices at Homan Square - Chicago

Note Sears Tower on the horizon.

(all photos mine)

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 8:48 PM
Only Mostly Dead

So many beautiful buildings waiting for new life.

Here's San Francisco's most prominent vacant building, the former PacBell Building now known simply as 140 New Montgomery. Like others mentioned here, the owners want to convert it to condos and presumably are waiting for the condo market to strengthen. They might want to consider making it apartments instead since the market for those is strong as ever.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 9:29 PM

^^^The old Pacific Bell Building is beautiful!

Here is a interesting story of a 45 story skyscraper that was abandoned over a decade ago and is now filled with squatters.

In today's New York Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/01/wo...ef=todayspaper

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 9:33 PM

That's interesting that building in Venezuela. I am worried about the squatters though. What would happen if the building caught fire. A lot of them could die. Especially if the leave trash hanging around, but hopefully someone nice would come along, and have it converted into a mixed use tower for all of them to live in.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Here is a interesting story of a 45 story skyscraper that was abandoned over a decade ago and is now filled with squatters.

Thx - wild story

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 9:51 PM
Meh

Austin's Stephen F. Austin Hotel sat vacant for about 10 years until the late 90s. It was completely restored and is again a hotel. This was Austin's tallest hotel from 1924 to 1981. It's 181 feet tall and has 15 floors. It may also have been the tallest building to sit vacant in Austin.

http://www.booked.net/hotel/80750/In..._overview.html

The view.

http://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Revi...tin_Texas.html

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 10:11 PM

Rockford Il, down by the river

Pair of old industrial buildings

Creative re-use - concert stage. (seating is on the lawn)

Last edited by harryc; Mar 2, 2011 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 10:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Wow, 45 storeys of squatters!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 10:35 PM
video et taceo

a squatter co-op!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 12:03 AM

Brach's - Chicago

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 2:08 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^Montreal has many very similar buildings...some of which lay in ruins for decades...now being rehabilitated into Condos. Including the Lowney Candy factory.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture