HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

I answered my own question in another post. (... excuse me for that, please).

So, Vancouver has no Stock Exchange now. Not surprising. But my rhetorical question is really, WHAT is our economic base here, and HOW do we ramp it up? Calgary has overtaken us in the number of head offices, due to its centre of the oil industry, but what does Vancouver potentially have that will give it some real economic punch? What industries could we xpand on? How could we diversify the economy? (I know the economy is more diversified than before, but for decades, it just relied on primary resource industry). Points to ponder.
Our own provincial oil and gas possibilities are decent. Then there's mining, or the next Microsoft. Mayor Moonbeam would see us as the green energy capital...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2010, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Our own provincial oil and gas possibilities are decent. Then there's mining, or the next Microsoft. Mayor Moonbeam would see us as the green energy capital...
Interesting. Howso the next Microsoft, though? Could you elaborate on that, perhaps? (... and why "Mayor 'Moonbeam"....? ... out of sheer curiosity)

I had always hoped Vancouver would develop a larger pharmaceutical industry. I wonder if the foundation stones for that are there?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 3:25 AM

The Global Cities Index 2010 by Foreign Policy, A.T. Kearney, and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs just got out...http://www.foreignpolicy.com/node/373401

guess what, vancouver is so globalized and powerful, that nobody dared to put us in the competition...seriously, we'd rank ahead of chongqing, anyone ever heard of the city?

i think surrey was never able to stand up, that's why we r still in the dark

at least we still have t.o in the fight near the top,haha~~

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 4:18 AM

Cool The illusion finally put to rest, and buried

I cut and pasted the stats from Vansky's contribution (hope that's ok; thanks Vansky), with the hope of finally getting this absurd notion out of people's heads that we're in the top 25. People actually believed it at the time! ! ! !
What a crock! ! ! Vancouver is a city in the Pacific mist, living with delusional myths. We have miles to go.

AUGUST 20, 2010
BLOGSDaniel DreznerDavid HoffmanMarc LynchTom RicksDavid RothkopfStephen Walt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The CableThe CallMadam SecretaryThe MultilateralistNet EffectThe Oil and the GloryPassportShadow Govt.Turtle BayCHANNELSAfPakMiddle East
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ChinaEnergyIndiaRussiaWEEKLY COLUMNSChristian CarylJames TraubSmall Wars JournalSPECIAL REPORTSFailed States IndexTop 100 Global ThinkersFEATURESArgumentsPhoto EssaysThe ListThink AgainFP ExplainerPrime NumbersPRINT MAGAZINELatest IssueArchiveSubscribeDaniel DreznerDavid HoffmanMarc LynchTom RicksDavid RothkopfStephen Walt
The CableThe CallMadam SecretaryThe MultilateralistNet EffectThe Oil and the GloryPassportShadow Govt.Turtle BayAfPakMiddle East
ChinaEnergyIndiaRussiaMorning Brief: U.S. to boost aid to Pakistan AfPak Daily brief: floodwaters to stay until the end of August Mideast Daily News Brief -- August 11, 2010 The Beginning of the End The Last Act The LWOT: Gitmo Detainee Freed, CIA “Finds” Interrogation Tape - by Andrew Lebovich Is China Turning Japanese? Gone Fishing - by Brian Fung Daniel W. Drezner: So you want to become an expert..... Turtle Bay: Pakistan: Help us, or the terrorists win. FP Passport: The Obama era's not that great for Kenya The Cable: State Department on Mideast talks: "We're very, very close to an agreement” The Call: Vladimir Putin: Superstar The Global Cities Index 2010
In this second collaboration between Foreign Policy, A.T. Kearney, and the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, we bring you the world's top global cities.
Rank City Rank by Population Rank by GDP
1 New York 6 2
2 London 28 5
3 Tokyo 1 1
4 Paris 20 6
5 Hong Kong 31 14
6 Chicago 25 4
7 Los Angeles 12 3
8 Singapore 38 23
9 Sydney 43 24
10 Seoul 22 19
11 Brussels 54 48
12 San Francisco 46 16
13 Washington 42 10
14 Toronto 36 20
15 Beijing 13 33
16 Berlin 48 46
17 Madrid 34 22
18 Vienna 55 40
19 Boston 41 11
20 Frankfurt 64 20
20 Shanghai 7 21
22 Buenos Aires 11 12
23 Stockholm 59 52
24 Zurich 61 58
25 Moscow 19 13
26 Barcleona 37 31
27 Dubai 56 49
28 Rome 49 37
29 Amsterdam 63 60
30 Mexico City 5 8
31 Montreal 44 35
32 Geneva 65 61
33 Miami 58 54
33 Munich 35 18
35 Sao Paulo 3 9
36 Bangkok 32 42
37 Copenhagen 60 59
38 Houston 40 17
39 Taipei 53 26
40 Atlanta 39 15
41 Istanbul 21 30
42 Milan 52 39
43 Cairo 17 36
44 Dublin 62 55
45 New Delhi 2 32
46 Mumbai 4 25
47 Osaka 16 7
48 Kuala Lumpur 57 65
49 Rio de Janeiro 14 27
50 Tel Aviv 50 40
51 Manila 15 34
52 Johannesburg 45 43
53 Jakarta 24 47
54 Bogota 29 45
55 Caracas 51 62
56 Nairobi 47 64
57 Guangzhou 27 38
58 Bangalore 30 53
59 Lagos 18 63
60 Karachi 10 50
61 Ho Chi Minh City 33 56
62 Shenzhen 26 28
63 Kolkata 8 44
64 Dhaka 9 50
65 Chongqing 23 57

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 4:27 AM

ya, thanks tro

i saw a similar list in 08, was hoping the american dominated firms would reconsider van after we got the olympics, the canada line and all the new infrastructure...after 2 yrs

but out of the list makes u work harder to be in the list, which is a good thing at the end...btw, i read somewhere that Canon decided to open a regional or sth head office here...finally sth big

i think van's made significant progress...back then in the 90s everything was built from the 70s and 80s...

i'd say 10 yrs more for vancouver, another 65 for surrey....optimistically speaking

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
ya, thanks tro

i saw a similar list in 08, was hoping the american dominated firms would reconsider van after we got the olympics, the canada line and all the new infrastructure...after 2 yrs

but out of the list makes u work harder to be in the list, which is a good thing at the end...btw, i read somewhere that Canon decided to open a regional or sth head office here...finally sth big

i think van's made significant progress...back then in the 90s everything was built from the 70s and 80s...

i'd say 10 yrs more for vancouver, another 65 for surrey
10 more years? I'd say that's a bit optimistic, sadly ......... although I would have expected to see Dallas or Houston on that list, and I don't think they are ... (?)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 4:32 AM

optimistically speaking for surrey

van only needs 10 yrs to catch up to sth within the 60 cities range

everyone knows it from the olympics now...

but the thing is, some ppl still think the city is new york for canada, which is largely based on its gateway location and business reputation...and when u go ask business ppl, suddenly it ranks higher than average on sth like the global financial index, then when u judge it by other factors, it doesn't work out so much...

no headquarters, not enough political or cultural invovlement...l.a got the oscar, van's film festival, i dont even know when it is...and ubc sadly can't compete with the major universities...the city is trying hard on infrastructure, but the human and economic factors is a long way to go...

Last edited by vansky; Aug 20, 2010 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
10 more years? I'd say that's a bit optimistic, sadly ......... although I would have expected to see Dallas or Houston on that list, and I don't think they are ... (?)
it's an american one, if they put every major city in the country on the list, i think that's too greedy, miami and atlanta are already open for debate...
but if u put those two on, might well just include houston...

if u look at european and asian rankings, u.s ones like l.a and chicago are slightly lower, it's all biased...i'm surprised, that the japanese one done earlier inthe yr didn't put tokyo on the top...for the pride

shanghainese think it'st he top in china, along with tokyo and singapore...which it's not, but it's all about pride and vancouverites have a lot sometimes...i've heard so many comment,s this is the world, this is the city, the gateway, the world class, number 1, the man...etc etc etc

where is it on the list?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 5:51 AM

This list is not a ranking of financial centres... did you even read the study before going on this asinine tangent?

Quote:
So what makes a Global City? Not size alone, that's for sure; many of the world's largest megalopolises, such as Karachi (60), Lagos (59), and Kolkata (63), barely make the list. Instead, the index aims to measure how much sway a city has over what happens beyond its own borders -- its influence on and integration with global markets, culture, and innovation. To create this year's rankings, we analyzed 65 cities with more than 1 million people across every region of the globe, using definitive sources to tally everything from a city's business activity, human capital, and information exchange to its cultural experience and political engagement.
This is a ranking of global cities, not financial centres. Its a collaboration between teh school of policy and the school of global affairs. Do you really think more finance happens in Lagos? Karachi? Use your heads guys and do some research before posting.

bottom line, this list is a subjective list based on how much the authors think the cities interact with the world. many of the measures they use are not quantifiable and that is the reason you see so much backlash regarding "global city" rankings, be they a straight linear ranking or alpha, beta, gamma city ranking etc...

Last edited by LeftCoaster; Aug 20, 2010 at 6:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
This list is not a ranking of financial centres... did you even read the study before going on this asinine tangent?

This is a ranking of global cities, not financial centres. Its a collaboration between teh school of policy and the school of global affairs. Do you really think more finance happens in Lagos? Karachi? Use your heads guys and do some research before posting.

bottom line, this list is a subjective list based on how much the authors think the cities interact with the world. many of the measures they use are not quantifiable and that is the reason you see so much backlash regarding "global city" rankings, be they a straight linear ranking or alpha, beta, gamma city ranking etc...
anyways, i dont like arguing, so i admit that i didn't study the stuff, and made stupid comments...

but the shit is, how can u ignore a city like vancouver on this list,since we r so globalized in every aspect of our life, eat sushi and drink pop...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 8:57 AM

I knew someone would post about this here...I'm currently doing a paper that has to do with these global city rankings, and to an extent it is a little arbitrary but it does say something about a city if it's among the rankings of several of these lists or even all of these types of studies.

There are about five of these studies, and this Chicago ranking is just one of them. There's also one done by the Longborough University in the UK, the Globalization and World Cities Research Network with its latest ranking done in 2008, which lists cities in alpha, beta, and gamma. Both Vancouver and Montreal in the Gamma+ category (Seattle and Brisbane are also among the cities in Gamma+).

Alpha++ (New York, London); Alpha + (includes Singapore, Sydney); Alpha (includes Toronto, Chicago, Kuala Lumpur); Alpha- (i don't remember).

The Beta and Gamma levels have +, regular, and - subcategories too.

Again, out of all five rankings, Vancouver is only mentioned in the Longborough. We lucked out, IMO. Then again, Montreal is listed in only two of these surveys (in the Foreign Policy/Chicago ranking and the one by Longborough) and Seattle is only listed in Longborough.

On the other hand, do note that Vancouver is among the top of list in every Livable City survey. So there is merit to that, that the city is indeed 'very livable'.

Of course, there's every opportunity for the Vancouver region to devolve by continuing to indulge itself into a pig mud hole of smug, self-satisfaction, and tree hugging to the point that it becomes uncompetitive. The cities that make it to all of these lists run on hard work, progress, and daring vision...which is something this region lacks collectively.

What makes a Global City according to Foreign Policy?

So what makes a Global City? Not size alone, that's for sure; many of the world's largest megalopolises, such as Karachi (60), Lagos (59), and Kolkata (63), barely make the list. Instead, the index aims to measure how much sway a city has over what happens beyond its own borders -- its influence on and integration with global markets, culture, and innovation. To create this year's rankings, we analyzed 65 cities with more than 1 million people across every region of the globe, using definitive sources to tally everything from a city's business activity, human capital, and information exchange to its cultural experience and political engagement. Data ranged from how many Fortune Global 500 company headquarters were in a city to the size of its capital markets and the flow of goods through its airports and ports, as well as factors such as the number of embassies, think tanks, political organizations, and museums. Taken together, a city's performance on this slate of indicators tells us how worldly -- or provincial -- it really is.

I'll end it at there, the Longborough GAWC is a little different.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 1:41 PM

Please remember: this is a scale ranking cities as FINANCIAL CENTRES, and does not take into account liveability, nice parks and so forth. It's about the amount of money held and traded in the city

For example, Lagos, a crowded, dirty place, may have made it because of Nigerian OIL, for example (as in $$$$$$$; you know?)

Last edited by trofirhen; Aug 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 1:45 PM

Exclamation Someone sees the light !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Again, out of all five rankings, Vancouver is only mentioned in the
Of course, there's every opportunity for the Vancouver region to devolve by continuing to indulge itself into a pig mud hole of smug, self-satisfaction, and tree hugging to the point that it becomes uncompetitive. The cities that make it to all of these lists run on hard work, progress, and daring vision...which is something this region lacks collectively.
Thank you Mr; X !! You put it in a nutshell. There it is!!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 4:54 PM

I"m not sure what the controversy is in this thread. The thread was never about World Cities or Livable Cities. It was strictly about Financial Centres. I think some of the posters misinterpreted what was originally posted. Many posters evidently feel that Vancouver doesn't belong on a list of World Cities, and fair enough, but nobody has given a meaningful counterpoint for why Vancouver should not be on a list of Financial Centres.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
I"m not sure what the controversy is in this thread. The thread was never about World Cities or Livable Cities. It was strictly about Financial Centres. I think some of the posters misinterpreted what was originally posted. Many posters evidently feel that Vancouver doesn't belong on a list of World Cities, and fair enough, but nobody has given a meaningful counterpoint for why Vancouver should not be on a list of Financial Centres.
Hell, I'm no financier, but Vancouver has no MAJOR corporate head offices, no stock exchange, and doesn't exert the corporate clout that even Seattle does. The economy here is not diversified enough, there is no leading industry -unless you include forestry - and the city has airplanes with no Business Class seats flying into and out of it. (... a leisure market, mostly)

Yes, there is advertising, film, real estate, and anumber of other things, but nowhere near enough to put it in the same league as Madrid, Seatlle, Houston, Dallas, Munich ..... let alone Amsterdam, Paris, Stockholm, Frankfurt, Sydney, Toronto, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, HK, Singapore, ...... Paris, London, NY, Tokyo, hahahaha

I't's a fine city we have here, yes! But it is just isn't one of the world's TOP 25 FINANCIAL CENTRES, so let's not fool ourselves with delusions of grandeur.

Last edited by trofirhen; Aug 20, 2010 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 5:43 PM

You missed the big one that was discussed earlier: mining. Is that enough to put Vancouver 7th in North America? I don't know. Apparently this is a global centre for mining companies and certain financial institutions. Do you think you know better than the group who wrote the original article?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
You missed the big one that was discussed earlier: mining. Is that enough to put Vancouver 7th in North America? I don't know. Apparently this is a global centre for mining companies and certain financial institutions. Do you think you know better than the group who wrote the original article?
Of course I don't! But do you think that even with mining, that puts us in the top 25? Of course it's significant, but we still don't have the clout that financial centres and petrol centres like Houston do. Anyway, wasn't listed in the article anywhere that Vansky posted. Nowhere.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 7:38 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Ok, this is going nowhere.
It wasn't a list of cities with largest economies, or cities with largest numbers of HQs, etc. It was a list of financial centres. That's not the same thing as number of large corporate HQs.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 7:53 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Between Vancouver and Toronto we've got our fingers in a lot of peoples pies with our mining companies. I might be biased from being a mining engineer, but as far as cities go, we've got a lot of activity on that front.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2010, 7:59 PM

wealth and financial management is a huge business in vancouver which also contributes to the standing

people have to be making money in this city somehow -- how else can they be affording $750,000 homes in east van?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy