HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

90 George in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Now that you brought the solar panel idea up, my question is why are condo developers (both high and lowrise) not installing solar panels on the roofs of their new buildings? Sure this requires some initial capital investment, but it reduces the building's reliance on the city's electrical grid which decreases hydro costs, it imrpoves sustainable living, its not an eyesore, plus the cost of solar panels is on a steady downward slope.

I know from my recent travels around Australia, Asia and Europe, that solar panels are being placed on the roofs of as many buildings as possible. Even subsidized housing apartment buildings have them in some places like Amsterdam (where it rains A LOT).

I think this is yet more proof of how far we are behind Europe and Asia in terms of technological advancement and sustainable living. One day, lets hope, our Fed. Gvt. will introduce some huge incentives for developers and building owners to add solar panels to their roofs so that it becomes economically viable for them to do so....Surely it won't happen with Bush's mini-me in power.
...and whatever happened to the city's "green roof" campaign?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungodlycrosscheck View Post
Ah gee-whiz, I can't let this go... Mini-me? Give me a break.

The federal government introduced production measures aimed at encouraging investment in renewable energy through programs, namely the $1.48 billion ecoEnergy for Renewable Power (ecoRP), which includes a suite of eligible energy sources including solar, biomass, wind, geothermal etc.

The ecoRP provides a market incentive of one cent per kilowatt-hour for up to 10 years to eligible low-impact, renewable electricity projects constructed over the next four years, April 1, 2007 to March 31, 2011. This is generally consistent with federal incentives in the US, although Congress is currently considering a more lucrative tax credit for renewables and low-impact non-renewables such as stationary fuel cells.

If the Harper Conservatives can be criticized it lies in how narrowly it defines eligible energy sources under the Eco Energy Program, by excluding low-impact alternatives which policymakers would expect would be a part of an integrated approach for transitioning away from a carcon based economy.

The Harper Conservatives also deserve credit for changes made to the Income Tax Act in Budget 2006, specifically section 43.1 which makes investments across a range of energy sources INCLUDING solar eligible for a capital cost allowance of 50 per cent.

Thanks for the reply, I was not aware of all of what you mentioned. But it looks like there is disconnect somewhere. Sure its all nice and rosy on paper, but why are we not seeing results? Is it due to a miserable promotional campaign? Why does subsidized housing in Europe have solar panels on their roofs (even in areas which don't get much sun) and we don't even have them on the roofs or regular housing here? Is it due to our snowy winters? I always thought that snow was not a deterrant to solar panels. So I would not be so quick to praise the Conservatives. I also would not use the USA as a comparison. Use Europe and Asia instead as they are better role models.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:17 PM
Mooderator

I took a shot of the much-talked about panels today from Laurier.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I took a shot of the much-talked about panels today from Laurier.
A little more transparent than I had anticipated, but still better than having all that mechanical exposed. I know some on here aren't too happy about this building, but I think they did an excellent job blending in with both the George and Rideau streetwalls. The setback is enough to make it not look out of place and it will also benefit the residents as a bit of a buffer for noise (and bus pollution....don't get me going on that one). It's a nice addition to the area.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 5:08 PM
you know my steez

I don't think this one is quite ready to have a fork stuck in it. Hording is still up and the back end (not pictured) still looks quite sloppy.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez View Post
I don't think this one is quite ready to have a fork stuck in it. Hording is still up and the back end (not pictured) still looks quite sloppy.

Yeah it doesn't look like anyone has moved in yet.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yeah it doesn't look like anyone has moved in yet.
I am hearing (from a friend who bought in the building) that move in dates have now been pushed back (again) to March. There was an article in the Citizen last week about delays on Condo projects in Ottawa, but this one has to take the cake.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2008, 7:53 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Well, at least the hoarding on Rideau Street is out and we can see the full retail facade. This is actually a decent example of podium-and-tower development. From the skyline, though, the roof could've been peaked all the way to the top - it would have echoed the turrets of Parliament and the Chateau Laurier.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 1:00 AM

My friend's father bought two condos from this project. From the sounds of it, the units (and the building) will be well worth the wait. Though I really don't understand why so many delays, I do understand the complexity of these large-scale projects and the balance between efficient construction and a quality product.

Last edited by AuxTown; Nov 11, 2008 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 4:29 AM

Just please don't tell me there's another Shopper's/Pharma Plus/Rexall moving into the ground floor retail space!!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 7:45 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movebyleap View Post
Just please don't tell me there's another Shopper's/Pharma Plus/Rexall moving into the ground floor retail space!!
From what I know, there is New Look Eyewear and Rinaldo's spa, and they are looking for an upscale food shop.

(Whole Foods, are you there?)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 8:06 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
and they are looking for an upscale food shop.
Canadian Tire?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 4:07 PM
Mooderator

Shot from yesterday.. anyone know what's going on with the Westin sign? looks like they're redoing it..

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 5:49 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
From the sounds of it, the units (and the building) will be well worth the wait.
That depends greatly on the person. I for one wasn't willing to wait any longer no matter how much quality and luxury they stuffed into the units/building.

And while the advertised quality and luxury is very high, I should mention that my disappointment with one of the building's more important amenities (to me - the indoor pool) sealed the opt-out deal with me.

I had a walk-through of the building last winter where I was able to visit what was to become my unit and also what would become the lobby, common, and amenity areas. The indoor pool was depicted in the renderings as being a decent size

but in reality what I saw was a hole in the ground less than half that size at best. It was so tiny I just had to laugh, as did pretty much everyone else in the group. I've seen small indoor 'lap' pools (such as at 570 Laurier) that were bigger than this thing.

Anyway, at the end of the day my mind was pretty much made up so I moved on. I'm sure those who are waiting out all of the delays will be satisfied when the finally take occupancy.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 12:01 AM

Overall, the building really adds a presence to the downtown/market skyline, especially looking down Rideau. The podium is nice, fits in at street level.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
My friend's father bought two condos from this project. From the sounds of it, the units (and the building) will be well worth the wait. Though I really don't understand why so many delays, I do understand the complexity of these large-scale projects and the balance between efficient construction and a quality product.
its not a quality issue when they crane stood by itself for 6 months. its a money issue.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 10:46 PM

Very true.

Also, I noticed that Westin is changing their sign on the other side of the building as well to white letters. It looks really classy at night compared to the red light district vibe they were going for previously.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 10:51 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 2:37 AM

90 George looks good, just wish they had done like a 5-6 storey podium with that same fascia on Rideau, and made the tower like 25 floors on top of that...so that it would stand out from all of the buildings of similar height in that small area.

Still, nice looking building, it's very oldschool-ultramodern looking...(which makes me think they made the building look that way to blend in better with all of the older towers in the neighbourhood a little better overall).

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 3:47 PM
Mooderator

1 dec. 2008

façade on the left..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa