HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 6:32 PM

I was driving down #3 Road in Richmond yesterday.. looking at the monster of a track that split the city in half.. and was thinking.. what if they built Canada Line to the airport and took the money to build the Richmond leg and used it to build LRT from Bridgeport to Steveston down the middle of #3. That would have been amazing.

Ron.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
I was driving down #3 Road in Richmond yesterday.. looking at the monster of a track that split the city in half.. and was thinking.. what if they built Canada Line to the airport and took the money to build the Richmond leg and used it to build LRT from Bridgeport to Steveston down the middle of #3. That would have been amazing.

Ron.
NOT really. Cars and trains don't mix on any level. It would have ruined #3 road. The Canada Line was built properly on a separated guide-way. The on goof up was making the stations platforms too short.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 7:01 PM

Quote:

Ron.
At grade LRT down #3 road? I'm going to assume this is a joke post. My heart rate went up just thinking about it.

And where would it run and end in Steveston once it left #3 road?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 7:03 PM

The following article is a joke. The author is saying we should take what someone else decided even if it is a bad situation? That's like someone giving you a free car but it is a lemon. Forget that!! Ask for a different model. All the LRT street car is going to do is screw up my commute along 104th and KG. I would rather wait for the right plan to be built than being stuck with a piece of crap forever.

SURREY (NEWS 1130) — Progress could be delayed for many more years if some civic candidates opposed to light rail in Surrey get what they want.

The Better Transit and Transportation Coalition supports the ten-year plan developed by Metro Vancouver mayors, which includes light rail in Surrey. Chair Peter Ladner argues the money has been dedicated for the second phase of the plan, and starting over with another idea, say a SkyTrain line for Surrey, would likely delay progress in the city for another decade.

“However much you might like SkyTrain, it’s not on the plans, it hasn’t been approved, there is no money for it, and if Surrey were to decide to bail on light rail, the money that’s dedicated for Surrey would very likely go somewhere else, such as the line to UBC,” Ladner tells NEWS 1130.

He’s afraid that calls for LRT to be scrapped in favour of SkyTrain could delay progress by another decade.

“We think we should see this opportunity and work to improve other options in the future, but take advantage of what we have now in hand,” he adds.

Ladner adds while it’s none of his business to tell people in Surrey how to vote, he’s urging them to be realistic about promises being made. His message to voters:

“They should be realistic about the promises that are being made. If somebody’s promising a SkyTrain that can’t be financed and will be built a decade later than light rail, then they should weigh that into their decisions.”

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 8:23 PM

It's a stupid argument - we have the money now, so instead of waiting a bit longer, lets make a 100 year mistake.

That said, I view it as a built-form issue, not necessarily an LRT vs SkyTrain issue (at least for Newton-Guildford).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
It's a stupid argument - we have the money now, so instead of waiting a bit longer, lets make a 100 year mistake.

That said, I view it as a built-form issue, not necessarily an LRT vs SkyTrain issue (at least for Newton-Guildford).
It's a silly argument, but the point was to use Federal funds currently available from past taxation to construct LRT, because those funds will not be readily available for a Skytrain business case, until maybe 2-5 years from now (if, say, Doug McCallum or other anti-LRT parties like Integrity Now got in, which is a necessary precursor, and then a new business case to be approved by the Federal government, which may not be the current Liberal government who is pro transit). The argument was that it is better to get something than nothing serves this very well. Who knows how successful or a failure LRT will be. Even then, money spent for a failure at first will influence changing behaviors and traffic patterns down the line (literally), and possibly make LRT a success. As a Surrey resident who lives blocks away from skytrain, I am very curious and will keep an open mind. When Coquitilam can get a skytrain despite a smaller population and arguably most residents indifferent to it, I rather take anything for Surrey at this point than nothing.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 10:53 PM

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:

Ron.
LRT to YVR then Steveston, maybe. If SkyTrain is monstrous and city-splitting, train tracks down No.3 would be equally so. No green median, no bike lanes, more crowding for any pedestrian/rider/driver using Richmond's primary arterial - an especially bad idea when one accounts for Richmond drivers.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Thought experiment: would an LRT tunneled through to Guildford be able to get to Port Coq and the Millennium Line?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Thought experiment: would an LRT tunneled through to Guildford be able to get to Port Coq and the Millennium Line?
Assuming you're using Lougheed, no. Its already been said (can't remember where) that Lougheed cannot be widened any more than it is now.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 1:44 AM

"skytrain track a city splitting monster"

thatsbait.gif

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 3:50 AM

The Calgary monster strikes again! This is another reason I am so against street level LRT.

Child Dies After Being Hit by C-Train

Calgary Alberta - A 10-year-old girl has died after being hit by a C-Train on Monday morning, according to Calgary police.

She was rushed to the Alberta Children's Hospital in life-threatening condition after the accident in the city's southwest.

Police say EMS was called to the Somerset-Bridlewood station around 08:00.

As of 09:45 C-Trains were still not running between the Somerset and Fish Creek stations.

Shuttles were ferrying passengers between the two stops.

Author unknown.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 6:51 AM

Quote:

Ron.
Would have cut it in half even harder when traffic and pedestrian flow is at the mercy of multi-ton metal beast that could obliterate a car.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 7:01 AM

Quote:

Ron.
you must be a troll, as this cant be real since no one would think this unless they are trolling. it is just so utterly ridiculous. "split the city in half"

go walk under a guide-way on a landscaped sidewalk, now go walk across train tracks with a train every 2 mins. oh wait, there would need to be a fence; so you couldn't. tell me which one splits a city in half more.

no one is this stupid, so you have to be a troll.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
you must be a troll, as this cant be real since no one would think this unless they are trolling. it is just so utterly ridiculous. "split the city in half"

go walk under a guide-way on a landscaped sidewalk, now go walk across train tracks with a train every 2 mins. oh wait, there would need to be a fence; so you couldn't. tell me which one splits a city in half more.

no one is this stupid, so you have to be a troll.
There would be a fence and some zig-zag bars where pedestrians are basically forced to look both ways before crossing. It would be like a perforation of the city.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 8:55 AM

For the Canada Line proposal at-grade down 3 Road, the SNC-Lavalin proposal (high floor vehicles) had most cross streets closed, except major intersections.
See footnotes marked "Traffic Impacts" here:

Quote:
Remember, these were the proposals that made it to the Best and Final Offer Stage.
The alternate proposals were to appease Richmond's desire for an at-grade system on No. 3 Rd.
Note the "Traffic Impacts" of the at-grade options.

RAVExpress (Bombardier) had the line in open trench in the middle of Cambie St. between 49th Ave. and 63rd Ave.
and in the middle (not the side) of No. 3 Rd. (meaning tall mezzanine / Brentwood-like stations).

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Doc...mendations.pdf

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Doc...mendations.pdf

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 7:12 PM

Closed intersections and no left turns on those four arterials also means one pedestrian crossing every 800 metres and unnecessary drastic reroutes of a half-dozen bus lines. That's a hard blow to walkability, and to the rest of the transit network.

Might've worked on Garden City, but a main corridor like No. 3? Hardly a "complete" street - more like a reduced one.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 7:14 PM

Quote:

Ron.
#3 road cut off Richmond much worse when the busway was on it. The fact that they chose to have the guidway on the side of the street has actually improved the connectivity of richmond by reducing the width of street. I feel the same thing could happen along fraser highway if they design the skytrain to run along the side of the street. I could reduce the width of the street and make it less of a burden to cross.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardak View Post
#3 road cut off Richmond much worse when the busway was on it. The fact that they chose to have the guidway on the side of the street has actually improved the connectivity of richmond by reducing the width of street. I feel the same thing could happen along fraser highway if they design the skytrain to run along the side of the street. I could reduce the width of the street and make it less of a burden to cross.
They've already been creating the right-of-way along Fraser Highway along the north side of the street. It shouldn't be too hard to put a guideway there.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 12:36 AM
Eat the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
They've already been creating the right-of-way along Fraser Highway along the north side of the street. It shouldn't be too hard to put a guideway there.
This report from Translink confirms that Skytrain will be mostly side-running along Fraser (https://www.translink.ca/-/media/Doc..._July-2017.pdf, p. 39 and 41). Most stations would have side platforms and a single entry.

I know I’ve been harping about the Fleetwood BIA, but their rendering does kind of match up with the report, which calls for a mezzanine and 2 entries for 160th St station. However, the rest of Fraser Highway would likely be side-running.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure