HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 8:25 PM
More transit please

This thread has become ridiculous with the canadian predictions.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 8:33 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
This thread has become ridiculous with the canadian predictions.
The Amazon HQ thread in the main City Discussion section is even worse. The first 7 pages don't mention Canada at all. When Canada does come up, most of the posts are condescending, dismissive, or puzzled as to why Amazon would even consider a Canadian locale.

You'd think we were Uzbekistan the way some of them go on.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Satisfied?
No wonder you so often make worst poster lists here. I asked you a simple question and still haven't seen a response.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 9:40 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Well, we are, aren't we?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 9:49 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
No wonder you so often make worst poster lists here. I asked you a simple question and still haven't seen a response.
Worst poster list.... sounds made up.

You didn't ask a simple question. You made a comment about me not providing substance to calling you a homer so I did.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 10:56 PM
More transit please

Quote:
The Amazon HQ thread in the main City Discussion section is even worse. The first 7 pages don't mention Canada at all. When Canada does come up, most of the posts are condescending, dismissive, or puzzled as to why Amazon would even consider a Canadian locale.

Just read some of that thread... people predicting Salt Lake City, St. Louis, Tampa...

"Hey we seem to have a site that could accommodate 8 million square feet here in Cincinnati, I'm guessing we'd be the dark horse"

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 11:50 PM
The New Republic

^^ Ya, just when you think the Canadian section is absurd one only need read a US dominated thread to realize that things could be a lot worse. The US takes misinformed, ignorant, condescending, out to lunch to a whole other level. Makes me feel sorry for normal Americans who have to put up with those people every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Well, we are, aren't we?
Yes, we're like twins separated at birth.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 12:59 AM

HQ2 will most likely be in....... Seattle. This is likely an exercise to beat down the NIMBY and activist idiots upset about Amazon creating too many jobs, occupying too much office space and increasing inequality by paying well.

If the motivation is geographic diversity, the most likely locations would be Portland, Austin or Dallas. Amazon's biggest recruitment challenge is Seattle's high housing costs. As two of the least affordable housing markets in the world, Vancouver and Toronto would be near the bottom of the list.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 1:02 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:

Gotta love it when people with a post history of 5 come out of the woodwork to bash Toronto saying things like it's "very very vanilla", "uninteresting" and lacking in any sort of local character or culture which it makes it an unattractive city for hip, young Amazon employees.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
HQ2 will most likely be in....... Seattle. This is likely an exercise to beat down the NIMBY and activist idiots upset about Amazon creating too many jobs, occupying too much office space and increasing inequality by paying well.

If the motivation is geographic diversity, the most likely locations would be Portland, Austin or Dallas. Amazon's biggest recruitment challenge is Seattle's high housing costs. As two of the least affordable housing markets in the world, Vancouver and Toronto would be near the bottom of the list.
Seattle is also an incredibly expensive housing market. The median price for a single-family home is nearly $750k USD, which is over $900k CAD.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the only canadian city listed from this article: https://www.curbed.com/2017/9/8/1627...-city-planning

Toronto
Pros: The Canadian metropolis has been named in many short-lists for its growing tech scene, a robust transit network, proximity to the East Coast, and perhaps most importantly, not being in the U.S. The country’s liberal immigration policies and inclusive culture provide a refuge from Trump era-immigration crackdowns, which may threaten access to top foreign talent.

Cons: Some have suggested that constant border-crossing may be a hinderance to the company’s operations. Even though numerous U.S. companies have foreign offices, the scale of Amazon’s ambitions may present a problem.

Potential sites: Toronto is gearing up to redevelop a large section of its waterfront, though Google has already expressed interest in being the lead tenant.
"Some" would need to explain how this is in any way an issue.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Please go ahead and explain. I always find it very entertaining to read the delusional cheerleading of center of the universe Torontonians. I've yet to see one compelling reason listed here why Amazon would want to set up shop for 50K employees in Toronto. At least Calgary has some reasons. You'd probably be more hurt if another Canadian city got this than if an American city did.
Agreed. No way Toronto can compete with Calgary as a destination. Calgary has way more to offer any company and its employees or anyone else than Toronto does. Toronto has no chance and it's ridiculous that it's even being mentioned in this thread. People in Toronto want to believe that Toronto is the centre of everything but the cold, hard reality is Toronto is not at all an important city at any scale by any measure, especially compared to Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
"Some" would need to explain how this is in any way an issue.
YVR is the largest international destination from SEA. Twice daily rail service between downtown Seattle and Vancouver. Not certain what issues are.

Some have suggested Calgary. It has a lot of low cost office space in the downtown core that could easily be absorbed by Amazon. Vancouver and Toronto are also quite viable.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 7:08 AM

Winnipeg and Manitoba are launching a joint bid in hopes of attracting Amazon,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.4282681

Although I know the chance of Amazon selecting Winnipeg is ~0.1%, at least the city is making an effort. I believe Halifax has expressed interest as well and I'd think Winnipeg's chances would be slightly greater than those of Halifax.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Agreed. No way Toronto can compete with Calgary as a destination. Calgary has way more to offer any company and its employees or anyone else than Toronto does. Toronto has no chance and it's ridiculous that it's even being mentioned in this thread. People in Toronto want to believe that Toronto is the centre of everything but the cold, hard reality is Toronto is not at all an important city at any scale by any measure, especially compared to Calgary.
Was that a joke, or were you just high?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Was that a joke, or were you just high?
The comment was so extreme and far away from fact, that I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm.

Looks like Hamilton is getting in the game

Hamilton joins scramble to court Amazon

Obviously, it's not really a Hamilton thing... it's basically a Golden Horseshoe/GTHA thing where it's tied to its close proximity to Toronto and other cities.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 2:54 PM

Mississauga.. I could see this being a game changer in Sauga. wishful thinking..but who knows.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 2:58 PM

It seems to me that if any Canadian city wants to put together a credible bid, they are going to have to make sure that the Province and the national government are on side, since that is where most of the money is going to have to come from.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
LOL this actually made me laugh.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 3:04 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
Mississauga.. I could see this being a game changer in Sauga. wishful thinking..but who knows.
Mississauga? Maybe....I feel like it's a VERY miniscule chance, but if they were to set up shop somehow....it would have to be along the Hurontario LRT...some kindof office complex either south of Square One or maybe just near the condo-filled downtown. The airport is nearby, though I think Mississauga would be chosen if they seriously took a look at the GTHA and made some kind of decision with land values, transportation, incentives to the HQ etc. Though then again land values near Hurontario are very high apparently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada