HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Birchett View Post
Looks like it could replace that God-awful Mud Island garage at the dead end of Poplar at Front. This would be great! Now let's get it done.
Yeah that appears to be it. With whatever happens with Mud Island I'll gladly take a high rise on the river next to it.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
Well Happy New Year!

600 room high rise glass tower hotel next to Convention Center-- not many details at the moment but hopefully all comes through

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...otel/96173268/
Had to do some research on the developer after reading the article. Looks like he has done a few major hotel projects in the past with some success.

I'm still a bit skeptical on the 600 number in terms of hotel rooms, but if Swerdling is able to get the financing done and we get something in the 12-15 plus story range as a result, then I'm all for it.

Now if only the city could get the trolleys rolling again.

Last edited by James Owen; Jan 5, 2017 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
I'm still a bit skeptical on the 600 number in terms of hotel rooms, but if Swerdling is able to get the financing done and we get something in the 12-15 plus story range as a result, then I'm all for it.
600 rooms, 120,000 sqft of convention/ meeting space & a major parking ramp on that site could potentially bring some height with it. But yeah, we'll see. Just saw a Commercial Appeal poster link to this DMC page:

Downtown Memphis Commission

Quote:
Initial phase of a planned $900M expansion that will have the convention center extend to the Wolf River Harbor and the construction of a couple of convention center hotels.
http://www.downtownmemphiscommission...enter-upgrade/

DMC

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 5:55 AM

Good to see Sprouts & Trader Joe's taking some of the leftover space from the Kroger-Schnucks deal.

Plans change for future Trader Joe's Germantown store
Meagan Nichols, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
Originally set to occupy a new-construction outparcel building in the northwest corner of the former Kroger lot at 2130 Exeter Road near Baptist Medical Group-Outpatient Care Center, developer Centennial American Properties (CAP) is now requesting updated site plans be approved to locate Trader Joe’s inside the Kroger building.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ermantown.html

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 6:13 AM

Noticed this bit today and the building is actually in the background of the Commercial Appeal video for the proposed convention center hotel linked above.

New Police HQ Renovations To Cost Additional $2 Million
Memphis Daily News – Bill Dries

Quote:
... For the renovation of 170 N. Main St., the 13-story building that was once the Donnelley J. Hill State Office Building... renovate the building as the Memphis Police Department’s new headquarters. The total cost of the conversion, including the estimated cost to relocate MPD from the Criminal Justice Center, came to $8.4 million in 2015.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...digest/#114242

photo (Daily News File/Lance Murphey)

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Jan 5, 2017 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 6:22 AM

The new years is starting on a good note. I can't wait to see the design. With One Beale and it's two or three towers along with this project, it will stretch the skyline for sure.

Hopefully we can finally see how the mix of glass buildings will look on the skyline.

Seeing that Sprouts is expanding with another grocery, one can only hope that Trader Joe's will open more stores as well in the future besides the one that's happening in Germantown.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:44 PM

I really hope everything goes through! I've always wondered what glass towers would look like against the old buildings in the skyline. It'll probably look awkward at first, but every city has gone through this, Memphis is just a little late. This latest hotel project along with One Beale will stretch the skyline in both directions. I'm ready to see cranes.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:19 PM

Southwest finally released their Summer schedule. After running up to 3 flights per day on Sat during March and April and 2 the rest, they are cutting daily flights down to one per day for MCO in June. Allegiant effect?

After seeing Frontier loads for Denver I thought they may give Memphis a n/s there, nope. If they are going to act like a legacy they best get some smaller aircraft like Bombardier's CS100 in the 100 to 110 seat range to develop mid sized markets better instead of becoming an airline trYing to pump up connections via their umptewn focus cities. They shot their first attempt to crap when they dumped AirTran's 717s and Delta snatched them up for mainline. Delta has ordered the C Series as well. That plane is perfect for markets like Memphis that wants something better than the typical regional jet but lacks the numbers(as of now, but O&D is growing)for 737s. It is ideal for long, thin routes like west coast cities. I think United may figure that out as well.

If I am flying to DC I can fly American for just a little more right into Reagan (15 bucks a seat one way)over BWI at the prices they listed for June flights today. If I have an AA card, my checked is free so it's really just a push on luggage benefits.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
Yeah that appears to be it. With whatever happens with Mud Island I'll gladly take a high rise on the river next to it.
I've said all long Mud Island needs to be a year round attraction.

1)revamped Museum complete with Flying the Mississippi River ride attraction.

2)new home of Memphis Zoo ran Aquarium.

3) a small scale amusement area between museum and bridge with signiture attractions like a near 400ft. Star Flyer, 200 ft ferris wheel and small footprint coaster, a water based ride and a handful of flat rides and an indoor kiddie ride Carousel building with about a half dozen rides under a temp controlled roof complete with birthday rooms and whatnot. A water play structure with a half dozen slides that's zero entry. See Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen as a guide in a park like setting.

4) expansion of Amp to about 8,000 with covered seating that does not interfere with the skyline sight lines.. seats could come via a mezzanine level built with the covering superstructure.

5)update and repair riverwalk

6) Have arts and crafts festivals particularly a European style Christmas Market.
See they had a ice rink down there along Riverside Drive this year. Since Mud Island is closed it can't be there. In myprevious postings about this, I said that should be part of the Christmas Market on the south end of the Island along with Camel rides, Reindeer petting, possible tubing hill and a giant lighted Christmas tree that performs a light show set to music.

7)expansion of eating venues particularly a themed one or two ( House of Blues, Margaritaville, Bubba Gump)

8)Boutique Hotel along the Gulf Mexico area.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
I've said all long Mud Island needs to be a year round attraction.

2)new home of Memphis Zoo ran Aquarium.
This interests me the most. Memphis should have an aquarium with views of the Mississippi. It could be like the Georgia Aquarium, but our aquarium could offer boat rides on the river.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWestMemphis View Post
This interests me the most. Memphis should have an aquarium with views of the Mississippi. It could be like the Georgia Aquarium, but our aquarium could offer boat rides on the river.
The Georgia Aquarium is what it is because someone was overly generous, I don't see Memphis getting one like that but should strive for one equal to better than to the ones in New Orleans, Chattanooga, Gatlinburg, ect, ect, ect.

I someone wants to see pics I'll go out of my way and find them yet again, but Mud Island is a colossal wast of space and screaming to become the missing piece as a weekend destination that Memphis need to become a planned extended weekend vacation spot.

Again, a combination of this aong the river at night

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Jan 5, 2017 at 10:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:11 PM

Kansas City skyline would be the closest comparison (on a smaller scale) if we could get these glass towers off the ground. It has a good mix of glass and old school brick. It sorta have that gritty look too.

Now for Mud Island, after checking out the Navy Pier in Chicago I'll go with a similar concept. Could it be done ?

Last edited by TheKernel91; Jan 6, 2017 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Kansas City skyline would be the closest comparison (on a smaller scale) if we could get these glass towers off the ground. It has a good mix of glass and old school brick. It sorta have that gritty look too.

Now for Mud Island, after checking out the Navy Pier in Chicago I'll go with a similar concept. Could it be done ?
Good example but we can do better.

The led lighting packages on the signiture rides could coordinate with the lights on the Harrihan Bridge as well, especially for holidays like The 4th and if the Grizz are have a playoff game and they show sky shots of the city

Still think the Disney Soarin' style theater ride system as part of the river museum would be a smash hit with it's 4/5D effects.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Jan 6, 2017 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:14 PM

More Than One Convention Center Hotel Proposal
By Bill Dries/Memphis Daily News 1/9/2017

"There is another convention center hotel proposal in circulation, Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland says.

It isn’t as far along in specifics as the tentative proposal by Denver financier Robert Swerdling that surfaced last week.

Swerdling’s general plan is a 600-room hotel on what is now the Mud Island parking garage on Front Street at Poplar Avenue. Swerdling said he has rounded up $180 million in private financing.

“There are serious discussions,” Strickland said. “I don’t feel like it’s imminent though. I don’t think any group has it totally 100 percent financed yet.”

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...otel-proposal/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:19 PM

Parkside Developers Finish Acquiring Land for Shelby Farms Urban Village
By Patrick Lantrip- Memphis Daily News/ 1/9/2017

"Now that all of the roughly 55 acres has been acquired, Parkside developer Bob Turner said they are moving forward with the project.

The next step is to refine the final design, which will take about four months. Turner plans to work with the Shelby Farms Park Conservancy board, neighbors and city and county officials on the final plan.

“Then we’ll go back to the Land Use Control Board and go through the final site-plan approval process, which will take 60 to 90 days,” Turner said. “We’re in the process of doing a TIF on it, too, which will be going on simultaneously with this.”

"About a year from now we’ll be ready to maybe break dirt,” Turner said

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...urban-village/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:55 PM

Good article talking about investment in downtown in the past few decades-- talks a lot about the proposed convention center hotel.

Ted Evanoff: 1 billion reasons to care about Downtown/ Ted Evanoff, Commercial Appeal/ 1/7/2017

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...town/96249634/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 12:17 AM

First, we got a Main Event, and now we are getting a Dave & Busters too!

Dave & Buster's coming to Memphis
Tom Bailey
Commercial Appeal

Quote:
The Dallas-based chain will put one of its restaurant-arcades in the space where Sports Authority operated before closing in The Commons of Wolfcreek, the large strip retail center across North Germantown Parkway from Wolfchase Galleria. The site is next to Best Buy.

The new entertainment center is expected to open later this year, joining an array of new restaurants and retailers in the area including Cheesecake Factory and Ikea.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...site/96490394/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
Good example but we can do better.

The led lighting packages on the signiture rides could coordinate with the lights on the Harrihan Bridge as well, especially for holidays like The 4th and if the Grizz are have a playoff game and they show sky shots of the city

Still think the Disney Soarin' style theater ride system as part of the river museum would be a smash hit with it's 4/5D effects.
Not to sound like a pessimistic person but, I used to be a visionary for what Memphis could become and grow, but have given up on the dream now. Just as I have for my own home town, Huntsville. Memphis' problem has always been lack of vision and visionaries making the decisions. The city has a bad track record for doing things on a cheap scale rate. Take for instance Libertyland. They chose to save money and tear it down instead of investing in expansion to become a national park instead of just local. They could have moved and reopened it at Shelby Farms which would have made it more appealing and expansion growth with a 5-star hotel, restaurants, shops, etc. East Memphis could have become mini Disney. Big blown opportunity there.

Memphis could have been what Atlanta has become. But it's instead become a mixture of New Orleans (crime ridden) and Birmingham. Really sad how Memphis, with all of its tourism and potential, has barely grown over last 30 years.

The River park has so much potential. But we're dealing with lame visionless leadership who will look for cheapest deal where it benefits their own pockets than it does the city and tourism which brings out of town dollars. The city leaders will more than likely sell the park to a private developer with small pockets instead of seeking a partnership just so they don't have to deal with any expectations for it. I don't expect them to do anything special to that prime reale estate. Look for it to become a fishing spot or camp ground.

I doubt One Beale will ever get off the ground either. Memphis is what it is. They just got caught lying about upgrades to Elvis Presley Boulevard despite promises following the new hotel and redevelopment at graceland. It's a lazy city with lazy leadership. Always has been. Memphis is a big city with small town visionists.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 10:47 PM

Memphis was Tennessee's largest city for nearly 120 years even though it is the youngest of Tennessee's major cities. The least we can do is not give up on it. And I wish everyone would stop comparing Memphis to other cities. Memphis is what it is; a great city with great problems.

Every city has a period in time where growth is very limited. Places like Atlanta, Nashville, and Charlotte have done amazing jobs at growth, but there will come a time where it will slow down. That's life. So with that being said, there will come a time where Memphis will grow and meet the majority of our expectations.

But for now, let's just keep dreaming and envisioning a better future for the city.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 4:38 PM

^^ Agree.

Things take time and momentum as well. This is the first time I've seen a REAL positive outlook on the city from the government and citizens. A lot of agencies and groups are REALLY trying to shift things for a better Memphis. Those are the unsung heroes.

There's still some people who's just see a different perspective, but a lot of those people aren't aware of what's been happening here from a business/development standpoint that can have a ripple effect on the entire city.

Seen this article the other day on the CA....
Memphis is on 'cusp of renaissance,' Strickland says
http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...ance/96455044/

Now, I have never heard any of the city officials say anything like this. (Maybe I have, but probably didn't believe them enough) If so past administration would've used "renaissance", more something like "Next "blah blah city, or Become the next up incoming southern city" something like that.

There's a lot of things that could of been done way better, but also a lot of things done right. It took great vision from developers to reuse old huge historic buildings that would of been easier to tear down, and build something new. Better visionaries will come as more interest grows in Memphis.

The ATL comparison for me is still in the back of my mind as "what if". Only because from older Memphians I use always hear "Memphis should be just like Atlanta right now", many had different reasons for why it wasn't. Some saying "its still gonna happen" or "Atlanta is just a bigger Memphis with more money" (this was in the 90s lol).

In the 50s/60s both cities were very similar and had the same potential for growth and investment from larger companies in and outside the region. There's small things I see in Memphis today that would have panned it out similar to Atlanta as far as business, and culture if it had the same forward thinking Atlanta had around that time.

But hey, Memphis is still trying to see it's own potential and overcomings. The important thing is that the mindset is changing. People are tired of the same old. The wheels are turning, this is just ground work happening. When that train gets to running, there's hardly anything that can stop it. Enjoy it now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations