HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 2:25 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Well, if you guys are happy being Canada's murder capital then it's all yours. It is all relative, but I wouldn't use the USA as your measuring stick. They have some of the worst stats in the Western world when it comes to poverty, violence, and maternal/fetal survival rates (a good measurement of how a country treats its most vulnerable). It appears you, like most in Canada's most "dangerous" cities are turning a blind eye the the crime. The crime-drugs-poverty-violence cycle is a vicious one and, if you don't stop it, the crimes will eventually start to affect the average resident (robbery, B&E, and yes murder).
It must be nice to live in a city where everyone is caucasian and earns a nice income from being federally employed.

Nobody in Winnipeg or elsewhere on the prairies is ignoring the issue, but the real cause of the problem is how our federal government deals with native peoples.

This is something that folks in Ottawa and elsewhere have little or no understanding about.

I think you could probably count the number of aboriginals living within Ottawa City limits on two hands.

Conversely, in Winnipeg there's some places that you just don't go into as a white person unless you want to find trouble.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; May 27, 2009 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 8:02 PM
The Loyal Opposition

I've come to the thinking that it would be better if our levels of governments addressed poverty as a whole, rather than only focusing on poverty amongst First Nations. The policies, programs and services would be more inclusive that way. There can certainly be Aboriginal-specific methods at intake within their communities, such as engaging Elders to respect their culture. But ultimately the same services must be accessible across the board.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 9:58 PM

I think the city of Montreal is at 8 murders so far.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
It must be nice to live in a city where everyone is caucasian and earns a nice income from being federally employed.

Nobody in Winnipeg or elsewhere on the prairies is ignoring the issue, but the real cause of the problem is how our federal government deals with native peoples.

This is something that folks in Ottawa and elsewhere have little or no understanding about.

I think you could probably count the number of aboriginals living within Ottawa City limits on two hands.

Conversely, in Winnipeg there's some places that you just don't go into as a white person unless you want to find trouble.
Ottawa demographics from the 2006 census:

Ethnic Origin Population Percent
Canadian 227,490 28.4%
English 194,845 24.3%
Irish 180,525 22.5%
French 172,165 21.5%
Scottish 158,340 19.8%
German 67,660 8.4%
Italian 39,230 4.9%
Chinese 34,435 4.3%
Polish 25,685 3.2%
Dutch 22,700 2.8%
North American Indian 21,600 2.7%
East Indian 20,525 2.6%
Lebanese 17,500 2.1%

Please note that Ottawa is not completely white (20.2% visible minority compared to Winnipeg's 16.3% and Regina's 14.3%) and that we have 21,600 residents of North American Indian origin (just under 3% of the population). As I mentioned, I am originally from Regina and regularly visit my relatives there so I am fairly well-versed on the aboriginal issues there. I believe that with Canada being such a large country with 3 distinct and often dysfunctional levels of government, people need to take some responsibility for their own community. I notice that people in Regina are all-too-happy to move the the edge of town (so they can be close to Walmart) and leave some very central areas to be swallowed by crime and gangs. There are some amazing programs in that city to engage aboriginal youth with the hopes of breaking the cycle and I just feel that too many people have too many stereotypes and preconceived ideas for progressive things to start to happen. I can't speak for Winnipeg as I've only visited there, but it seems they share many issues in common with Regina. Anyway, back to the body count....

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:08 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
I've come to the thinking that it would be better if our levels of governments addressed poverty as a whole, rather than only focusing on poverty amongst First Nations. The policies, programs and services would be more inclusive that way. There can certainly be Aboriginal-specific methods at intake within their communities, such as engaging Elders to respect their culture. But ultimately the same services must be accessible across the board.
the system needs a overhall

and this overhall aint going to happen anytime soon it would creat such a mess politicaly we would probly wind up in civil war of sorts

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 1:45 AM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay should be added to the Edmonton-Saskatoon-Regina-Winnipeg group. Acts of violent racism here have skyrocketed in the past few months. Council has a new document outlining ways to deal with the racism that will be present at the United Nations in a few weeks and our school boards have passed policies that will become provincial law a year from now, because the year is too long to wait. People are being pelted by objects from moving vehicles just for walking down the street, teaching assistants are assaulting children and murders are reaching levels we've never seen before. Both sides, native and non-native, are attacking the other side. Police have been patrolling a school in Port Arthur to prevent a race riot. In Canada.

And yes, most of this crime is by or against native people coming from the reserves up north, where living conditions are comparable to those in the third world. Children can't go to school in Attawapiskat because the government built it on top of a diesel spill and the fumes are killing children. In Canada.

This isn't right.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:03 PM

Burnaby parkade shooting victim Peter Adiwal fighting for his life

By Cheryl Chan, The ProvinceMay 28, 2009 6:40 AMComments (14)

A notorious B.C. gangster who may have been trying to turn over a new leaf is fighting for his life after being shot in a hail of gunfire in a Burnaby parkade.

Parminder "Peter" Singh Adiwal, who was pegged as a potential boss for the Independent Soldiers, was shot several times inside or near a black Porsche Cayenne at a high-rise condo complex in the 4100-block Dawson Street Tuesday night.

"He is well known to police and given his affiliation, we believe it is a targeted hit," said Cpl. Alexandra Mulvihill of the Burnaby RCMP.

Contacted Wednesday by The Province, Adiwal's uncle, Gurcharn Gharu, said his nephew has been trying to distance himself from the criminal lifestyle. "He was trying to do it, that's what I heard," said Gharu. "I don't get to talk to him much, but I heard he was trying to ... leave that behind."

The shooting has been very difficult for Adiwal's family, who were in hospital for most of the day yesterday, he said. "It's tough for them."

Yesterday, spots of dried blood and piles of shattered glass were still visible at the scene. Adiwal was shot in a section of the parkade reserved for visitors and retail customers.

Residents reported hearing several shots in two bursts of gunfire at around 10 p.m. "There were a lot of shots, at least 10 to 12," said James Nelson. "One of them sounded like a large-calibre weapon. To me, it sounded like a volley."

Nelson rushed down from his apartment to the ground-level parkade, where ambulance and police had converged after several people called 911. "The guy was moaning in his black SUV," said Nelson. "It looked like he was in pretty bad shape."

Paramedics, including the advanced life-support unit, performed CPR on Adiwal before transporting him to hospital, where he remains in serious condition.

Yesterday, RCMP were continuing to interview witnesses and are on the lookout for two vehicles — a dark blue or black minivan and a white cube truck — that fled after the shooting.

Sgt. Shinder Kirk, spokesman for the B.C. Integrated Gang Task Force, said they are well acquainted with Adiwal, but would not comment on whether Adiwal has been on their radar since he got out of jail in January 2007. "We're well aware of what he's done in the past, and his associations," said Kirk. "He's certainly well known and has been well known for many years to be involved in the criminal lifestyle."

Adiwal and his twin brother, Manjit "Mike," were the subject of a major police probe by the now-defunct Indo-Canadian Gang Violence Task Force into several unsolved gang-related killings in the Lower Mainland.

In 2005, Peter Adiwal was sentenced to seven years in prison for the drug-related kidnapping and aggravated assault of Sikhjit Singh Basi in 2003. Adiwal was released in January 2007 due to time served before trial after serving 18 months. At the time, police worried that a newly released Adiwal might be the catalyst for a bloody gang war.

Vancouver police believed Adiwal would take control of the Soldiers, a loosely affiliated gang involved in pot grow-ops, guns and cocaine, and unite them.

Yesterday, Kirk said police are always concerned about the possibility of retaliation when someone with a known criminal background is targeted. "That's always a concern when there's a violent episode involving someone who is known to be or have been in a gang or led a gang lifestyle," he said. "That's always a concern that there may be episodes of retaliation."

Since 1998, Adiwal has racked up several charges, including theft, robbery and gun possession, and had been convicted of possession of stolen property and being an occupant in a vehicle while there was a firearm.

Almost time to add another one to the list

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

To build on what O-Town Hockey answered, Ottawa also has some fairly large demographic groups (I won't name them but people from this area know who they are) that are visible minorities, are concentrated in a few areas of the city, and are plagued by endemic poverty and crime issues. Let me tell you, they *are* there.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

And yes, most of this crime is by or against native people coming from the reserves up north, where living conditions are comparable to those in the third world. Children can't go to school in Attawapiskat because the government built it on top of a diesel spill and the fumes are killing children. In Canada.

This isn't right.
Thank you for raising this issue Vid. When one considers that the native population (often living in Third World conditions, as you rightly said) is growing much more rapidly than that of the non-natives, this is going to be a huge problem for Canada in the future. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far. But everyone seems intent on pretending it doesn't exist.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The keyword here is C-A-N-A-D-A'S murder capital.

This is a country where in lieu of a gun political dissenters will toss banana cream pie at their political masters.

Winnipeg, Edmonton and Regina have crime rates that would probably be the envy of just about anywhere else in the U.S.
If you look at the numbers for U.S. cities you will see that there are in fact a number of large U.S. cities where the murder rate is generally lower than it is in the large cities of Western Canada. San Diego, Austin, Honolulu, Seattle, spring to mind.

Not saying this poster is, but Canadians who are often smug about crime statistics usually just point to the worst cities in the U.S. like Detroit, Baltimore, St. Louis, etc. These cities have been horribly blighted by near-fatal economic decline. There isn't anything near that type of despair in any Canadian city.

And as another poster said, if the U.S. is the only measure, then sure Canada looks great on the violent crime front. However, most of Western Europe (including very large cities like Paris and London) generally has violent crime and murder rates that are quite a bit lower than those found in Canada.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:32 PM

<<WINNIPEG – The family of a 53-year-old man found dead in his room at the Winnipeg Hotel last weekend believes a vicious attack cut Robert Genereaux's life short.

Randy Genereaux said the body of his brother was discovered early Sunday morning. The man was found in his bed, clad only in a T-shirt and underwear, covered in blood, he said.

Genereaux said he was told Wednesday by medical officials his brother suffered a fractured skull and broken jaw.

"He was literally beaten to death," Randy Genereaux said of the man friends and family knew as Bob.

"He doesn't even look like my brother. It doesn't look like him at all."

As of late Wednesday night, police had not released details of either a homicide or suspicious death at the Winnipeg Hotel.

But a source said investigators were seen coming and going from the Main Street hotel over the last few days. Bob Genereaux had spent the last four years living at the Winnipeg Hotel, said Randy Genereaux.

"Everybody knew Bob. Everybody loved him," he said. "He was a good-hearted guy and he'd give his shirt off his back for you."

He was also a fixture at Siloam Mission, where he was known as polite and friendly.

"He'd come in, have a quick chit chat, big smile and a friendly wave all the time," said director of patron services, Theresa Saunders. "We never ever saw anything but a positive side from Bob, a really friendly guy."

Saunders said she was told the death was "not natural" but was not aware of specifics. Bob Genereaux was one of eight children. Some live in Pine Falls, where the family has gathered for his funeral today. He has a 20-year-old son who shares his name.

He spent 15 years living on the Sagkeeng First Nation in Pine Falls but spent his final years in Winnipeg, Randy Genereaux said.

"I don't know what the reason is, why it happened," he said. "I really don't understand. I just hope somebody comes forward with some information to police."

The city has recorded 10 homicides this year, including two within the last week. On Saturday, Joseph Victor McLeod, 23, was stabbed to death in broad daylight near Ross Avenue and Isabel Street. Two 14-year-old boys are charged with second-degree murder.

On Monday morning, 16-year-old Angela Holm was stabbed to death in a home on Victor Street. An 18-year-old man is charged with second-degree murder.>>

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-46354427.html

So is this a homicide or not? Why are we just hearing about this now when it happened on the weekend?

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 6:26 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
To build on what O-Town Hockey answered, Ottawa also has some fairly large demographic groups (I won't name them but people from this area know who they are) that are visible minorities, are concentrated in a few areas of the city, and are plagued by endemic poverty and crime issues. Let me tell you, they *are* there.
A great example of what the Canadian "human rights" industry has done... made people too afraid to say what is on their mind, even if they are not committing a hate crime.

I'm sure what you would have said would not advocate or organize violence or commit a real crime against any particular group. But the whole mentality that some groups have "the right not to be offended" is absurd, and this is a great example of how that line of thinking is an affront to public debate. And, you have held back merely because saying a minority group is in poverty combined with high rates of crime would be offensive to that group. When, in actuality, you're merely stating your opinion - and an opinion that should not be considered criminal.

Make no mistake, I fully support human rights... real human rights. "The right to not be offended" is just plain BS and an attack on the freedoms of speech, expression, and academia.

Sorry... I know I'm off-topic here... but we've been talking this sort of thing quite a bit lately in the MB & Sask section. Got me all charged up!

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 9:12 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
More charges laid for murder of Cat Lake woman
Steve Feeney | Wawatay News | May 28, 2009
http://www.wawataynews.ca/archive/al...ke-woman_16846

A second person has been charged in the death of Barbara Loon.

Mary Keewasin-Gliddy, 22, of Wunnimin Lake, was arrested May 27 and charged with second-degree murder.

Keewasin-Gliddy is in custody and scheduled to appear in a Kenora court June 1.

Jemima Sakakeep, 37, of Sioux Lookout, was charged for second-degree murder May 15 in relation to the death of Loon, 34, of Cat Lake.

The Ontario Provincial Police Criminal Investigation Branch, the OPP Northwest Region Crime Unit and the Forensic Identification Unit are continuing with the investigation regarding Loon’s death.
Tally for Northwestern Ontario so far:

January 1: Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug
January 15: Thunder Bay (1st)
January 23: Thunder Bay (2nd)
February 20: Kasabonika
March 21: Thunder Bay (3rd)
March 25: Kenora
April 15: Thunder Bay (4th)
May 9: Sioux Lookout

That is 8 murders in 5 months. Northwestern Ontario has a population of 235,000 people. This has been a terrible year.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 2:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
A great example of what the Canadian "human rights" industry has done... made people too afraid to say what is on their mind, even if they are not committing a hate crime.

I'm sure what you would have said would not advocate or organize violence or commit a real crime against any particular group. But the whole mentality that some groups have "the right not to be offended" is absurd, and this is a great example of how that line of thinking is an affront to public debate. And, you have held back merely because saying a minority group is in poverty combined with high rates of crime would be offensive to that group. When, in actuality, you're merely stating your opinion - and an opinion that should not be considered criminal.

Make no mistake, I fully support human rights... real human rights. "The right to not be offended" is just plain BS and an attack on the freedoms of speech, expression, and academia.

Sorry... I know I'm off-topic here... but we've been talking this sort of thing quite a bit lately in the MB & Sask section. Got me all charged up!
For the record, I am not “afraid” of referring to anything or anyone. Provided that it’s relevant to the discussion. In this case, the responses came as a result of a comment that Ottawa was pretty much an all-white city and that this partly explained its lower violent crime rate when compared Winnipeg’s. But I don’t see why pointing out that Ottawa in fact has a quite diverse population (perhaps more so than Winnipeg even), and that certain communities within Ottawa faced major socio-economic challenges, required me to finger-point any of these specific groups in a national forum.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:30 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Got 'ya! Sorry to make assumptions. It has been a topic on my mind a lot lately.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

why is winnipeg related stuff being bolded ?

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
why is winnipeg related stuff being bolded ?
lol, I noticed that too. I think it's a huge online conspiracy trying to propagate the image of Winnipeg as a dangerous city. Seems to be working so far. Pretty soon 1ajs will join a gang and start pimping.

Old Posted May 30, 2009, 12:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

winnipegs got its issues

canada as a whole faces these issues just alot of the time thy are dumped on us by the reserves who kick people off them or other cities give these people a one way ticket to winnipeg to get rid of them its stupid

then theres the kids that grow up in broken homes and nothings done about it and those that do get taken out are no better off cause u get greedy people that just do it for the money

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 2:38 AM
The good old days are now

9 murders now in Montreal, compared to 11 at this time last year.

Old Posted May 31, 2009, 4:23 AM

MAPLE RIDGE, B.C. — Police on Saturday released the name of a man gunned down in the street who managed to drive himself to hospital but died early Friday.

Sarbjit “Steve” Nagra has a 10-year criminal record that includes charges of threatening students with a shotgun and defrauding the Insurance Corporation of B.C.

Nagra was shot Thursday night in the 11400-block of Maple Crescent, a residential neighbourhood of Maple Ridge. After the shooting, Nagra drove himself to Ridge Meadows Hospital at about 8 p.m.

He died 3 a.m. Friday after being transported to Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster.

Cpl. Dale Carr of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said the killing has the hallmarks of a targeted shooting, although it’s too early to tell if it’s gang-related.

“It certainly has the signature of being targeted. What remains to be seen is the rationale behind it,” said Carr.

The shooting took place on the street and not a residence, and Carr said it appears no one else was at risk.

Investigators have not found any links between this shooting and a shooting in Burnaby on Tuesday, which left gangster Parminder “Peter” Singh Adiwal, who has connections to the Independent Soldiers, in serious condition.

IHIT investigators have seized Nagra’s dark-coloured SUV for forensic testing.

No suspects are in custody.

Nagra first made the news in May 1999 when he was arrested and accused of threatening a group of Terry Fox Secondary School students with a shotgun.

Nagra, then 19, was charged with pointing a firearm, possession of a prohibited weapon and storing a firearm contrary to regulations in connection to the confrontation near the school.

But he was only convicted of a breach of an undertaking and sentenced to 14 days in jail.

In the years following, Nagra accumulated convictions for inflicting “fear of injury,” theft under $5,000 and uttering threats.

Nagra made the headlines again in 2007 when he was convicted of defrauding ICBC.

He entered a guilty plea for refusing to supply a breath sample and providing a false and misleading statement.

The plea stemmed from an incident in April 2005 when Nagra was driving his father’s Honda Civic and struck a telephone pole.

He fled on foot but police found him a short distance away. Police said Nagra refused to give a breath sample and denied any knowledge of the crash.

Then, while making his claim to ICBC, Nagra said the keys to the Civic had been stolen while he was at a nightclub and that he had gone home with a friend.

However, a witness to the crash identified Nagra as the driver who fled the scene.

Nagra was sentenced to a one-year driving suspension, fined $2,000 and was ordered to repay ICBC $11,452, the cost of replacing the vehicle.

MV at 36

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada