HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:09 AM
video et taceo

why home is better

Edit: i am happy to be home in montreal. The rest was whiskey.

Last edited by kool maudit; Jun 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:07 AM

Wow.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:27 AM

the brown shoes thing is puzzling.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
i

thirdly, i have been in like 9 neighbourhoods and they're all solid, pre-war, walkup-y shit. no driveways. no goddamn westboro, snowmobile-in-the-tempo shit. no. brooklynesque. streetwalls. don't tell me about neighbourhoods.
Plateau Mont Royal
Mile End
St Henri
Point St Charles
Verdun
Centre Sud
HOMA
Petite Patrie
Villeray

that's it?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:05 PM
video et taceo

Ha. Drunk SSP. Retarded.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Ha. Drunk SSP. Retarded.
Haha, I suspected as much. I've done it too.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:15 PM
Closed account

I thought this would be a far more thoughtful statement about why home, generally, seems better. Since I'm rather disappointed with what I got instead, I'll try to steer this in a more interesting direction than Montreal rocks, Ottawa sucks.

No city is going to be right for every person. As nice as Montreal is, I wouldn't ever want to live there, nor Toronto. Ottawa is a fantastic city for young families and people who enjoy the outdoors and physical activity. It's not as great if you are in you are young and seeking a great nightlife, especially if you are coming from Toronto or Montreal. I don't know other cities as well, but my general impression is that they would be pretty much the same. There is going to be a niche there that suits some people perfectly and other types of people are simply not going to be as happy there.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:02 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I thought this would be a far more thoughtful statement about why home, generally, seems better. Since I'm rather disappointed with what I got instead, I'll try to steer this in a more interesting direction than Montreal rocks, Ottawa sucks.

yeah, i said my piece in a stupid way. i tried to clear up what i meant above. it's just that ottawans, while they might like going out in the market or whatever, do not really see their city as an end in and of itself. it's a launchpad for outdoor activities, an infrastructural solution to festivals and parties, and sometimes a place to go perform a specific activity (dinner at beckta or something).

for montrealers, the city is an end in and of itself. torontonians are becoming like this too. here, the city is the spectacle, the city is the activity. just the city itself. as such, people live more publicly (and don't go out in merrill hiking sneakers ever. seriously. i haven't seen one pair yet. oh, ottawa.)

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:40 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
(and don't go out in merrill hiking sneakers ever. seriously. i haven't seen one pair yet. oh, ottawa.)
This is going to show my advanced age and complete lack of fashion sense, I realize, but... I'm not sure I understand the issue with wearing some of the most comfortable, durable shoes ever designed. Maybe it's because I spend so much time hiking that I just consider these "sneakers".

Is this just fashionista talk, or am I missing something? Are these shoes made from the hides of holocaust victims and it's a great offense to some people?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
This is going to show my advanced age and complete lack of fashion sense, I realize, but... I'm not sure I understand the issue with wearing some of the most comfortable, durable shoes ever designed. Maybe it's because I spend so much time hiking that I just consider these "sneakers".

Is this just fashionista talk, or am I missing something? Are these shoes made from the hides of holocaust victims and it's a great offense to some people?
The issue is more about wearing sneakers with, say, a sundress, or dress pants, when "out of the town".

Sneakers are for playing sports - not for going out dancing on Saturday night. Hiking sneakers are for hiking - not for going to your nephew's first communion.

The funny thing is most people you see wearing "sporty" clothes (sneakers, grey flannel track pants, etc.) look like they probably haven't partaken in anything even remotely sporty in the part quarter-century.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:24 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The issue is more about wearing sneakers with, say, a sundress, or dress pants, when "out of the town".

Sneakers are for playing sports - not for going out dancing on Saturday night. Hiking sneakers are for hiking - not for going to your nephew's first communion.
Ah. Living in Calgary, jeans are almost "dress pants" in many contexts - and I wouldn't even bat an eye at someone wearing hikers with jeans. If anything, hikers look a fuck of a lot better than the sneakers most kids wear today. At least you look like you made an attempt to wear something comfortable, as opposed to trying to follow your hipster friends and/or display a brand logo.

I'm not sure I've ever seen many people wearing sneakers of any sort with honest-to-goodness dress pants.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 4:22 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Is this just fashionista talk, or am I missing something?
Skinny jeans (or pants) and pointy shoes.

I dunno, somebody must think this looks cool.

I have Salomon shoes that I rock out on my 40ish minute walk to work, and casually when I am out and about...gasp! Although I should mention I am married and a father, so I am certainly not out to impress anyone...

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 4:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Skinny jeans (or pants) and pointy shoes.

I dunno, somebody must think this looks cool.

I have Salomon shoes that I rock out on my 40ish minute walk to work, and casually when I am out and about...gasp! Although I should mention I am married and a father, so I am certainly not out to impress anyone...
I am married and a father as well. I am hardly a "fashion statement" type of guy, but I do confess that after doing a workout of any kind I do change into more urban clothes and footwear if there is even the slightest possibility of making a stop along the way home.

What's funny is that I rarely go out dressed in a way that I would describe as "bummy", but the other day I had no time and no choice, and when I dropped into my local shawarma place to pick something up on the way home from the gym, strangers were actually looking at me differently - it was really weird. I mentioned this to my wife when I got home, how people really do look at you differently depending on how you are dressed. And how we probably don't realize how people are looking at us when we are dressed in our "normal" way (whatever that is) because that's the "normal" reaction for us, and it's only when we dress differently that it jumps out at us.

This is true even in Gatineau, which is not exactly Paris or even Montreal for that matter...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 7:01 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the issue with wearing some of the most comfortable, durable shoes ever designed.

i just realized i never directly addressed this! apologies:

they're stubby and they look like little hooves. they are so unapologetically dumpy that they are sort of an unspoken rebuke to urbanity and civilization itself. they are utterly asexual.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 9:40 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
i just realized i never directly addressed this! apologies:

they're stubby and they look like little hooves. they are so unapologetically dumpy that they are sort of an unspoken rebuke to urbanity and civilization itself. they are utterly asexual.

I'm sorry that so many people place practicality above "sex" when it comes to their preference in shoes.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 7:39 PM

Quote:
yeah, i said my piece in a stupid way. i tried to clear up what i meant above. it's just that ottawans, while they might like going out in the market or whatever, do not really see their city as an end in and of itself. it's a launchpad for outdoor activities, an infrastructural solution to festivals and parties, and sometimes a place to go perform a specific activity (dinner at beckta or something).

for montrealers, the city is an end in and of itself. torontonians are becoming like this too. here, the city is the spectacle, the city is the activity. just the city itself. as such, people live more publicly (and don't go out in merrill hiking sneakers ever. seriously. i haven't seen one pair yet. oh, ottawa.)
Ottawa sounds kinda like Calgary. Here on a long weekend the city emptys out as everyone is going into the mountains, BC, the Bad Lands.... Vancouver would be the opposite, on a long weekend that city fills up. I assume Montreal would be like Vancouver then.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:

That's well put. I share the same sentiment about Mtl.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:23 PM

After three years in the city, I don't care much for Ottawa either. I haven't bought a house here because I plan to move in the next year or two.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 1:55 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Confusing as all hell, but I'll pretend that the spirit of the thread is in force.

To me, home is better because it's what I CHOSE. Not just the place I was born, not the place my parents and grandparents chose for me and essentially a random accident of birth. I chose to live here after evaluating most other options. It's better because it's exactly what I want.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Confusing as all hell, but I'll pretend that the spirit of the thread is in force.

To me, home is better because it's what I CHOSE. Not just the place I was born, not the place my parents and grandparents chose for me and essentially a random accident of birth. I chose to live here after evaluating most other options. It's better because it's exactly what I want.
The key to happiness. Right there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada