HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Seeing that shot down 42nd makes me wish that this came to fruition.

www.Vision42.org.

42nd is traffic clogged and impassible. Closing it to traffic and having wide sidewalks and this street car would have been awesome.
Pedestrianizing streets like that has actually proven to be pretty detrimental to the retail along the street in a lot of cases. Chicago tried doing it to State Street a couple decades ago and they ended up ripping it out because it absolutely decimated the retail businesses on the street.

Granted, idk how much of the retail patronage on 42nd comes from people in cars (probably none tbh), but still. Completely eliminating auto traffic seems to have a psychological effect on pedestrians. I think the planners of the State Street ped mall found that it makes them feel like they’re trespassing in a private space or something.

Now widening the sidewalks on 42nd I’d be in favor of, but not completely closing it off.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisJerry71 View Post
Pedestrianizing streets like that has actually proven to be pretty detrimental to the retail along the street in a lot of cases. Chicago tried doing it to State Street a couple decades ago and they ended up ripping it out because it absolutely decimated the retail businesses on the street.
It's off-topic, but there is no evidence that pedestrianizing streets is a net negative for retail. It works wonderfully throughout the world, including presently in NYC.

The issue is that there was a mania for pedestrianizing streets in the U.S. in the 1970's, which coincided with the decline in downtown retailing.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Seeing that shot down 42nd makes me wish that this came to fruition.

www.Vision42.org.

42nd is traffic clogged and impassible. Closing it to traffic and having wide sidewalks and this street car would have been awesome.
Not to divert this thread too much, but I 100% agree, and it's not just a problem with 42nd St. Basically every East-West street in Midtown, along with Lexington Ave, is borderline dangerous because of overcrowding on sidewalks. Sidewalks desperately need to be widened in Midtown/Midtown South.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 11:59 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Sidewalks desperately need to be widened in Midtown/Midtown South.
Oh no!
If you reengineer the (gridlocked) streets to accommodate wider sidewalks, traffic will never move.

Not every crosstown street is as wide as 57th, so just count your blessings.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Oh no!
If you reengineer the (gridlocked) streets to accommodate wider sidewalks, traffic will never move.

Not every crosstown street is as wide as 57th, so just count your blessings.
So get rid of parking on lets say, the north side of side streets. It's insane that traffic is at a literal standstill in Midtown, and pedestrians are routinely forced to walk in the street because the sidewalks are so overcrowded all to accommodate parked cars in the largest business district in the world, one of the densest places in the world, and one of the most congested. I've worked in midtown for close to a decade, 6th Ave, Broadway, Park Ave, this isn't something that's unique to one street.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 4:54 AM
New Yorker for life

OK, enough with you people and your streets.

I actually think some of you wait around to post off topic stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiNiWKCj...wsfromanyctaxi

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiOyUm8H...ken-by=jcd.nyc

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 11:07 AM

I love how they're constantly working on adding the next floor. There's no lag time, just constant construction. Anytime I look there's always progress!

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 11:33 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Come on...Let's see some skin on this big mama.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 12:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Carlyle Group said to be taking a shine to 1 Vanderbilt

Quote:
The Carlyle Group is moving forward with a deal to relocate its New York headquarters to 1 Vanderbilt, a 1,400-foot-tall office spire being built by SL Green Realty Corp. next to Grand Central Terminal.

The investment firm plans to take about 160,000 square feet on floors 34 through 38 in the 59-story tower for rents that average around $145 per square foot, according to a source with knowledge of the transaction.

A spokesman for SL Green said, "While rumors of a deal were reported last year, and we are in active discussions with many potential tenants at 1 Vanderbilt, we do not have an agreement with Carlyle." Carlyle would not comment on the potential deal.

Another source with direct knowledge of the deal said that Carlyle was not close to signing a lease yet and warned there was no guarantee the firm would complete the deal.

The lease, if gets done, would be one of several recent sizable space commitments at the under-construction property. SL Green just leased 106,000 square feet to the law firm McDermott Will & Emery last month. And the law firm Greenberg Traurig also took space at the tower, signing up for more than 100,000 square feet earlier this year.
=========================
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...nderbilt-tower

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 1:38 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
Come on...Let's see some skin on this big mama.
That's probably not going to happen for a long time....

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 6:44 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

What makes you think that?

From what I've seen, façade work for almost any tower here (and I'd guess in most other cities) begins fairly soon after the superstructure rises high enough above street level for the process to start.

But then again, "almost" seems to be the operative word here based on your comment.

Old Posted May 4, 2018, 8:28 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
What makes you think that?

From what I've seen, façade work for almost any tower here (and I'd guess in most other cities) begins fairly soon after the superstructure rises high enough above street level for the process to start.

But then again, "almost" seems to be the operative word here based on your comment.
It seems to happen a lot earlier in NY than it does in Chicago for some reason. We have towers that get to 50 stories before any glass.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 4:38 AM
New Yorker for life

I think it will happen sooner here because they want to show off their statement tower...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiVAji9n...n-by=bmbressan

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiU9hKKj...rmarcelomolina

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 12:54 PM

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we saw glass by the end of June

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 5:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 8:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 9:37 PM
Mr. Technology

I wonder which is worse, building (or welding) in the summer heat or the winter chill.

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 12:16 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

In the winter chill. Unless you have many many layers or below-freezing suit, that wind chill will cut through the outfit if not prepared. Wind speed as elevation increases I'd imagine wouldn't make it as bad in the summer (like a 95-100 f day).

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 1:17 AM
Mr. Technology

Those iron beams will melt the skin off your hands in the summer heatwave.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 1:40 PM

It appears that another two stories of steel core and exterior beams have been added.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive