HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 3:30 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Boise the Beautiful ~Autumn~ The photo thread link

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=175784

A few pics from the main thread, there are many, many, many more at the link Click above for a good time.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=175784
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:14 AM
Wen Lambo

Thread looks good!

This is probably my favorite building in Boise. The Hoff(?) right? I love the art deco. I also really like Boise Depot.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 7:29 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Thanks.

That is the Hoff Building built in 1930. It was originally built as the Hotel Boise and still has a grand lobby. There is also an ornate ballroom used for functions, but I have always wished this building would be turned back into a hotel but that will probably never happen.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 9:22 PM
NYC Rick

Very nice pics!!!

Nice nice variety!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 4:20 PM

What a great thread over at the link, there are so many pictures I had to refresh my browser a few times! This reminds me of why I live in Boise.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 6:00 PM
not a cynic

AAA+! Will view again! Item as advertised!

It should be noted to non-locals, all of those pics, even the natural settings ones are within walking distance of the central business district.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
AAA+! Will view again! Item as advertised!

It should be noted to non-locals, all of those pics, even the natural settings ones are within walking distance of the central business district.
Incredible pictures Sawtooth, your photos of Boise are one of the main reasons I keep coming back to Skycraperpage.com. Boise is one of the few cities that I have visited where I have been in natural areas right in the city, for example the parks and river greenbelt, which gave the impression that I was not in the city. Boise is a tranquil place where the pulse of urbanity can be escaped from right in the middle of the city and all of you Boise people should really be proud of the parks and river and incredible natural surroundings!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2009, 4:55 PM

Sawtooth, what area of the river did you see the deer? Does anyone remember the elk that was running through downtown last winter and had to be stunned so that he could be transported back to the mountains?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 1:54 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Thanks everyone, remember to check out the link to the main thread.
I saw the deer just beyond the East Parkcenter Bridge across the river from the Albertsons headquarters and as boisecynic said all of the nature pics are within walking distance of the heart of downtown.

Northenlad, you are right on, Boise is unique with the amount of nature mixed with urban and the natural contiguous greenery, foilage, and parks stretching along the river for over 25 miles in length. Biking the Greenbelt is one of my favorite pastimes.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Thanks everyone, remember to check out the link to the main thread.
I saw the deer just beyond the East Parkcenter Bridge across the river from the Albertsons headquarters and as boisecynic said all of the nature pics are within walking distance of the heart of downtown.

Northenlad, you are right on, Boise is unique with the amount of nature mixed with urban and the natural contiguous greenery, foilage, and parks stretching along the river for over 25 miles in length. Biking the Greenbelt is one of my favorite pastimes.
I saw eight(yes I counted) deer at the corner of Parkcenter Blvd and Park Blvd where Parkcenter splits into Front and Park right after the bridge. It was pretty cool.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2009, 9:25 PM

You should put together your skyline pictures including the ones you have taken from Tablerock into a collection. The two in this new thread are awesome because the park and mountains give Boise a regal look. Both of your pictures below I copied from the "City of Eden" thread because these are some of my favorite skyline shots of Boise.

Quote:
**By Sawtooth**

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 12:00 AM

Great set as always. I enjoyed seeing the variety. I also think it would be cool to do a photo set on some of the different neighborhoods of Boise, and perhaps some of the residential infill.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Great set as always. I enjoyed seeing the variety. I also think it would be cool to do a photo set on some of the different neighborhoods of Boise, and perhaps some of the residential infill.
If I get some decent photo editing software on my laptop by spring I'll try and do a tour of SE Boise and some of the older Bench neighborhoods. There are a lot of cool older houses and some cool new infill in both areas.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 2:03 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Thanks TonyAnderson. I put together a thread of the Northend Historic District last Fall. The Northend is separated from downtown by State Street and extends to the base of the Foothills. Here's the link if you are interested. I might try and take photos of areas outside of the central city area and post them, possibly later this Winter into Spring.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ighlight=boise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco(bsu) Fan View Post
If I get some decent photo editing software on my laptop by spring I'll try and do a tour of SE Boise and some of the older Bench neighborhoods. There are a lot of cool older houses and some cool new infill in both areas.

A tour of SouthEast would be cool Bronco. The River Run area off of Parkcenter Boulevard is one of my favorites in the city. You should also hit the Kootenai area up on the Bench.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 5:09 AM

Quote:
A tour of SouthEast would be cool Bronco. The River Run area off of Parkcenter Boulevard is one of my favorites in the city. You should also hit the Kootenai area up on the Bench.
Exactly where I was thinking of going, along with a general SE Boise tour. There are a lot of older homes spread out through this part of the city mixed in with the new.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks.

That is the Hoff Building built in 1930. It was originally built as the Hotel Boise and still has a grand lobby. There is also an ornate ballroom used for functions, but I have always wished this building would be turned back into a hotel but that will probably never happen.
I assume it's office space now?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 2:59 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
I assume it's office space now?
Yeah, office space and there is a ballroom, the Crystal Ballroom, used for parties and other functions. The first floor is retail.
I was able to find these vintage postcards on line of when the building was originally the Hotel Boise, but I can't locate any old photos online of the interior when it was a hotel, so I might have to make a trip to the State Historical Museum. There has got to be a good collection somewhere of old photos taken back when this building was completed.

I found these images at ebay of all sites.

Here are a few oldies from cardcow.com

I really like this view, notice the Hotel Boise aka Hoff Building kind of dominated when this was taken.
The Boise City Council from the 70's and early 80's should be ashamed at what they did to so many blocks in downtown.

Our current city hall is an Ugly Betty compared to this one. Why oh why is this gone

Last edited by Sawtooth; Dec 5, 2009 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 8:28 PM

That birds eye view is interesting.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
What do you think of the signage on top? There's a few of those here in Utah (usually Wells Fargo buildings) and I'm definitely not a fan. Many like it though.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 6:45 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
What do you think of the signage on top? There's a few of those here in Utah (usually Wells Fargo buildings) and I'm definitely not a fan. Many like it though.
I think that style of signage looked good for the time period it was popular in but in current time I think that kind of signage is hideous and a perfect example of what was done in the past that doesn't look good in modern time. I am glad that this sign is not on top of The Hoff aka Hotel Boise anymore and I'm sure it looks good where ever it is stored at; it has to be in storage somewhere, hopefully.

I think it would be great if that sign were to be incorporated into a vintage neon sign project planned for an alley in downtown Boise. http://www.signsofourtimes.org/project.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West