HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 27, 2005, 9:52 PM

Quote;
Paul no offense but i've lived in San Antonio and DT San Antonio is isn't necessarily "vibrant" per se' along the lines of San Diego and New Orleans. The River Walk and River Center Mall are a wonderful anchor for DT San Antonio, but that's about as much as a tourist trap imo as Old Sacramento. As far as Downtown Sacramento and San Antonio, Sac offers more galleries, and pubs, that attract younger people imo. I also think there's a much larger variety of cuisine options, although SA Is a wonderful place to experience TexMex. I will say that I think that San Antonio does some things better than Sacramento (The River Walk) for starters and highway planning for another. However in the same respect, Sacramento has a few qualities i couldn't find in SA. Both are wonderful mid sized cities imo. San Antonio still ranks as one of my favorites.

Actually,

San Antonio attracts over 21 million tourists, probably more than New Orleans and San Diego.One source said New orleans attracts 10 million visitors per year.I thought it would be more than that.San Diego i dont know the numbers.

San Antonio downtown mostly Tex Mex? LMAO, hundreds of restruants pubs etc that offer every type of cuisine, in the downtown area.Houston street,St.Pauls Square,Sunset Depot and also the Riverwalk cater to the young crowd.There are 2 arts districts downtowns .Sac is not there yet. have you been to SA lately?OMG, I dont think SAC would be considerd a top tourist covention destination like San Antonio.

Looks like it's moving on up tough, wish we had news of a couple new 400 and 500 footers ?

How many people visit SAC annually?
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2005, 11:39 PM
Here we stAy

GTFO of this thread! No one wants you here, and you aren't contributing anything. Please leave.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2005, 12:16 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX
Quote;
Paul no offense but i've lived in San Antonio and DT San Antonio is isn't necessarily "vibrant" per se' along the lines of San Diego and New Orleans. The River Walk and River Center Mall are a wonderful anchor for DT San Antonio, but that's about as much as a tourist trap imo as Old Sacramento. As far as Downtown Sacramento and San Antonio, Sac offers more galleries, and pubs, that attract younger people imo. I also think there's a much larger variety of cuisine options, although SA Is a wonderful place to experience TexMex. I will say that I think that San Antonio does some things better than Sacramento (The River Walk) for starters and highway planning for another. However in the same respect, Sacramento has a few qualities i couldn't find in SA. Both are wonderful mid sized cities imo. San Antonio still ranks as one of my favorites.

Actually,

San Antonio attracts over 21 million tourists, probably more than New Orleans and San Diego.One source said New orleans attracts 10 million visitors per year.I thought it would be more than that.San Diego i dont know the numbers.

San Antonio downtown mostly Tex Mex? LMAO, hundreds of restruants pubs etc that offer every type of cuisine, in the downtown area.Houston street,St.Pauls Square,Sunset Depot and also the Riverwalk cater to the young crowd.There are 2 arts districts downtowns .Sac is not there yet. have you been to SA lately?OMG, I dont think SAC would be considerd a top tourist covention destination like San Antonio.

Looks like it's moving on up tough, wish we had news of a couple new 400 and 500 footers ?

How many people visit SAC annually?

It's cool Mike, I know that Paul loves SA and there's alot to love about it. It's all in good fun.

Paul I would be the first one to argue on behalf of San Antonio in many respects. Objectively, I don't think there's any question that if you ask 10 people if they would prefer to visit San Antonio or Sacramento, probably 7 out of 10 would say San Antonio.
Sacramento is adjacent 3 wine appelations, so obviously the 3 that would choose Sacramento are wine drinkers like myself.
I'm not sure how many visitors Sacramento attracts though it pales in comparisson to SA. I think the numbers here are between 6 and 10 million visitors a year. Maybe one of the other forumers knows exactly.

But San Antonio has a wealth of opportunities for visitors and I think that's why it's such a wonderful tourist destination.

Fiesta Texas
Sea World
The Alamo
the River Walk
The Mercado
the Japanese Tea Garden as well as the Botanical garden

These are great tourists destinations for Texas and the nation. I think my comments are more along the lines (not as a tourist) but as somebody who has lived in both cities and being objective about what they offer (not for visitors) but for residents.

If you read my comments on some of the other subjects, you'll see that I'm as objective about Sacramento as I am about San Antonio (or anywhere USA).

The Sacramento waterfront is an embarassment and I think it's nonsense for people to consider that Sacramento is ready for MLB, although some of my friends and fellow forumers would disagree.

Sacramento has a much better transit system with the Capitols between the Bay and Sac and RT Metro running nearly 40 miles of tracks and all but about 6 miles double tracked.

San Antonio has a much better highway system and not the third world (neglected joke) of a highway system we have here in Sacramento.

Like I said though, I stand by my comments about the limited cuisine options for San Antonio. It hadn't changed much during my last visit. Nor has the downtown changed much from when I lived there. Though I'm sure that like Sacramento, things are getting better with time and growth. There are some exciting things happening in San Antonio and that's why I love to follow along and keep track of my old stomping grounds. I love San Antonio and still have many friends there.

Having lived in both cities I know there are more similarities than people who haven't lived in both realize.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2005, 12:29 AM
Here we stAy

I'm just sick of his trolling. No one asked him anything about SA in this thread about Sacramento construction. Make no mistake; he's a troll, pure and simple.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2005, 7:32 AM

What a sport, but urban encounter frequents SA threads and I enjoy his comments even if I dont agree on everything he says.This is a forum isnt it? SO GET OVER IT!!! I REPLIED TO HIS COMMENT!!! TROLL, WTF ever!!! TROLLS are the ones that get all bent out of shape becasue of a reply.Did I call him a troll for his reply!!! SO whats the big deal then?
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2005, 7:33 AM

Ive been a member since 1999 so I think I deserve the right to reply.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2005, 7:53 AM
Here we stAy

Sure everyone does. But no one likes shameless boosterism. Just look at your "response" and tell me that's not combative.

And how could you accuse me of being a troll in a thread that I have actually contributed to?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2005, 1:49 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Like I said I think it's all in good fun. I think each member should enjoy this forum and contribute what they can. Pau's comments weren't meant to degrade Sacramento and in fact he hasn't said anything in this thread that wasn't true. I have no problem being objective and Paul even complimented the addtitonal towers going up DT.

Both cities are wonderful cities imho. They both have something many cities of equal or larger sizes lack (and that's character). Believe me when I say this, because i've done a great deal of traveling. I've always said it's not the size of the city (or even it's skyline). It's how it weaves into the fabric of the community.

Both cities are wonderful and I love keeping an eye and contributing in the SA forums and I certainly don't mind forumers from other communities offering their objective opinions.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Oct 29, 2005 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 1:46 AM
4giv me for I have Zin'd

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 6:23 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

I wonder why they felt the need to label the Tower Bridge and the Sacramento River?

Duh!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 6:25 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:

600+ footers, but who's counting.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 6:27 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

More of Epic.........

50 stories Mixed use 615+ feet.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 9:04 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

wow interesting lobby for Epic. Can't wait for the marketing push soon so we can get more information.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2005, 4:23 PM

Dam ! That is tight NEW SACRAMENTO.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2005, 5:03 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Dam ! That is tight NEW SACRAMENTO.

Yeah all of these new towers will sure make the 28 and 30 story towers dwarfs in comparison.

The new skyline and new DT are about 20 years overdue. But better late than never.

I wasn't a fan of Epic when the first renderings came around, but when it's shown from another angle, it looks pretty sharp.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2005, 7:44 PM
Here we stAy

I totally agree. I really like the concave side of it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2005, 8:43 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport

I just hope the (underachievers) on Design Review don't make Libeskind and Nassi tone it down. They have a way of taking nice designs and turning them to crap. (imho)

Old Posted Nov 7, 2005, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport

I just hope the (underachievers) on Design Review don't make Libeskind and Nassi tone it down. They have a way of taking nice designs and turning them to crap. (imho)
LOL _"The Underachievers". Sounds like a great name for comedy about bureaucrats.

I totally agree with you though. This city really need more daring designs. Who are these arbitrators of taste on Design Review anyway? Are these the same people who approved the SMUD “Plaza of Lights” ..[barf].

Old Posted Nov 16, 2005, 2:12 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

New 23 story Meridian Plaza II planning begins

Planning for 23 story Meridian Plaza II getting underway

Bob Shallit (SacBee Business section) 11/16/05

One down, one to go: The developer of downtown's Meridian Plaza office building at 14th and L streets is about to launch the project's second phase - a 23-story tower right behind the 12-story, 240,000-square-foot original.
Tony Giannoni says he has just signed a contract with architecture firm Hornberger+Worstell and expects to submit plans to the city in three or four months. The start of construction is probably a year away.

What will be in the new building, at 15th and K? That's not decided. Offices, certainly. But it could have upper-level residential condos. Office condos also are a possibility.

"We want to be as flexible as we can so we can adjust to the market," says Giannoni.

How has leasing gone on the first building? Very well. Industry talk has a local law firm taking the building's last big chunk of available space - about 24,000 square feet.

"That's the scuttlebutt," Giannoni says, then all but confirms the rumor. "That's why we're kicking off Phase II."

Last edited by urban_encounter; Nov 16, 2005 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2005, 11:27 PM
Here we stAy

Really glad to hear this news. Just another dirt parcel to get developed downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations