HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 12:47 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Someone stole the sideview mirror off my car when I was parked on Allendale Saturday night. I wonder if it was these two. I should contact the RNC and try and get it back.

My car is cursed.

EDIT: Oh, just re-read and saw it was Sunday.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Someone stole the sideview mirror off my car when I was parked on Allendale Saturday night. I wonder if it was these two. I should contact the RNC and try and get it back.

My car is cursed.

EDIT: Oh, just re-read and saw it was Sunday.
Who steals a mirror, honestly? Man some people are messed up.

---------------

Quote:
Armed Robbery in St. John's

Police are seeking the public's help in solving an armed robbery on Malta Street in St. John's on the weekend. Police say a man, armed with a knife, entered Empire Convenience store Sunday afternoon and demanded cash before fleeing the scene. There were no injuries.

The suspect is described as 6 feet tall and 185 pounds with short hair. He was wearing black jeans and had his face covered at the time of the incident. Anyone with information is asked to contact the RNC or Crime Stoppers.

http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=39962&latest=1

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Who steals a mirror, honestly? Man some people are messed
I guess even those too poor to afford a mirror like to see themselves sometimes and they feel an intense desire to stare deeply into their own face as the "Rich Folk" do. They feel the only way to achieve this is to crack the mirrors off of cars and horde them in their basement.

#Psycology

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 11:31 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Who steals a mirror, honestly? Man some people are messed up.
The hilarious thing is that the mirror was water damaged and was worth nothing.

I did ask the guys at Speedy what the value was of what was stolen, and they couldn't come up with one. A small piece that attaches the mirror was removed as well, but they said that it is ONLY used in mirrors for my type of car (Chevy Malibu). So, the best we could come up with is a Malibu owner needed to repair their mirror and didn't want to pay for it, or someone was just going around being a dick for no reason.

I'm going to go with the "dick for no reason" assumption, because for me to replace the part AND order a mirror to fit, it is going to cost me a whopping $80.00.

I can't imagine anyone resorting to theft to cover that sort of minor repair. But hey, stranger things have happened I guess.

My part isn't in until next week, so if anyone sees the dude in the Malibu driving around (and I do a lot of driving for work during the week) with a green garbage bag wrapped around their driver's side mirror, honk. It's me. Can't let the inside get all wet!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Violent death 2 months after assault charge

A St. John's man who allegedly assaulted a woman in August has been charged with her death.

William Conway, 50, was arrested on Thursday, in connection with the sudden death of Veronica Lewis, 57, in Airport Heights early that morning.

Lewis was found dead on Firdale Drive shortly before 1:30 a.m.

Conway was behind the wheel of the vehicle that struck Lewis. He then fled the scene.

He was scheduled to appear in provincial court in December on the assault charges.

RNC canvas neighbourhood

After the body was discovered, Royal Newfoundland Constabulary officers canvassed the neighbourhood, in hopes of locating witnesses.

Ray Walsh heard the commotion outside his home on Firdale Drive.

"I just woke up at two o'clock in the morning, and was alarmed at the number of police lights that were on the go," said Walsh.

"I looked out through the window and I think there was six or seven police cars out there. Two cars had the road blocked here, and a number of them had the road blocked below."

Walsh said he could make out the shape of a lifeless body, across the street from his home.

"It looked like something lying in the street, which I assumed to be a body … it had been covered up."

Walsh added that Thursday's incident wasn't the first time he's seen police on the street.

"Every now and then you see a car parked on the corner down there, or parked half way down the street."

In a news conference on Thursday afternoon, Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Cst. Talia Murphy said that the accused and the deceased had been in a relationship.

"It's believed that an argument or altercation may have occurred between the two individuals, and then it was reported that the female was located in the roadway, deceased."

Conway has a criminal history from the late 1980s and early 1990s of assault and possession of stolen property.

He also faces one count of leaving the scene of an accident in February.

Major crime investigators continue to work with the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to determine the cause of death.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...arge-1.2223883

No homicide charge has been laid, though I wouldn't be surprised it was added on once the circumstances leading up to this are investigated further.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Another Armed Robbery in St. John's

Armed robberies continue to be a problem in the capital city, as there was another one last night. RNC say someone entered a business on Blackmarsh Road around 10:00, robbed the place and got away with an undisclosed amount of cash. K-9 units were brought in to assist in the investigation but so far no arrests have been made.
http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=40289&latest=1

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Man delivering pizza held up in St. John's

Police in St. John's are investigating another armed robbery in St. John's.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary responded to the area of Freshwater Road around 2:45 a.m. Sunday, where a man delivering pizza reported being held up by three masked persons.

The victim says all three were dressed in dark clothing, and one of the suspects was armed with an edged weapon.

Police said an amount of cash was taken, and there were no injuries sustained.

RNC Officers and the K-9 unit attended the scene.

No arrests have been made.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...hn-s-1.2350210

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
More Information on Armed Robberies

The RNC are investigating two armed robberies in the metro region last night. The first occurred around 7 o'clock at Clara's Convenience on the corner of Blackmarsh and Mundy Pond roads in St. John's. Police say an armed man entered the store and demanded cash and cigarettes before fleeing the scene. There were no injuries. Police have not said what kind of weapon was used, and have no description of the suspect.

Meanwhile, a second armed robbery took place around 9 last night at Marie's Mini Mart on Topsail Road. A man armed with a knife robbed the store. There were no injuries. The man is described as about 6 feet tall with a thin build. He had his face covered. Anyone with information is asked to contact RNC or Crime Stoppers.
http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=40378&latest=1

Old Posted Nov 13, 2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
UPDATE: Man seriously injured in shooting in St. John's

A 30-year-old man was seriously injured Monday night in a shooting incident on Williams Heights in St. John's.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary says he remains in hospital. Based on a preliminary investigation, police say the incident is not believed to be random.

”It appeared to be a targeted attack and there’s some indication that the victim may have known the suspect," Police Chief Robert Johnston said at a news conference on Tuesday.

At this stage in the investigation, the RNC says it will not be providing any details on possible motives.

Johnston said the victim has multiple injuries that appear to be from a firearm and is in serious but stable condition. Police have not recovered a firearm and are not saying what type of firearm was used.

He also didn't disclose if they have been able to speak with the victim yet.

The police force said in a news release it considers this incident to be serious and is deploying extensive resources to bring those responsible to justice. The investigation is still in the preliminary stages and updates will be provided by way of a media release as new information becomes available. Anyone who has any information in relation to this incident is asked to contact the RNC at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). You can now provide information anonymously on the N.L. Crime Stoppers website at www.nlcrimestoppers.com

(Earlier story)

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is investigating a shooting incident in the west end of St. John's Monday night.

According to police, around 8 p.m., a man sustained serious injuries arising from apparent gunshot wounds to his body and was admitted to hospital.

The RNC says it appears this was a targeted act of violence and there appears to be no threat to public safety.

Police will have further details available as the investigation unfolds.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...in-St.-Johns/1

Quote:
Woman arrested following armed robbery at St. John’s convenience store

A 34-year-old woman is in police custody following an armed robbery Tuesday night in St. John’s.

According to the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, the incident happened at Needs Convenience on Military Road. Police said there were no injuries.

The accused will face charges of armed robbery and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose. Police did not provide a description of the weapon in question.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...nience-store/1

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Back-to-back holdups at St. John's corner stores

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is seeking the public's help in connection with two late-night armed robberies in St. John's that occurred within 10 minutes of each other.

The first incident happened at about 11:45 p.m. Wednesday at Jackman and Greene on Cookstown Road.

The male suspect was armed with a knife, and escaped with a quantity of cash. He is described as being about six feet tall, between 160 and 180 pounds, and was wearing a red sweater-shirt. Police said the suspect also had his face concealed.

Around midnight, the RNC were alerted to a similar scenario, where a masked man armed with a knife held up Marie's Mini Mart on Blackmarsh Road.

In that case, a man wearing a light blue T-shirt, and described as five feet ten with a slim build, got away with cash.

Police called in a forensics team as well as the K-9 unit to assist in both cases.

There were no injuries in either of the incidents.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ores-1.2426158

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Third Armed Robbery in Two Nights on Avalon

The RNC is looking for the man responsible for an armed robbery in Conception Bay South. Police say the masked man held up Marie's Mini Mart on Fowler's Road with a knife just before 10:30 p.m. Thursday. He got away with cash and cigarettes before fleeing the scene in a black, four-door vehicle.

The suspect is described as 6'4" tall with a slim build and short blonde hair. At the time, he was wearing a grey hoodie, jeans and a white baseball hat. There were no injuries. The robbery was one of three in the last two nights on the Northeast Avalon.

Anyone with information is being asked to contact police or Crime Stoppers.

The investigation continues into a pair of armed robberies in St. John's, both late Wednesday night. A man armed with a knife, entered Marie's Mini-Mart on Blackmarsh Road and demanded cash before fleeing the scene. There were no injuries. The suspect is described as 5'10", with a slim build. He was wearing a light blue t-shirt and jeans, and had his face concealed.

RNC are also seeking the public's help in identifying the person behind an armed robbery at a convenience store on Cookstown Road in St. John's. In that robbery a man, also armed with a knife, held up the Jackman and Greene and fled with an undisclosed amount of cash. The man is described as about 6 feet tall, 160-180 lbs, and was wearing a red sweater shirt, jeans, and had his face concealed.

Meanwhile, RNC have arrested and charged a 36-year-old St. John's man in connection with a break and enter at the Family Drug Mart on Portugal Cove Road early Thursday. Police had gotten a report of a suspicious person in the area, The man was charged with possession of break and enter tools, break and enter, and breaches of a court order.
http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=40713&latest=1

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Man reports being shot at in St. John's

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is investigating a report from a man who showed up at an emergency room Wednesday night in St. John's and said he was shot at and the theft of four firearms from a parked vehicle in the city.

The RNC says it has no information, however, to connect the two incidents.

Around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday, the RNC was called to the Health Sciences Centre after a report from Memorial University's campus enforcement that a man in his early 30s drove to emergency, reporting that he was assaulted and shot at.

On arrival, the RNC members noted a vehicle outside the emergency area with what appeared to be damage from gunshot blasts.

The man was treated and later released.

The investigation is in its preliminary stages and police say further information will be released as more information is ascertained.

According to police, a vehicle at Don Cherry's Restaurant on Freshwater Road was also broken into Wednesday and four firearms stolen — a black Maverick Pump Action 12 gauge, a wooden Stevens Pump Action 12 gauge, a wooden Gamester Modified Choke 12 gauge, a 22-calibre Bolt Action Synthetic Stock

The RNC said there was no ammunition stolen with the firearms and all were in locked boxes.

Police investigators are asking anyone with information about these incidents to contact the RNC or Crime Stoppers.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Stabbing in St. John's home leads to woman's arrest

Police have arrested and charged a 46-year-old woman with aggravated assault, and assault causing bodily harm in the west end of St. John's.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary was called to a house on Cowan Avenue on Sunday afternoon.

A woman, 47, was taken to hospital with serious injuries that police said are consistent with a stabbing.

Police said the two women know each other, but did not release any other information about the case.

The RNC investigation is continuing.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...rest-1.2494168

-----

As an aside, here's the link to the new google map for this year
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...08823,0.021136

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 12:17 AM

2013 stats:

9 stabbings
58 armed robberies/muggings/robberies involving weapons
2 assaults that were notable enough to for me to make special mention of (no idea now what the significance of this was)
8 shootings
3 homicides
0 attempted homicide
0 sexual assaults (that I have anyway)
723095 George Street brawls that have ended with someones face being smashed with a hot dog.

This is what was reported in the media and stayed on the front page long enough for me to catch. Armed robbery numbers are usually slightly higher than the media reports due to some reports being released days/even weeks after the event happens.

Also feel like there were more sexual assaults than 0, I'll try to map these better this year.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 8:23 PM

Quote:
UPDATE: RNC make arrest in Conception Bay South robbery

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC) has arrested and charged a 19-year-old man in connection with an armed robbery in Conception Bay South early this morning.

RNC

Around 2:30 a.m., the RNC responded to an armed robbery at Ultramar on the Conception Bay South Highway.

The suspect, armed with a weapon, entered the store and demanded cash before fleeing the scene. There were no injuries sustained during the offence.

RNC officers apprehended a man shortly after the incident. He has been charged with armed robbery, being disguised with intent to commit a robbery and possession of weapon for a dangerous purpose. The accused was arrested without incident and held to appear in provincial court.

Another armed robbery at C.J. Convenience store on Foxtrap Access Road in Conception Bay South around 9:40 p.m. Thursday, is also under investigation by the RNC.

A male suspect, armed with a weapon, reportedly entered the store and demanded cash before fleeing the scene empty handed. There were no injuries sustained during the incident.

The suspect is described as approximately five feet, seven inches tall and 130 pounds. At the time of the incident, he was described as wearing a grey sweater, jeans, and a black hat and had his face concealed.

The RNC General Investigation Unit is seeking the assistance of the general public in both of these robbery investigations. Anyone with information that would assist police investigators is asked to contact the RNC at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). You can also provide information anonymously on the N.L. Crime Stoppers website at www.nlcrimestoppers.com.

•••

(Earlier story)

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is investigating two armed robberies in Conception Bay South.

Around 9:42 p.m. Thursday night, officers responded to a reported armed robbery at a convenience store in Foxtrap. An unidentified man entered the store with a weapon and fled the scene empty handed.

The K-9 Unit and Criminal Investigation Division were called to the scene and the robbery remains under investigation.

Around 2:36 a.m. this morning, RNC officers responded to a report of another armed robbery at a gas bar in Kelligrews. In this incident, an unidentified man entered the gas bar with a weapon and fled with an undisclosed amount of money.

The K-9 Unit, RNC Forensics Unit and Criminal Investigation Division were called to the scene and that robbery is also under investigation.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...outh-robbery/1

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Two More Armed Robberies in Metro

There were two more armed robberies last night in St. John's.

The first happened around 6:30 at the City Superette on Pleasant Street. RNC officers, with the help of a K-9 unit, tried to track down the suspect but were unsuccessful.

The second happened just before midnight at the Ultramar on Kenmount Road. Somebody got away with an undisclosed amount of cash.

No arrests have been made in either robbery and RNC have not said if the two are connected. Anyone who may have witnessed anything is asked to contact RNC or Crime Stoppers.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...42681&latest=1

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Store robbed near Avalon Mall

Police are looking for a man who held up a convenience store in the area of the Avalon Mall last night. The male had his face covered and left with a quantity of cash. There were no injuries. No arrests have been made.

A 54-year-old man is facing charges after a motor vehicle accident in the east end of St. john’s Friday night. The male was charged with impaired driving and failing the breathalyzer. He was detained for court.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-Avalon-Mall/1

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Drugs stolen in armed robbery at St. John’s pharmacy

A man stole prescription drugs from a pharmacy in the east end of St. John’s early Tuesday afternoon in what police are calling an armed robbery.

The business targeted was Parkside Pharmacy on Mount Cashel Road, according to a Royal Newfoundland Constabulary news release. A man entered the pharmacy carrying a weapon and demanded drugs. He left the business with prescription narcotics. There were no injuries.

Police did not say what type of weapon was used to commit the crime, but the RNC did express concern about the types of drugs stolen, labelling their potential availability on the street “a public safety concern.”

Police describe the suspect as 5’8” with a slim build. He was reportedly wearing a dark hoodie at the pharmacy.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) and online at www.nlcrimestoppers.com.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...3Bs-pharmacy/1

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 2:34 PM

Quote:
RNC investigating another armed robbery in St. John's

he Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is investigating another armed robbery early this morning in St. John’s and a robbery Tuesday night without a weapon.

Police received a report of an armed robbery around 12:10 a.m. at the Ultramar on Kenmount Road. Two people were reported to have entered the gas bar with what police say was an “edged weapon” and left with an undisclosed amount of cash and items. They ran from the scene, towards the Avalon Mall.

This is the second time in two weeks that this gas bar has been targeted in an armed robbery.

Anyone with information that would assist police investigators are asked to contact the RNC or Crime Stoppers.

Around 7:48 p.m. Tuesday, a robbery was reported at Needs Convenience store on Newfoundland Drive where a man reportedly entered the store and demanded items.

The RNC said no weapon was visible. That incident is also under investigation.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Knife pulled in early-morning mugging

Police in St. John's are investigating two muggings that occurred within 12 hours of each other, including one incident in which a knife was pulled.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary said two men accosted a group of men early Monday morning on Cookstown Road, near downtown St. John's.

One of the men pulled a knife, and a 35-year-old man's wallet was stolen. He was treated in hospital for minor injuries and released.

Meanwhile, a woman jumped another woman on Sunday afternoon in the parking lot near the Dominion supermarket on Blackmarsh Road.

The attacker pulled the woman along the ground and tried to steal her purse. The woman sustained minor injuries.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ging-1.2530139

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's