HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:20 AM
I am a typical

Big Town, haha. Better than Thunder Bay promoting itself as the Toronto of Northern Ontario.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
I respectfully disagree with your statements (as do a huge majority of western Canadians and Ontarioans). The Conservatives have been in power for the last 6 and 1/2 years and during that time, Canada has been one of the few bright spots financially in the western world. Their policies and focus on the economy have allowed Canada to continue to have the revenues to continue to finance our world class system of social programs as well. Not to mention a low rate of personal and corporate taxation which leaves more money in the hands of people who can spend it far more wisely than the government (despite Scott Reid's rant about welfare mothers spending child support payments on beer and popcorn).

Yes, I am a Conservative supporter, but clearly many on this site are not and they make that clear in their comments. I do not like partisan politics, but there are almost always two sides to every story and it is important to hear all views. While the Liberals did a good job of balancing the budget in the mid 90's, remember that they did it by eliminating twice as many jobs as the Conservatives are now, and by offloading huge costs to the provinces, and also by stealing hundreds of millions of dollars from the public service pension fund. And don't even get me started on the financial mess that Trudeau left this country in.

Sorry for the rant, but I think that this thread needs some balance. OK, I'm ready to be slammed now as a knuckle dragging, neo-con facist
I am not a supporter of any political party, so don't have strong feelings either way but i do have a bit of feedback on your post!

While I agree that Canada is doing well relative to a lot of other developed countries, I do not agree that it is due to what the conservatives have done. The truth is that they had significantly increased spending and reduced revenue prior to the global financial meltdown hitting and were well on their way to putting the government in a defecit position before it hit. The solid state of Canada's position was handed to the conservatives when they came into power, it is much less solid that what it was. They also, as another posted stated, started to move our mortgage system to one much closer to the states piror to the meltdown. Realizing it was a mistake they reversed some of the changes and claimed they were taking action, but they never should have made the changes in the first place.

I would also argue that today's conservatives are also offloading costs to the provinces, take their crime bill for example, which will increase costs for the provinces.

I also do not like partisan politics but unfortunately the conservatives are the most partisan party we've ever had in this country and it has really brought politics to a new low in my opinion.

Finally, my comments are not intended to slam your opinion, I am just providing a different view.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 7:04 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Not good news for long term immigration to MB. Also, classic 90's that the office was relocated to Calgary. Wonder whose constituency is in Calgary...

Who voted for these guys?

Manitoba 'worried' about federal immigration changes

Quote:

As part of the wave of budget cuts happening across the province, the federal Citizenship and Immigration Department office in Winnipeg will be relocated to Calgary.

'Our concern is it will turn off the taps on the Provincial Nominee Program.'—Rachel Morgan. government spokeswoman

Ottawa is also cancelling an agreement with Manitoba that allows the province to run its highly-successful Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

Under the program, Ottawa paid Manitoba to provide settlement service for newcomers.

"It could have a huge impact on immigration here. Our concern is it will turn off the taps on the Provincial Nominee Program," said government spokeswoman Rachel Morgan.

"It's not going to happen overnight but we're worried."

So apparently the closing of Winnipeg's Citizen and Immigration department office was just a rumour - instead, it's just a handful of IT and HR jobs that are moving to Calgary, but not the office itself.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 4:23 PM

Saskatchewan Land values Soar

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:03 PM
Hmm....

I had no idea we had a bit of an aerospace industry going here... news to me. That and the fact that they've resurrected the old AVRO name.

Quote:
Press Release: Historic Canadian jet returns home

Avro Aircraft Limited (AVRO) is pleased to announce the return of a historic Canadian aircraft to Canada. This Canadair CL-41G aircraft is the most recent component of AVRO’s innovative jet development program. The aircraft is scheduled for arrival in Canada Tuesday April 17th 2012 at approximately 4PM to Regina International Airport.

WireService.ca Press Release - REGINA, Saskatchewan - April 17th, 2012 - Avro Aircraft Limited (AVRO) is pleased to announce the return of a historic Canadian aircraft to Canada. This Canadair CL-41G aircraft is the most recent component of AVRO’s innovative jet development program. This program contributes to the growth of Saskatchewan’s emerging aerospace sector. The recently purchased Canadair CL41-G Tebuan aircraft is a variant of the CT-114 Tutor. The Tutor is best known as the jet flown by the Snowbirds, the Canadian Forces aerobatic team based in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

AVRO is a Canadian aerospace company with headquarters in Regina, Saskatchewan. AVRO will use the aircraft as part of its flight test program for a new generation of jet engines being developed by Atlantis Research Labs, its parent company. The AVRO engine uses a patented technology which converts sound waves into energy eliminating the need for moving parts within the engine. These engines have incredible capabilities at supersonic speeds. Upon completing subsonic air trials in Canada, AVRO will move into phase II supersonic testing. The company is exploring a joint venture opportunity with NASA, where AVRO could utilize NASA’s expertise and supersonic F-15 and F-18 fighter jets as research platforms.

AVRO’s jet, the only privately owned CL41 flying in Canada, will be arriving from New York at the Regina airport on Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 at approximately 4:00pm. The aircraft spent most of its years in combat service half way around the world in the Malaysian Air Force. It will be flown into Regina by pilots Ross Granley and Tim Rupcich. Mr. Granley is a former Royal Canadian Air Force pilot with extensive experience on this aircraft. Mr. Rupcich is a Vice President at Avro Aircraft Limited and holds a commercial pilot rating. Avro Aircraft Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlantis Research Labs Inc. a Saskatchewan corporation. For investment details or flight sponsorship opportunities, please call Vladimir Mravcak at 306-347-AVRO or email Vlad@atlantiscanada.com

Look to the skies this summer as AVRO takes flight over Southern Saskatchewan to once again push the aviation frontier.

Source
Sounds kind of exciting actually.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I had no idea we had a bit of an aerospace industry going here... news to me. That and the fact that they've resurrected the old AVRO name.

Sounds kind of exciting actually.
More on Avro Limited
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...st-120417.html
sounds bizarre to me - I had to double check and make sure it wasn't April first. Another Cdn aircraft co. called Avro? Aerospace in Sask? A jet engine with no moving parts? propelled by sonic waves? hmmpf, whats next, an engine powered by cold fusion that you fuel up with worn out sneakers?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 4:53 PM

Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada expands to Regina

First national communications agency with an office in Saskatchewan

Regina, SK - April 25, 2012 - Hill+Knowlton Strategies (H+K) officially opened an office in Regina, Sask., today – a first for any national communications firm. The office will focus on providing public affairs and communication services in the areas of natural resources, energy, environment, transportation, health and trade.

"Saskatchewan has grown into a real engine of the Canadian economy and that makes it a natural location for our newest office,” said Mike Coates, president and CEO of Hill+Knowlton Strategies in Canada. "Opening an office in Regina is a key part of our national growth plan and we look forward to being part of the Saskatchewan business community in the long-term.”

The Regina office brings H+K’s office count in Canada to nine, alongside offices in Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal and Québec City.

Joy Jennissen, senior vice president of the Western offices for Hill+Knowlton sees an advantage for public affairs and communications agencies with talented, on-the-ground local teams. “While H+K has worked with companies based in Saskatchewan for years, the level of service is different now that we’re able to work face-to-face with our clients,” said Jennissen. "Our model at H+K is to tap into the best local expertise, backed by the resources and reach that a national firm brings. Our team in Saskatchewan understands the subtleties of the communities in which they live and work. They aren’t parachuting in from another province. It means the strategies they put forward to clients are regionally informed and actionable."

Hill+Knowlton’s Saskatchewan office is based in Regina’s historic Prince Edward Building. The office is led by Regina’s Lance Donison who joined the company in 2011.

“We’ve had an extremely warm welcome in the short time we’ve been up and running,” said Donison. “We look forward to growing our client base and the H+K reach across the country.”

About Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada

With nine offices across the country, Hill+Knowlton Strategies (hkstrategies.ca) is a leader in both public relations and public affairs. The company is the No. 1-rated strategic communications firm in Canada. It specializes in corporate communications, public affairs, marketing communications, crisis, energy, technology, health care, digital communications, financial communications and transactions. The only communications firm to have earned the Order of Excellence from Excellence Canada, it is also recognized as one of the 2011 Best Workplaces in Canada. Its parent company, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Inc., has 86 offices in 46 countries as well as an extensive associate network and is a member of WPP (NASDAQ: WPPGY) (www.wpp.com), one of the world’s largest communications services groups.
Source there website

Old Posted Apr 25, 2012, 8:13 PM

I thought they had an office in winnipeg too, but i guess not according to the press release.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada expands to Regina

First national communications agency with an office in Saskatchewan

Regina, SK - April 25, 2012 - Hill+Knowlton Strategies (H+K) officially opened an office in Regina, Sask., today – a first for any national communications firm. The office will focus on providing public affairs and communication services in the areas of natural resources, energy, environment, transportation, health and trade.

"Saskatchewan has grown into a real engine of the Canadian economy and that makes it a natural location for our newest office,” said Mike Coates, president and CEO of Hill+Knowlton Strategies in Canada. "Opening an office in Regina is a key part of our national growth plan and we look forward to being part of the Saskatchewan business community in the long-term.”

The Regina office brings H+K’s office count in Canada to nine, alongside offices in Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal and Québec City.

Joy Jennissen, senior vice president of the Western offices for Hill+Knowlton sees an advantage for public affairs and communications agencies with talented, on-the-ground local teams. “While H+K has worked with companies based in Saskatchewan for years, the level of service is different now that we’re able to work face-to-face with our clients,” said Jennissen. "Our model at H+K is to tap into the best local expertise, backed by the resources and reach that a national firm brings. Our team in Saskatchewan understands the subtleties of the communities in which they live and work. They aren’t parachuting in from another province. It means the strategies they put forward to clients are regionally informed and actionable."

Hill+Knowlton’s Saskatchewan office is based in Regina’s historic Prince Edward Building. The office is led by Regina’s Lance Donison who joined the company in 2011.

“We’ve had an extremely warm welcome in the short time we’ve been up and running,” said Donison. “We look forward to growing our client base and the H+K reach across the country.”

About Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada

With nine offices across the country, Hill+Knowlton Strategies (hkstrategies.ca) is a leader in both public relations and public affairs. The company is the No. 1-rated strategic communications firm in Canada. It specializes in corporate communications, public affairs, marketing communications, crisis, energy, technology, health care, digital communications, financial communications and transactions. The only communications firm to have earned the Order of Excellence from Excellence Canada, it is also recognized as one of the 2011 Best Workplaces in Canada. Its parent company, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Inc., has 86 offices in 46 countries as well as an extensive associate network and is a member of WPP (NASDAQ: WPPGY) (www.wpp.com), one of the world’s largest communications services groups.
Source there website
Having worked in this industry, I can tell you having H&K open an office in Sask. is a big deal. If H&K was in the yoga pants business, they'd be the Lululemon.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 5:51 PM

Osborne Village named greatest neighbourhood in Canada!!

Kudos to Winnipeg for this!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-manitoba.html

Winnipeg's Osborne Village has been named Canada's greatest neighbourhood.

The title was bestowed by the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) on Thursday, as part of an annual contest to "recognize the special places that Canadians love most."

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 9:57 PM

SASKATCHEWAN’S AVERAGE WAGES POST HIGHEST INCREASE AMONG PROVINCES!! Feb 2012

http://www.gov.sk.ca/news?newsId=e07...1-c80147f17304

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 12:32 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

july 18th skrilex will be playing the gold eyes stadium this should be interesting opertunity for a skyline shot

pretty lights will be the opener part of a coast to coast tour by train

Video Link

Last edited by 1ajs; Apr 28, 2012 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 1:08 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Speaking of Skrillex...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 1:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

^^ lol

untill u've herd this music noise what ever u wana call it on a proper rig its eh
http://www.pksound.ca/ (a calgary company)

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 1:25 AM
I am a typical

wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub wub

Way too many wub wubs.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 1:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

well i do have dark side of the moon on reel to reel if it matters.......

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 10:07 PM

Prince Charles, Camilla to visit Toronto, Regina and New Brunswick

BY ROBERT HILTZ, POSTMEDIA NEWS APRIL 30, 2012 5:03 PM

Read more: http://www.canada.com/life/Prince+Ch...#ixzz1tZ3ruWWB

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 10:01 PM

Sask. Government launches new corporate income tax rebate on rental housing

Great news for the thousands that are coming to this great province for opportunity.

http://gov.sk.ca/news?newsId=5f0744c...7-3654d709d1c1

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 12:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan