HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:12 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^i agree that major events support the move for more major capital projects, but i still dont feel we deserve it.

Edmonton needs to shape up, show some respect for itself, and create a friendly welcoming city.
I think hosting this event would be a big step towards doing exactly what you say we should.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:15 PM
Community Guy

^yes...it would and Edmonton always hosts a great event, but i truly think we dont deserve to be on a world stage at this point.

If we dont make decisions and create reasons to make Edmonton more "world class", why should we be a showcase for the world?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:18 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Right now Cold, the forces of mediocrity have a platform with no major compelling event propelling the rest of us to stand up and shout "SHUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUP, this ISN'T VEGRIVILLE!!!!!!" 2017 is designed to elevate another platform, that of a major city that doesn't have to say "world class".

It forces you to take a hard look at yourself. The bid process ALONE will do that. Editorial after column after critique will hammer home the ideas.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:28 PM
Community Guy

^yup and im perhaps playing a little devil's ad here, but Edmonton needs to convince me it is ready for this. Right now i dont see it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:29 PM

9 years from now till 2017 is just right to build towards. At the current rate of change in thinking (look at LRT: we're thinking big again) Edmonton could be a much different place.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuck View Post
Right now Cold, the forces of mediocrity have a platform with no major compelling event propelling the rest of us to stand up and shout "SHUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUP, this ISN'T VEGRIVILLE!!!!!!" 2017 is designed to elevate another platform, that of a major city that doesn't have to say "world class".

It forces you to take a hard look at yourself. The bid process ALONE will do that. Editorial after column after critique will hammer home the ideas.
Is it wrong that the main reason I want a World's Fair is in the hopes that it could act as a giant "Shut Up!" and maybe make people go away?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
Is it wrong that the main reason I want a World's Fair is in the hopes that it could act as a giant "Shut Up!" and maybe make people go away?
No, no it isn't.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 6:43 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
you won't recognize this place in 10 years

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 6:57 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ I hope that is the case.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:27 PM
Big Dog

Would Expo transform E-town? Ask Vancouver
West Coast city came of age after world's fair

Gary Lamphier, The Edmonton Journal
Published: 1:31 am

EDMONTON - Now that Edmonton city council has set the wheels in motion for a possible World's Fair bid for either 2017 or 2020, it's instructive to consider what Expo 86 did for Vancouver, more than 20 years ago.

Expo 86 wasn't just a giant, 165-day party. It was also the catalyst for a civic transformation that forever altered Vancouver's urban landscape.

Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-Shing's massive condo development on False Creek North wouldn't have been built without the kick-start provided by Expo 86.

Ditto for the first leg of the city's now-sprawling SkyTrain system, and such eye-catching architectural icons as Canada Place and Science World.

Even the Coquihalla Highway owes its birth to Expo 86. The initial 115-kilometre leg of the spectacular toll road -- between Merritt and Hope -- was fast-tracked to coincide with Expo's launch in May, 1986.

These are a few of the "legacy" assets Expo left behind. And these assets, in turn, helped accelerate subsequent changes -- such as the redevelopment of the city's Yaletown district -- that now define the Vancouver brand.

It's a brand often associated with dense urban living, livable neighbourhoods, vibrant streetscapes and easy access to green space. It's also celebrated -- and envied -- by cities around the world.

Just as Vancouver's built landscape changed, so, too, did the city's psychological landscape. After Expo, Vancouver no longer saw itself as a somewhat isolated resource and port town, blighted by ugly sawmills.

Almost overnight, it morphed into Canada's gateway to the emergent economic giants of the Pacific Rim.

In the years before Britain's 1997 handover of Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China, Vancouver attracted thousands of emigres, and hundreds of millions of dollars in investment.

Vancouver wasn't always regarded as a cool, urbane place to live. In the 1970s, when I first lived there, the False Creek and Granville Island neighbourhoods were ugly industrial zones.

By the time I returned in 1989, the Expo lands still sat empty, but the city was in the initial phase of a decade-long, post-Expo development explosion.

So what could an Expo '17 or an Expo '20 do for Edmonton? Could it accelerate development of the city's still-stunted LRT system, and push it to the outer 'burbs as well as the Edmonton International Airport? Could it lead to the redevelopment of the under-utilized but strategically located City Centre Airport lands?

Could it attract infrastructure dollars from the feds or the province, so Edmonton could finally clean up its main entrances, develop its own version of Granville Island in the centre of the river valley, and build a bridge to connect Gateway Boulevard to the downtown?

Just as importantly, could the transformational impact of Expo finally end the petty bickering that plagues Edmonton and its suburban neighbours, and focus the entire region on something bigger, nobler and grander?

The answer, in all cases, is yes. But don't take it from me. Take it from Larry Beasley, the widely respected Vancouver urban planner who played a huge role in creating the West Coast metropolis that exists today.

"Vancouver came of age through its World's Fair. It gave the city a kind of confidence it didn't have before, and set off a lot of the things that we've come to appreciate about the city," he says.

"It also brought in a lot of money from government and the private sector, and it brought the city to the attention of the rest of the world. I have almost nothing but positive things to say about it."

Beasley sees no reason why Edmonton couldn't pull off the same kind of world-class event, and achieve similar long-term benefits, provided it's well supported, properly planned and executed.

"Definitely. Now I'll say honestly, it's a little audacious for a small city to do. But hey, that's what these kinds of moves are about. They're about smart cities that do what is somewhat counter-intuitive."

Beasley says the city centre airport site would be an ideal location for a World's Fair, since it offers lots of opportunities to leverage future public infrastructure dollars and private redevelopment investment.

Locating such an event in the river valley would be a mistake, he argues, since it could "compromise" the city's crown jewel, while limiting opportunities for "legacy" infrastructure investment.

Beasley started as a neighbourhood planner in Vancouver in the 1970s. By the early 1990s, he was co-director of city planning, where he played a central role in transforming the city core into a model for urban redevelopment. In fact, it's now known globally as the "Vancouver model."

Beasley is now in demand worldwide, advising cities in the U.S., China and across the South Pacific on how to bring life back to their urban cores.

"I don't know Edmonton well, but what I do know of it is that the energy of a fair would be beneficial, provided it's well located and well conceived," he says. "It's always important that you do these things in a very thoughtful way."

glamphier@thejournal.canwest.com

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Just as importantly, could the transformational impact of Expo finally end the petty bickering that plagues Edmonton and its suburban neighbours, and focus the entire region on something bigger, nobler and grander?
Yes, please.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:11 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
Yes, please.

A World's Fair in Edmonton would mean many of these communities would be asking for their fair share of it, both in attractions and capital funding...and the bickering would continue.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:16 PM

Quote:
A World's Fair in Edmonton would mean many of these communities would be asking for their fair share of it, both in attractions and capital funding...and the bickering would continue.
I'm actually more interested in the "bigger, nobler, grander" bit. This potholes and interchanges and "good enough" fixation is boring.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:26 PM
Community Guy

^and quite prevalent in most cities...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:30 PM
Change is good

Quote:
ya, but the thing is, Edmonton could do the whole worlds fair thing on its own. Why would it have to share with it's neighbors save for leduc/airport?
You kind of lose that whole "autonomous" argument when you want to be part of the greater city. That's why I'm also not too bent out of shape trying to hook up st albert or sherwood park or leduc to the LRT

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:32 PM
Community Guy

^and there in lies the conundrum...

exclude them - more problems

include them - more issues

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 6:13 PM

Quote:
I would expect very little Bickering. As for attractions, It's easy to show that a worlds fair is a single venue event, and while cordinated events could happen at other venues throughout the region, neither elk island, rabbit hill, nor the valley zoo will be be upgraded for the fair itself, and all significant attractions in Metro edmonton/N Alberta can be included in 'what else to do' literature.

As for peripheral capital funding, I don't think that there is much that could be argued. Infrastructure funding will be directly related to the worlds fair, including an airport rail link, and LRT/road access to the site.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 12:04 AM
Still optimistic

I think Ottawa should (will) host the Expo17' for the reason of Canada's
100th anniversairy...
It would be cool if Edtown hosted the Expo20' right after!

(Since this compromise makes everyone happy, I will add an EXTRA smiley)
(yay.)

Last edited by Aylmer; Feb 20, 2008 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 1:23 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post
I think Ottawa should (will) host the Expo17' for the reason of Canada's
100th anniversairy...
It would be cool if Edtown hosted the Expo20' right after!

(Since this compromise makes everyone happy, I will add an EXTRA smiley)
(yay.)
100th Anniversary? Do you want to google that and edit it so you don't look too foolish? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't 1917...
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 20, 2008, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
100th Anniversary? Do you want to google that and edit it so you don't look too foolish? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't 1917...
Of course your post locks his from editing, forever sealing in the comedy gold like han solo in carbonite.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton