HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:58 PM

Of all buildings in Hali that would be the hottest. Last would be Fenwick. But WOW thats really going to liven up South Park Street

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:59 PM

Some people like Fenwick.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:39 PM

I forgot about that....how about the Grain Elevators?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 7:53 PM
we built this city

omg.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I forgot about that....how about the Grain Elevators?
Not so much.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:12 PM

Would love to see a giant mural painted on those elevator silos. Its one of the first things confronting visitors entering the harbour by sea (that and the worst possible angle of Maritime Centre; the southeast corner). A mural depicting the harbour historically would be cool..

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 11:16 AM
Salty Town

I fail to see why people dislike Fenwick so much. It has a tiered design, both in the vertical and horizontal planes. The top is distinguished from the the main building and it's the tallest in the city. There are dozens of buildings that are much worse than Fenwick...... Scotia Sq., Trade Mart, Pince George, Holiday Inn, Cogswell Tower, new apt. building near Mic Mac, King Edward tower in Fairview, Cowie Hill apts. (top of the Mountain) 5170? Spring Garden Rd. etc..........even the Paramount is a cheap looking building.

Is there anyone else who likes Fenwick?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 12:11 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Is there anyone else who likes Fenwick?
I don't want to jack this thread, so I started a Fenwick discussion thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...39#post3596739

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Some people like Fenwick.
New to this forum, but I've always loved Fenwick. Now of course everytime I look at it I have to picture it cleaned up, but its definatley my fav. tall building in Halifax.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:21 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The public hearing for this is tomorrow:

June 10, 2008 Halifax Regional Council - 6:00 p.m.

Public Hearing:

Case 01046 - MPS/LUB Amendments and Development Agreement, South Park Street and Brenton Place, Halifax. Detailed information and staff report...

---

I'm hoping people realize that this would have minimal impact on the nearby houses. It's definitely a good development for the area.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:58 AM

I was in the neighbourhood a few days ago driving towards South Park from Queen and i realized it would look better with a building there just to fill in that gap in the skyline. The area seems like somewheres that would be nice if it were surronded by highrises. All the houses are crammed together and its a very dense area its very urban. Putting highrises on the edge of this neighbourhood will allow it to still be peaceful and tightknit community while being close to everything, affordable and desirable to live in.

In my opinion its win-win situation for everyone. The residents get more shops, people and a better community without destroying the neighbourhood. And Halifax and SGR win by having more high-class shops, a "landmark" building, more people in the immediate area without losing the beauty of the district.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:57 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Three or four disgruntled people should not be setting the tone for the evolution of the downtown core of a metropolitan area with hundreds of thousands of inhabitants.
I really hope this project goes through, it is an absolutely stunning building and it would allow for more people to be in that area (I'd love to be down there lol)

I unfortunately wont be able to make it to the hearing tomorrow night as I am seeing a good friend off to Texas for good [another HRM resident lost because of the "this is a backwards city" line ]

If I were to make it though, I sure as hell would get up in front of council and tell them that quote from Someone (maybe a litter nicer...er..maybe not lol) Council needs to understand that they cant keep listening to the HAC because frankly they are ruining this city.

At some point we all need to go to city hall, band together for a little visit, and pass along that message from all of us, and of course, the rest of Haligonians For Development who are in favor of seeing this city grow and prosper and not stagnate and rot.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 12:34 PM

In the paper this morning:

Proposed South Park development obstructs view, critics say
JENNIFER TAPLIN, METRO HALIFAX
June 10, 2008 05:00

Friends of the Halifax Common are ready to fight for the view tonight.

At the city council meeting tonight they’ll be speaking out against a proposed 19-storey development on South Park they say goes against the Halifax Common Plan.

“They say from South Street all the way to the Citadel is a very important view because it’s like a grande allee in Paris. It’s the nature of the city that gives it definition,” said Peggy Cameron.

They say the building will cast shadows and direct winds towards Victoria Park and the Public Garden.

A vote from council tonight could make or break the development.

“Council ought not to (approve it) based on what the current regulations are, but they continue to make exceptions to their own regulations,” Cameron said.

“There’s not any vision on the part of council. It would be exciting though if they did turn it down.”

Cameron has no idea which way city council is leaning and neither does Downtown Coun. Dawn Sloane.

“Basically I’m waiting to hear from the public.”

She said she hasn’t yet made up her mind, but is aware there are strong opinions both for and against the development in her constituency.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 12:48 PM

So not only do we have the idiotic viewplanes from the Citadel to work around, we then learn there's viewplanes from Brightwood in Dartmouth, and now there's viewplane issues with the Halifax Common as well!? What the hell.

Do these people have anything to stand on? Are there actually protected views from the Common that are supposed to be protected? If not, then there is no reason why this development should be tossed.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 12:55 PM

Actually, upon further reflection on the location of the building, can anybody tell me just what views this development would be blocking? It's nowhere near the Common, and it isn't blocking any views from Victoria Park either...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 1:54 PM
Closed account

Article in the Herald - today.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1061157.html

Someone please go to the hearing and shout down these idiots who seem to come up with the most ridiculous excuses to oppose these things.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 4:27 PM
we built this city

Where is the Haligonians for Development Facebook group on this one??

If the admin of that group could send out the word, get people out to the meeting, it could change the decision.

The funniest thing is that there is currently no view from this site... well, properties that aren't overly well taken care of. The fact that Fares has made the concession to move the houses is great, what more could u want here. Those houses could fill in gaps around the city.

And comparing Halifax to Paris, thats a laugh. Have they ever been to Paris for an extended period of time? I've lived in europe, not sure about any of these chumps commenting, and european cities have a great mix of pro development and pro heritage because flexibility exists.

But hey, if all this continues, why not build "la defense" in Burnside, lol.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 5:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Well, whatever. They are grasping at straws and either want to mislead readers or don't know what they are talking about.

There is no four storey "height limit", nor are there viewplanes relating to this development. If South Park is a kind of "Grande-Allée", why wouldn't you want more major buildings on it, of the kind that already exist?

Wind and shadow are always vaguely mentioned but the fact is that the exact results of the wind and shadow studies are up on the HRM website. Usually new buildings are designed in consultation with engineers to ensure that they don't generate wind effects, which seem to be pretty easy to avoid at street level. It looks like that is what happened in this case since the model created was of the old design of the building. Of course, many people have totally misunderstood all of this at council (e.g. Gloria McCluskey).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 9:53 PM

Patrick Leroy For Mayor!

I'm watching the public hearing right now and Mr. Leroy is currently speaking and totally debunking the usual arguments from the naysayers. If you're a member here, thank you!

The negativity from these people is astounding. The previous guy argued that low-rise sprawl is better for the environment than a high rise. Ridiculous.

Bev Miller up next...

ETA: Miller made the usual "shocked and appalled" argument. She claims it is "out of scale" -- maybe she is arguing that it is too short compared to Park Vic? ;-)

She also rolled out the srgument of the John Heseltine report regarding Appeals in NS versus elsewhere. Someone should please get their hands on this and interpet it correctly.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 10:06 PM
Closed account

Someone just got up to argue that the development would block sunlight and one of their points was "for every one young person who leaves nova scotia for better opportunities, there are 10 who leave for better sunlight."

She looks confused and disheveled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth