HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
National anthem got butchered at the 4:42 mark of the video
Isn't that just the old anthem, they've changed the words a few times since then.

Wikipedia
In 1970 the Queen in Right of Canada purchased the right to the lyrics and music of "O Canada" from Gordon V. Thompson Music for $1. The song finally became the official national anthem in 1980 with the passage of the National Anthem Act. The act replaced two of the repetitions of the phrase "We stand on guard" in the English lyrics, as had been proposed by the Senate Special Joint Committee. This change was controversial with traditionalists and, for several years afterwards, it was not uncommon to hear people still singing the old lyrics at public events. In contrast, the French lyrics are unchanged from the original version.

In my humble opinion, the best version of O Canada came from the 88 Calgary Olympics, the first half, not so great, but then really kicks into a truly "glorious" second half.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 6:51 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Any recent news out of Halifax ?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 3:15 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Any recent news out of Halifax ?
LeBlanc gave an interview in Arizona a few weeks back saying they were down to three sites and wants the selection of the site done by the end of the month. City staff recommendation on the feasibility of a site has not been finished and will need to go to council for a vote once it is.

Ambrosie was on TSN1040 this morning and didn't have much for new info. Was cautious to put any sort of timeline on things and said it would be better to be patient and get things right rather than rushing things. Halifax group is touring THF in Hamilton today and Ambrosie recommended they tour IGF, as well.

Last edited by JHikka; Aug 22, 2018 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:53 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
National anthem got butchered at the 4:42 mark of the video... love seeing those old time videos tho!
Those were the correct words. The “from far and wide” and “God keep our land” wording was made up a couple of years later because people didn’t like the number of “stand on guards” in the original version.

I don’t remember it being particularly controversial except that “from far and wide” was awfully cliched for a national anthem. People sang it the old way because old habits die hard.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:52 PM

I had no idea the words were changed back then. I'm surprised the media didn't point that out when the Liberals tried (and ultimately succeeded) to change "in all thy son's command" to "in all of us command".

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I had no idea the words were changed back then. I'm surprised the media didn't point that out when the Liberals tried (and ultimately succeeded) to change "in all thy son's command" to "in all of us command".
I'm still waiting for them to change that one last line to complete the process of revisionism:

Our home on native land........

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:48 PM

I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet. Between the Reconciliation era and the ever increasing multiculturalism, that seems like the next logical step.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I'm surprised that hasn't happened yet. Between the Reconciliation era and the ever increasing multiculturalism, that seems like the next logical step.
I think the "home ON native land" thing is sarcastic or humourous in tone. No one really thinks that should be included in O Canada.

Last edited by Acajack; Aug 23, 2018 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:07 PM
arf

^Just wait. It's coming, although "home on indigenous land' is maybe a little more current.

O Canada, Your Home's on Native Land from First Nations in BC Knowledge Network

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think the "home ON native land" thing is sarcastic or humourous in tone. No one really think that should be included in O Canada.
Not saying I'm for or against it, but it seems like there could be an argument to make that change. A big chunk of the population wasn't born here, so "our home and native land" isn't always accurate.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Not saying I'm for or against it, but it seems like there could be an argument to make that change. A big chunk of the population wasn't born here, so "our home and native land" isn't always accurate.
Not that there won't be a change, but it won't be that change, I guarantee it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 6:07 PM
arf

"Our home until we decide the weather sucks and retire to Phoenix."

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 8:39 PM

Question for the Edmontonians. How does the Rossetti design fit into the Ice District? From what I know, he did the initial design and the City ultimately hired 360 for the final project. It does seem some of Rossetti's design did go into the final product, such as the arena's general shape and the way part of it crosses the street. Was he just hired for the initial concept, or was he let go because of creative differences of sort.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 9:23 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
How about “Our home and/or native land”?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 4:06 AM

Interesting read. When he Katz Group were negotiating the arena deal with the City of Edmonton, they brought up the fact that the last three of four privately funded NHL arenas failed (Molson Centre, Corel Centre, GM Place, with Air Canada being the lone success). The Molson's had to sell because they were losing money while the other two examples ended up in bankruptcy. Toronto was stated as too big to fail essentially.

Here's the 2 page document.

https://doniveson.ca/2010/07/24/aren...itch/#comments

What it fails to mention is that Kanata's Corel Centre failed because real estate development plans that were supposed to help fund the arena were blocked by the new provincial NDP government. That NDP also forced the owners of the Sens and Corel Centre to pay for the on and off ramps, which were promised by the previous Liberal government.

In the case of the Molson Centre, the owner decided to forgo naming rights revenue by slapping its own name on the building. The arena was also much more expensive than the others (with the possible exception of the ACC).

Worth mentioning that the ACC included an office tower from the beginning. MLSE later developed the area around the arena a few years after opening.

I don't know enough about Vancouver's situation to comment.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 11:21 PM

Strange time of the year and setting for an ELP "music video" Looks like a temporary setup in the background.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 11:38 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

ELP looks like Oasis.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:03 AM

It's misleading to link directly the arena to the failures of the ownership groups. The mid 90s were not kind to Canadian franchise owners as many were over leveraged, burning money on terrible conversion rates, getting smoked either by sluggish Canadian economy or from dancing in the tech bubble. None of the areas have lost value. You can argue that they all took bad risks going at it private but each arena had its own battles which were intertwined with thier respective ownership groups.

Ottawa's arena is the only one I'll call a true bust as it was a bad idea from the start to put it out in Kanata, no different than the Devil Rays who play in Tropicana which is in the absolute worst location in Tampa Bay, or the Coyotes who play in the wasteland of Glendale (just as bad to travel to for the local metro).

ACC has its own issues. The fact that it is a basketball arena that was shoe horned into a multi use arena will come back to haunt it during its major renovations in 5-10 years. The arena is tight and service wise is very limited. Thus, the ACC has limits to growth and it will hamper how diverse and the volume it can generate revenues as there is a limit to how many and what type of events it can cram into its calendar.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:21 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Question for the Edmontonians. How does the Rossetti design fit into the Ice District? From what I know, he did the initial design and the City ultimately hired 360 for the final project. It does seem some of Rossetti's design did go into the final product, such as the arena's general shape and the way part of it crosses the street. Was he just hired for the initial concept, or was he let go because of creative differences of sort.
Rossetti was the initial firm, but it was very much conceptual to get it into a deeper discussion and it had some folks saying that it 'was not good enough'... including a wonderful quote by yours truly. I should find that.

http://www.rossetti.com/work/project...nment-district

Shugarman was early on as well and then coordinatedHOK/360.

http://shugarmanarchitecture.com/our-work/rogers-place/

http://shugarmanarchitecture.com/our-work/ice-district/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

In my humble opinion, the best version of O Canada came from the 88 Calgary Olympics, the first half, not so great, but then really kicks into a truly "glorious" second half.

Video Link

That was painful, I was waiting for the better part and it kept getting worse and worse.

This is better.
Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada