HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 9:06 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I'm curious what the holdups been. I figured some of the pieces didn't fit right is my guess

Nice to see some increased activity at the Canopy Of Peace

[/QUOTE]

something definitely was wrong though.. what it was i dont know but im guessing there has been some in the field engineering going on... curious to know what it was/is

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 9:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Also I think its safe to say that the Odeon and Four Seasons are both full steam ahead on construction. Lots of activity on both sites and I follow one of the project architects for SMD insta and looks like they'll be driving a billion piles for the next 90 days or so at the Odeon. Four seasons looks like they're doing a bunch of demo work and site prep for pile driving the additions
lots of cranes in the sky right now:

7 tower cranes:
1. Canal Crossing
2. Hard Rock
3. hard Rock
4. Residence INN
5. Higgins Hotel
6. The Julia
7. Canopy Of Peace

Soon to join:
8. The Odeon
9. Four Seasons Maybe ( not sure if they will use one or not for the pool and banquet extension
10. 2424 Tulane
11. Virgin Hotel

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 12:27 AM

MSY North Terminal...August 21, 2018

Sorry for the large photos...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 1:17 AM
-

Awesome photos thanks !

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:14 AM
-

1000 Poland Ave·HDLC COA · Ref Code: CNLHQ5
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Christian Westerman
Draft Application
Date Filed:
8/22/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Renovation of historic single story structure into multi-family apartment with four units. Structure is located in an HDLC District and scope of renovation addresses items noted in citations 18-0656-DBNNO and 18-03202-MPM. Exterior renovation consists of repairs and restoration of existing elements, with conversion of sliding barn doors to swing as indicated and one new window in existing opening. Four apartments to be built within existing shell with site work as indicated on drawings. Submitted drawings are for HDLC review only. Full permit drawings to be submitted for building permit at later date.

djsnola

336 Camp St·HDLC COA · Ref Code: ANZVBF
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
John C. Williams
Draft Application
Date Filed:
8/22/2018
Closed:
No
Description
RENOVATION OF EXISTING FOUR STORY BUILDING FROM OFFICE BUILDING WITH GROUND FLOOR COMMERCIAL TENANTS TO MULTIFAMILY WITH GROUND FLOOR COMMERCIAL TENANTS.

1031 Annunciation St·HDLC COA · Ref Code: 4356H1
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Edr Architects
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
8/21/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Renovate existing warehouse building and construct new, 115,000 SF, 6-story addition at rear, vacant lot

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 3:38 PM

So excited to finally see development at 1031 Annunciation. I lived around the corner from it for about 4 years and hated walking by and seeing it undeveloped. The owners of Chophouse restaurant originally intended on building it there, but decided against it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:25 PM

Why would they not go LED on the interior lights?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 4:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsrand View Post
Why would they not go LED on the interior lights?
not sure that they havent...leds come in all varieties these days

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 10:37 PM
-

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 6:00 PM
TL;DR

I like the concept for State Palace but ick, that facade. The parametric windows just don't look good when they are so narrow, it has too much of a prison feel to it.

But also: why privilege certain hotel rooms with wider windows and more light, while other ones get stuck with narrow slits? Is there a business case for doing that, or is it just the architects trying to be cool? The precedent they showed in the slideshow is an academic/labs building; study spaces need a lot of light, labs not as much and lecture halls none, so the architects could play off of that to create a pattern for the windows. In hotels, every room has basically the same need for natural light and views.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I like the concept for State Palace but ick, that facade. The parametric windows just don't look good when they are so narrow, it has too much of a prison feel to it.

But also: why privilege certain hotel rooms with wider windows and more light, while other ones get stuck with narrow slits? Is there a business case for doing that, or is it just the architects trying to be cool? The precedent they showed in the slideshow is an academic/labs building; study spaces need a lot of light, labs not as much and lecture halls none, so the architects could play off of that to create a pattern for the windows. In hotels, every room has basically the same need for natural light and views.
Maybe they're going for something sort of neutral-looking and monolithic to make the preserved theater portion pop out more? I'm not sure. I'd honestly prefer this over some cheap faux-historic facade, which seems to be the only other option. Besides spending the money on actual quality historic materials to match the theater, which I doubt would happen because of the high costs.

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 6:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

its hard to say but i think the focus right now is on the massing and the approvals of that... facade details later... obviously having the existing theatre underneath it would seem to call for a tower thats quite different looking on top so it doesnt clash.. something that as poster above says allows the theatre to shine and pop

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 6:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxx611 View Post
Maybe they're going for something sort of neutral-looking and monolithic to make the preserved theater portion pop out more? I'm not sure. I'd honestly prefer this over some cheap faux-historic facade, which seems to be the only other option. Besides spending the money on actual quality historic materials to match the theater, which I doubt would happen because of the high costs.
Huh? Who said it needed to look historic? I was critiquing this particular approach for this particular building type.

Even in NOLA, there are plenty of great modern highrise buildings. Ace Hotel, 864 S. Peters, The Standard, etc. Going further back, One Shell Square, Oil & Gas Building, Plaza Tower, etc.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 6:46 PM

Let's face it, those narrow windows are horrendous.

It reminds me of what I once read about monarchy, which is super scary. The monarchist authorities went up to make people pay taxes for their doors and windows.
Can you imagine? Paying taxes for the right to an entrance and light in your home...
It's so fucking stupid, unbelievable. Whatever, we're a Republic based on legit meritocracy and fairness now, not disgusting monarchy.

Over here, they justify their narrow windows (not nearly as narrow as those, though) by environmental regulations, but it's only their lack of mastery in contextual architecture, and their nasty greediness, really.

Better materials, were they more expensive and a mere sense of orientation could easily fix this problem.

Do not accept the concept of those narrow windows, ever. We all need a minimum amount of light, right?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Do not accept the concept of those narrow windows, ever. We all need a minimum amount of light, right?
Well first of all, I don't think lack of sunlight is a problem here for anyone. Secondly it's a hotel, so most people won't even be in the room most of the time. I stay in hotels for work frequently and almost never have the shades drawn. Thirdly there are real environmental consequences of large windows in a city where buildings are air conditioned almost year-round.

That being said I agree about the design, I prefer a classic even grid, something like the Standard perhaps.

My biggest question is how would the city ensure that the theater is redeveloped properly and in a timely fashion. One could imagine a situation where the developers get their approvals, build the hotel and leave the theater to rot away. They clearly don't care what happens to it given they original wanted to demolish the whole thing. If that could be cleared up, then I'm all for it.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 7:34 PM

Try some flexible Arab/French tricks to alter the crushing effect of the sun in your region.

Like brise-soleil. It can be ultra sophisticated and high tech today. I mentioned it several times on here. It's both effective and stylish.

A building, even a hotel still has to look welcoming, though.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 2:11 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Well first of all, I don't think lack of sunlight is a problem here for anyone. Secondly it's a hotel, so most people won't even be in the room most of the time. I stay in hotels for work frequently and almost never have the shades drawn. Thirdly there are real environmental consequences of large windows in a city where buildings are air conditioned almost year-round.

That being said I agree about the design, I prefer a classic even grid, something like the Standard perhaps.

My biggest question is how would the city ensure that the theater is redeveloped properly and in a timely fashion. One could imagine a situation where the developers get their approvals, build the hotel and leave the theater to rot away. They clearly don't care what happens to it given they original wanted to demolish the whole thing. If that could be cleared up, then I'm all for it.
Good question .. i think economically it wouldn't make sense for them not to rehab the thing, but as far as i know when the hdlc approves something thats what has to be built in totality. So if theatre is in permitted plans then it has to be rehabbed as well

Old Posted Aug 26, 2018, 5:29 PM
-

2223 Magazine St·NPP Notifications · Project #18-1354 · Ref Code: LN2BK3
Download (7) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
NPP Notifications
Applicant:
Anthony D Irpino
NPP Generated
Date Filed:
8/14/2018
Closed:
No
Description
A conditional use to permit a commercial establishment over 5,000 square feet in area in an HU-B1 District in accordance with Article 12.2.B.1 of the Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance

tonysbaloney started following you

djsnola
336 Decatur St·New Construction · Ref Code: 771EMV
Type:
New Construction
Applicant:
Jordan Gargas
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
8/24/2018
Closed:
No
Description
The project is a new three story shell space. Future tenant and interior build-out to be determined at a later date and permitted separately

1600 Magazine

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 9:44 PM

Agam Tower

New 7-story luxury condo tower to be built on the lakefront at West End, 11 units at $950k to $3m: https://www.nola.com/expo/news/erry-...004/index.html

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 4:54 PM
-

519 St Claude Ave·HDLC COA · Ref Code: WATCLB
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Laura M Campbell
Draft Application
Date Filed:
8/27/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Establishing the use as an outside theater.

djsnola
3125 St Claude Ave Ste 3·Attached Sign · Ref Code: GAJB3Z
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Attached Sign
Applicant:
Ahmed Salem
Draft Application
Date Filed:
8/23/2018
Closed:
No
Description
Sign for “CITY DONUTS CAFE”

Take a First Look Inside Copper Vine, the Wine Tavern the New Orleans CBD Deserves

https://nola.eater.com/2018/8/27/177...w-orleans-nola

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations