HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 9:06 PM
BANNED

The architect of the LDS Church Office Building must have had the "mine is bigger than yours" mentality, since it's even shaped like a cock and balls.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I am so conflicted with this project. I like the idea of the towers being different heights, I think it would give it a little more character and dimension than three identical heights.

With the state of the Utah and Wastach Front economy I would like to see this project come about, less the theater of course . If this or the Gehry project eclipse SLC for the tallest I think it will be only a matter of a couple of years before DT SLC once again has the tallest. It will be some business owner or developer (what I hope to be really soon) that LOVES SLC and will figure out a way to build one that is even taller. It won't the typical battle of ego's like two banks in the same city saying "Mine is bigger than yours" but rather the one city (SLC), saying to Lehi or Sandy. "How dare you even have the thought that yours is bigger than mine". I honestly see DT SLC breaking the 35 story mark in the next 10 years possibly even the 40.

I agree Future Mayor big time. I have felt for some time that the Gehry project or even perhaps the Sandy project will give downtown leaders a bit of the competitive bug. I remember well when one of the city council exclaimed in so many words, that she had felt that 222 south main should be a little more creative. Hamilton responded that it was more than good enough for Salt Lake City. While I like the 222 project, that remark has always left me a bit offended. I would like to see the Gehry project kick butt in a few of the right places, meaning certain egos.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 9:31 PM

These developers certainly know more than I do about current market conditions and proposed absorbtion rates so I do not question whether or not they can fill those towers. I'm just a planner not a developer.

I do agree that having competition in life is a great thing. It reminded me a bit of LA. I visited LA very recently and downtown LA is finally full of activity and life. There is a night life and lots of residents. There are new towers and projects developing all over. This is something you don't see in their suburbs as much as you did the 1970's and 80's.

LA has created an environment that is pro development and has been granting much higher densities. Maybe SLC needs to follow suit. This doesn't mean that the city abandons its principles of good urban design, what it does is reinforce those principles by rewarding developers for following suit. That creates a win-win situation. Higher density generally equates to greater heighth and then we have some decent downtown growth. That should make us all happy.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 3:56 AM

Betting on Gehry

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I agree Future Mayor big time. I have felt for some time that the Gehry project or even perhaps the Sandy project will give downtown leaders a bit of the competitive bug. I remember well when one of the city council exclaimed in so many words, that she had felt that 222 south main should be a little more creative. Hamilton responded that it was more than good enough for Salt Lake City. While I like the 222 project, that remark has always left me a bit offended. I would like to see the Gehry project kick butt in a few of the right places, meaning certain egos.
Delts: As more time passes and I learn more and more about the potential impact the Gehry_Lehi project could have on the whole state, the more anxious I become to see the renderings of the project...No, forget the renderings. I want to see the project built...even if it is in Lehi, which I used to consider the first town you meet in the foreign country directly south of Salt Lake. The positive impact of the Gehry project on the whole region could be impressive, possibly giving pause to the Hamilton Partners people before they make smug remarks about areas outside of Chicago. I don't want to get my hopes too high. Come on Frank!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 4:38 PM

Greek maker of wireless ISP equipment brings U.S. operations to Draper
By Debbi Olson
The Enterprise

A Greek manufacturer of outdoor wireless networking equipment for the wireless ISP market has opened its first U.S. operations in Draper.

E-zy.net's presence in the U.S. market currently consists of a warehouse and manufacturing facility located at 693 Draper Heights Way and is under the direction of Scott Parsons as chief operating officer.

The company opened in Draper primarily because of Parsons, founder and former owner of Pacific Wireless.

"E-zy.net was one of our customers when we were manufacturing and designing microwave antennas," Parsons said. "They wanted to bring their products to the U.S. and I had just sold my company so I was available to do something. So that's how it ended up here in Utah."

While the company currently has several customers in the United States, its new facilities in Draper will allow it to serve its growing customer base west of the Mississippi River.

"This latest manufacturing and distribution center will allow us to better serve our customers throughout the United States," said Dimitrios Sidiropoulos, chief executive officer of E-zy.net. "The Salt Lake City location is a great centrally located and low cost location with rapid shipping capabilities to the western and central states."

Since February, Parsons and his staff have been working with their Greek counterparts in research and development of new products that will be introduced to the U.S. market in August. At that time the company is planning to add a sales department to the Draper office and begin assembly-line manufacturing.

"We're a small business in a niche market," Parsons said. "By the end of the year we'll have about eight to 10 employees. We expect to grow to about 20 employees and expect to move to a larger location by the end of the year."

Parson's said that Sidiropoulos sought him out to run the U.S. operations because of his knowledge and contacts within the industry, and his success with his Pacific Wireless business.

"After you start up one company it's been easier to do another one," Parsons said. "E-zy.net has been around for about five or six years in Greece, mostly selling into the Middle East, Europe and Africa areas. The CEO has wanted to do business in the U.S. for a long time but he didn't have any way to get it going. I am facilitating that for him."

All of the products manufactured in the Draper facility will be distributed throughout the United States, primarily in California, Colorado, Texas and Arizona. E-zy.net designs and manufactures both short and long range high speed wireless communications products. The company's indoor and outdoor WLAN products are standard-based to insure interoperability. The company also develops customized wireless products to meet specific OEM customer requirements.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 9:19 PM

Speaking of Draper, for those of you that haven't checked out the new Harmons yet at Bangerter Crossing, take a few minutes and run by if your in the area. I was very impressed. It was like a hybrid cross between Gelson's in L.A.,(high-end grocery store in the Century City Center,) crossed with a large Whole Foods market, again in a tony Hollywood/L.A. location. Hopefully, they'll be following much of the same pattern with their new downtown SLC location.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:38 PM

The Junction @ Midvale

This is probably the largest TOD under construction right now.
It's located between 7200 So. and 8000 So. from 700 west to the Jordan River. It's being developed By Wasatch Residential (same as Wasatch Prpoerties). The first phase is scheduled to be completed in early 2009. Phase one has 390 residential units. Total residential for the entire project is 1200 units.
It also has loads of retail and office space all centered around the new Bingham Junction light rail station. I dont have any pics but the first 5 buildings are under construction. I've been working on this for a while sorry I couldn't tell you guys about it until now.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 11:23 PM

We talked about this ages ago, but no one has brought it up for a long time now. This has me also wondering about the reclamation site (Bingham Junction) Give us some more insights SLCdave, if you can. How do Bingham Junction and the Junction at Midvale relate? Are they both part of the same cleanup site?

Junction at Midvale

Architectural Design

The majority of historical referenced and eclectic architectural buildings of The Junction are oriented along central boulevards with key intersections containing a high level of activity and detail. The commercial, office and retail centers of the development will designed to create a walk-able retail experience, varied storefronts and elevations reference new urbanism with a main street appeal, at the pedestrian scale. Exterior finishes for the buildings in the Commercial/Business District, for example, are to be finished with the following materials, colors as selected from the enclosed color palette:

Brick
Trenwyth Prairie Stone (used predominantly at the Base)
EIFS - (used predominantly on the Upper Stories)
Standing Seam Metal at Roof overbuilds and Canopies
Fiberglass/Metal panel
Glass/Alum. Storefront
Metal frame shading devices (shop-applied paint finish)

The Junction at Midvale also seeks to achieve excellence in the design and implementation of site landscaping. The guidelines describe minimal acceptable standards for site development. Guidelines have been prepared for the three private districts and public rights-of-way within The Junction at Midvale. It is required that landscape plans include the use of plant species that are drought tolerant. Xeriscape principles are to be used in plant selection to create a sustainable landscape that promotes water conservation

Bingham Junction

Midvale, Utah,

Stantec was retained by a developer to provide environmental and engineering services to assist in the development of a transit-oriented development (TOD) land use plan and feasibility analysis for this 221-acre Superfund Site formerly occupied by a mining processing plant. Stantec completed a master plan and feasibility study and created Design Guidelines to a guide the developer in optimizing potential land users, and provide a road map to achieve a final design.

The Bingham Junction project will orient a mix of parks and trails, residential, retail, office, and research park uses around the proposed Mid-Jordan Light Rail Transit (LRT) Line and Station. The master plan and feasibility study will guide the developer in optimizing potential land uses and provide a road map to achieve a final design.

Stantec is assisting the client to gain LEED Certification for the office buildings within the first phase of this project. Stantec is preparing engineering, landscape and irrigation construction documents. This area will be xeriscaped throughout; the design includes low maintenance plants and a centralized climate-based control system. The majority of the irrigation will be drip, which will reduce water use 50% based upon conventional irrigation and conventional landscape. Limited turf areas will have drainage liners placed beneath to convey any runoff to the storm drainage system to prevent infiltration through contaminated substrata.

Over 40 acres have been dedicated as open space and are planned to include a trail system, a boardwalk in a wetland area, and thematic elements throughout.

Site, Bingham Junction

Last edited by delts145; Jun 26, 2008 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 11:51 PM

Looks like a pretty big undertaking. Just found the website: http://junction.gardneradvantage.com/ourTeam.cfm

It's gonna have a lot more residential units than some of the other TODs.

Just comparing with Market Station; 600-700 residential units, 160,000 sq ft retail, 250,000 sq ft class A office space and $500 million budget; do you know how this will stack up? Looks like it'll be 2,000 residential units but how many sq ft of retail/office? Any idea what their budget is?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
We talked about this ages ago, but no one has brought it up for a long time now. This has me also wondering about the reclamation site (Bingham Junction) just south of downtown and Center in Midvale. Give us some more insights SLCdave, if you can.

Architectural Design

The majority of historical referenced and eclectic architectural buildings of The Junction are oriented along central boulevards with key intersections containing a high level of activity and detail. The commercial, office and retail centers of the development will designed to create a walk-able retail experience, varied storefronts and elevations reference new urbanism with a main street appeal, at the pedestrian scale. Exterior finishes for the buildings in the Commercial/Business District, for example, are to be finished with the following materials, colors as selected from the enclosed color palette:

Brick
Trenwyth Prairie Stone (used predominantly at the Base)
EIFS - (used predominantly on the Upper Stories)
Standing Seam Metal at Roof overbuilds and Canopies
Fiberglass/Metal panel
Glass/Alum. Storefront
Metal frame shading devices (shop-applied paint finish)

The Junction at Midvale also seeks to achieve excellence in the design and implementation of site landscaping. The guidelines describe minimal acceptable standards for site development. Guidelines have been prepared for the three private districts and public rights-of-way within The Junction at Midvale. It is required that landscape plans include the use of plant species that are drought tolerant. Xeriscape principles are to be used in plant selection to create a sustainable landscape that promotes water conservation
The reclamation area you are talking about is where they are building right now. Rough address is 850 west 7800 so. The residential buildings are 3 stories tall and they are being built on the reclamation site. In total there will be 50 residential buildings with anywhere from 20-30 (all 3 stories) units per building. They are very high end condos. Lots of stone and hardie board siding.
Right now because of the market they are planning on renting them out, but Delloy said the decision can be made overnight to market them as condos. As I said the whole area is Called The Junction ( or Bingham Junction) and the website referenced by leerjet is one component. I have not seen plans for the retail and office, but I have seen the project plat map that shows them.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 12:12 AM

Thanks for calling this to our attention SLCdave. This is one very exciting project that we just kind of lost track of. Midvale/Gardner and whoever else, hasn't hyped this development for a couple of years now. I'm especially intrigued by what sounds like a very cool style and quality of vintage architectural design.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 12:17 AM

Thanks SLCdave, definitely keep us posted.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 12:22 AM

The developer who hired Stantec to do the civil is Wasatch and they are the main developer for the entire site. They are sub contracting sections to others to get it done faster. We should see alot of movement there in the next 2 years.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 6:02 AM
Bring out the cranes...

There is something that is getting develop right now just north of 7200 South. Not sure if that's part of the over all Junction project. But there are a few buildings there that look to be townhouse and apartments. Those have been there for about a year now.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Draper, for those of you that haven't checked out the new Harmons yet at Bangerter Crossing, take a few minutes and run by if your in the area. I was very impressed. It was like a hybrid cross between Gelson's in L.A.,(high-end grocery store in the Century City Center,) crossed with a large Whole Foods market, again in a tony Hollywood/L.A. location. Hopefully, they'll be following much of the same pattern with their new downtown SLC location.
Just another observation on the new Harmon's at Bangerter's Crossing. This store represents a definite new trend for the Wasatch Front. Frankly, I think it even one-ups many of the newest and nicer markets in So. Cal. that I frequent. It's also pretty obvious that Harmon's is throwing down the gauntlet in regard to the forthcoming entrance of Whole Foods into the Wasatch Market. You will also understand a reason for perhaps why the new downtown location opted out of additional floors above it's store on the Social Hall Block. Check it out!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 2:18 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I remember growing up and occasionally my mom would go to the Old Harmons in Fort Union, where Smiths is now and it always seemed a lot lower end than the Dans that she normally went too. I too have noticed recenlty that Harmons has really started to step it up, they along with Dans and Maceys are the only "locally" owned stores anymore. I think as the Wasatch has matured and diversified Harmons has probably decided to go for the higher end niche of the market, I think alot of times it is that market segment that appreciates the locally owned businesses and if they are providing a higher end product or atmosphere they are more than willing to support it. Good move for Harmons. I have always felt that of the various grocery stores chains along the Wasatch that Harmons was the best fit for the CBD.

I'm not sure Delts how this comment relates "You will also understand a reason for perhaps why the new downtown location opted out of additional floors above it's store on the Social Hall Block". Why would Harmons throwing down the gauntlet regarding Whole Foods make them not want additional floors above the DT location? Maybe I'm not following the logic. I would think that to create an even more urban, chic atmosphere they would want to be part of a more mixed use building.

Bingham Junction

I really like the reuse of a former brownfield site rather than a new swatch of greenfield for this project. This really is developing responsibly. I have also always thought that Historic Main St in Midvale had a TON of character. It has gone through it's phases of being really popular and having it's hard times as well, (currently). I think this development could really help Main St. revitalize. Yes the amenities that a mixed use center provide are great, but it seems that despite the new factor and the attempt to recreate Main Streets of days gone by, that the historic places still hold some allure to people.

I remember several years ago maybe 6-10, there was a proposal for a microbrewery on historic Midvale Main St, and the city did not approve the zoning to allow it, they didn't feel it was the right atmosphere for their city, I think that was the nail in the coffin of the street at that time. (apparently they thought that decaying and abandoned was a more appropriate atmosphere)

Bingham Junction being so close, with potentially a few thousand residents, and being a transit oriented development, this mix of demographics would be prime to transform Main St back into something exciting and vibrant. A place for clubs, restaurants, eclectic shops, maybe even a comedy club again. Hopefully Mecham doesn't own the buildings so that as soon as it become vibrant he rips it down.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I'm not sure Delts how this comment relates "You will also understand a reason for perhaps why the new downtown location opted out of additional floors above it's store on the Social Hall Block". Why would Harmons throwing down the gauntlet regarding Whole Foods make them not want additional floors above the DT location? Maybe I'm not following the logic. I would think that to create an even more urban, chic atmosphere they would want to be part of a more mixed use building.
I edited that portion above with a dozen or so added words, so reread it and hopefully it will make more sense. Basically, the height of the new Harmon's interior would be a much larger cost outlay than a much lower ceiling. When you consider that Cowboy Partner's is the developer, then you just have to hold your breath on whatever is being developed. Though, I do think the Harmon Brothers themselves have insisted that their downtown location will be very chic inside. The Harmon Brother's concept of what type of atmosphere should be an attractive and competitive alternative to Whole Foods, and what 'el cheapo Cowboy Partners' would be willing to contribute above Harmons, were probably two different planets.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 4:01 PM
BANNED

I've always thought there little main street has so much potential! I hope this development will give it more lifeblood! If you get the chance, visit the little museum on Main Street. Its free!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 5:20 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Maybe I'll have to start exploring some development opportunities along Main in Midvale.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 7:31 PM

Both Main and West Center (close-in toward Main) I think will present some great opportunities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West