HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:40 PM
Laura Palmer

News Articles

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:55 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
I think CT should actually implement JOLT it would make some people think twice....

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I think CT should actually implement JOLT it would make some people think twice....
I think they should add micro pepper spray dispensers above the doors facing outwards. They give a little blast when the doors open so people can unload before morons try to push their way onto the train.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:37 PM
BANNED

NY's supertall boom continues, this SUPER slim tower caught my eye - wow!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Perchwell...414912/photo/1

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:19 PM

I was just talking to some people about Branton Junior High School that had a track underneath it called the earthworm. The only info I could find was the wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branton...or_High_School
Quote:
The school is famous for its "earthworm," an indoor track facility built by removing earthfill in the crawl spaces below the main building. The initiative was begun in 1960 with the leadership of R.B. Wilberg, physical education instructor and E.M. Borgal, the principal. The area is no longer used (because of poor air quality), as it once was, to train track teams during the winter months.
I was really hopping to find some pictures of it. Anyone heard of this, or have pictures? Our accountant went to the school and was describing it, sounded like a pretty unique thing.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 4:38 PM

Western Canada had different underground rooms for archery and a shoot range, while Elboya had a massive underground room only used for wrestling.

So I wouldn't be surprised. Elboya was of the same era and has a really tall basement.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 3:37 PM
Aviary Masticator

Surprised no one around here is talking about the playoffs.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 3:46 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

You go over to CalgaryPuck to get your dose of hockey.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 6:17 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
Surprised no one around here is talking about the playoffs.
Hitmen and Tigers series is tied at 1 game each. Next game is tonight at the Dome, 7pm puck drop.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 3:03 PM
Aviary Masticator

Never thought I'd see an NDP majority. Thought it was going to be a minority with the WR.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 4:49 PM

I'm thinking that with Notley, Nenshi and Iveson working together now, we will see the big city charters legislation come forward a lot more smoothly.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 6:57 PM

A/C repair/install

Does anybody have a good recommendation for a company to do an A/C repair or install for a condo unit? I either need to fix or replace my split A/C unit and have had a terrible recent experience with another to-remain-unnamed company that has top reviews on HomeStars - I'm out $700 and nothing has been fixed. Our unit gets incredibly hot - giant east facing windows and an old brick/concrete exterior - so unfortunately we can't really go without A/C.

On that note, what recourse (if any) does one have against companies doing terrible work and then not standing behind their "guarantees"?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 9:34 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_runner View Post
Does anybody have a good recommendation for a company to do an A/C repair or install for a condo unit? I either need to fix or replace my split A/C unit and have had a terrible recent experience with another to-remain-unnamed company that has top reviews on HomeStars - I'm out $700 and nothing has been fixed. Our unit gets incredibly hot - giant east facing windows and an old brick/concrete exterior - so unfortunately we can't really go without A/C.

On that note, what recourse (if any) does one have against companies doing terrible work and then not standing behind their "guarantees"?
Better Business Bureau?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 2:59 PM

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/07/23...ronment-canada

Woe to ye who dareth enter the Calgary Sun comments section...
Quote:
Sleepy • 3 hours ago:

The thought of a tornado ripping up Calgary was a welcome blessing compared to the damage Nenshi has done to Calgary. The bike lane system has been the worst disaster to ever have hit Calgary and the floods, a tornado or anything that could wash away his mess would be a preferable.

Jesse Poland Sleepy • 3 hours ago

As a bike rider, I love these bike lanes. Beats idiot drivers who prefer to text or talk on their phones and don't pay attention to the cyclists on the roads.

Perhaps take a minute and look at the stats rather than the small inconvenience that is for other peoples safety.

Debbie Graupner Jesse Poland • 28 minutes ago

What about the rude cyclists that seem to ride any where they darn well please? I think they need to be licensed to ride anywhere in our city, so that these elitist bikers can pay for the infrastructure, and to pay for tickets for running lights, speeding through lights, and basically not obeying the rules of the road at their pleasure. And mostly for the high cost of giving you a free ride on the tax payers dime.
The problem with our world is it is so full of stupid.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 10:30 PM
Fake News

Wow. Just wow. I'm amazed they don't blame Nenshi for the Tornado while they're at it. How much do you want to bet they don't even live inside the city.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
and to pay for tickets for running lights, speeding through lights,
That has to be my favourite. I can just imagine the elitist bikers that have the leg power to trip a speed-on-green camera.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 2:26 AM
Near Generational

I'm mildly annoyed at cyclists that go through red lights. You are picking on bad wording, but missing a portion of the issue they are speaking to. That is, if cyclists want to be treated as vehicles, they should act like them.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm mildly annoyed at cyclists that go through red lights. You are picking on bad wording, but missing a portion of the issue they are speaking to. That is, if cyclists want to be treated as vehicles, they should act like them.
I've never heard of a cyclist speeding through a red light causing a fatality other than themselves. As opposed to all the cars that do it that actually cause damage.

While cyclists should observe the rules of the road, there should be some concept of relationship between the damage you can potentially cause and the responsibility and accountability for your actions. It's also technically illegal to drive 1 KPH over the speed limit, but the damage potential for doing so is much reduced so no one cares.

Many drivers have this odd "if I can't do it no one should" attitude when observing other vehicles on the road. Be as safe as possible and don't enter a insane road rage fit just because someone else does something else.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 4:04 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Definitely the potential damage caused by a cyclist running a red light is far smaller than a motorist (other than the life altering mental trauma of a motorist who kills a cyclist who ran a red of course). But I think cyclists should not get a free pass to constantly be ignoring rules so that no one has any idea what their next move is. Of course that's not all cyclists, but many, and I've had some discussions with biking advocates on twitter who basically talk like its their god given right to ignore all traffic safety rules, in between demanding more bike lines of course.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 4:07 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

The east-west light at 8th avenue and Edmonton trail is the worst (as a cyclist or pedestrian). Doesn't matter if you hit the crossing button or not, prepare to wait FOREVER to cross. The sensors in the road also don't seem to pick up a bike waiting over them.

When I'm riding to work at 6am more often than not I stop, look both ways and go across Edmonton trail on the red if it is clear. I've also watched many a pedestrian do the same thing too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation