HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 6:12 AM

Is the expected bridge going to be at Taylor Street or Polk Street? On the eastern side, Polk make more sense. Anyway, no mention of it in this 100-page document, so apparently it's down the priorities list.

Also, whatever happened to the Central Avenue bypass over the Belt Railway, the mother of all (recent) flyovers?

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 6:28 AM

The CDOT document also has several pages on freight movement, including CREATE initiatives. I wonder if Rahm can leverage his political capital and push Davis/Rush/Jackson to stop roadblocking the Englewood Flyover, or broker some changes to the hiring, or something. He's probably been in the trenches alongside these guys in past years/decades and can prevail upon them, you'd hope, since CREATE is obviously important to his initiatives.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 7:03 AM

Don't know if it was mentioned anywhere, but the Loop Wabash/Washington station construction is to occur by 2014, per the 100-page CDOT "Chicago Forward" / "Action Agenda" released recently. Same timetable for Cermak/McCormick.

http://www.scribd.com/ChicagoDOT

P.S. Mr Downtown, who loves to respond to rail-lust comments with bus-lust, will probably enjoy seeing the pie chart on page 47. Others will just admire the photo to its right.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 8:20 AM
TL;DR

The Central Area Plan calls for bridges at Taylor and Polk, but the Taylor one is viewed as a higher priority probably because it extends over the Dan Ryan to become an important street in its own right, only disintegrating after Western. It could also be a handy reliever for Roosevelt Road, which is sure to become congested once Roosevelt Collection really gets going, and it has bike lanes through Little Italy that are an ideal candidate to be extended through UIC and into the South Loop.

Polk exists in numerous, discontinuous segments and is not a major artery. On the other hand, it does continue east of Clark and the distance from the USPS gate to Wells is 1/3 the distance they would need to build along Taylor - i.e. the Polk bridge would be far cheaper, although there might be thorny political issues dealing with USPS and River City.

The Central Avenue project is actually planned to be an underpass, a half-mile trench. IDOT used to have a video on their website, it might still be up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I wonder if Rahm can leverage his political capital and push Davis/Rush/Jackson to stop roadblocking the Englewood Flyover, or broker some changes to the hiring, or something.
I'm sure Rahm can find support from the president if it really boils down to that. Davis, Rush, and Jackson are all seriously enthralled by BHO to the point where Jr. held arguments with Halvorson over who supported the president's agenda more.

Last edited by ardecila; May 12, 2012 at 8:35 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 4:14 PM

Chicago subway station walls turned into virtual grocery store shelves

May 10 2012

By Lesley Ciarula Taylor

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...e-shelves?bn=1

Quote:
An online grocery store has turned the walls of a transit station in Chicago into a virtual grocery store. “People spend up to an hour commuting each day,” Peapod LLC spokeswoman Elana Margolis told the Star. “What a great time to get your shopping done.”

The 18-metre long and two-metre high walls of the State/Lake station downtown, a hub for all of Chicago’s L lines, have been lined with posters that look like grocery store shelves and are embedded with UPC codes for 70 products. Customers can download a free app on the spot and then scan the codes with their smartphones to order groceries.

“Toilet paper, ready-to-eat meals, produce, bread, milk, pasta. There’s a wide variety,” Margolis said. “You can have it the next day if you want.” The State/Lake station “is well-travelled. It appeals to our demographic,” of busy people, she said. Chicago Transit Authority estimates 17,640 commuters use that station each weekday. The company, the largest Internet grocer in the U.S., was founded in 1989 in Evanston, Ill., and is now owned by Royal Ahold of the Netherlands.

Video Link

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:00 PM

Is there any word on when Train Tracker will finally get out of beta, and the LEDs will be rolled out to all stations? It all seems very piecemeal right now.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:17 PM

Chicago Aims for Zero Traffic Deaths by 2022

May 14, 2012

By Angie Schmitt

Read More: http://dc.streetsblog.org/2012/05/14...eaths-by-2022/

PDF Report: http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...tionAgenda.pdf

Quote:

Published last week, the “Chicago Forward Action Agenda” places a very strong emphasis on safety, in addition to setting admirable cycling ridership targets and goals for transit investment.

- In his introduction, Emanuel makes it clear that it’s a new day at Chicago DOT: ”Where we once built expressways that divided our communities, we are now reconnecting neighborhoods with new bus lanes and extensive and expanding bicycle facilities that offer safe, green, and fit ways to travel for all ages.”

- To achieve the safety targets, the plan makes a commitment to address problem intersections, calling for the city to “analyze all fatal crashes involving pedestrian and cyclists” and improve the city’s top 10 traffic collision locations annually. The city’s ability to install speed enforcement cameras — recently granted by the state legislature and City Council — also figures prominently in achieving the safety targets.

Highlights Include:

• A target of zero traffic fatalities annually in 10 years. (The city has been averaging about 50 a year.)

• 20 mph zones in all the city’s residential areas.

• A five percent bike mode share on trips less than five miles. (Currently 1.3 percent of Chicagoans travel by bike, but in the central city the figure is as high as two percent.)

• An emphasis on street maintenance, or “fix it first.”

Chicago's transportation "action plan" calls for increased camera-based traffic enforcement. Image: Chicago DOT

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:36 PM

New O'Hare cargo facility promises 11,000 jobs

Never mind....

Last edited by Mister Uptempo; May 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM. Reason: already covered elsewhere

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 11:35 AM

Wait. Am I crazy, or is Midway on the wrong side of central in _the city's_ red light map?

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisouthsider View Post
Wait. Am I crazy, or is Midway on the wrong side of central in _the city's_ red light map?
It is. It's Cicero that Midway is west of.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 7:42 PM
Obsessed Activist

Hybrid Diesel-Electric Buses Coming To Chicago

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/hybri...ago-45910.html

Hybrid Diesel-Electric Buses Coming To Chicago

PUBLISHED MAY 15, 2012

BY PHILIPPE CROWE

New Flyer Industries Inc. announced yesterday an order for one hundred 60-foot articulated buses for the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) in support of its fleet renewal and customer enhancement strategies.

Of the new buses, 33 are hybrid diesel-electric buses (model DE60LFR) and the other 67 are clean-diesel buses (model D60LFR).

The order is worth $80.1 million. The D60LFR and DE60LFR can accommodate up to 115 passengers and are ideal for high-capacity, high-frequency routes.

New Flyer will commence building the buses in 2012, with all deliveries completed by mid-year 2013. The last purchase of heavy-duty transit buses by the Chicago Transit Authority was in 2009 - and was also with New Flyer. The CTA currently operates 1,780 transit buses in its fleet, 1,258 of which are New Flyer buses.

Each bus will be equipped with New Flyer Connect, New Flyer's onboard remote vehicle management system, enabling the CTA to achieve the best performance and safety out of its buses by providing the right information, to the right people at the right time. Real time problem reporting of operational and vehicle health data is said to provide transit authorities with the ability to monitor and improve fuel economy, schedule preventative maintenance and ensure that the vehicle operates safely.

Mike Payne

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 5:20 AM
Obsessed Activist

Transport Chicago Conference

Just got my reservation confirmation as a Poster Exhibitor at the Transport Chicago Conference in 2 weeks, hope to see all of you there:
http://www.transportchicago.org/

Mike Payne

CTA Gray Line Project

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:44 PM
The City

Question for those in the know:

Has there been any discussion about creating a new stop at Clinton (or Canal) on the O'Hare branch of the Blue Line?

And if not, does the planning for a future Canal/Clinton St subway have anything to do with why this hasn't been given a priority?

Thanks to anyone

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Question for those in the know:

Has there been any discussion about creating a new stop at Clinton (or Canal) on the O'Hare branch of the Blue Line?

And if not, does the planning for a future Canal/Clinton St subway have anything to do with why this hasn't been given a priority?

Thanks to anyone
That would start with questioning..."Why?"

The Blue line is on a curve, one track is at the deepest spot on the entire 'L'/subway. The area is already served by the Green/Pink lines. A blue line stop at Grand/Halsted is mere blocks away.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 4:24 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
No serious discussion.

Quote:
No, Clinton Street subway talk has nothing to do with a Clinton Street Blue Line stop.

1) the cost would be enormous, given the proximity to the river, the proximity to multiple levels of rail lines and roadways, and the proximity of utilities.

2) the benefit would be minimal. It would assumedly have entrances at Milwaukee/Lake and/or Milwaukee/Clinton. From Milwaukee/Lake, the Blue Line Wells/Lake entrance is a 6 minute walk. From Milwaukee/Canal, it becomes an 8 minute walk, or a 10 minute walk to the Grand Blue Line stop. And that's from the locations *best* served by a hypothetical Clinton/Canal stop on the Blue Line. Other areas benefit even less.

3) So, given that balance, why would you want them to? A station that might cost something around $150 million (or more) for minimal benefit? We could add 3-4 new elevation stations in other parts of the system for that price.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 9:55 PM

I dont know if its been covered earlier (I dont think it has), but would anyone care to have a discussion on the merits of the Streetcar line proposed for Clark Street by the Chicago Streetcar Renaissance? It has been getting a little bit of coverage recently, both in New City and then subsequently linked on Curbed

Having been to several European cities that have Streetcars which run in pedestrian only corridors similar to what CSR is proposing for Clark street, I would say that if done correctly I believe if could be very successful given the scale of Clark and the density of uses and residents. However, this is not Europe and people already scream bloody murder about protected bike lanes, so how on earth would something like this go over? But to counter that, the 36 and 22 are downright terrible and maybe with enough assurances residents could accept the trade off of losing a roadway for gaining a quick, reliable, timely transit system to replace the bus lines.

Regarding the routing, I would imagine a Broadway routing North of Diversey would be more successful... but either way you will run into issues of a appropriate Northern terminus and future Northern extension pathways which I dont think has easy answers.

I know this is more of the hypothetical transit nerd dream scenario talk, but does anyone have thoughts regrading CSR's work?

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 3:23 AM
Urbane observer

Well, it seems to be someone's napkin sketch with a website. I'm not aware of anyone seriously studying this. I think the idea of moving all the express bus riders from Marine Drive/Sheridan/Lake View all the way over to Clark just so they can support a streetcar is a nonstarter with the highrise residents who currently enjoy bus service at their doors. They might walk over to Clark for a subway, but I don't think they will for a streetcar.

I was also amused by their bald assertion that a streetcar
Quote:
cuts the operating cost dramatically, because each driver can carry 3-6 times as many passengers as a bus, and the drivers account for most of the cost of operating a transit system
when the National Transit Database shows streetcar operating costs per hour averaging 180 percent of bus costs.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
... with the highrise residents who currently enjoy bus service at their doors. They might walk over to Clark for a subway, but I don't think they will for a streetcar.
Exactly. On Lake Shore, the 135 takes you to work; the 146 takes you to Michigan Avenue. Life runs parallel to the Lake. The L is considered pretty far west. Clark is considered remote.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 4:22 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
I dont know if its been covered earlier (I dont think it has), but would anyone care to have a discussion on the merits of the Streetcar line proposed for Clark Street by the Chicago Streetcar Renaissance? It has been getting a little bit of coverage recently, both in New City and then subsequently linked on Curbed

Having been to several European cities that have Streetcars which run in pedestrian only corridors similar to what CSR is proposing for Clark street, I would say that if done correctly I believe if could be very successful given the scale of Clark and the density of uses and residents. However, this is not Europe and people already scream bloody murder about protected bike lanes, so how on earth would something like this go over? But to counter that, the 36 and 22 are downright terrible and maybe with enough assurances residents could accept the trade off of losing a roadway for gaining a quick, reliable, timely transit system to replace the bus lines.

Regarding the routing, I would imagine a Broadway routing North of Diversey would be more successful... but either way you will run into issues of a appropriate Northern terminus and future Northern extension pathways which I dont think has easy answers.

I know this is more of the hypothetical transit nerd dream scenario talk, but does anyone have thoughts regrading CSR's work?
I wasn't familiar with the plan, but if I were making it, I might push to follow Broadway to Belmont, then run west on Belmont to Southport and take Southport to Clark. I know that doesn't get you to Wrigley, but Wrigley is already well-served by transit, whereas the north stretch of Southport is not.

I do like the idea of running some of the commuter lines on a no-car Clark instead of on Cannon Drive. I do think that north of Belmont or Addison or at least Irving, it may be necessary to mix the streetcars with cars on the road. One way you can do that is to alternate directions for cars every few blocks, which eliminates through-traffic but allows some local traffic. It also means you could make half of the streetway no-car, which would either be the best of both worlds, or the worst. Places like Andersonville will probably not be able to densify fast enough to make eliminating car travel on Clark realistic in the short-to-mid term.

Finally, I think it would be best served to tie it into at least two other lines - one on Chicago Ave and one on 18th Street (yes, that would mean running Clark streetcars at least as far as 18th, it might make sense to run them to McCormick via Cermak to MLK, then possibly also one down Martin Luther King, Jr. to 35th, to Cottage Grove to either 55th or 57th to the Museum of Science and Industry because then you tie in Hyde Park and U of C and the museum.

Ultimately, a system would be better than a single line.

That said, I know there's at least one other "master plan" for the central area and south lakefront being worked on by a highly experienced but independent group (I'm not at liberty to discuss details, but I will say I think any of you Chicago transit fans would find it inspirational and I know many of you are already fans of some of the key players). Done right, the streetcar proposal could probably tie into that pretty well.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 5:04 AM
TL;DR

Not at liberty? Do tell.

I'm doing my best Paddy Bauler here, but I think Chicago ain't ready for streetcars.

Battles over on-street space are incredibly contentious - in New York, Sadik-Khan removed the wrong set of parking spaces and soon had some of the city's most influential residents pissed off and steaming at the whole bike lane program. Even NYC couldn't close streets entirely, as the contentious 34th St Transitway showed. Any kind of proper streetcar or BRT program will have to take space away from autos somehow, and I don't think (in the Central Area) that such a plan is politically feasible.

On the other hand, I think as a city we need to start having these debates about the proper use of roadspace. It might be possible to implement this type of thing on more outlying corridors with excess roadspace. I'm very interested to see what attitudes the Western BRT project will turn up. The gradually-escalating rollout of bike lanes, buffered bike lanes, protected bike lanes, etc. is a good way to ease into the larger conversation.

Also, it doesn't help that the city signed away the rights to almost a third of its total roadspace through the parking meter deal. That deal cripples the ability of CDOT to implement the innovative strategies seen in other cities, except in places with severely-overbuilt roads where whole lanes can be removed without penalty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation