HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Feb 22, 2008, 11:22 PM
No Respect

The Hmmm! a few post up is the real deal. Look for a hotel for business travelers to be announced soon!
"Thank ya Mississippi , Without you we be #50!"

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 12:08 AM

Must be that W we've all been looking for

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 3:31 PM
Geaux Tigers!

I'll sh*t a brick the day Mobile gets a W...

fortunately i dont think it will be in the next 10 years... but i would be willing to eat my own words if it DOES

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 5:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileLSUboy2005 View Post
Mobile gets a W...

fortunately i dont think it will be in the next 10 years... but i would be willing to eat my own words if it DOES
Guy's come on, have some faith in Mobile, seriously! Between the past two day's all I have read is mostly negative, negative, negative. With retail, all the way to "there is no way we are getting that." Starting here in Baton Rouge, when I first moved here BR only had one good place to shop and that was Mall Of Louisiana. They just built the Towne Center here and it is a lot like Eastern Shore Centre, but with less high end, it only has Whole Foods which is nice, but still Fresh Market is just as good. The only big move that started the retail bust here in BR was hurricane Katrina. Mobile " no offense to BR" is already years ahead of Baton Rouge by many aspects. Mobile is becoming a major business hub and that is the best way to start; because when you bring in business, you bring in people, nice high-end hotel's, high-end retail, and major restaurants. Mobile already has better road ways, and the beach close by, so that is a major market to start. Also, Eastern Shore Centre is not looking to target a city trend person, it is a suburban development and that was what it will remain; like I have said before it is better than dirt and just trees. Look at all the positives aspects that Mobile has now that you did not have five years ago. Give the city some time the lifestyle is already changing and you cannot see it living there, but I do and so does a lot of people that live in BR and visit Mobile, they love the change and want BR to be that way.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 6:54 PM

TimothynCrystal, I hope I didn't sound like I was dumping on Mobile just because I don't like the Eastern Shore Center and had to have my little joke about the pillow-spray W. I am very thrilled at the many changes that have happened in the 16 or so years since we moved here. And I think we are a LOT better off than Baton Rouge, in almost every way.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 10:38 PM

Well, I *am* dumping on Eastern Shore Centre. This vaunted lifestyle center is the biggest retail disappointment to hit the Gulf Coast in more than a decade. Not only is its vacancy rate pretty high, but its meager high end offerings are tepid, as others have pointed out. Since Sharper Image is closing 90 of their stores, in the forthcoming months, I wonder if their ESC location will be among them. The ENTIRE I-10/SR 181 interchange vicinity was better off as pine forests and cotton fields.

Last edited by NitekKetin; Feb 23, 2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: incorrect preposition used

Old Posted Feb 23, 2008, 10:39 PM

The 'business class' hotel that Bayou was alluding to is probably the aformentioned Hyatt Place.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 4:13 AM
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitekKetin View Post
Well, I *am* dumping on Eastern Shore Centre. This vaunted lifestyle center is the biggest retail disappointment to hit the Gulf Coast in more than a decade. Not only is its vacancy rate pretty high, but its meager high end offerings are tepid, as others have pointed out. Since Sharper Image is closing 90 of their stores, in the forthcoming months, I wonder if their ESC location will be among them. The ENTIRE I-10/SR 181 interchange vicinity was better off as pine forests and cotton fields.
I agree about ESC...its pretty disappointing... and my point is that, for a city the size Mobile already is, it SHOULD have a lot more to offer than it does... but yes, its changing...

Yea i mean, i've lived in Mobile for 20 years, and Baton Rouge concurrently the last 4 years, and of course Katrina had a lot to do with it, but a lot of the BR development was in the planning before-hand. I mean, just look (for those who are familiar with BR and Mobile) at the much larger number of shopping centers (albeit many are just small crappy ones) but there are just flat out soo many more retail options in BR than Mob. I think one of the main reasons for all that is LSU though, I mean, the city is supporting an extra 28,000+ people who aren't included in the city data, and many who stay after graduation just add to the affluent population of BR. Mobile is just plain lacking in that department, but i think its becoming a little bit of a tourist stop (not yet destination), and Baton Rouge doesn't have that...but then they have the capitol stuff... And I'm not saying Mobile [I]couldnt[I] get that stuff, its just that they havent haha...Sooo i dunno, i mean, i could have a whole thread on comparing the two cities - and don't get me wrong, i love both dearly, i mean...Mobile IS my home, but now that im having the choice of living in either...there's no doubt, i'd rather live in Baton Rouge because it just has more to offer in the areas of shopping/dining. I would so much rather have the street layout and (lack of) traffic that Mobile has though...

Haha oh yea, and Timothyncrystal: i have to disagree with Fresh Market being as good as Whole Foods... haha totally different animal! I can go and have an entire meal prepared for me fresh by cooks and eat it in the store - including coffee and gelato at Whole Foods...don't think Fresh Market offers all that - wish they did though! I have been meaning to send Whole Foods a suggestion that they need a Mobile location (Spring Hill or Eastern Shore - altho i would prefer Spring Hill since I live nearby)

If Mobile gets better shopping/dining, and Baton Rouge gets an entire new street and public transit system...then the two cities would be just perfect! But I would have to choose Mobile then because it has a little bit of topography and great proximity to the bay/coast! -- this was a really, really long post... sorry haha

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 5:04 AM

Mobile lacks that major affluent 'hook' that attracts upscale retailers in substantial numbers. Perhaps after these major industry projects positively impact the local economy in the next couple of years, then South Alabama will start appearing on the radar of higher end retailers. I could see Bailey Banks and Biddle, Bakers Shoes and Eddie Bauer re-entering the market. Also, our regional shopping centers need to be under the management and direction of strong REITS like GGP, Cousins, Bayer, Simons and even Jim Wilson and Associates. These firms would be able to use their strong relationships with various retailers to mold our shopping centers into interesting destinations.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 1:54 PM

NitekKetin, I remember years ago, listening to someone from the Chamber patiently explaining to a couple of the Oakleigh ladies that in spite of what they wanted to see in the neighborhood, we simply didn't have the demographic to support a row of "cute little boutiques" on Government (where the Storage Max ended up).

LSU boy, I agree about Whole Foods. Fresh Market is like the Epcot version. Whole lot better than nothing at all, though.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2008, 3:27 PM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
And I think we are a LOT better off than Baton Rouge, in almost every way.
hmmmmmmmmmm. you are entitled to your opinion,LOL.

Seriously, Mobile has a lot to offer, it has always been one of my favorites. Mobilians (sp?) need to appreciate the city for what it has become and stop worrying about how it stacks up against New Orleans, Baton Rouge or Birmingham.

Last edited by fla_tiger; Feb 24, 2008 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 9:14 PM

Living in Auburn I came across this article. It is just a "pork barrel" project for the local senator. If it comes to fruition, wouldnt this project be much more successful in Mobile. AU already works out of Dauphin Island as well, so they have fisheries people in the area anyway. Auburn is only about 1 1/2 hours from the largest aquarium in the US(Atlanta) and not too far from Chattanooga as well. I know Mobile is pretty close to NO, but if you are going to put another Aquarium in the Southeast, I think it would make alot more sense in a big metro like Mobile from a visitors standpoint. From an educational standpoint, I think it still makes sense because AU has some connections at DI Sea Lab. Thoughts???

The Alabama Aquarium organization is angling to bring an education and research facility to the state. One possibility could result in Auburn University reeling in the education destination.

By William White
O-A News
February 21, 2008

A fish tale it’s not.

The prospect of bringing the 6 million gallon Alabama Aquarium to Auburn University is part of a vision that sets a comprehensive public facility for aquatic and environmental education on a 100-acre site at the E.W. Shell Fisheries Center on North College Street.

Alabama Congressman Mike Rogers was introduced to the idea of having The Alabama Aquarium in Auburn and presented a copy of a related proposal by District 2 Lee County Commissioner Johnny Lawrence Wednesday.

“There is a group called The Alabama Aquarium, and they want to build a world-class aquarium in Alabama,” Lawrence said. “Right now they are looking at Auburn University and its fisheries program.”

The county commissioner said the group wants to build an aquarium with education as its primary focus.

“Not just for the children and parents that come there, but this could become the training center for aquariums all over the country and the world for that matter.

“They are preparing this (proposal) to go to the (AU) president,” Lawrence told Rogers. “We want to make you aware that this proposal is on the table.”

Pointing out the locations of a new aquarium, Auburn University and the Celebrate Alabama project in Opelika, Lawrence said, “You have AU here, Celebrate Alabama project here and then add an aquarium here, then Auburn, Opelika and Lee County become a place for people to come and stay for the weekend and boost tourism for the area.

Rogers asked who served on the group’s board and finished with, “It’s a great idea.”

The internal proposal, which suggests AU as a potential site, hasn’t gone to the university’s president for consideration of committing 100 acres of university land at the E.W. Shell Fisheries Center for the site.

In a telephone interview, the executive director for the organization said the non-profit The Alabama Aquarium was formed in 2002, and has a seven-member board made up of an attorney, educators, a judge and a city councilman. Locally, Dr. John Jensen of Auburn serves on the board.

While the aquarium’s future waters may be muddy now, The Alabama Aquarium’s vision is clear.

“Jensen came to me and asked me if we wanted to look into Auburn as a possible site,” said Dr. R Will Vanoy, executive director for The Alabama Aquarium. “Just looking at the tie-in of what we have planned for The Alabama Aquarium and just some of the remarkable potential in partnering with Auburn University is intriguing and something we want to pursue.

“We are looking at other areas,” Vanoy said.

He said he hopes the white paper, or proposal, will be presented to AU’s president in the next few weeks.

“I am hopeful. I am intrigued by Auburn,” Vanoy said. “I am very interested in pursuing that location.

“I think it would be a wonderful, wonderful place for us, but we are looking at some other areas as well and very soon will send out requests for proposals to various cities throughout the state of Alabama.”

Asked about the vision, Vanoy said the concept is Alabama’s waters all the way to the Gulf of Mexico — rivers, streams, lakes and ponds.

“The concept of this aquarium came many, many years ago and the purpose behind it was Alabama has the most natural resources of water among any state in the United States with more than 77,000 miles of navigable waters in our state.

“Alabama seems like the no-brainer place to discuss natural resources,” he said.

“The goal for The Alabama Aquarium is that of an educational facility foremost,” Vanoy said. “A tie-in with Auburn University, a partnership with them, really strengthens the education concept of the aquarium.”

Vanoy said, “The exciting thing for us and for Auburn University really should be how this project affects all of the departments,” The proposal suggests that the aquarium would benefit the Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures by allowing AU to develop new teaching, research and outreach programs in aquatic sciences and possibly establish a Center for Advanced Studies in Fisheries and Allied Aquaculture as well as business, architecture, building science, education, engineering, vet medicine, forestry and wildlife sciences, and others like all of the arts.

“There is a huge impact the university can have on us, and we can have on the university,” Vanoy said.

He said the impact of the two of us partnering together can have on this state and nation are enormous.

“The more I talk about it the more excited I get,” the executive director said.

The proposal suggests there is a strong local interest in the aquarium and a willingness by Lee County and the city of Auburn to fund a $30,000 to $50,000 market survey to assess the feasibility of the project.

The Alabama Aquarium is expected to be an $120 million dollar investment that includes the main aquarium, an education center and an amphitheater.

By the Numbers:

The Georgia Aquarium:
- 3.6 million visitors the first year
- 50,000 students in education programs
- largest by gallons of water (8 million gallons)
- world’s largest by number of animals
- a non-profit organization run by a board of directors
- a $250+ million gift to Atlanta

The Tennessee Aquarium:
- a million visitors a year
- 100,000 students in education programs
- opened in 1992 as the world’s largest freshwater aquarium
- in 1999, 20,000 of the visitors were international
- research arm in the Tenn. Aquarium Research Institute

The Dauphin Island Sea Lab (Mobile):
- Mobile’s fourth most-well attended tourist attraction in 2003, hosting 77,475 visitors
- 16 of the 22 member universities sent undergraduate, master’s and Ph.D. candidates
- Summer programs attracted K-12 academic classes, teacher workshops and summer programs for middle and high school students.
- includes The Equestarium, an education facility highlighting the Mobile Tensaw River Delta, Mobile Bay, the Barrier Islands and Northern Gulf of Mexico.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 9:00 PM

Lightbulb

Today I was informed by a very trustworthy little birdie that within the next week the crown on the Riverview will be lit.

I wonder if the same company that lit the RSA Tower is doing the work on the Riverview? If that's the case, we're in for a treat.

Last edited by Musicisright; Feb 28, 2008 at 9:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 9:22 PM
Mobile, Alabama

I hope the same company does the lighting to. I guess that's a question for montysano, if I remember his name correctly.

The Downtown Alliance News Feb-March '08 newsletter is out. It has a drawing of the Gayfer's Building project, which should start construction soon, and about the developer of the new Hampton Inn downtown plans of building another hotel for buisness travelers. Here is the link....http://www.downtownmobile.org/images...ebmar_08_2.pdf

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 10:45 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

I realy hope Mobile wins that tanker contract if so that will be our second fortune 500 company besides the German steel company !! The downtown alliance web site mentioned retail I would love to see a bana republic, guess,and a whole foods etc downtown. On the website they are planing on recruting retail downtown this year, I`m going to keep my fingers crossed. It would be nice if the new hotel can be 350 - 400 feet tall with ground floor retail.

Last edited by Port_of_Bama; Feb 28, 2008 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonCity251 View Post
I hope the same company does the lighting to. I guess that's a question for montysano, if I remember his name correctly.

The Downtown Alliance News Feb-March '08 newsletter is out. It has a drawing of the Gayfer's Building project, which should start construction soon, and about the developer of the new Hampton Inn downtown plans of building another hotel for buisness travelers. Here is the link....http://www.downtownmobile.org/images...ebmar_08_2.pdf
That gayfers rendering is completely different from the original proposal seen here: http://www.downtownmobile.org/images...port6_copy.pdf
I think the newer concept fits into downtown mobile a little better architecturally.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2008, 11:35 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

So far there has been over 425 million dollars invested into downtown if you include the Maritime Museum ($40,000,000 ) and the proposed new federal court house we will be getting hopfuly one day ($ 75,000,000). If you include those 2 future additions to Mobile thats around 540,000,000 million dollars being invested in downtown Mobile alone.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 12:53 AM
No Respect

[The Downtown Alliance News Feb-March '08 newsletter is out. It has a drawing of the Gayfer's Building project, which should start construction soon, and about the developer of the new Hampton Inn downtown plans of building another hotel for buisness travelers. Here is the link....http://www.downtownmobile.org/images...ebmar_08_2.pdf[/QUOTE]

Damn, Lucky guess on that one.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 1:16 AM

I passed through Mobile a couple days ago coming back from Gulf Shores, and especially like the new crown on the Riverview. The construction on the Bass Pro in Spanish Fort is coming along, but most of that development is a giant dirt pile. How is the Alabama Motorsports Park project coming along ?

Old Posted Feb 29, 2008, 1:58 AM
No Respect

The Rat's Lagninappe..........

1) From the angle I saw last night , looked like the stump was lit on the Riverview

2) Ok....Did some homework.... Cant tell all my info ,but here some hints

a) A fourth tunnel for downtown (not water related). This is a major fill in. Project not dead yet ,but on life support.

b) Now for the Biggie(no, not Big Pappa).........Looks like maybe the church might come off of it.......and if so my avtar(sp?)will happen

.....The hold up on this and MANY more major developments in downtown rely on the "New Vision for Old Mobile " a study that is geauxing on as we speak. To my fellow posters on this site....the meeting is March 11th at the ALABAMA School for math and science for the Downtown area. Hope to seeya there ..........later...................

"Have a Great Day"(Coach Miles,12/07)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast