HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #701  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 6:12 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 4,324
If you can make a beer and have it profitable selling at a dollar a bottle, chances are it's pretty bad beer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #702  
Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 8:14 PM
FrankieFlowerpot's Avatar
FrankieFlowerpot FrankieFlowerpot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I can safely say I will not be purchasing any buck-a-beer. Although I would probably try the PC stuff before Barley Days or Cool's offering since I imagine it's of higher quality (maybe not saying much). Only if I saw it at a Loblaw's location or in the LCBO - I don't go to the Beer store on principle.
The PC beer that's on offer (only until Monday as they have pulled it already) is only available at Beer Stores
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #703  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:42 AM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 15,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
If you can make a beer and have it profitable selling at a dollar a bottle, chances are it's pretty bad beer.
Those drawn to dollar a beer are not likely to be overly concerned if it's bad beer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #704  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:48 AM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 4,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Those drawn to dollar a beer are not likely to be overly concerned if it's bad beer.
This is also true.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #705  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:25 AM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
If you can make a beer and have it profitable selling at a dollar a bottle, chances are it's pretty bad beer.
Most beer sold is pretty bad. You might as well pay a buck for it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #706  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:38 AM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 15,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Most beer sold is pretty bad. You might as well pay a buck for it.
Also true. The list of top-selling beers in Canada is mainly a list of bad (or at best mediocre) beers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #707  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 12:16 PM
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
Innsertnamehere Innsertnamehere is offline
Insertoronto
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,558
I picked up the Barley Days and some of the PC Cerveza..

Barley Days tastes pretty good actually, but it's very very light.

PC Cerveza tastes essentially the same as Corona. But it's half the price.

I also bought the PC genuine Lager, but haven't tried it yet.

I enjoy my beers as much as the next guy - and about 90% of my consumption is craft.. but I'm going to try these $1 beers to see what they are like, and to save a bit of money.. as I said, they are half the price of other beers. And it's not like any of them are going to be priced like that for long. I give it a month until there are no brewers selling beer at that price point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #708  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:11 PM
north 42's Avatar
north 42 north 42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario/Colchester, Ontario
Posts: 4,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Those drawn to dollar a beer are not likely to be overly concerned if it's bad beer.
Yep! Probably the same people who buy Laker beer now, pretty horrible stuff, and a favourite of the local vagrants in this area!
__________________
Windsor Ontario, Canada's southern most city!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #709  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:13 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 15,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I picked up the Barley Days and some of the PC Cerveza..

Barley Days tastes pretty good actually, but it's very very light.

PC Cerveza tastes essentially the same as Corona. But it's half the price.

I also bought the PC genuine Lager, but haven't tried it yet.

I enjoy my beers as much as the next guy - and about 90% of my consumption is craft.. but I'm going to try these $1 beers to see what they are like, and to save a bit of money.. as I said, they are half the price of other beers. And it's not like any of them are going to be priced like that for long. I give it a month until there are no brewers selling beer at that price point.
I wonder if "taste" is really an accurate word when used to describe Corona?

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Aug 31, 2018 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #710  
Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 4:31 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,512
yea but those wanting cheap beer will also want it in 2L stone cold style no?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #711  
Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 11:04 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 4,324
It should be of no surprise that Landwash Brewery, their brewers formerly from Folly in Toronto, can make a dang good saison. This is honestly the best local beer I've ever had (even if local competition isn't so strong).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #712  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 12:37 AM
haljackey's Avatar
haljackey haljackey is offline
User Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 2,700
I have logged over 350 different beers, ratings kept simple - out of 5
Many Canadian and Ontario craft brews rated too

Check it out if interested!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Xc0/edit#gid=0

Favorite:
Creemore Springs Premium Lager

Worst:
Busch


I don't consider myself a beer snob (maybe I'm in denial), I just like trying new things! Whenever the LCBO has a beer I have not tried on promo, I get it to try it out!

I have also ordered the new No Name Beer from the LCBO online - $1 a beer this weekend only. All stores were gutted so had to get online-in-store-pickup.
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/sku...0#.XGitDqB7lhE
__________________
My Twitter

My Simcity Stuff
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #713  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 12:57 AM
Proof Sheet Proof Sheet is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I have logged over 350 different beers, ratings kept simple - out of 5
Many Canadian and Ontario craft brews rated too

Check it out if interested!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Xc0/edit#gid=0

Favorite:
Creemore Springs Premium Lager

Worst:
Busch


I don't consider myself a beer snob (maybe I'm in denial), I just like trying new things! Whenever the LCBO has a beer I have not tried on promo, I get it to try it out!

I have also ordered the new No Name Beer from the LCBO online - $1 a beer this weekend only. All stores were gutted so had to get online-in-store-pickup.
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/sku...0#.XGitDqB7lhE
Well documented. I'm almost exclusively craft beer and especially IPA or APA and never drink lager by choice.

Best beer I ever had from Ontario is probably 12 Pale Ale by County Road Brewing Company (now closed or Gigantic: La Formidable by Beau's

Worst beer brewed in Ontario. Too many to limit. Any 'Dry' 'Ice' beer or any Lime-o-rita swill or any beer in the Corona/Schlitz/Busch/PBR/ family of crapitude..

Have you got an Untappd account to document your beers and where you had them and your ratings etc?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #714  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2019, 1:13 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 27,454
As has been well established, I have amateur taste in beer.

BUT my fave regulars so far...

1. Propeller Extra Special Bitter (NS)
2. Storm Coffee Porter (NL)
3. Quidi Vidi Day Boil (NL)

#1 is absolute. But #s 2-3 could change but just for infrequent tastes. For example, I like Port Rexton's porter more than storm, but I rarely can get it, etc.

However, what I usually drink...

1. India Beer (NL)
2. Red Stripe (Jamaica)
3. Guinness (IE)
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #715  
Old Posted May 6, 2019, 8:11 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Suburbs Suck
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Castlegar BC
Posts: 6,533
Canadian beer awards just came out.
Overall winner was from Central City Brewing in Surrey BC for their Red Racer After Hours Pale Ale.
Canadian Brewing Awards in Toronto
__________________
Daily 1 hour flights from YCG to YVR & YYC on ACX
British Columbia is named after the Columbia River, a 4 minute walk from my house
Exactly halfway between Vancouver and Calgary
castlegar.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #716  
Old Posted May 6, 2019, 10:47 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 15,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Canadian beer awards just came out.
Overall winner was from Central City Brewing in Surrey BC for their Red Racer After Hours Pale Ale.
Canadian Brewing Awards in Toronto
With Clifford Brewing of Hamilton winning Brewery of the Year. Here is a link with all the medal winners:

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/201...ers-announced/
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:26 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.