HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
What's the status of the Milwaukee proposal ? The office tower.
Still a proposal. Major tenants have signed intent but a recent article made it sound like they still need more.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:19 PM
The City

Is this thread still getting updated?

Do we correctly only have ONE under construction highrise over 200 feet in the entire midwestern United States excluding Chicago?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 6:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i have't updated the list in a long while because no one has posted about any other highrise construction projects going on in the midwest

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Is this thread still getting updated?

Do we correctly only have ONE under construction highrise over 200 feet in the entire midwestern United States excluding Chicago?
The new TD Ameritrade HQ in central Omaha is 230 Ft topped out. Not exactly stunning architecture though.

Brad Williams

http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com/

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 3:50 AM

So...not to completely rain on the parade or anything here, but we need to delete one of the proposals off the first page.

1010 Nicollette (The rumored Target development) is not going to be a tower. They are building a "Great Hall" aka glorified humongous meeting room and recreational areas.

No dice on a Target Tower. What a shame.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:24 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

that's a damn handsome flag you have as your avatar...

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:40 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Forgot about this thread. Off the top of my head, Columbus' newest hospital is 299ft.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/w...ectone_day.jpg

Cleveland has that new East Flats tower going up and it's over 200+ feet.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:52 PM

^^Thanks Centro! Also a sticker on my computer as well from those awesome guys over at StL-Style.com

As St. Louis' contribution to the list, BJC (Barnes Hospital) in StL is currently in the process of selecting an architect for a major $1B plus expansion. Barnes borders Forest Park to the East in the Central West End, and has been building virtually non-stop. They just completed a building which I believe is very close to 200 ft. as a new ambulatory care center.

Part of the expansion will be to demolish the out-dated Queeny Tower and replace it with a newer version. The CEO of the hospital stated that height is not necessarily their goal, but the new tower will most certainly qualify for this list and could potentially be in the 400' or taller range. Once again, though, extremely early in the planning stages at this point.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 11:34 PM
Architecture/Engineering

The two proposed apartment towers in downtown Minneapolis (33 & 36 stories) look to be breaking ground in a few months according to the article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune a couple of days ago:

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/158462805.html

Last edited by Avian001; Jun 13, 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 5:33 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Hines development is proposing a pair of towers - 24 & 26 stories - for 350 North Fifth Av in downtown Minneapolis across the street from Target Field and the LRT station. Occupancy for 2015. The office tower client is "confidential" but is rumored to be the National Marrow Donor Program. The NMDP has publicly stated they are looking for about 450,000 sq. ft. for a new HQ and are focusing on the same site but we don't know if they have committed to a deal or not. It's unclear who/what will occupy the 2nd tower or if it is just a "phase 2" since it doesn't appear to show up in the 2nd rendering.

As of July 2012, there were nearly 11,000 units of housing under construction & proposed in the core cities of Minneapolis & St. Paul. So perhaps the 2nd tower is supposed to be for apartments. Several thousand units have already come on line in Minneapolis and yet the vacancy rate is still hovering around 2%.

Photos from Pickard-Chilton Architects Portfolio:

Last edited by Avian001; Aug 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:45 AM

I was anticipating something more than this! I guess in this market somethings better than nothing..... 25 story box. What happened to the 35-40 story proposal?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 12:28 AM
Architecture/Engineering

This is the first proposal for that site. There never was a "35-40 story" proposal as far as I know. This site is deep within the Warehouse District several blocks away from the high-rise core and is actually an "out of left field" surprise to most who follow the Minneapolis developments thread.

Maybe you're thinking of another site?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 4:25 AM

Yes I am! Did'nt realize it till much later. I was thinking about the tower at the other end of Nicholett. My Bad!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 12:34 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Yes I am! Did'nt realize it till much later. I was thinking about the tower at the other end of Nicholett. My Bad!
Yes, probably the 36-story 1368 LaSalle building just off Nicollet shown below? There has been some site work going on there over the last few weeks but I don't know when official groundbreaking is supposed to happen.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 12:34 AM

I was just in downtown Cedar Rapids yesterday before my flight back to Denver and I noticed a rather tall new tower near the downtown convention center which looked to be 14-15 or more floors. Just was wondering what is going up there. Thanks.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 3:24 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Financing for 1362 LaSalle is in place, according to a local source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
Though I hesitate to post this on a national forum (because we really don't know if a new tower will be a supertall or not, AND posting any image like this is bound to cause all sorts of assumptions), here is an altered skyline shot of Minneapolis that:

1) Shows the scale & location of the possible new tower IF it was around 1000'. As mentioned, the site is across the street from the IDS Tower. The building used here is another Pickard Chilton tower that was manipulated in Photoshop.

2) Shows both the proposed Nicollet (on the left) and 401 Developments (gold tower on the right), even though the latter tower is on hold while the lower hotel portion is developed.

When I lived in Minneapolis, back in the 70's/80's, they put a height limit in place, 775 feet, no building to go higher than the IDS Tower. The Caesar Pelli designed Norwest Tower was scheduled to go higher, but was restricted by the new height limits. Don't know if they eventually scrapped the height limits. Anyone know?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2012, 4:05 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Wow, that's an old pic from before the economic crash The "height limit" was just a myth. There never has been one in Minneapolis. It was due to economic necessities that Pelli's Norwest Center was reduced in height. Also the owners of the IDS Tower have - in the past - lobbied for lower building heights only because they could lose the lucrative antenna farm business on the roof.

Right now there are rumblings about new towers that would be taller than the IDS. One is the already announced Hines Development at 10th & Marquette.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 1:02 AM

^What is the Hines development? Have any links or info?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2012, 6:14 PM
-_-

Iowa City asked for proposals from developers to build on a piece of land owned by the city on the eastern edge of downtown. There are 9 proposals, ranging from 5 to 20 stories tall. So, maybe it will end up qualifying for this thread, maybe not.

Details can be found in the following article:
http://www.press-citizen.com/article...treet-property

I assembled the pictures of the proposals into one image:

(all individual images courtesy of City of Iowa City)

There is also another proposal for a different piece of property in the city. The proposed building would be a 14-story mixed-use building with retail, office space and residential. It is proposed by the Moen Group, who developed another 14-story building in downtown Iowa City about 6 years ago. This one doesn't really qualify for this thread, but I thought I'd mention it since I was posting Iowa City news anyway.

Details:
http://thegazette.com/2012/07/10/iow...ered-tif-deal/

additional pictures can be found here:
http://www.press-citizen.com/apps/pb...4180801&Ref=PH

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest