HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 3:28 PM

Part of the study will be to determine the alignment in the area of Leila and Jose Rizal, with those two intersections being signalized "long term". They should basically re-route Chief further west, as they kind of show with the arrow and question mark. They could then have a local street within the original Chief right of way, connecting to CPT with two highway style interchanges (or some form of diamond or trumpet) at the north and south ends. With Chief getting back to it's original alignment in the area of King Edward and Jefferson. Then have both Leila and Jose, even Templeton as well, connect to the new local street. Then in the area between Chief and the new local street, have commercial or apartments/condos. Or something along those lines. Maybe a park or something.

This way Chief could be free flow through there, really with minimal additional cost.

Last edited by bomberjet; Jun 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 4:33 PM

Thinking about it even more, you could have King Edward in the south connect to the new local road. So basically a road in the original Chief right of way, connecting from Templeton in the north to King Ed at the south end. Seems pretty sweet to me.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 8:04 PM

Soooo, all these diamond interchanges are purposed for this part of the extension... Where is the diamond at Gateway/CPT? That intersection during rush hour is a shit show. Another fail, good job Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
Soooo, all these diamond interchanges are purposed for this part of the extension... Where is the diamond at Gateway/CPT? That intersection during rush hour is a shit show. Another fail, good job Winnipeg.
Where you once had two separate roadways (Raliegh and Gateway) or four lanes is now two lanes on Gateway, some of us here said at the time of construction that it was stupid to leave only two lanes on Gateway, guess what it's as bad or worse than expected. A planned traffic circle at Sun Valley and Gateway will do little to alleviate the clusterfuck when the road is already so under capacity. Lack of funds or poor planning or just a lack of caring from the city or all of the above?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2014, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
Considering they spent the time and money to construct the AT overpass you think they could've gone one step further and built a vehicle overpass too. With right turn lanes only onto CPT.

But let's not forget, this was done by the same city that planned an at-grade intersection at CPT/Rothesay and only crumbled under significant public pressure to put in the underpass. This is why I don't believe that even one of those interchanges for the new extension will be part of the initial build.

I guess somehow here it makes more sense to build an expressway, then close it off completely for a year or two to build the interchange(s) at a later time.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 4:06 AM

There's a Chief Peguis Trail extension Workshop coming up in a few weeks that I'm signed up to attend.

I drew up some plans of what I would ideally like to see of the Chief Peguis Trail extension:

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 4:55 AM

sadly mc phillips and chief is a diamond design... not interchanges will be built they are all future though

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 6:01 PM

Your ideas are not bad but it seems there will be no way to get to Chief from certain directions or from Chief to certain streets in 1 direction, so it's not exactly ideal. Furthermore I think a major point of all construction projects is to minimize traffic issues during construction. creating on overpass on McPhillips and similarly creating an overpass on Chief at Main would create colossal traffic nightmares, especially at Chief and Main. Sure it would be ideal, but not for traffic during construction. If anything, an overpass at McPhillips would be good, but on extension, not on McPhillips, to minimize traffic flow problems. Also a cloverleaf at Leila seems completely unnecessary unless they plan on making Leila 2 lanes in both directions.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Your ideas are not bad but it seems there will be no way to get to Chief from certain directions or from Chief to certain streets in 1 direction, so it's not exactly ideal.
What do you mean you can't get into CPT from all directions? Sure you can.

One of the main reasons I think they should go with the "Folded Diamond Interchange" pattern on Main is because it puts all the ramps on one side of the street (the undeveloped side) yet still allows traffic coming from both sides of Main to go either direction down Chief Peguis Trail, or for people on Chief peguis to exit out onto Main and head either direction. Its just like the interchange at Henderson & The perimeter, where because of the River, they used a folded interchange there as well yet it allows traffic to go any way.

Same deal with a Parclo for McPhillips. It's safer than a cloverleaf (no weaving). They are used extensively on Stoney Trail in Calgary.

As for Leila, yeah it might be a bit overkil for now, that one could go either way.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 1:13 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

That Parclo on McPhillips is also similar to the one on Bishop Grandin and Pembina.

Although I'd make CPT and Leila into a diamond interchange only, since we don't know if Leila will go beyond CPT.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 12:48 PM
Ignore these four words.

How do you get on CPT west bound while on Main St. north bound?

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
Main Street isn't free flowing in this example. It's just like Henderson and the Perimeter - two intersections on Main, free flowing CPT.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Also a cloverleaf at Leila seems completely unnecessary unless they plan on making Leila 2 lanes in both directions.
Can't see the pictures due to issues on my end.

Keep in mind when considering intersection design that the long term vision is CPT will be free flowing from Oak Bank to St Francis Xavier. All diamonds would then see traffic on the other route (ie McPhillips, Main St) stopped.

That said, I think the plan is the traffic from Lelia and Keewatin to be merged before they join CPT. Even then the traffic is primarily going to be to/from residential at that point making a diamond with CPT free flowing far more appropriate.

In terms of Main St. the southeast corner is the only spot where there is a site constraint which would cause issues for a north bound to west bound exit. In terms of construction of any grade separation, the angles of CPT due to the river crossing strongly suggest Main St will go over CPT.

For McPhillips, as the site is largely undeveloped hopefully they do large setbacks and plan bridge spans for support a conversion to a full interchange if they initially build a diamond. It would also be wonderful to see some long merge lanes there.

One of my concerns with CPT though is that Gateway should have been a diamond from day one. Also on CCW, which is part of CPT, there is an at-grade train crossing.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 3:00 PM

Do they have a firm timeline for the extension?

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 4:29 PM

^^ CPT west extension was fast tracked for 2016 by the previous council. The Headingly by-pass part of the route appears to be gearing up for this summer. The Lag-Perimeter leg still seems to be in the future concept stages and the Perimeter-206 run I don't think has ever advanced beyond a general concept and maybe some early studies on traffic volumes and source/destination.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 7:43 PM

Anybody actually believe that any of these intersections will be anything but traffic light controlled? I mean cmon...they didn't even build a diamond at Henderson when they built the Henderson-Lag extension. Just for that reason alone I have severe doubts that even one interchange is ever built on the west extension.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Anybody actually believe that any of these intersections will be anything but traffic light controlled? I mean cmon...they didn't even build a diamond at Henderson when they built the Henderson-Lag extension. Just for that reason alone I have severe doubts that even one interchange is ever built on the west extension.
Agreed. If there are any grade separations, it will be one max, either at Main or at McPhillips. The city just doesn't have the scratch to build them, and the province isn't interested.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 9:30 PM

Oh they are working on the extension of Canada Parkway around Headingly right now?

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 10:13 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
If you take the example of Perimeter and Henderson, there will be two traffic lights at the T-intersections, but Perimeter going free flow.

It's a compromise, to say the least.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Main Street isn't free flowing in this example. It's just like Henderson and the Perimeter - two intersections on Main, free flowing CPT.
Exactly. And Reignman: yes I agree, based on the fact that the bridge for Chief Peguis over the Red River is so close to Main, it would make sense to keep the grade of Chief Peguis high and put it OVER Main street, otherwise it would be too extreme of a grade-change so quickly after going over the river.

So essentailly There'd be two sets of lights on Main Street for the entry/exit ramps on both the North/South sides of CPT that would curve up and around to the top to get onto CPT. Exiting traffic off CPT to Main would take these loops ramps DOWN to Main street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan