HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 4:16 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Actually, looking at the model, if the building was built with that sort of copper finish tone, I think it has the potential of looking REALLY good, despite all the brown in Boise. While this project may not look the best in the skyline NOW, I think in the future when several other towers and developments are built, along with the convention center, this definately could cohese the Boise skyline into something far bigger and brighter than it is now.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 6:57 AM

I think that they should tone down some of the amusement park-esque accents to the design(the red thing along the side of the building on the outside, the blue on the inside, etc.) but keep the copper finish on the outside of the building because I also think that the finish does have the ability to look pretty cool when finished. Another thing that does have me excited is the possible height, and the balance that JUMP will bring to the skyline.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Desko also said the four blocks will be much more open and connected to downtown than the drawing released to date shows.
With the new model released I was hoping to see the much more open and connected design. The only difference I see is that they have added grass to the top of the parking garage, which I must say is a very good improvement, though not what was implied or expected.

I actually like the main building with its mass, angles and depth. It's the several block ring of parking garages that need a little more character. I would really like to see the use of copper because while still in the dirt family, it stands above the rest, and provides a higher level of sophistication than brown stucco paneling. Maybe they can throw some up on the back of the Aspen while they're at it.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
Maybe they can throw some up on the back of the Aspen while they're at it.
This!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 6:53 AM
Always running Late

I really love the aspen.. but the back side is strangly ugly and what is most disheartening is that that is the side facing where most skyline photos are taken...which begs me to wonder how that flew under the radar of design review??
They could still cover the walls with glass like on the north side and it would make all the difference in the world...
I'm really getting sick of developers in boise half-assing it... and causing ugly shit to be up in the air to be looked upon as "our city"..
I hope that great taller proposals are in the works so that some of the mistakes in the 200 ft range aren't as pronounced as they are now..
but I just look at the north side and think what a beautiful addition to boise.. and then when I drive down capital blvd towards the capital building and see the south side I wonder.. who f*cked this part up?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 10:22 PM

Does anyone think that form what we can gather based on the early renderings that this project has a Frank Gehry look to it? I don't mean to be a downer but anything designed by Frank Gehry is crass, a jumbled mess and looks like a little kid used lincoln logs and blocks and legos to put together a building. I really think the renderings posted are very preliminary and will morph as time and design meetings progress. There are some people on this forum that would gladly lick and sniff Gehry but I don't see the appeal. On another note, I think the back side of The Aspen looks industrial/modern/ and ok although I wish it would have been cloaked in glass as the front is.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 1:43 AM

Yikes..comparing anything to Gehry is fighting words to the comparable architect. haha. Personally I think JUMP looks much more like the BSU skyboxes than anything by Gehry, even though I can see what you are getting at.

BSU Skyboxes:

By Greg Sims: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...HMPy-QbizazXDw

Gehry:

http://www.househunting.ca/decoratin...b-523f581adba4

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 12:23 AM

I don't mind the Bronco Stadium skybox. Though I still liked the original proposal better. Where the floors went all the way down instead of the structure having stilts.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 2:48 AM

I don't mind it either, I think it looks pretty sweet. Like you, I think the original proposal was better but whatever. My comparison was meant complimentary.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 12:32 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
There are some people on this forum that would gladly lick and sniff Gehry
That comment made me laugh out loud. I actually don't mind Gehry, I think there's some stuff that he's done that isn't too bad, but I do agree when you say that the appeal isn't entirely there.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 3:08 PM

Boise Weekly flickr set of the lot JUMP will be built on and the buildings that will be torn down soon to make way for the project.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boisewe...93422969/show/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 4:52 PM

I had no idea we had rails going through that flat lot.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolf View Post
I had no idea we had rails going through that flat lot.
I think that may be the lot that the old downtown depot was on. Maybe one of our forumers who knows Boise's history might be able to answer this.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I think that may be the lot that the old downtown depot was on. Maybe one of our forumers who knows Boise's history might be able to answer this.
I'm guessing it was just remnants of an old warehouse with a very short spur, but I don't know for sure.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Trees View Post
I'm guessing it was just remnants of an old warehouse with a very short spur, but I don't know for sure.
Does it go up to the warehouse thats still on the block?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolf View Post
Does it go up to the warehouse thats still on the block?
I don't think so.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 6:08 PM
Always running Late

wasnt there a spur from the bench that crossed the river near the connector?
and where were the old railroad yards? were they in this area of downtown?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
wasnt there a spur from the bench that crossed the river near the connector?
and where were the old railroad yards? were they in this area of downtown?
Yeah, it's the red bridge that's now a Greenbelt spur leading up to Garden Street and ending at Orchard.

The rail yard stretched from 16th to 11th immediately south of Front, I believe. It might have stretched to 9th, but all the rails were east/west, where this one was north/south.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 3:28 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Trees View Post
Yeah, it's the red bridge that's now a Greenbelt spur leading up to Garden Street and ending at Orchard.

The rail yard stretched from 16th to 11th immediately south of Front, I believe. It might have stretched to 9th, but all the rails were east/west, where this one was north/south.
That is correct. The rail yard paralleled Front St from about 15th to 5th St. The rail line continued east across Broadway and eventually into the Barber Valley (Harris Ranch area), bisecting the Warm Springs golf course along the way, and ending just east of Eckert Rd. (At one point, it went all the way to Arrowrock Dam, and was used to supply materials for the construction of the dam.)

It was the abandonment of this downtown rail line the allowed for the construction of the Connector to proceed.

The rails seen in the picture on the Flikr link above is what's left of a spur that once ran down the middle of 10th St, ending at River St.

Remember that the BoDo area was originally a warehouse district. At one time, there were several spurs running south of Front St, connecting to the loading docks of these warehouses. Two of these spurs ran down the alleys between Capital Blvd, 8th St and 9th St. That is why the old Fosters Bldg is curved on one side. It is where the rail spur curved and headed south down the alley between 8th and 9th streets.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 12:20 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I am so curious to find out what the blue thing is. If demolation on the current structures is happening after Christmas then I would think that more details will be coming out soon about this project.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West