HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 1:27 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahran View Post
I walked by Mission Bay South today and noticed the BRE Properties has signs all over block 5 that there will be apartments in 2014. This may have been shared before but it's worth noting that BRE bought back blocks 5 & 11 for block 12E from BOSA. Looks like construction should commence soon.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...-deal-bre.html
great news, thanks sahran! the signs must have just gone up last Friday, since I didn't notice them Thursday morning when I went to check out the new neurosciences courtyard

Old Posted May 20, 2012, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
great news, thanks sahran! the signs must have just gone up last Friday, since I didn't notice them Thursday morning when I went to check out the new neurosciences courtyard
Here's a doc about Block 5 from back in December of 2011:

http://www.sfredevelopment.org/Modul...ocumentid=3525

It has a pretty nice overview as well as the material palette. Looks like it'll be a pretty colorful project.

Last edited by 1977; May 21, 2012 at 3:36 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 12:11 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Here's a doc from back in December of 2011 about block 5:

http://www.sfredevelopment.org/Modul...ocumentid=3525

It has a pretty nice overview as well as the material palette. Looks like it'll be a pretty colorful project.
Interesting--thanks 1977!

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 6:48 AM

a few shots from this evening, since I did not get out this weekend...

the hospital as seen from Fourth:

... and as seen from Third and Mariposa on the southeast:

the panels on the hospital parking garage:

the new walkway on the west side of the neurosciences building, looking north:

and looking south:

and Potrero Launch is finally starting to peek out of its shroud:

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 3:51 AM

Looking great, timbad!

On the subject of the Neuroscience building, UCSF has received a $20 million challenge grant from the Sandler Foundation to name the building. It brings the Sandlers' total gifts to UCSF to over $100 million.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2012/05/120...d-care-sandler

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 5:07 AM

building the bunker

here's a shot from this evening of the public safety building site, with the Nimitz-class USS Madrone in the background

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 5:23 AM

and here's a shot looking at the SE corner of Fourth and Channel (block 2, with block 3 behind it). fairly soon, for the first time, it's going to start to feel like there is something there, and I think the fact that your gaze is interrupted with this mass from various critical angles as you enter MB from the north will go a long way toward making the whole thing feel more tangible (not to mention framing Fourth, with the help of block 5 and ... where are you, block 13?).

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 6:21 AM

Nice pics, as always, timbad.

Just wanted to add that I drove by Mission Bay on 280 at night for the first time in a while, and for all the shit we like to give the neighborhood for being boring, sterile, too short, etc...it sure looks pretty good from the freeway at night. It may not be a neighborhood of highrises, or amazing architecture, but there's something about those massive, densely packed, modern mid-rise buildings, especially when all lit up at night, that is quite impressive in my opinion. And the neighborhood isn't even close to done yet. I can't wait to see what it looks like when the rest is filled in, especially seawall lot 337.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 7:21 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Cool photos.

Potrero Launch looks even more impressive from Illinois Street.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 2:03 PM

Strada has picked up the hotel site, the triangular piece of land along the channel between Third and Fourth. They're planning a $220 million project with a combo of hotel, residential, and retail. Don't have access, so can't see other details:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...bay-hotel.html

Very high profile site in the neighborhood as the entrance to southern MB on both Third and Fourth, as well as the only spot planned for hotel use.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Strada has picked up the hotel site, the triangular piece of land along the channel between Third and Fourth. They're planning a $220 million project with a combo of hotel, residential, and retail. Don't have access, so can't see other details:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...bay-hotel.html

Very high profile site in the neighborhood as the entrance to southern MB on both Third and Fourth, as well as the only spot planned for hotel use.
A few other details:

Quote:
The land deal also triggers the start of the design of one of the remaining portions of Mission Creek Park. Mission Bay Development Group will seek a landscape architect to design a 2.4-acre park between the Third Street and Fourth Street bridges along Mission Creek.
Quote:
There are currently 1,000 units of housing at some stage of development in Mission Bay with another 600 units likely to be under way in the next year. Most of that housing will be completed by 2014 when Stada is hoping to be under construction.
Also, the hotel will most likely be around 250 rooms instead of the zoned 500.

Quote:
“I wouldn’t do more than 250 rooms there,” said Elgonemy. “The sweet spot for hotels to cover fixed expenses is between 180 and 250 rooms. Why build a bigger hotel when you can’t fill it? Build a smaller hotel, you’ll have higher occupancy and higher room rate, and then use the remaining land to create residential and retail to give the project that 24/7 buzz.”
Source: www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco

Also, from Socketsite:

Source: www.socketsite.com

Quote:
Zoned for a 500-room hotel and 50,000 square feet of retail, the rendering above was developed as a concept for Farallon Capital Management which has sold the Mission Bay Block 1 site to Strada Investment Group which plans to build a hotel, retail and residential.
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...block_one.html

I hope they retain the height shown in the rendering. Not huge, but significant for the area...at least currently.

Last edited by 1977; May 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 7:54 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
here's a shot from this evening of the public safety building site, with the Nimitz-class USS Madrone in the background
Ha ha! Too funny, timbad!

Glad to hear Block 1 in the news. I wonder what their timeline might be?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 25, 2012, 8:30 PM
testify

i'm guessing stada will have no problem getting approvals for shifting a good 2/3 of the hotel portion into more residential as long as they don't go overboard on the additional parking. 50,000 sq/f of retail is pretty nice, that sounds to me like a retail wrap, which can only help the area.

Old Posted May 26, 2012, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Potrero Launch looks even more impressive from Illinois Street.
I'm almost never down there in the morning when the light would be best to get it from the Illinois side, but to tide us over... this is looking north:

and south:

I'm sort of intrigued by the little notch created by the setback of the old brick building (which is available) on the corner (on the right side of the photo) - I keep imagining café patio seating or something there (café since it would be in shadow by afternoon I think)

reminder that across the street from this is Pier 70

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 1:20 AM

The VA is taking 40,000 square feet at 1700 Owens at the corner of 16th for a research center. I assume this is the Sirna space that was vacated by Merck when it shut down that unit last year.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...ssion-bay.html

Remember that the VA has been looking at what they might be able to do at Mission Bay. I seem to remember that they had expressed interest in what became the Salesforce campus blocks, and which are now up in the air again. The VA had also put in a bid on the Pier 70 revamp. So there may yet be more to come from them in the area if they can get a hold of space.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 11:58 PM

This is all looking really good. I can't wait to see it filled with people. I definitely wouldn't mind a few more like the hotel rendering on the Strada property, but I agree with Tech12, I kinda like the look of all the mid-rises. Also mid rises can feel more comfortable for peds, which I'm hoping this will be a destination for foot traffic. I think if the retail focuses on a good amount of bars and restaurants they can snatch up the post game Giants fan crowd easy.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2012, 5:01 PM

MB activity

There is a lot of activity going on in MB now which is great to see. Looks like Block 5 should get going soon, and I've read that Block 13 (the mercy housing project) is supposed to finally get going sometime this month.

I was wondering if anyone had heard anymore information on when the Bayfront park project will finally start up? I have searched but found nothing. I was hoping it would start this summer, but don't know if it's been delayed any further. Also, we've seen the designs for Block 7, but has anyone read when that project may actually be scheduled to start?

Lastly, any more updates on any additional park projects? I know most of them coincide with when the residential projects get built around them. So, I would assume the childrens park gets built along with Block 5, the next section of the commons wouldn't get built until block 7 goes up, etc. What about p9 and P7 down by the 280 overpass? It would really be a shame if that areas remains undeveloped for several more years.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady73 View Post
There is a lot of activity going on in MB now which is great to see. Looks like Block 5 should get going soon, and I've read that Block 13 (the mercy housing project) is supposed to finally get going sometime this month.
and socketsite just had a new blurb about block 13!

more renderings

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 5:38 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
and socketsite just had a new blurb about block 13!

more renderings
This looks too good to be true!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 4:37 PM
Only Mostly Dead

That really does look nice. It seems like most of the BMR housing built in the last several years has been really fantastic (thinking about Tenderloin infill mostly).

Brady73 - though you've been a member for over a year, welcome to the (posting part of the) community. Hope you'll continue to participate! You raise a good question about the bayfront park. I'm sure timbad will be all over it if something gets started there.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development