HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 38 48.72%
NO 40 51.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 12:24 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
I agree that NE is pretty auto-oriented and light rail might work better especially if it branches out in the way that the trolleys do in west philly. The main trunk ROW could be down the middle of the Roosevelt Blvd. The one thing though is that would ridership be higher with a single heavy rail line that directly integrates with the BSL, or a light rail system that merely provides a free interchange? Not really sure. It's too bad that the outer two tracks on the BSL can't be easily converted to light rail; it would open the doors to a lot of usage if you were able to create branches off the main subway trunk similar to the west philly trolleys. The center two tracks could remain as they are as a heavy rail rapid transit system. The BSL is so underutilized if you take in account its infrastructure (a 4-track tunnel).

Should probably add a RR expansion out to Allentown/Bethlehem to the list. I think SEPTA is already working on an extension to Quakertown, but it would see so much more usage going all the way to the existing stations in Bethlehem and Allentown.

I'd also love to see some sort of cultural corridor usage of the city branch line, even if it's BRT. It could make sense as light rail though, terminal at broad street is right next to the old 23 trolley line that goes down 11/12. Or it could tunnel a couple blocks and re-purpose the spur, since it really isn't used/redundant to transferring at city hall. It just seems like a waste that SEPTA isn't using it for anything.
Hellertown is a thorn in any expansion to the heart of the Lehigh Valley. I would like to see SEPTA restore the Stony Creek Branch between Norristown and Lansdale and service to West Chester , Oxford , Pottsville , 103 and 104 Trolleys....23, 50,56 ,60 trolleys.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 9:13 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Hellertown is a thorn in any expansion to the heart of the Lehigh Valley. I would like to see SEPTA restore the Stony Creek Branch between Norristown and Lansdale and service to West Chester , Oxford , Pottsville , 103 and 104 Trolleys....23, 50,56 ,60 trolleys.
Not sure how likely any extension to Oxford would be. The tracks linking the Kennett Square-Oxford line with the Media Elwyn line have been removed...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:24 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Not sure how likely any extension to Oxford would be. The tracks linking the Kennett Square-Oxford line with the Media Elwyn line have been removed...
ROW is somewhat intact and used for high voltage power lines.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 1:53 PM
Leftist Correctist

The absence of tracks from long dormant row's isn't really an issue as new tracks would be built anyways. All that matters is if the row is intact, errosion has not damaged it, the quantity of bridges if they exist at all that may or may not need to be addressed...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

What's the deal with Hellertown? Do they not want rail, or do they use the old ROW as a trail? Or both? I thought I read somewhere that septa still owns it.

I agree with all the other restoration ideas, especially the trolleys. I'd rather see them come back as more of a light rail operation though. Also, if the RR can't go all the way out to pottsville, at least to reading should be restored. I know NS would be an issue, but wasn't the reading mainline 4 tracks?

Honestly, I think there should be a line connecting the Lehigh valley with Reading and Harrisburg and possible tying in with NJ transit at Easton. It seems to be a pretty populated corridor.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 3:04 PM
Leftist Correctist

In a normal country this would already be reality

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation