HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Today, 12:13 AM

I'd guess that the fruit and vegetable stand was on the NE corner of Western Avenue and Imperial Hwy., then known as
114th St. The smaller sign at the top appears to have "Los Angeles" under its left-facing arrow, which must point north.
I think I can make out "Torrance" and "Redondo Beach," to the south, just above the right-facing arrow.

From Western and Imperial, it's about a mile east to Vermont and 1/2 mile west to the Belle View Country Club, as it's
called on the 1930 Inglewood USGS Map below (about where Van Ness is now). The north/south streets at the left and
right sides below are Prairie and Western, respectively. Cypress Avenue, the middle north/south street, must now be
Crenshaw. Just to the left of Cypress near the map's center, 114th Street is marked:

old file probably from US Geological Survey website

Old Posted Today, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

The Bellevue Golf Course made it onto this 1932 tourist map. I notice that the word "Public" is missing from its title, but I assume it's the same place.

www.historicmapworks.com
Further south on this map, Royal Palms Country Club can be seen just above the Point Firmin Lighthouse.

Interesting account and photo essay here: https://www.avoidingregret.com/2014/...for-royal.html

Despite being a casualty of the depression and closing in 1933, some remnants have survived

Last edited by Bristolian; Today at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Today, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

I'd guess that the fruit and vegetable stand was on the NE corner of Western Avenue and Imperial Hwy., then known as
114th St. The smaller sign at the top appears to have "Los Angeles" under its left-facing arrow, which must point north.
I think I can make out "Torrance" and "Redondo Beach," to the south, just above the right-facing arrow.

From Western and Imperial, it's about a mile east to Vermont and 1/2 mile west to the Belle View Country Club, as it's
called on the 1930 Inglewood USGS Map below (about where Van Ness is now). The north/south streets at the left and
right sides below are Prairie and Western, respectively. Cypress Avenue, the middle north/south street, must now be
Crenshaw. Just to the left of Cypress near the map's center, 114th Street is marked:

old file probably from US Geological Survey website
I have found a 1928 aerial showing Bellevue Public Golf Course.

UCSB Aerials Flight C_300, Frame K-130

Imperial or 114th st. runs left to right across the center of the frame and Western Avenue runs up and down the right side. A little figuring confirms the course to be about 1/2 mile west of Western. Curiously, there are holes both north and south of 114th st.
The fruit stand is too small to show up under magnification but there does appear to be something there at the NE corner of Western & 114th.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos