HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Today, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I would place Sears Tower well above CN Tower, even if it's not Eiffel Tower or Giza pyramids level iconic. I'm not from Chicago, nor do I think I have a Chicago bias, but it's the most well-known building in North America that's not in Manhattan or Washington, D.C.
Even if you aren't conscious of it, you still have an American bias. You're the equivalent of the German or Chinese arguing (honestly and in good faith) that Berlin's or Shanghai's comm tower is clearly much more known than Seattle's.

Old Posted Today, 5:47 PM

Think it's a safe bet that 30+years of being the tallest whatever, hosting many thousands of touristos in a tourist town ... suggest it may have some fame creds.

Guess it's tier 2 according Steely (those pyramids are in bad shape btw ;-).. but c'mon, at least iconic in North America. Most of those tourists were American.

Old Posted Today, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I would place Sears Tower well above CN Tower, even if it's not Eiffel Tower or Giza pyramids level iconic. I'm not from Chicago, nor do I think I have a Chicago bias, but it's the most well-known building in North America that's not in Manhattan or Washington, D.C.
Outside NYC/DC, I think Golden Gate is more globally iconic, though natural surroundings play a role. Ocean Drive art deco, Hollywood sign, Disney World castle and Mt. Rushmore probably too. Chicago skyline overall might be iconic, though.

Willis Tower, while distinctive to anyone with a passing interest in cities, isn't easily recognizable for non urbanists, especially with its intl. style architecture. Anecdotal, but my wife, who is well traveled and highly educated seems unable to distinguish between Hancock and Willis. Every time we're in Chicago she mixes up the two. Two big black boxes with antenna.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions