HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah and it should have a Canal Street exit if possible. Direct office to the post office would be even better (and I think would allow covered access to Union Station as well via a platform).
IIRC the OPO and CUS train platform redesign includes a pedestrian tunnel to Clinton Station from OPO.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
They have a pretty big operations center in Naperville.
Ok, didn't realize that. What do they do there?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 7:38 PM

[QUOTE=spyguy;8405848]

I love the way the building seems to levitate.

That appendage needs to be redesigned because it looks lazy.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
If you are talking about the hue differences on the faceted portion of the rendering it almost certainly is not different glass color; that is just light and shadow.

To that end, silver glass is just going to look blue anyways. Unless it has a very strong color profile most glass going to look blue in a ton of lighting conditions. Hand wringing over blue glass is pretty pointless in that regard.
That would be great if it’s light and shadow, much like the design of the west facade on 110 N Wacker, but judging by where the glass meets the “column trees”, it appears flush throughout.

Regarding my hand wrignging over the blue glass, I’m just envious of all the facade treatments that NYC’s boom is seeing . Silver, black, clear, bronze, terra cotta...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:24 AM

I'm so happy they got rid of those awkward X-braces. The V braces look way better. This building taking out the worst parking garage in downtown makes this one of the best projects of the cycle, and that's whether or not the glass is mixed between black and silver/clear

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:18 AM
DENNAB

Ooh I love it

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
I'm so happy they got rid of those awkward X-braces. The V braces look way better. This building taking out the worst parking garage in downtown makes this one of the best projects of the cycle, and that's whether or not the glass is mixed between black and silver/clear
V braces might look better than X braces but from a engendering view point there are too many stresses on the mid V sections unless there is a thick steel I beam headers above the pic to alleviate that.
But even a thick header does not explain the lack of support at all 4 corners of the building unless the core is taking the load and it is just a cantilever building.

One should not put stresses in the middle of the V without making them worthy of the load.

IMO There has to be an unseen component of those Y braces from the top from prevent them from buckling the Y braces from expanding outward.

We wont know the real details and may never will unless someone has blueprints. But I am sure that it is compensated because no firm would do such a thing taking esthetics over form and function if it was not 300 years safe. But the pic looks unstable from the perspective of a lay viewer.

You just can't get away from downward and outward pressure on a V triangle brace in the middle if it is not mitigated and I am sure it will be but the pics do not show the beefing up needed.

The more I look at the pic the more I see the core handling down pressure and it being a cantilever building and the outside supports are just flourish unlike the JHC building that needed X braces for function alone.

Last edited by bnk; Dec 13, 2018 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
V braces might look better than X braces but from a engendering view point there are too many stresses on the mid V sections unless there is a thick steel I beam headers above the pic to alleviate that.
But even a thick header does not explain the lack of support at all 4 corners of the building unless the core is taking the load and it is just a cantilever building.

The more I look at the pic the more I see the core handling down pressure and it being a cantilever building and the outside supports are just flourish unlike the JHC building that needed X braces for function alone.
I'm not following all of this. The triangle sections can easily be supported at the midpoint in an invisible fashion because there is a whole floor structure to brace them right there. The corners are only 25' cantilevers, which is not out of the range of possibility, especially if there is a hanger coming down from the nearest corner column above. A lot of buildings omit the corner supports as you can more efficiently do a half bay cantilever and have corner offices without a column.

And the serrated curtainwall appears to be real, versus an applied pattern as you can see the profile reflected in the edge of the cantilever's ceiling.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:07 AM
BANNED

^I see it now. Thanks. Going to be beautiful.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^I see it now. Thanks. Going to be beautiful.
This is now redundant I suppose; in case others aren't sure you can see the folds in the glass along the lobby ceiling and angular shadows where the column trees span the folded glass. As spyguy noted, quite viceroy like.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:51 PM

Quote:

One should not put stresses in the middle of the V without making them worthy of the load.

IMO There has to be an unseen component of those Y braces from the top from prevent them from buckling the Y braces from expanding outward.

We wont know the real details and may never will unless someone has blueprints. But I am sure that it is compensated because no firm would do such a thing taking esthetics over form and function if it was not 300 years safe. But the pic looks unstable from the perspective of a lay viewer.

You just can't get away from downward and outward pressure on a V triangle brace in the middle if it is not mitigated and I am sure it will be but the pics do not show the beefing up needed.

these really aren't structural "V"'s, the architects just haven't chosen to represent any of the horizontal structure architecturally (also commonly referred to as floors which are indeed cantilevered at the corners)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:04 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I'm not following. RBC has nothing to do with Harris Bank.

Bob could have also just kept it to BMO, as they are also anchoring a new building in downtown Milwaukee.....

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:13 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon07 View Post
What I like most about it is that it will beef up the SW loop skyline. I think it will really pop when you are driving West on 94 (really north in that spot) that section of the loop can use some more towers to bulk things up a bit.

Same....that’s my favorite part as well. GP does fine work, and the details will be nice....it will likely be a nice, well-executed tower in its own right....however they’re repetitive af and I’d be fine with going a decade without another new GP office tower downtown after this one.....frankly, part of the reason I’m looking forward to Salesforce Tower so much is that it’s not designed by GP. (That and judging by how PCP’s neighboring WPE is shaping up, it’s likely going to be very sharp as well).

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:38 PM

I am dubbing this the World Wide Web building due to it being impossible to not see WWW in the bracing after you notice it.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:14 PM

Maybe they are upside down BMO insignias

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:57 PM

It would be cool if the v shapes continued up the building instead of straightening out. Oh well. Interesting base boring everything else.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:54 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
That would be great if it’s light and shadow, much like the design of the west facade on 110 N Wacker, but judging by where the glass meets the “column trees”, it appears flush throughout.

Regarding my hand wrignging over the blue glass, I’m just envious of all the facade treatments that NYC’s boom is seeing . Silver, black, clear, bronze, terra cotta...
You hit it right on the head. This tower is repetitive and banal. Chicago is not innovating the next generation of towers. NYC is doing that with the silver, black, clear, bronze, and terra cotta. At the very least, wouldn't it be great if they used bronze mullions on this tower? Blue and silver is already so sterile and cold. With our winters we could use some warmth in our buildings and diverse textures.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:00 AM

Quote:

You seem to be overlooking the simple fact that the support structure can go well underneath street level...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 5:21 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
You hit it right on the head. This tower is repetitive and banal. Chicago is not innovating the next generation of towers. NYC is doing that with the silver, black, clear, bronze, and terra cotta. At the very least, wouldn't it be great if they used bronze mullions on this tower? Blue and silver is already so sterile and cold. With our winters we could use some warmth in our buildings and diverse textures.
It could have been more interesting I guess but I love the last rendering. The facade and lobby look really cool, and I'm digging the purple ish-color

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I am dubbing this the World Wide Web building due to it being impossible to not see WWW in the bracing after you notice it.
I'm getting vibes of West Virginia. Country roads. Mountain mama. West Virginia. Take me home. To the place. I belong.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive