HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 10:08 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I really hope both the LA Grand and WTC towers are built as-is - though I would hope for retail on the WTC tower.

Regarding the redevelopment of the parking garage (which is under the podium) of Union Bank Plaza, that's possible, but would take a transfer of air rights from the Convention Center. As it stands right now, I'm pretty sure it's using the full FAR of the site, which is different than the WTC site. That being said, I would LOVE to see a good architectural team who's adept at mid-century modern updates to design a tower that both pays homage to the original design while looking forward at the same time.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:50 AM

No ones gonna refuse a new tallest tower, but I'd prefer that new proposal on Fig if it were more like 50-65 floors. It's just too bland to serve as the new icon of the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityOfDreams View Post
apparently you didn't read my post Brudy... My point stands that the grit and rawness of Downtown Los Angeles are one of the key variables leading to its renaissance, and should be embraced ... The same thing that many here seem to want: a clean sterile downtown are the exact things that have left Brooklyn cooler than Manhattan, and Oakland cooler than SF, and on the adverse have left the sterile shells of cities past elitist and exclusive.
I have to disagree with you. I think Santee Alley is great. But swap meet and jewelry stores where you sit on the ground floor of these beautiful historic buildings in the Historic Core and the Financial District and let them rot away decade after decade is unacceptable. They along with the owners of these buildings need to go. Over a million sq feet of empty space above these swap meet stores along Broadway alone is totally unacceptable. Look at all the old historic buildings that have been beautifully restored under the Adaptable Reuse Initiative. The NoMad Hotel is a fine example. Jewelry stores along 7th St are disappearing and I'm quite happy because again, the old historic bldgs are getting new ownership and new life.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
No ones gonna refuse a new tallest tower, but I'd prefer that new proposal on Fig if it were more like 50-65 floors. It's just too bland to serve as the new icon of the skyline.
I agree but what helps me sleep better at night is the idea that if anything, it will just serve as short term "tallest" that anchors the north/west corner of downtown. We all know for sure that eventually something taller will get built somewhere closer to Broadway as downtown new development starts to crawl eastward away from the fig corridor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post

Speaking of things that need to be replaced. Lets look at the suburban office park to the right of the new proposal. "The Park DTLA" or whatever its called. I remember it being brought up a few years ago after it got a semi face lift and people praised it. Yeah yeah, blah blah, it needs to go ! its time. The entire block needs to be torn down and densified. Residential or mixed use. Could easily hold 3 dense towers adding thousands of units. So close to the metro they could cut parking.

Last edited by caligrad; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I agree but what helps me sleep better at night is the idea that if anything, it will just serve a short term "tallest" that anchors the north/west corner of downtown. We all know for sure that eventually something taller will get built somewhere closer to Broadway as downtown new development starts to crawl eastward away from the fig corridor.

Speaking of things that need to be replaced. Lets look at the suburban office park to the right of the new proposal. "The Park DTLA" or whatever its called. I remember it being brought up a few years ago after it got a semi face lift and people praised it. Yeah yeah, blah blah, it needs to go ! its time. The entire block needs to be torn down and densified. Residential or mixed use. Could easily hold 3 dense towers adding thousands of units. So close to the metro they could cut parking.
Maybe someone can build a new tallest at the 504 S Hill St parking lot. With Pershing Square across the street, Pershing Square station adjacent and the proposed Jenna-like skyscraper just north of the lot, someone could pull off an iconic supertall with its roof height topping off at 1,300 ft and a 300 ft spire topping at 1,600 ft altogether. Go big or go home. It's a shame Los Angeles doesn't step up when it comes to supertalls.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
How do yall think this plays out?

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...114-story.html

We still need more housing here though!
This is still in the fishing expedition stage of FBI investigation so hard to say how it will play out.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2019, 11:16 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Stumbled upon these today. They're from the same angles as the renderings we've previously seen, but I thought you guys would like them anyway.

instagram / skyscraperengineering

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 4:33 AM

^ Phenomenally nice!! Thanks man!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
This is still in the fishing expedition stage of FBI investigation so hard to say how it will play out.
How long is usually an FBI investigation, especially in a case like this?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Stumbled upon these today. They're from the same angles as the renderings we've previously seen, but I thought you guys would like them anyway.

I was looking at the tower's amenities on the presentation the representative was suppose to give (or already gave). There will also be LED lighting on the vertical fins of the towers so this should look something similar to the Devon Energy Center in OKC or the Duke Energy Center in Charlotte, NC.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 5:01 PM

Lightbulb

^^^ I like it as is. Hope they don't change it much. Sleek. Slender. Would compliment the WG tower very nicely. Now all we need to do is densify the northern end of fig. From this project to the faux Palmers need to be densified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
How long is usually an FBI investigation, especially in a case like this?
If I were to have an uneducated guess based on comparison to what we've all seen on TV with how political cases are being handled. Years? The guy who owns the car wash site is still under investigation apparently 4 years later for his money laundering ties. By the time this thing concludes, Huizar will be out of office and this thing, hopefully, will either be under construction. Fingers crossed .

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 5:22 AM

Has anyone heard any rumblings regarding 340 S. Hill?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 8:14 PM

^^^Oddly no. Which is weird since it was proposed 4 years ago. Projects proposed before and after have either already started construction or are close to breaking ground. This one seems pretty basic in the design area, not sure what the hold up is.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^Oddly no. Which is weird since it was proposed 4 years ago. Projects proposed before and after have either already started construction or are close to breaking ground. This one seems pretty basic in the design area, not sure what the hold up is.
The hold-up is that a scion of the Chandler family sued to block this project because he claims it ruins the view of Bunker Hill from his loft. [The irony being that, regardless of this tower, the Angles Flight tower will now definitely block his views.]

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 12:13 AM
LADevelopmentMap.com

^^ could we get a roof that isn't flat please?!

Between this and Angels Knoll, they're really not trying to redefine the skyline, are they?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
The hold-up is that a scion of the Chandler family sued to block this project because he claims it ruins the view of Bunker Hill from his loft. [The irony being that, regardless of this tower, the Angles Flight tower will now definitely block his views.]
Someone needs to sue him. Who in their right mind does SH** like this ???? "It blocks my view of bunker hill". What judge would agree to this ? We need laws to prevent obstruction like this

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 2:30 AM

Looks like the Lizard hotel on spring is finally moving forward.

https://therealdeal.com/la/2019/01/2...whwVDWTAF_ow6I

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 3:28 AM

^ Now that's an awesome design-love it!!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 4:08 AM
life is good

fire!!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
Looks like the Lizard hotel on spring is finally moving forward.

https://therealdeal.com/la/2019/01/2...whwVDWTAF_ow6I
Looks like the Flintstones could stay there and feel right at home. Paleoarchitecture. Not boring, and the roofline isn't flat, so that is a plus. Too many boxes. Need some spiky roofs. Build it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations