HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Of interest, District Condo on James Ave have sold 14 units that are 635 sq. ft. or less. Most under 600, and 5 of them under 500.
Sure, but it's taken 5 years. All those units have been sold at a loss by now.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
You're thinking of 110 James. First possessions of 132 James were last spring. 39 of 49 units have been sold.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
You're thinking of 110 James. First possessions of 132 James were last spring. 39 of 49 units have been sold.
Sure, but it's all the same development, it's just separated by another project that wasn't able to properly get off the ground. Qualico has been hanging on to those properties for 10 years. They couldn't be deemed a success even with all the Downtown Residential Grant Money that's gone into them.

In any case, owning a 500 square foot condo is a bad idea. You're far better off renting that unit if you want to live there. There are still units in some of the larger developments on Waterfront that have never been sold. It can't be characterized as an area ripe for development.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:44 PM

Quote:
There are still units in some of the larger developments on Waterfront that have never been sold.
There's a couple in Sky, but note that they are by far the largest units, not the small ones.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
There's a couple in Sky, but note that they are by far the largest units, not the small ones.
And others have been fire-saled as incomplete units to people because the developer wasn't interested in finishing them at a greater loss.

But I think we're arguing over minor details. If somebody were looking to develop in the area, the overall picture isn't good. That's largely why there was an entire program dedicated to subsidizing develop in the area that was mostly unsuccessful at meeting its objectives. So much so council tabled the idea of paying people $10K to buy units.

This isn't the hallmark of something that might be used to justify further investment.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
lack of parking

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
lack of parking
The province and the city were supposed to put out an RFP for the parking lot on Amy and it's never come to fruition. In the meantime, the city spent its parkade money from Winnipeg Square on the Chipman's development and there's nobody here willing to take the risk. Apparently Graham was interested in being an equity partner but only until construction completion where somebody would have to buy them out. I don't think we're going to be seeing a parkade in the East Exchange for a long time...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Sure, but it's all the same development, it's just separated by another project that wasn't able to properly get off the ground. Qualico has been hanging on to those properties for 10 years. They couldn't be deemed a success even with all the Downtown Residential Grant Money that's gone into them.

In any case, owning a 500 square foot condo is a bad idea. You're far better off renting that unit if you want to live there. There are still units in some of the larger developments on Waterfront that have never been sold. It can't be characterized as an area ripe for development.
511 River had mostly tiny units around 500 SQF as well with hardly any parking and the layouts are not functional. The bedrooms do not have an outside window. I do not know how these are legal bedrooms but should be dens only. The units are long and skinny.

After 5 years or so, they are still not sold out and one trade on-site told me that job took many extra years to complete and the carrying costs were horrendous.

Qualico have deep pockets and do not really care.

They own the parking lot located at James and Lily and that could have been a parking lot for the condos or they could have built a parkade.

They wanted a free parkade paid for by the city behind the Pumphouse but it was a no-go. A Corporate Welfare fail.

Plus those condos have no river views or any views but a block wall of the adjacent building in the back lane.

Old Warehouses were never meant to be apartments. They were supposed to be torn down after decades of use as they were mainly dry storage.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 9:42 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Qualico went about 110 in the wrong way, they even admitted as much. Too "high end", especially based on a lack of on-site parking.

132 James was done bargain basement and priced accordingly. There is also available parking on their lot on the corner. Not surprisingly, it has sold well. It also has a better street presence, roof patio, and some unique suites as compared to 110 James.

They have something similar planned for the two remaining buildings on Market, but that part of project is delayed for parking. (Although they did all the exterior brick repairs this past summer/fall).

That Market development looks pretty interesting with a LOT of private roof top areas.

These old buildings take time and money, but once finished you have bullet proof housing for many years to come.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 9:43 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Architect View Post
511 River had mostly tiny units around 500 SQF as well with hardly any parking and the layouts are not functional. The bedrooms do not have an outside window. I do not know how these are legal bedrooms but should be dens only.
Building is sprinklered.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 1:33 AM

Small and large spaces in the East Exchange

I would admit purchasing 500 or 600 ft2 condos may not be the best investment today in winnipeg. Renovating these buildings is a great investment today and into the future for oneself and the city ...

The buildings on James, Market and Princess leave me breathless every time I walk into them. The scale and well being is impossible to beat. All over the world urban centres find a way to have old and new.

Yes, it takes lots of money to work on them today but without them we are only left with empty parking lots for people to drive in from the suburbs.

I understand some of you are consultants, architects and builders and see things differently.

I have always view the Exchange from a generational point of view and am very lucky for that. I remember as a boy these buildings full of sewing machines and factories. There are still hundreds of regular folks working in these spaces making things like paper to candy to garbage cans beside the architects and people in black.

Who would ever believe an empty Birts Sadlery beside the Woodbine could transform into one of the best places in the country to get a real espresso? To think hip girls in black would sit in that window and be part of a transformation that had been waiting to happen for 40 years! That my friends,in Winnipeg, is a HUGE change that is irreversible!

I have built hundreds of condos across the country and I can tell you regardless of who ultimately buys them, someone will live in them. That is what's is important.

Watetfront Drive even with its hiccups transformed the Exchange. CV got that right and I am grateful. We may disagree about the style of this building or that one but they are being built. I may not like architect's H2O but I sure respect that he got it built in spite of the huge challenges faced with the city planning department and CV... Bravo! ( bigger windows on the river would have been nice). As a rental project, in the fullness of time I am sure it will be great for his children. That's a generational move although unintentional, will benifit the area and his family.

Cube, while taking way to long to build, was designed in a unique way that does sit very well on the site and will be admired into the future... He too I am sure wished to sell them but if he can hold, it will be for his children too..

Some people have a lot of money and do things because they just want... It's always been that way.

These beautiful historic buildings were put up by affluent people and companies for a reason no question, but they were not afraid to spent more just because they wanted to.

I'm rambling but I have to tell you while sitting having an espresso in Rome, Venice, London or Toronto, I am always comparing it to my coffee at Parlour as I stare out that window in the winter watching humanity walk by. It's as good as it gets! That's the true international urbanism that has finally started to take hold in this area.

We must walk by these buildings and street and enjoy how wonderful they really are.

Enjoy brick and beam instead of drywall, Point Douglas not Osborne Village, Red River instead of U of M.

If anyone needs some beautiful spaces let me know ... I would love for you to share and enjoy them as I have... Many are still looking for new friends!

There are hundreds of great little spaces that need just a little bit of love and attention ... One for each of you and your friends. They are like a puppy, the work is worth the reward!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I would admit purchasing 500 or 600 ft2 condos may not be the best investment today in winnipeg. Renovating these buildings is a great investment today and into the future for oneself and the city ...

The buildings on James, Market and Princess leave me breathless every time I walk into them. The scale and well being is impossible to beat. All over the world urban centres find a way to have old and new.

Yes, it takes lots of money to work on them today but without them we are only left with empty parking lots for people to drive in from the suburbs.

I understand some of you are consultants, architects and builders and see things differently.

I have always view the Exchange from a generational point of view and am very lucky for that. I remember as a boy these buildings full of sewing machines and factories. There are still hundreds of regular folks working in these spaces making things like paper to candy to garbage cans beside the architects and people in black.

Who would ever believe an empty Birts Sadlery beside the Woodbine could transform into one of the best places in the country to get a real espresso? To think hip girls in black would sit in that window and be part of a transformation that had been waiting to happen for 40 years! That my friends,in Winnipeg, is a HUGE change that is irreversible!

I have built hundreds of condos across the country and I can tell you regardless of who ultimately buys them, someone will live in them. That is what's is important.

Watetfront Drive even with its hiccups transformed the Exchange. CV got that right and I am grateful. We may disagree about the style of this building or that one but they are being built. I may not like architect's H2O but I sure respect that he got it built in spite of the huge challenges faced with the city planning department and CV... Bravo! ( bigger windows on the river would have been nice). As a rental project, in the fullness of time I am sure it will be great for his children. That's a generational move although unintentional, will benifit the area and his family.

Cube, while taking way to long to build, was designed in a unique way that does sit very well on the site and will be admired into the future... He too I am sure wished to sell them but if he can hold, it will be for his children too..

Some people have a lot of money and do things because they just want... It's always been that way.

These beautiful historic buildings were put up by affluent people and companies for a reason no question, but they were not afraid to spent more just because they wanted to.

I'm rambling but I have to tell you while sitting having an espresso in Rome, Venice, London or Toronto, I am always comparing it to my coffee at Parlour as I stare out that window in the winter watching humanity walk by. It's as good as it gets! That's the true international urbanism that has finally started to take hold in this area.

We must walk by these buildings and street and enjoy how wonderful they really are.

Enjoy brick and beam instead of drywall, Point Douglas not Osborne Village, Red River instead of U of M.

If anyone needs some beautiful spaces let me know ... I would love for you to share and enjoy them as I have... Many are still looking for new friends!

There are hundreds of great little spaces that need just a little bit of love and attention ... One for each of you and your friends. They are like a puppy, the work is worth the reward!
This post made my day. I too love walking the east Exchange and do it everyday when the weather is reasonable. Walking is the key. I get the sense that area is nearing a tipping point for renewal. hope you add some more condos in the area Labroco if you get a reasonable opportunity.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post

Very well said.

I'll only add that - as a city - we have to be conscientious of what's required of this sort of resurgence. Everything is a tradeoff. If trying to engineer demand and provide development subsidies are something we can afford, are managed well, and have the support of the whole city, then we're on the right path. But if we start making these investments at the expense of existing areas and there's significant backlash, then we have to be considerate of that. Too long we've been of the idea that it's development at all costs only to realize the true costs down the road.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

we cant forget the transformation of sherbrook as well in the last decade.

anyhow
yes! parlour is a tresure i hate coffee my self but i know lots of people that love the stuff and when ever i find travelers i take them there when they are looking for coffee all i know is they have their minds blown... and i wind up with free tea and a quasaunt hehe..
also black pearl is another treasure in our city its on duffern in the north end if people want fresh roasted coffee the 2008 crash was good for winnipeg on so many levels if people only knew

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Very well said.

I'll only add that - as a city - we have to be conscientious of what's required of this sort of resurgence. Everything is a tradeoff. If trying to engineer demand and provide development subsidies are something we can afford, are managed well, and have the support of the whole city, then we're on the right path. But if we start making these investments at the expense of existing areas and there's significant backlash, then we have to be considerate of that. Too long we've been of the idea that it's development at all costs only to realize the true costs down the road.
Waterfront Drive needs a grocer, medical clinic and a Coffee Shop.

And the Duncan Arena painted or torn down. Major Eyesore.

Plus the docks have to be repaired as a minimum.

Centre Venture promised a lot of improvements to this street in 2010 and have done nothing as they did whatever True North wanted for their development across from the MTS Centre.

They feel their work is done in the Waterfront/Exchange.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Architect View Post
Waterfront Drive needs a grocer, medical clinic and a Coffee Shop.

And the Duncan Arena painted or torn down. Major Eyesore.

Plus the docks have to be repaired as a minimum.

Centre Venture promised a lot of improvements to this street in 2010 and have done nothing as they did whatever True North wanted for their development across from the MTS Centre.

They feel their work is done in the Waterfront/Exchange.
Aren't there medical clinics all over? I've lived there for 5 years now and medical clinic is the last thing I'd consider a need. 1 Clinic, City Place, Boyd building, Access Downtown are all nearby. Shoppers in Winnipeg Square is nice and close too. The Sport MB building also has a walk in for "sport" injuries that I've gone to a few times.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 5:38 PM

While on the subject, as a resident I just have no interest in views and eyesores. I face a giant green building and I'm fine with that, I think it's cool that I live right next to a productive steel company.

There's lots of people that don't care about views. I know that's not everyone, but you should be living downtown for the people and the convenience, not for the fantastic views (although that does exist sometimes).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 2:55 PM

If you want to play find a home for a downtown or Exchange area grocery start by finding an available space with around 30,000 sq ft. Ideally it would be located on the main floor and have access to a loading dock. That would give you something similar to Lucky foods in terms of size. Obviously the focus of the dry goods section could change out as needed based on the store and not be Asian focused like Luckys.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If you want to play find a home for a downtown or Exchange area grocery start by finding an available space with around 30,000 sq ft. Ideally it would be located on the main floor and have access to a loading dock. That would give you something similar to Lucky foods in terms of size. Obviously the focus of the dry goods section could change out as needed based on the store and not be Asian focused like Luckys.
1) 323 Edwin 24000ft2 plus 30,000ft2 of parking 50 stalls grade and dock 18ft ceilings.

Or

2) Waterfront Drive and McDonald. 25,000ft2 and 25,000f2 of parking 60 stalls. Grade and dock 24ft ceilings.

Both not perfect but very good. Single and looking for a meaningful long term relationships with the right partner.

its not about lack of a building but rather lack of density!

As I said before, there lots of great spaces but not enough people to take on the commitment or obligation...

I'm starting to feel like the humane society trying to give away a puppy because they certainly are not "dogs".

Old Posted Feb 13, 2015, 6:32 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i thought there was a tenit for edwin?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan