HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 3:26 PM

Maybe I should've put "well underway" in quotations. Meaning they've been working for years on a show suite. It was tongue in cheek.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I have not seen it mentioned but when talk the building redesign came up I asked the obvious question and was told the height of the building will remain the same. Apparently the design is going to change the look of the building some while keeping the overall shape. Of course it is also adding balconies. I wonder how much the addition of the balconies will change the expected price of units.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with the promised grocery store since Sobey's, who looked like they would be involved, has essentially exited from all urban market grocery stores.
I'm sure the Chinese kid off Fiverr who did the new rendering for $25 CAD can provide everybody a Class 'Z' costing inclusive of his time.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I have not seen it mentioned but when talk the building redesign came up I asked the obvious question and was told the height of the building will remain the same. Apparently the design is going to change the look of the building some while keeping the overall shape. Of course it is also adding balconies. I wonder how much the addition of the balconies will change the expected price of units.
This is a dramatic change in the re-design from the concept that was initially released, night and day, excluding whatever other changes they have made to the plans, from a smooth exterior to the addition of outdoor space. How many units and how many floors will be changed will be interesting to see. Balconies will add value but obviously reduce the indoor sq/ft. Major plus for some when considering purchasing units.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I'm sure the Chinese kid off Fiverr who did the new rendering for $25 CAD can provide everybody a Class 'Z' costing inclusive of his time.
Easy on the racism tiger

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
Easy on the racism tiger
How is that racist? Ask any architect in this city who is doing most of the renderings we see: people from China. Otherwise, known as Chinese. Just like you're Canadian no matter how much ignorant context you'd like to co-opt and apply at your discretion.

Easy on the sensitivity, cowboy. Nobody around here is impressed by your knee-jerk sanctimony...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
How is that racist? Ask any architect in this city who is doing most of the renderings we see: people from China. Otherwise, known as Chinese. Just like you're Canadian no matter how much ignorant context you'd like to co-opt and apply at your discretion.

Easy on the sensitivity, cowboy. Nobody around here is impressed by your knee-jerk sanctimony...
Not that what you said was a big deal or particularly offensive, but was that really necessary Simplicity? Why even make the comment about what race the person doing renderings may be. It serves no purpose and makes absolutely no difference what nationality they are. Totally irrelevant.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 4:48 AM

He means Fortress, or whoever, hired a Chinese firm to make that rendering. As in, the job of making that rendering was outsourced to China. As in, they paid a bargain basement price to have someone in China whip up quick and cheap rendering.

That's relevant for a bunch of reasons--there's no actual architectural work behind the rendering, for example--but even without knowing that, did you really think he was slagging some faceless Chinese guy for no reason?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzookz View Post
Not that what you said was a big deal or particularly offensive, but was that really necessary Simplicity? Why even make the comment about what race the person doing renderings may be. It serves no purpose and makes absolutely no difference what nationality they are. Totally irrelevant.
I said it because it's a fact within the industry. For instance, Ray Wan isn't just sourcing renderings from China, he's sourcing architectural drawings. It's also part of the credibility gap that exists when talking about developers like Fortress - they're sourcing renderings from China and passing them off like they're highly developed concepts. If you're offended by the notion of cheap work emanating from China, then you don't know enough about what goes on in China. That doesn't make it racist.

Just like if I said that if you call the TD Bank helpline you're going to get somebody sitting in a cubicle in Chennai and being paid in rupees. That's a fact.

Everybody needs to chill out.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
He means Fortress, or whoever, hired a Chinese firm to make that rendering. As in, the job of making that rendering was outsourced to China. As in, they paid a bargain basement price to have someone in China whip up quick and cheap rendering.

That's relevant for a bunch of reasons--there's no actual architectural work behind the rendering, for example--but even without knowing that, did you really think he was slagging some faceless Chinese guy for no reason?
Are you implying that Chinese people have no faces? 'Cause I'm offended.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 1:06 AM

Interesting how a structure that has become somewhat mythological can cause such unrest and tension amongth the people. Just ignore it..it propably will not come to fruitition. If it does it will be a pleasant surprise.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 6:07 PM
SUSPENDED

Any news? Haven't heard anything from the guys on Fortress about this one in awhile...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearSummer View Post
Any news? Haven't heard anything from the guys on Fortress about this one in awhile...
Latest update was from their newslater in mid Novemeber. When someone commented on their FB page a week later that it looks like the developpment died at the drawing table their response was: "The SkyCity Newsletter sent last week outlines the finalized plans for the Presentation Centre & Model Suite that will be under construction very soon. So this exciting development is definitely still going ahead! Please register here if you would like to receive SkyCity updates as they become available: http://skycitywinnipeg.ca/"

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 7:00 PM

Any minute now!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Any minute now!
lol. I think the space still has a for lease sign up.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 3:12 PM

Let's get real: Winnipeg home sales fell 5% compared to last November while active listings surged almost 30%. Job losses across Manitoba since mid 2014 have now exceeded the last recession. Unsold developer inventory AND units under construction are at all time highs meaning more supply in the pipeline at the worst possible time. If people are willing to bet this development goes ahead in any way remotely resembling the original plans, I will gladly take the opposite side of that bet.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 3:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Graham Construction recently appointed as Construction Manager. Sales Centre expected to start construction in Jan.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 4:45 PM

I'm just curious what the sales features might be. No grocer will touch downtown Winnipeg other than who's already there, so that's out. You'd be living in the middle of the least desirable area of Winnipeg's vast expanse of already undesirable downtown. Vacancy and availability are well above norms in that very area and Glasshouse hasn't even come online, so there's no investor potential.

I'm seriously asking the question because there are those around here who genuinely think this project has merit. Evidently, I'm missing something. What would be a positive bell-weather for this project and its prospect?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:16 PM

There are some merits to living right on Graham (and just off Portage) in terms of access to buses. Right now if I (live on Waterfront) want to bus to most of the south of the city I have to get to Graham first (via bus or walking). Living at SkyCity would have you one bus away from a vast majority of the city.

Not suggesting that demand will be huge because of that, but I think that fact alone makes it appealing, instead of being the "least desirable part of downtown".

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:25 PM

^ I would agree with rypinion. The location is not spectacular, but it's not terrible either. I don't think the economics of this project make it likely to take shape as advertised, but I'm not sure that it would be all that much different if it were located somewhere else downtown. The problems probably have to do with the building vis a vis the market, not the location specifically.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I would agree with rypinion. The location is not spectacular, but it's not terrible either. I don't think the economics of this project make it likely to take shape as advertised, but I'm not sure that it would be all that much different if it were located somewhere else downtown. The problems probably have to do with the building vis a vis the market, not the location specifically.
Yeah, these are fair points. I never really considered the transit issue, but I feel like living on Waterfront is probably still seen as more desirable.

My honest opinion is that we get nothing here. I'm hearing a lot of 'well, we'll get something, but it'll be scaled down' or 'not as advertised', but that's not accounting for the $9.5MM purchase price of the land. At most we're going to get some marketed window dressing as they attempt to bring this impossible project forward. We'll likely get a sales center and that'll probably be it. Anything else is an acknowledgment of overpayment and they'll have to take a loss.

The unfortunate part is that Sabino probably doesn't part with the land for less than a valuation that makes no sense, so it's probably not a scenario where somebody else could have done something with it. But I think Fortress and their investors are about to find out why surface parking is such a dominant land usage in downtown Winnipeg.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan