HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 5:08 PM

Oh, here we go again.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Oh, here we go again.
I have to admit, this thing has gotten further along than I initially expected it to.

I wonder what effect TNS will have on Skycity once marketing starts for their not one but two residential projects?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I have to admit, this thing has gotten further along than I initially expected it to.

I wonder what effect TNS will have on Skycity once marketing starts for their not one but two residential projects?
I've been thinking timing has worked out nicely for SkyCity. If TNS and them were both trying to market a glut of condos at the same time, that would be bad. Since SkyCity is inching closer to there goal of 200 units, hopefully TNS will come online near the end of that period. SkyCity will still be selling the remaining 200 of 400 units of course. But hopefully they can get construction financing approval prior to TNS going full steam with their marketing. The we'll see if TNS can sell another 300 units, or whatever they'll have in the two towers there.

On a Winnipeg scale, SkyCity selling 150ish condos over the last year is pretty damn good. Even with the outside investors.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 5:30 PM

^ In some respects, having two highrise condos go up a couple blocks apart might actually grow the downtown market and encourage buyers to come out of the woodwork. I'd feel more comfortable jumping in myself knowing that a condo-residential neighbourhood was emerging (along with the related amenities) vs. buying a unit in a tower that stands in a sea of office buildings and parking lots.

Who would have thought we'd see the day where there could be two highrises going up on Graham? Now we need phase II of Winnipeg Square to get the green light and we'll really be cooking with gas

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 5:42 PM

Has there ever been any sort of talk on the second tower at Winnipeg Square?

Surely with their plans to re-clad the existing tower, they would've done an overall analysis of the property. Instead of an office tower, maybe condo or apartments are a better fit? I don't think they'd want the type of traffic apartments bring, so maybe condos.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Has there ever been any sort of talk on the second tower at Winnipeg Square?

Surely with their plans to re-clad the existing tower, they would've done an overall analysis of the property. Instead of an office tower, maybe condo or apartments are a better fit? I don't think they'd want the type of traffic apartments bring, so maybe condos.
Yeah, I recall it has come up a couple of times publicly in recent years, but so far as I know it has only been in response to RFPs. I've never seen any actual marketing of the site. Once was when MTS was looking for a head office (before settling on the former Bank of Montreal Building) and another time was when Hydro was looking for a head office. I seem to vaguely recall that there was also a proposal in the late 90s to build a low-rise office building on the pad between the two towers (i.e., above the mall) where the atrium hotel was originally supposed to go... that was back in the days when call centres were booming and needed room to expand.

So this would seem to suggest that it's still possible to build there. It irks me that nothing has been built since the initial phase 35 years ago.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:14 PM

Personally I would take anything over the shit that's there now. As many have noted, it's embarrassing.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Personally I would take anything over the shit that's there now. As many have noted, it's embarrassing.
It's horrendous. Only marginally better than a surface parking lot. Even a giant three-storey Tim Horton's/Dollarama combo would be an improvement.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's horrendous. Only marginally better than a surface parking lot. Even a giant three-storey Tim Horton's/Dollarama combo would be an improvement.
Easy now on that Dollorama lol
We have enough of them all ready. No need for a Super Dollorama haha

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:45 PM
BANNED

I am sure Selinger has a plan for that site too.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I am sure Selinger has a plan for that site too.
If he does it probably was secured to be developed before he mentions it. Kinda like the others that were already under construction or finished before he opened his mouth.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Hahaha

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:05 PM

SkyCity is offering up their presentation centre to host events/meetings free of charge.

http://skycitywinnipeg.ca/events/

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Easy now on that Dollorama lol
We have enough of them all ready. No need for a Super Dollorama haha
Actually, as it turns out I was in Dollar Tree on Portage over the noon hour, and unlike Dollarama which still seems to draw a crowd, there was hardly anyone in there. Maybe we have finally reached peak dollar store in downtown Winnipeg?

Sorry Artis, back to the drawing board... no Super Dollarama after all

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
SkyCity is offering up their presentation centre to host events/meetings free of charge.

http://skycitywinnipeg.ca/events/
Smart. I'm sure there are various professional groups that would be willing to take them up on that offer... I used to belong to the Junior Chamber of Commerce (JCI) and it would have been there for a meeting or a function in a heartbeat... the exact kind of people they'd want to have in there.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Actually, as it turns out I was in Dollar Tree on Portage over the noon hour, and unlike Dollarama which still seems to draw a crowd, there was hardly anyone in there. Maybe we have finally reached peak dollar store in downtown Winnipeg?

I find the Dollar Tree stores in Winnipeg to be much more visually appealing inside than Dollarama stores which tend to look cluttered in comparison.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I find the Dollar Tree stores in Winnipeg to be much more visually appealing inside than Dollarama stores which tend to look cluttered in comparison.
Agreed, but I also find Dollarama has way better/more products. The Dollar Tree on Portage creeps me out. Can't figure out why.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 2:52 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
^ In some respects, having two highrise condos go up a couple blocks apart might actually grow the downtown market and encourage buyers to come out of the woodwork. I'd feel more comfortable jumping in myself knowing that a condo-residential neighbourhood was emerging (along with the related amenities) vs. buying a unit in a tower that stands in a sea of office buildings and parking lots.

Who would have thought we'd see the day where there could be two highrises going up on Graham? Now we need phase II of Winnipeg Square to get the green light and we'll really be cooking with gas
You know, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Nothing draws a crowd, like a crowd.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 2:59 AM

Quote:

I love it.

I also am quite fond of Dollarama.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 4:18 AM

^ Yeah, I usually visit Dollarama once every 6 weeks or so for various odds and sods... I find what I need there.

I went to Dollar Tree once when it opened and then today. Both visits were underwhelming. My very lucrative dollar store patronage will no longer be directed there!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan