HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 9:14 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Ironically, Kevin's post has "troll fighter" on the bottom...just sayin'...
It's a movie quote.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 2:09 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's a movie quote.
I know. Just funny given the topic of conversation.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
The only hope (and I think it’s a good one) is for tech to alleviate transit issues I think in less than 10 years, it will. Look how many trips scooters have made in just 6 months. Those represent car trips, never taken.
I think you're too optimistic.

Scooters only help with short-distance congestion, on surface streets in areas like downtown.

Austin's congestion problem is overwhelmingly on highways, where scooters don't come into play at all.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:42 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Somehow getting the 18-wheelers off of I35 through town would alleviate a lot of problems. They're like giant boulders in a stream, and they make it difficult for people to merge, exit and see anything ahead of them.

I35 freight traffic is insanely heavy in Texas.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Somehow getting the 18-wheelers off of I35 through town would alleviate a lot of problems. They're like giant boulders in a stream, and they make it difficult for people to merge, exit and see anything ahead of them.

I35 freight traffic is insanely heavy in Texas.
Those trucks that aren’t on 130 mostly service Austin. You can’t get rid of them. Just look at the side/back of every store at every steeet corner. Those loading bays are designed for 18 wheelers.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
I think you're too optimistic.

Scooters only help with short-distance congestion, on surface streets in areas like downtown.

Austin's congestion problem is overwhelmingly on highways, where scooters don't come into play at all.
I agree. I personally don’t think dockless e-scooters solve much of anything. If it’s cannabilizing any sector of transportation, it’s the most classic mode of transportation in the book: Walking. E-Scooters on streets only increase traffic, force cars into one lane.

E-scooters on sidewalks are the death of downtown walkabillty. I’ve seen arguments that it helps street-level retail (I think this only applies to a scenario where you already have a destination in mind, but were historically deterred because you had to walk there, which is an incidence case study few and far between)

I think for a city trying to promote personal health, environmental health, and walkability, our sidewalks becoming ad god expressways for e-scooters and e-bikes is a death knell to all those things. The fact that these are dockless is even worse, it’s like tech littering. It destroys the streetscape. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen that crap laying on sidewalks or propped up against storefronts. It’s ugly, and these VC backed companies had no plan to combat any of these issues. The scooters themselves are hulks of metal and plastic that go right into landfills when they break, because it’s cheaper to reproduce them than give them maintenance. I say we tax these scooter companies per ride and charge significant amounts per permit, and use that to subsidize a real solution - like light rail that targets solving highway congestion and Lamar, etc.

Or at least designate areas of the city as scooter free zones - so like you can ride a scooter on the sidewalk to West Campus or to the 2nd Street District, but have to dock them in designated zones outside of those sectors, so that we enhance foot traffic and have a cleaner streetscape.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:38 PM
Voice of the Modern World

In 2030 AMZN will probably be looking for HQ4...

Dubai vs Austin

Odds?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
In 2030 AMZN will probably be looking for HQ4...

Dubai vs Austin

Odds?
By 2030, I would put my money on anywhere outside the US. Perhaps London.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:42 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
. E-Scooters on streets only increase traffic, force cars into one lane.

E-scooters on sidewalks are the death of downtown walkabillty.
I think for a city trying to promote personal health, environmental health, and walkability, our sidewalks becoming ad god expressways for e-scooters and e-bikes is a death knell to all those things. The fact that these are dockless is even worse, it’s like tech littering. It destroys the streetscape. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen that crap laying on sidewalks or propped up against storefronts. It’s ugly, and these VC backed companies had no plan to combat any of these issues. The scooters themselves are hulks of metal and plastic that go right into landfills when they break, because it’s cheaper to reproduce them than give them maintenance. I say we tax these scooter companies per ride and charge significant amounts per permit, and use that to subsidize a real solution - like light rail that targets solving highway congestion and Lamar, etc.

Or at least designate areas of the city as scooter free zones - so like you can ride a scooter on the sidewalk to West Campus or to the 2nd Street District, but have to dock them in designated zones outside of those sectors, so that we enhance foot traffic and have a cleaner streetscape.
I really don't understand all of the negativity toward scooters. Over 40,000 Americans will die this year in auto-related incidents, do we really think that scooters are the problem? Why we turned over the majority of our public realm to 3,000 pound human squishers perplexes me--perhaps we focus our attention here?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 6:44 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I think Scooters are a great alternative to the status quo. I don't see how they can be the death of walkability. I've not had an issue with them when I walk around in DT. As far as them being left around or knocked over, it seems things might be heading in the right direction. I see more of them neatly parked on corners or in a certain area near businesses now than a couple of months ago. The solution is for businesses or property owners to designate a specific spot out of the way from the high trafficked middle of the sidewalks. As for people using the sidewalks when riding, I do think that should be discouraged, it's one thing for motorless foot scooters but another for motorized ones since they can go much faster. We already have a great example road as a guideline for redeveloping other streets and that's 3rd street. Most people on scooters use the dedicated bike lane on 3rd. As far as using them in the street, they need to follow the same laws as bicyclists, though they should stay in the far right lane unless they are on a one way street and need to turn left in which case the far left.

It comes down to educating the public. I will say they need to make it more difficult for kids to be able to use them. They aren't toys. The companies need to make some changes to make it harder for them to use. In terms of people taking them outside of their intended use range, (cause I see them on my street on occasion which they shouldn't be) they should know who uses the scooter last since you have to rent it by phone. They are all obviously connected to GPS. Simply make it to where they are fined extra for taking them beyond the set range which should discourage that sort of behavior.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
I really don't understand all of the negativity toward scooters. Over 40,000 Americans will die this year in auto-related incidents, do we really think that scooters are the problem? Why we turned over the majority of our public realm to 3,000 pound human squishers perplexes me--perhaps we focus our attention here?
The negativity is easy to understand, and justified. As AustinGoesVertical explained, scooters don't solve any real problems, and create several new ones. The only reason people regard them as cool is because tech companies are behind them, and Austin worships the tech sector (naturally, since 1 in 7 jobs in this city are in tech). Objectively speaking however, there isn't anything cool or novel about scooters. Even the business model isn't revolutionary.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I think Scooters are a great alternative to the status quo. I don't see how they can be the death of walkability. I've not had an issue with them when I walk around in DT.
You may not have had an issue. But they pose a great risk to the elderly, the visually impaired and to children.

There's a reason we don't allow bikes on sidewalks. Not sure why we should allow scooters.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 4:35 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
You may not have had an issue. But they pose a great risk to the elderly, the visually impaired and to children.

There's a reason we don't allow bikes on sidewalks. Not sure why we should allow scooters.
Did you read my entire post? Did I say they should be using motorized scooters on sidewalks?? Please tell me where I said that.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
We _do_ allow bikes on sidewalks.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
We _do_ allow bikes on sidewalks.
Ah, you're right. For a moment there I made the mistake of thinking Austin is civilized like NYC or most cities in SoCal. My fault!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 5:56 PM
De Lurk Squad

Quote:
Ah, you're right. For a moment there I made the mistake of thinking Austin is civilized like NYC or most cities in SoCal. My fault!
And here lies the real problem...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 7:32 PM
Meh

Actually, the bikes on sidewalks thing is a grey area. I mean, it's not likely that the cops will actually say anything about it. In fact, I've always assumed they're kind of blind to what bicycles are doing anyway just because they're a low priority.

However, there are probably a few places where it is illegal to ride on the sidewalk in Austin. One place that I know of where it's posted "no bikes on the sidewalk" is along Lamar where the sidewalks are really narrow.

For example, there's this sign at 6th & Congress right outside of Waterloo Records. Another place where it might be illegal is along South Congress because of all the foot traffic there from the shops. Of course, I'm not sure if this sign outside of Waterloo Records was put there by the city, or if Waterloo Records paid for it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2716...7i16384!8i8192

Really, I have no idea why anyone would want to ride on the sidewalk anyway. I hate doing it myself, and I only resort to it on streets where I really don't feel safe, but generally around downtown, on Lamar and Congress, I don't worry too much. I think the general rule should be that if you don't feel safe riding on the street because of hills and you can't keep up with the traffic or there are visibility/weather issues, then I would say it's ok to ride on the sidewalk. Otherwise, you shouldn't, and especially not if there are a lot of pedestrians.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Actually, the bikes on sidewalks thing is a grey area. I mean, it's not likely that the cops will actually say anything about it. In fact, I've always assumed they're kind of blind to what bicycles are doing anyway just because they're a low priority.

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/de...ing%5B2%5D.pdf

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 6:51 PM
Love Austin

Cool. So 40,000 people die each year in auto incidences but "BE AFRAID OF SCOOTERS!" Nah, I won't go for this hype. However I'm happy to be a part of a conversation that looks to better distribute the limited public realm in our central city. Instead of conceding ~90% of it to 3,000lb, fossil fuel powered human squishers, how about we get bike/scooter lanes on more than half of our streets? At that time restrict their usage on sidewalks but give them a safe place to operate before doing so.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Cool. So 40,000 people die each year in auto incidences but "BE AFRAID OF SCOOTERS!" Nah, I won't go for this hype. However I'm happy to be a part of a conversation that looks to better distribute the limited public realm in our central city. Instead of conceding ~90% of it to 3,000lb, fossil fuel powered human squishers, how about we get bike/scooter lanes on more than half of our streets? At that time restrict their usage on sidewalks but give them a safe place to operate before doing so.
Word

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin