HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:58 PM
TL;DR

Not that I fully support the sweetheart deal, but a big chunk of that subsidy will probably go towards infrastructure - new streets around the hotel, plus power, water and sewer lines into the site. Things the taxpayers *should* be paying for.

Also if you were going to build a privately-funded hotel, this wouldn't be my first choice of location. It's a hefty walk to pretty much everything, tourists will probably not find it convenient so I imagine it has to rely on convention traffic alone.

Chicago has a similar issue, McCormick Place is ~2 miles south of the Loop so we built subsidized Hyatt Regency and Marriott Marquis highrises at McCormick Place because developers weren't interested in doing an all-private deal. The convention center has been there since the 1950s, but up to now all the major hotels were 2 miles north in the Loop because they needed the tourist traffic as well as conventioneers. Convention-goers had to ride a fleet of shuttles from each major hotel. These on-site hotels are less profitable than you might imagine and may even take a loss sometimes. They exist mainly to provide an on-site lodging option on the ~150 days per year when there is a major convention, but the other 2/3 of the year they just sit empty.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 2:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Not that I fully support the sweetheart deal, but a big chunk of that subsidy will probably go towards infrastructure - new streets around the hotel, plus power, water and sewer lines into the site.

Also if you were going to build a privately-funded hotel, this wouldn't be my first choice of location. It's a hefty walk to pretty much everything, tourists will probably not find it convenient so I imagine it has to rely on convention traffic alone.

Chicago has a similar issue, McCormick Place is ~2 miles south of the Loop so we built subsidized Hyatt Regency and Marriott Marquis highrises at McCormick Place because developers weren't interested in doing an all-private deal. These hotels are less profitable than you might imagine and may even take a loss sometimes. They exist mainly to provide an on-site lodging option on the ~150 days per year when there is a major convention, but the other 2/3 of the year they just sit empty.
which is why the convention center tried to do a whole massive development over there because they are aware of the issue... its not accessible to lots of prime areas in the city and is isolated at the moment.. however they failed to get that development to ever move forward so i can see where they are going with this .. its a start.. thats why the linear park is important too.. gives that area a safe and enjoyable pedestrian connection to the rest of the city.. but for sure this hotel will need to rely heavily on onsite conventions.. mainly in the hotel itself

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
which is why the convention center tried to do a whole massive development over there because they are aware of the issue... its not accessible to lots of prime areas in the city and is isolated at the moment.. however they failed to get that development to ever move forward so i can see where they are going with this .. its a start.. thats why the linear park is important too.. gives that area a safe and enjoyable pedestrian connection to the rest of the city.. but for sure this hotel will need to rely heavily on onsite conventions.. mainly in the hotel itself
This city and state government are obsessed with owning and controlling property (Four Seasons, Piazza D’Italia, Harrah’s, Municipal Auditorium, Convention Center expansion lot...) and it leads to them being underutilized and slow to develop. I’d prefer they partner with a hotel for the convention expansion then carve up the vacant land and sell to the highest bidder. The riverfront should be covered in high rise condos, the rest will fill itself in. Instead of streetscaping Convention Center Blvd, I’d prefer the money going to improving the street grid around the area.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 3:01 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
This city and state government are obsessed with owning and controlling property (Four Seasons, Piazza D’Italia, Harrah’s, Municipal Auditorium, Convention Center expansion lot...) and it leads to them being underutilized and slow to develop. I’d prefer they partner with a hotel for the convention expansion then carve up the vacant land and sell to the highest bidder. The riverfront should be covered in high rise condos, the rest will fill itself in. Instead of streetscaping Convention Center Blvd, I’d prefer the money going to improving the street grid around the area.
while I agree with that, i think a good connection to the area from downtown is crucial.. the expressway is like a gian barrier in many ways that needs to be overcome to connect the area to the rest of the city specifically areas downriver... also driving by convention center the other day when large convention was operating.. the street desperately needs an upgrade for safety and visitor experience so im def in favor of it now that i get what its really for

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 5:04 PM

It would be interesting to see some more details and what the CC is planning apart from the hotel. Looks like the CC Blvd improvements are basically a done deal - although that probably won't improve traffic in the area.

A lot of the earlier plans including a transit center below the expressway along with an additional convention space on the lots between Henderson and the expressway. If the plans are to make hosting two conventions at once possible as the article says, it seems like those components would be necessary along with the hotel. I do think that leaving some room for residential, retail, entertainment and parks is necessary to make the area competitive. I hope they build a tall hotel tower to maximize available land.

Would also be interesting to know if Jaeger has anything up his sleeve with the old power plant.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 5:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
It would be interesting to see some more details and what the CC is planning apart from the hotel. Looks like the CC Blvd improvements are basically a done deal - although that probably won't improve traffic in the area.

A lot of the earlier plans including a transit center below the expressway along with an additional convention space on the lots between Henderson and the expressway. If the plans are to make hosting two conventions at once possible as the article says, it seems like those components would be necessary along with the hotel. I do think that leaving some room for residential, retail, entertainment and parks is necessary to make the area competitive. I hope they build a tall hotel tower to maximize available land.

Would also be interesting to know if Jaeger has anything up his sleeve with the old power plant.
streetwork starts mid summer and completion in 2020 and the transit center under the overpass is a major component of this.. as far as traffic its more about how pedestrians cross the street and taxi uber drop off that make it kind of a mess right now... plus its just not very attractive at the moment..

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:32 PM

Pythian Market opens this week but had a soft opening this weekend. The Advocate has some pictures!

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...df14ecea5.html

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:39 PM

NOLA.com has some renderings of the Four Seasons that I hadn't seen before:

http://realestate.nola.com/realestat...ans_world.html

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:44 PM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
NOLA.com has some renderings of the Four Seasons that I hadn't seen before:

http://realestate.nola.com/realestat...ans_world.html

God that looks great. Can't wait for this to be open! I just wish they were putting a bar back up top

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 6:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
God that looks great. Can't wait for this to be open! I just wish they were putting a bar back up top
me too but it sounds like the event space upstairs might have some bar space.. i used to love 360 back in the day lol

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:00 PM
-

Quote:
Pythian Market opens this week but had a soft opening this weekend. The Advocate has some pictures!

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...df14ecea5.html
this is new information I hadnt heard before either

The building will soon open an events space on the second floor called the Laurenia and a music venue and bar called 2Three4 (after its address on Loyola Avenue).

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:23 PM
-

204 S Saratoga St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code: 7MFRMJ
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Victor F. Trahan, III
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
5/26/2018
Closed:
No
Description
The project is a renovation of a portion of the existing ground floor retail area of the Tulane University Deming Pavilion on Tulane’s downtown campus to become a Tulane University Police Department (TUPD) Downtown station. The area of the renovation is approximately 4,500 sf.

Last edited by tennis1400; May 29, 2018 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
me too but it sounds like the event space upstairs might have some bar space.. i used to love 360 back in the day lol
This is obviously making an assumption, but if the decision was to have a restaurant and lounge on the ground floor or on the rooftop, then I'm glad they chose ground floor. Outdoor dining is going to do wonders in making the whole area more inviting and lively from the street. And ultimately a museum and observation area up there is still going to be pretty cool.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:33 PM

So there will be 3 proposals to choose from for Charity's redevelopment

I feel like only three proposals is bad news... I really hope this means all three have been well-vetted (and other pie-in-the-sky proposals didn't make the cut).

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...lopment_p.html

I do recall HRI and Matthews Southwest having made proposals years ago....

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ospital_5.html

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ospital_3.html

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post

I feel like only three proposals is bad news... I really hope this means all three have been well-vetted (and other pie-in-the-sky proposals didn't make the cut).

Not a bad spread of development groups though. Hopefully they're able to come up with some creative but reasonable proposals.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 10:55 PM

Looks like the third group has some of the same principals as this one from a few years ago:
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ospital_4.html

Based on the past proposals I'd say it's clear we will see 500-600 apartments plus some combination of hotel/extended stay, retail, and medical office space. I hope the groups plan to make some of the more interesting spaces open to the public. Things like the old medical auditoriums some make cool (yet creepy) bars/performance venues. Not many downtown buildings have a top floor full-sized basketball court!

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:14 AM
-

Quote:
This is obviously making an assumption, but if the decision was to have a restaurant and lounge on the ground floor or on the rooftop, then I'm glad they chose ground floor. Outdoor dining is going to do wonders in making the whole area more inviting and lively from the street. And ultimately a museum and observation area up there is still going to be pretty cool.
From the plans I’ve seen there will be a museum on the second floor, a lobby lounge and bar on first floor and restaurant and bar also on second floor with outdoor lounge and restaurant space... there will also be a large outdoor event space.. then there is a restaurant on the pool deck level as well as bar there and then the pool area itself with seating.. then there is an event space on the top along with a. Viewing deck and another museum

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:18 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post

I dont think three is bad at all.. piaza di Italia only had one at this stage.. and the vetting stuff in the rfq I downloaded looked very well done and sufficient... to be honest the best way to remove pie in the sky is simply do demand firms have a proven track record .... thats why six flags cant find anyone qualified because everyone that responds has no track record so i dont blame them for not awarding to any of them for six flags

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:31 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Looks like the third group has some of the same principals as this one from a few years ago:
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ospital_4.html

Based on the past proposals I'd say it's clear we will see 500-600 apartments plus some combination of hotel/extended stay, retail, and medical office space. I hope the groups plan to make some of the more interesting spaces open to the public. Things like the old medical auditoriums some make cool (yet creepy) bars/performance venues. Not many downtown buildings have a top floor full-sized basketball court!
Looks like I’m definitely about to have a lot of new neighbors on my block regardless of who they go with

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 6:58 PM
-

Somewhat Connected to Charity Redevelopment, I saw that LSU is putting this buildings highlighted in gray below out to the market too to be redeveloped into mixed use properties.. they are currently vacant... I could see someone who gets picked to redevelop charity wanting some of these buildings too especially the ones across tulane

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations