HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

Montreals sprawl in general is more like the US than you see elsewhere in Canada, more haphazard, exurban, less dense, no sidewalks, larger lots, less walkable, etc. To some that is all good as it leads to the space and privacy people seek in the suburbs but from a planning and land-use perspective it's a bit of a nightmare. The complete lack of sidewalks is what I find the most astounding.
I still find Montreal's sprawl is more tightly packed than what you see in the U.S., and also way more mixed density -probably even more mixed density than you see in the GTA and Ottawa. Though I agree it's haphazard and messy.

And the commercial areas in Quebec suburbs tend to replicate the reasonably dense strips that you have in the older suburbs, like Kingston Rd. in Scarborough or Boul. Taschereau on Montreal's south shore.

Whereas in the U.S. newer suburban commercial areas are extremely spaced out. This is an example from a medium-sized metro (Syracuse) but you see this type of development even in the greater New York City area:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.18578...2!8i6656?dcr=0

Most of what you see here is "built out". There isn't any provision to add more stuff in this space.

Suburban areas in Quebec that are this "airy" are always fairly new and aren't mature yet and have zoning that anticipates and even favours densification of commercial uses. To turn them into your community's very own Boulevard Taschereau.

Again, it doesn't make it more attractive, but it is denser.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada