HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

The Sovereign/ Element Vancouver Metrotown in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Burnaby Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:46 AM
Vancouver Moderator

This is why I'm moving from Metrotown to Port Moody.
I'd love to live in the Sovereign but I can't likely afford it anytime soon

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:58 PM

Sovereign and Station Square projects are jacking up rent rates in the area

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:00 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Moved non-Sovereign related threads about the rental market to:
Rental Market Thread

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 1:55 AM

Standing tall shrouded in the morning mist.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 2:51 AM

These pictures are amazing.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 3:47 AM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 4:58 AM

Sovereign at the end of last year.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 4:55 AM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 4:57 AM

I am not a big fan of this building.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 3:54 AM

One last update.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:28 AM

Thanks for the final shots! I still think this is one of the most disappointing towers to go up in recent years. One of the most prominent suburban intersections in the region, and we get a flimsy-looking blob of white spandrel and mediocre glazing.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
Thanks for the final shots! I still think this is one of the most disappointing towers to go up in recent years. One of the most prominent suburban intersections in the region, and we get a flimsy-looking blob of white spandrel and mediocre glazing.
No problemos. I also find Sovereign slightly underwhelming, but the good news is that there is still two more undeveloped corners to that intersection.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 1:19 AM

While I will miss the views of Metroplace penthouse, I cannot complain about the view from one of sub-penthouse levels on top floors of Sovereign, which is our new home.

There will be a lot more photos to come in the next few years, but here is a taste of part of the view from this past weekend. First up is Brentwood which forms an amazing skyline from our window.

Amazing Brentwood is standing tall and I look forward to seeing the complex go up.

This is close to how the view looks with naked eye.

We can even see Indian Arm and Deep Cove from our home.

Deer Lake, Burnaby Lake and Lougheed skyline. Another interesting skyline to watch growing in the future!

I hope you enjoyed this small snapshot.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 1:42 AM

Awesome pics! You have a fantastic view from your new place.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 1:43 AM

Great shots, thanks!

... and Leftcoaster just lost a bet on that Deep Cove / Indian Arm shot.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 12:21 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Such great photos

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 5:13 PM

Great pics and vantage point. Glad to see you found a wonderful place.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 1:52 AM

Thank you and I will be happy to provide future updates from up here.

These northwest corner units at the top offer best views in the building with no risk of any other tower ever blocking the view. They also have massive patio-size balconies with amazing views towards Brentwood and Downtown, which I will capture when the weather is right.

While Metroplace penthouse is few floor higher than our new place, Sovereign is a fair bit taller and as a result we are pretty much at the same altitude as previously. The view is just completely different, facing Downtown and North Burnaby, whereas from Metroplace we could see New Westminster and Richmond. Metroplace's view will also soon be blocked by new towers.

Sovereign also has much better amenities than Metroplace and it is nice not to have any Skytrain noise, which was fairly noticeable even at the top of Metroplace. I have to say that Metroplace's location was still very convenient with direct Skytrain access.

It took us around 8 months of active home hunting to find something that we really liked and considered a good deal. As you know, we had to take a 5-month temporary residency in Trump Tower, which was an interesting experience, although the building and unit had its issues.

All the time I had the feeling that we would eventually be moving back to Burnaby, since there is so much more lebensraum to be found in here vs. Downtown. We did also see several places in Downtown and some of those were very nice, but good deals were hard to come by.

Even in Burnaby prices have unfortunately gone up quite a bit, but we found there being a lot of room to negotiate the rent. If you have the flexibility of time, you should stick to what you consider as a good deal for the area. We ended up making a good deal and best of all, we now have a 2-year lease for some peace of mind.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Thank you and I will be happy to provide future updates from up here.

These northwest corner units at the top offer best views in the building with no risk of any other tower ever blocking the view. They also have massive patio-size balconies with amazing views towards Brentwood and Downtown, which I will capture when the weather is right.

While Metroplace penthouse is few floor higher than our new place, Sovereign is a fair bit taller and as a result we are pretty much at the same altitude as previously. The view is just completely different, facing Downtown and North Burnaby, whereas from Metroplace we could see New Westminster and Richmond. Metroplace's view will also soon be blocked by new towers.

Sovereign also has much better amenities than Metroplace and it is nice not to have any Skytrain noise, which was fairly noticeable even at the top of Metroplace. I have to say that Metroplace's location was still very convenient with direct Skytrain access.

It took us around 8 months of active home hunting to find something that we really liked and considered a good deal. As you know, we had to take a 5-month temporary residency in Trump Tower, which was an interesting experience, although the building and unit had its issues.

All the time I had the feeling that we would eventually be moving back to Burnaby, since there is so much more lebensraum to be found in here vs. Downtown. We did also see several places in Downtown and some of those were very nice, but good deals were hard to come by.

Even in Burnaby prices have unfortunately gone up quite a bit, but we found there being a lot of room to negotiate the rent. If you have the flexibility of time, you should stick to what you consider as a good deal for the area. We ended up making a good deal and best of all, we now have a 2-year lease for some peace of mind.
“Trump Tower.... was an interesting experience, although the building and unit had its issues”. Please elaborate, I suspect a lot of us would be fascinated to hear about your experiences as well as the building’s issues.

As well, when you get a chance, shots of Surrey would be appreciated.

PS “Lebensraum” Like your wry humor.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
“Trump Tower.... was an interesting experience, although the building and unit had its issues”. Please elaborate, I suspect a lot of us would be fascinated to hear about your experiences as well as the building’s issues.
Check out pictures and comments in the Trump Tower thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
As well, when you get a chance, shots of Surrey would be appreciated.
Surrey is pretty much the only direction my view doesn't extend to anymore, but I have been posting pictures of Surrey skyline in the last few years in the Metroplace thread. Someone else with a view to the east will have to cover for that from now on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley