HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Bible Belt in the way their lives centre around family, community and religion: many don't participate in elections as that's seen as too "English" or "worldly."

My mom says K-W is "squaresville." :p
There's the source of our difference. To me "Bible Belt" implies not one's own lifestyle, but rather it's imposition on the broader community. On that, to their credit, the Mennonites take a pass.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 5:12 PM
recession proof

To conservative mennonites I know, TV evangelists like you have in mind are sinners.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 5:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
There's the source of our difference. To me "Bible Belt" implies not one's own lifestyle, but rather it's imposition on the broader community. On that, to their credit, the Mennonites take a pass.
Is this also true of the Mennonite belt in southern Manitoba?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 5:15 PM
recession proof

All the mennonites I know in Toronto are heavily into mega church culture. Interestingly enough, most were raised in Manitoba/Western Canada. They're liberal yet conservative. Know what I mean?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is this also true of the Mennonite belt in southern Manitoba?
Yes and no. I wouldn't characterize Southern Manitoba Mennos as politically aggressive, but it does lead to a fairly politically conservative environment which is reflected by their elected officials.

Places like Steinbach (small Mennonite city about 40 minutes from Winnipeg) will have MLAs and MPs who will be quite open about their support for pro-life causes and tend not to do the usual Canadian politcian thing of marching in pride parades, etc. Of course, this causes much consternation and clutching of pearls by the Winnipeg Free Press editorial board which cannot believe it anytime a southern Manitoba conservative politician fails to observe The Consensus.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 5:33 PM
recession proof

^Pretty much true for K-W/Perth/Huron counties. Local politicians are overall very conservative/pro Xtian values.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
^Pretty much true for K-W/Perth/Huron counties. Local politicians are overall very conservative/pro Xtian values.
Former Kitchener mayor (1977-1982) Morley Rosenberg was notorious for his Xtian values. Likewise current K-W MPs Raj Saini, Marwan Tabbara, and Bardish Chakkar.

To be fair, your comment is on the mark wrt Conservative local politicians.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Nov 26, 2016 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 12:31 AM

I have a question regarding the Bible Belts of Canada and their connectedness.

Since Canada's Bible Belt is not continuous and connected into one region unlike stateside (eg. the South in the US), how did several widely spaced areas (eg. the Fraser Valley, Okanogan, southern Alberta, parts of Southern Ontario) become similarly religious?

Did they all become religious from separate settlements of people who were religious to begin with just carrying their evangelical beliefs to each area?

Is it people choosing to move to these areas away from the non-religious, secular, or religiously liberal, cities?

Or was it just that as Canada secularized and became an increasingly less-religious country, these areas "held out" and stayed religious.

Or put another way, how long ago have the contemporary Bible Belts of Canada been the most religious part of their area, if not country --since the time they were settled, or more recently, several generations ago or really recently, say with religious revivals or evangelism?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 12:56 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
I have a question regarding the Bible Belts of Canada and their connectedness.

Since Canada's Bible Belt is not continuous and connected into one region unlike stateside (eg. the South in the US), how did several widely spaced areas (eg. the Fraser Valley, Okanogan, southern Alberta, parts of Southern Ontario) become similarly religious?

Did they all become religious from separate settlements of people who were religious to begin with just carrying their evangelical beliefs to each area?

Is it people choosing to move to these areas away from the non-religious, secular, or religiously liberal, cities?

Or was it just that as Canada secularized and became an increasingly less-religious country, these areas "held out" and stayed religious.

Or put another way, how long ago have the contemporary Bible Belts of Canada been the most religious part of their area, if not country --since the time they were settled, or more recently, several generations ago or really recently, say with religious revivals or evangelism?
I would think there are a few easily identifiable prerequisites to the existence of a bible belt. They would include things like, typically, large rural areas, economically depressed, agricultural or resource based, primarily protestant, non urban, culturally non dominant areas, typically inland, so not open to outside influences.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
I grew up in rural, northern Alberta and by no means was my area around Grande Prairie particularly religious at all. There's pockets of Mennonites but the religiosity of the general population is very, very low. I would argue probably amongst the lowest in the country.
I spent a few years in rural Alberta as well (Lloydminster and Sylvan Lake). Unless hair metal is a religion, my experience is that very few people of the Boomer generation or younger were under much influence. The presence of mega churches is more a sign of upstarts. Unlike the Catholic Church, for example, these churches must entirely self fund so they need to be big. The two most religious places I lived have been Ottawa and London, ON possibly because people seemed conscious of the whole Catholic-Protestant thing. I even lived in Plano, TX and found religion to be virtually absent, again unless football and capitalism are considered religions. Other parts of Dallas are very Baptist.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:07 AM

Outside Atlantic Canada, Bible belts in Canada often have a Dutch Canadian and/or Mennonite character.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Outside Atlantic Canada, Bible belts in Canada often have a Dutch Canadian and/or Mennonite character.
That certainly describes Manitoba's Bible Belt. Although interestingly, and in contrast to Architype's comment, ours has a reputation for being a very prosperous place with industrious citizens. It seems like every other town down there has some kind of manufacturer that's big into the export game.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 5:08 AM

Where is the Okanagan Bible Belt? Ive never noticed one and I've been there a hundred times.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 5:47 AM
BANNED

My gf and I went to a big evangelical church in Calgary just to see what it was like. What a hoot!

People crying and speaking in tongues and writhing on the floor.. magic!

I remember saying to her “These people are fucked! Let’s get outta here!!”

And we did. And we lit up a smoke. And they all prayed for us on their way out.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:22 AM

Surprisingly as some traditional Bible Belts die out, new ones have taken their place. One such example is Richmond as many new Chinese from the Mainland {not Hong Kong or Taiwan} are quite conservative and Christian. There are several large classic ~born again~ churches in Richmond and other Chinese areas like South Surrey where the vast majority of the conservative church goers are Mainland Chinese as they hunt for a spirituality that has been denied them in China and one that resonates with their very socially conservative mindsets and values.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 6:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Surprisingly as some traditional Bible Belts die out, new ones have taken their place. One such example is Richmond as many new Chinese from the Mainland {not Hong Kong or Taiwan} are quite conservative and Christian. There are several large classic ~born again~ churches in Richmond and other Chinese areas like South Surrey where the vast majority of the conservative church goers are Mainland Chinese as they hunt for a spirituality that has been denied them in China and one that resonates with their very socially conservative mindsets and values.
I’ve heard that evangelical Chinese are more likely to buy condos than are non-evangelical Chinese.

Is this true?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That certainly describes Manitoba's Bible Belt. Although interestingly, and in contrast to Architype's comment, ours has a reputation for being a very prosperous place with industrious citizens. It seems like every other town down there has some kind of manufacturer that's big into the export game.
Funny how people's stereotypes don't always match the reality.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:37 PM

Saw this and had to post it.

source: http://i.imgur.com

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 2:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I also noticed that comment from Architype and my impression that Bible Belts in Canada are not economically depressed in general.

The area around Cardston in southern Alberta is certainly not depressed and neither are the parts of the Fraser Valley where there is also a bit of a Bible Belt feel.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I also noticed that comment from Architype and my impression that Bible Belts in Canada are not economically depressed in general.

The area around Cardston in southern Alberta is certainly not depressed and neither are the parts of the Fraser Valley where there is also a bit of a Bible Belt feel.
Cardston is predominately Mormon and is quite a viable farming area. You do have the Blood reserve next door which may contribute to the perception of depression.

Looking at other high religious area like Northern Alberta near ft Vermilion and Lacrete, High Mennonite areas, these are also quite well to do farming areas.

Central Alberta is more evangelical and is less prosperous but still relatively economically OK. Mostly O&G Forestry and Farming.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada