HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 9:38 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Good that you have finally came to that realization. Just a month ago, you jumped on me when I said the Habs were going to be the worst team in the league.

It's been 2-3 years that I repeat the success of the team was mainly based on 2 players, Subban and Markov. And surprise, surprise look at the results when they are not with the team anymore.
Even without having watched any games, I can tell you what's going on: No transition-->no attack. Slow defenders (with low IQ)--->not even Price can save the situation.

BTW-Good to see Nashville back on track.
I never said the Habs were going to be a powerhouse either. I don't think they're the worst (Buffalo and Arizona are), but we can agree they're not very good.

At least I won't turn on my team

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 10:22 PM

It's interesting you find Buffalo and Arizona to be two of the worst teams. They tanked even worse, and earlier, than the Leafs did but the Leafs are way way ahead in development. The Leafs made their turn around look so ridiculously easy everyone forgets about the teams that get stuck in the mud drafting high picks. Buffalo and Arizona two major examples. And who can forget the Oilers?

I realize the Leafs had the luxury of the 1st overall but many people believe that if Matthews were in the draft a year earlier (he missed it by a couple days) he would have gone 3rd overall behind McDavid and Eichel.

Anyways it's not so easy as tank = be good in a couple years. Some franchises get stuck in tank mode for a decade.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 10:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
I realize the Leafs had the luxury of the 1st overall but many people believe that if Matthews were in the draft a year earlier (he missed it by a couple days) he would have gone 3rd overall behind McDavid and Eichel.
He probably could have gone second ahead of Eichel. Playing in Europe would have definitely relegated him to the third spot, I think, but we'll never really know.

Quote:
Anyways it's not so easy as tank = be good in a couple years. Some franchises get stuck in tank mode for a decade.
There's a difference between tanking and rebuilding, though. Lots of teams get stuck in rebuilding mode simply because they're either not doing it right or don't have the right pieces. Detroit, right now, are somewhere in between because they don't have the ability to shed their old contracts and thus are too good to be a proper tank. They've injected younger players but aren't bad enough yet to get a high draft selection.

Teams like Buffalo and Arizona routinely underachieve despite the rosters they have. They're done tanking, per se, and are trying to rebuild but can't.

Then there are teams like the Canucks that refuse to tank and try to rebuild on the fly. What you're left with is what the Canucks have been for the past three seasons. Teams like the Rangers and Canadiens are at the end of their upswings and are now entering their downswings. Give them a few years and they'll be rebuilding, too. Rangers are already trying to do so right now on the fly.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 11:20 PM

Bjork. Lol.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 11:30 PM
More transit please

Quote:
It's interesting you find Buffalo and Arizona to be two of the worst teams. They tanked even worse, and earlier, than the Leafs did but the Leafs are way way ahead in development. The Leafs made their turn around look so ridiculously easy everyone forgets about the teams that get stuck in the mud drafting high picks. Buffalo and Arizona two major examples. And who can forget the Oilers?

Leafs got pretty lucky with Matthews but I can't deny they drafted well with Marner and Nylander.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Leafs got pretty lucky with Matthews but I can't deny they drafted well with Marner and Nylander.
I think after 50 years we are owed a good team. As much as it might irk the rest of the country you can't deny our drought had to end at some point and hopefully that time is now. Also it appears our goaltending might be better then we had thought last year. One other thing, getting Babcock for an insane amount of money looks like it might just pay off.7

Also I know it's only week two but it is nice to see the Leafs first in the entire league. I honestly can't remember ever seeing that before. Hoping this is a goid sign for the rest
If the season.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Not sure how they were lucky... they finished in last place and had the best odds at getting the first pick - and got it. The Oilers were lucky... finishing 3rd last and still getting the first pick to land McDavid.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Not sure how they were lucky... they finished in last place and had the best odds at getting the first pick - and got it. The Oilers were lucky... finishing 3rd last and still getting the first pick to land McDavid.
Right? I can't remember how many years we would be in last then in late April the team would play good enough to get us out of a good draft pic. That last place spot a few years back was what we were all hoping for.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 12:54 AM

A lot of times teams will do the tank/rebuild thing but they don't hire good management. Winnipeg, Edmonton 1.0, Buffalo, Arizona, etc come to mind. Toronto went and got literally the best of the best to run the show (granted we are lucky to be rich enough to throw that kind of money)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:02 AM
More transit please

Quote:
Well with 2 chances out of 10 of getting the first overall you are lucky, given that you have an 80% chance of not getting it

Buffalo lost on the McDavid sweepstakes in 2015 even though they were the worst, same could have happened to the Leafs.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:08 AM

If you call no cup win in 50 years and first draft pick lucky I wish nothing but luck for Montreal.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:09 AM

Although I like the HABS so I wish luck for the Sens.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Well with 2 chances out of 10 of getting the first overall you are lucky, given that you have an 80% chance of not getting it
If being last place and drafting first is lucky, then I guess every single first pick overall is lucky since the odds only get worse from there.

Ever since the Leafs got first pick to draft Matthews, I can't believe how many times I've heard people bashing the Leafs with calls of being lucky or accusing (and criticising) them for tanking. With the exception of the Oilers (only because of their string of first overall picks), I've heard no other bitching about other teams drafting first overall. It seems to only be an issue when the Leafs do it.

I also find it odd when people laugh at how bad the Leafs were - calling them the worst team, and then accusing them of tanking. Which was it... the worst or did they tank?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:21 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I think after 50 years we are owed a good team.
Nobody is owed anything.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:50 AM
More transit please

Quote:
If being last place and drafting first is lucky, then I guess every single first pick overall is lucky since the odds only get worse from there.

Ever since the Leafs got first pick to draft Matthews, I can't believe how many times I've heard people bashing the Leafs with calls of being lucky or accusing (and criticising) them for tanking. With the exception of the Oilers (only because of their string of first overall picks), I've heard no other bitching about other teams drafting first overall. It seems to only be an issue when the Leafs do it.

I also find it odd when people laugh at how bad the Leafs were - calling them the worst team, and then accusing them of tanking. Which was it... the worst or did they tank?
It's an issue with people because it was the first canadian team in a while doing it willingly. Edmonton just tried to be good and failed for 10 years. I don't mind it personally, it was a logical choice to make.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 10:05 AM

I don't even think they necessarily purposely "tanked" rather than they rebuilt. They got rid of players that had no future with the team but never made a move that was for the sole purpose of making them worse. Some teams strip right to the bone because they simply just want to suck, Buffalo was guilty of this. I don't think the Leafs did that and I think that's one reason they had such a quick turn around. They kept some nice pieces, one reason they have so much depth right now, and that losing attitude never crept into the rebuild like it does so with many franchises. The Leafs were one of the hardest working teams in the league the year they finished last they just lacked elite talent.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:33 PM

Not to mention they were the best last place team (in terms of points) in almost 10 years. Babcock almost willed them to a non-last place finish. Thank god even he couldn't get anything more out of a team that sent Komarov to the All-star game.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:03 PM

Flames need to win one at home here, undefeated on the road, and winless at home. Why can't these guys be consistent? lol

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Flames need to win one at home here, undefeated on the road, and winless at home. Why can't these guys be consistent? lol
Such a frustrating game last night. Backlind was the only one playing the entire game really. Last few minutes were exciting though and Jagr came so close to finally scoring! Wish it had happened when I was there.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:40 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Good lord McDavid, made two more NHL D look like beer leaguers on that goal last night.

Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada