HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 11:56 PM

Awesome photo installation, believe it or not CITC will actually be wider than picture. The square white building in front is 1818 Market which is actually about half the lot size of CITC. I am pretty sure CITC is going to have their base the size of the lot, so it should be wider looking. Sorry not trying to take anything away from the great insert, but it will fill more of the skyline. Minimal space between CITC and Mellon.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 4:09 AM

width of CITC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Awesome photo installation, believe it or not CITC will actually be wider than picture. The square white building in front is 1818 Market which is actually about half the lot size of CITC. I am pretty sure CITC is going to have their base the size of the lot, so it should be wider looking. Sorry not trying to take anything away from the great insert, but it will fill more of the skyline. Minimal space between CITC and Mellon.
drawings of the base of CITC show the tower to have a setback on the 19th st side and a smaller setback on the 18th st side which suggests to me that the tower's width is less than the distance from 18th st to 19th st along arch. I may have misunderstood what you were saying.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 11:43 AM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post

here's my quick attempt based on this:

http://philadelphiaheights.files.wor...pg?w=640&h=480
Great job.

That is a seriously nice cluster of some nice skyscrapers. Not many U.S. cities can boast of having so many skyscrapers in such a compact area.

So based on this Southern vantage point, CITC is filling in a nice gap.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 2:46 PM

Is anyone ticked about the roof height? I mean I'm not disappointed I just hope this building stands out among others.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 2:51 PM
i heart philly

Not me, I think it will bring balance with the other big guys around comcast 1.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:06 PM

Not me either.
Maybe I'm a Philly "homer" - but I think this new tower is very ballsy - its wide!, and dark, love the lines, and diagonal lines on side. I'm no expert, but its dark and industrial looking. The other CC towers are blue-ish to light gray in glass color. I love Liberty Place - its neo-Chrysler building looks - stands so trumiphantly. But.. I think this will one will really stand out for other reasons. To me, CITC says "F the bullshit, lets get to work!" and it also nicely fills a hole in the skyline. I think it's pretty badass looking personally. (I'm not on drugs - I swear).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster View Post
Not me, I think it will bring balance with the other big guys around comcast 1.
Yes I agree. Given its size, if it had a much greater height, it would kinda make the skyline look out of whack. This height is perfect as it adds a symmetry to the skyline. Given the current height, along with the other towers, it adds a buffer just in case a much taller tower in the future goes up. Thus, the skyline growth looks fluid, and doesn't look odd like something that you see in Dubai where one tower just dominates everything.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:22 PM

So let me ask you this then. Would you of liked American Commerce Center to be built? Or do you like CITC given its symmetrics to the skyline?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 3:24 PM

Anyone think they can do justice to another quick copy and paste "rendering" from Citizens Bank Park?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 4:00 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Awesome job on that Aaamazarite.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 4:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1 View Post
So let me ask you this then. Would you of liked American Commerce Center to be built? Or do you like CITC given its symmetrics to the skyline?
I'd like both. With the 1,500' , there is at least a buffer. Even if built, it would be 479 feet taller than CITC but its a difference in height that really won't make it look odd. If everything around it was lets say 600', it might look out of place but with the current height, it would work given the the 2 , 900' + towers and now this.

But if I had to choose, it would of been the American Commerce Center. Tall Supertalls are always nice. Although maybe with a shorter spire or a higher roof.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 4:49 PM
BANNED

does anyone know the name of the white office building with a pyramid on top in the heart of downtown? Very classy + elegant looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 4:59 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

BNY Mellon Center

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 7:50 PM

Update thanks to Lincolndrive

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
BNY Mellon Center
Actually my favorite Philadelphia skyscraper. I mean, I flip flop on this all the time. So many really great towers to choose from (with more on the way), but this one always stands out to me. I also love how it meets the street. It has the appearance of a giant tower placed on top of an existing, decades old building.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:22 AM

mellon bank center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4983 View Post
Actually my favorite Philadelphia skyscraper. I mean, I flip flop on this all the time. So many really great towers to choose from (with more on the way), but this one always stands out to me. I also love how it meets the street. It has the appearance of a giant tower placed on top of an existing, decades old building.
the mellon bank center is of course built at the height of post-modernism and has some obvious egyptian references not only the pyramid top but the facades end at the top with a cavetto cornice based on the Egyptian pylon.

"Introduced at least as early as the Middle Kingdom, pylons were tower like structures flanking temple entrances reminiscent of the mountains on the horizon between which the sun rose every morning. They were often solid structures with their interiors filled with rubble (the Amarna talatat on which scenes of life in Akhenaten's capital are depicted, survived thanks to being reused in this way), but many enclosed rooms and stairways. The tops of the pylon ended often in cavetto cornices"

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:36 AM

Looking at the image above reinforces my belief that Comcast 1 would have looked way better with the "north side" cutout on both sides (as opposed to the tall "south side" window) or with no cut outs, so all four sides would appear like the east and west do. I think that building looks far better from the east and west than it does from the north and south, with the south side being the worst of all four.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 10:19 AM

[IMG]IMG_0826 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0824 by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
This is proof that Norman Foster is overrated. This plus The Bow in Calgary & The Hearst tower in New York definitely prove that he is lacking in aesthetic sophistication...
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but seriously? The Bow and Hearst tower are both gorgeous buildings. You're talking about some of the most elegant and sophisticated buildings of the past few decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1 View Post
As much as I loved the height on ACC, I think the design was a bit awkward. Large swaths of flat blue glass and odd angles remind me too much of the Blue Cross-Blue Shield/IBX building and some of the original Freedom Tower proposals. That and the large gap in the base just didn't quite work for me. The CITC design is just so much more solid.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 2:25 PM

Does that sign say "Hotel W"? That can't be right, right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture