HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 3:16 PM
Oak City

Raleigh's new Union Station opens April 30th. It will now service increased daily trains between Raleigh, Greensboro, and Charlotte (and further Amtrak service to DC, Atlanta, etc.).

It will also be service by commuter rail in the future as part of the Raleigh-Durham commuter line that will be funded by the transit tax that passed a while back.

Source

Last edited by initiald; Apr 27, 2018 at 3:38 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
A few updated photos of Durham projects"

Source video
Wow! I used to go to Durham all the time to visit my Grandmother when I lived in NOVA.
Alot of changes. Granted it's been 17 years or so, but good stuff.

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 8:22 PM
Oak City

Before and after photos showing Raleigh's new Union Station and The Dillon:

Source

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 1:42 PM
Oak City

One Glenwood is topped out.

Source

Residents will be moving into The Dillon soon.

Source

Old Posted May 3, 2018, 1:11 PM
Oak City

Groundbreaking today for 22-floor FNB Tower

This is now the tallest under-construction tower in Raleigh. Seven floors of office space, 239 residential units and a terrace with a pool. Construction is expected to be completed in 2019. The foundation is already in place so the tower should rise fairly quickly. Source

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:41 PM
Oak City

This great aerial shows the site of Kane's smokey hollow development. It will be 12 floor residential with a ground floor Publix grocery store. it will be very transformative to this area of downtown and will serve as a catalyst for more development here. Also, you can see the construction of the new bridge and interchange where Capital Blvs crosses Peace street.

Source

Oh, also the tower crane is now up for FNB tower (as mentioned in my previous post).

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:28 PM
Oak City

Tower crane is up for 22-floor FNB tower with office, residential, and ground floor retail.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 4:18 AM

Initiald,

Do you have any more updates on the development of One Glenwood and the FNB tower? Im excited to see the continued growth in the area. Keep up the good work! I enjoy it!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 12:40 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfilyaw View Post
Initiald,

Do you have any more updates on the development of One Glenwood and the FNB tower? Im excited to see the continued growth in the area. Keep up the good work! I enjoy it!
One Glenwood as of this morning. The tan colored bricks are starting to go on it. Also last week another 10 floor office building was just announced for this block right behind One Glenwood. FNB tower isn't really going vertical yet but the tower crane is up.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 1:43 PM
Oak City

FNB tower:

One Glenwood:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 5:01 PM
Oak City

North Hills (Midtown) development:

"Construction is expected to begin on the 33-story Walter Tower later this year, while Tower 4, a 20-story office tower, is already coming out of the ground. Tower 4 will add 325,000 square feet of office space to North Hills, Kane said in an interview."
Source

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:09 AM

^^^I'd much rather see that stuff built downtown than in the more suburban North Hills.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
^^^I'd much rather see that stuff built downtown than in the more suburban North Hills.
While it would be nice to have Downtown, this is good for congestion maintenance and overall city development. I think having a "Midtown" develop is something that Raleigh can capitalize on. Density without support isn't good, and honestly, DTR's downfall is public transportation and the like thereof. It's only just now beginning to fill the void with hotel rooms and capacity restraints thereof. You don't want to force density into downtown if it can't handle it. Let's celebrate continued growth in the city. All it will do is encourage more!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 7:32 PM

Word is a new 20 story tower has been proposed at the old police station near Nash Square. This would consolidate government offices in the city and lower maintenance costs. Source -> https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...source=twitter

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 12:22 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfilyaw View Post
Word is a new 20 story tower has been proposed at the old police station near Nash Square. This would consolidate government offices in the city and lower maintenance costs. Source -> https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...source=twitter
Yes, they have looked at various proposals, some around 14 floors, some taller. I think this would be good for the site. The city owns the whole block so there is room to consolidate city office as well as some public/private development.

The site has a squat little 3 floor parking deck which could be torn down and replaced with maybe 7 levels of parking with a tower on top like the recently completed The Dillon.

It would also be good for the surrounding street scape to get something developed here that is more pedestrian friendly. It's just sort of a blank wall.

Here's an update on the FNB Tower thanks to Leo Suarez at DTRaleigh:

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 8:12 PM
Oak City

Time for a Raleigh update:

FNB tower, 22 floors

Still has a few more floors to go I think.

One Glenwood

Topped out. The building to the left, wrapping the project parking deck, is a hotel called Origin.

Here is what the Origin hotel will look like when completed:

When they finish up they will likely start on phase 2, which will be called Two Hillsborough and will also be 10 floors.

Smokey Hollow (Peace and West)

Maybe one more floor to go?

This is phase one of three phases. Here is phase 2:

The layout of phase one plus where phase 2 and 3 will be located. There has been talk of phase 3 being as high as 40 floor but I'm not sure that will happen. I think 20 is more realistic.

The Metropolitan. This project burned down while under construction in the huge fire which was 2 years ago come March. It's now been rebuilt.

North Hills Tower 4
Actually a connected 33 floor residential and 20 floor office. I *think* they are both being built, but I know the 20 floor office building has a tenant and for sure is going up now. Foundation work is complete and they are on about the first floor right now.

Last edited by initiald; Feb 19, 2019 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 10:00 PM
Oak City

In my previous post yesterday I gave a rundown of major under construction projects in Raleigh. Here are active proposals that could start this year. I've omitted phase 2/3 proposals for already under-construction projects as I mention them above.

301 Hillsborough - 20 floors.

The most likely candidate to become the next 20+ floor tower to start construction. The tl;dr is this site had a proposal but ended up getting sold to a new developer who is confident enough to build on spec, so there's no waiting around until an anchor tenant signs on. Here is the new rendering:

This would be the first phase of a development that would take up nearly the whole block and would be office with ground floor retail. There haven't been updated renderings of phase 2 and 3 which would be a hotel and residential, but they would likely be in the 10 to maybe 15 floor range. Here are some older renderings of those:

Nash Square hotel - 9 floors

Currently unbranded. Would be across the street from Nash Square park.

Another Kane project, 20 floors

This will likely happen, it just takes a while with assembling the land and such. Likely to be between 15 up to 20 floors of office on top of a parking deck, with 6 or so floor residential all around it. This will be near the old train station site, and will likely be a lot like The Dillon (if you want to go back a look a pics of it).

Those, along with the phase 2's of the previous post, are what I would rank as "very likely" to happen this year. Now come the "well maybe?" list of projects that could happen if partners, tenants, funding, etc. line up. Probably one or more will happen this year, unlikely all will happen.

RUS bus, 20 floors

Phase 2 of the union station project, this is a tower and bus station in an old warehouse beside The Dillon and Union Station. GoTriangle transit service owns the lot/warehouse and is looking for a development partner.

This shows what the massing could look like, located beside the recently completed The Dillion. The other Kane project I just mentioned above will be where the dirt patch is in the bottom left.

400 Hillsborough - 20 floors

Residential on top of office space. The developer owns all the land but this is starting to approach "stale proposal" territory. 50/50 odds anything happens here this year.

Two 10 floor hotels

Yeah, MAYBE one of these will get off the ground this year. The first would be where the old Enterprise car lot was on the NE corner of Cabarrus and McDowell. The second would be on the old Firestone lot on the NE corner of Davie and Dawson.

The stale proposal or "I'll believe it when I see it" category:

The Edison, 20+ floors. (The lot is ready to go, they just need a to pre-lease enough to get funding I think. Charter Square North landed FNB as their anchor tenant - see previous post for that tower - so they were able to start before the Edison site).
New Raleigh city hall, 10+ floors. (I don't see enough political will to do this project for new city offices this year).
Exploris, 10+ floors. (Stale until they get an anchor tenant).
Old New & Observer site: 30+ floors. (This is a prime site downtown, and something will come together here eventually, and likely at least 1 tower will be 30+ floors but I don't see it happening this year).

You can look back through the thread for pics of those, but there's not really any new news on them.

Last edited by initiald; Feb 21, 2019 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 12:43 AM

Thanks for the updates! I've been waiting on these for some time! appreciate the work you do sir!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2019, 3:10 PM
Oak City

Durham rundown 2019

I only get to Durham, Raleigh's 21-mile-away neighbor to the northwest, a couple times a month so I might be missing some things.

Now that One City Center, Durham's new tallest, is complete the current tallest under construction are Van Allen (left, residential) and 555 Mangum (right, office).

Van Allen & 555 Mangum

This photo, with the new Bullhouse apartments in the foreground, show Van Allan topped out and to the left of it, 55 Mangum. This photo is from last year and now 555 is about half way up or more.

Construction cam only goes through November 1st, so 555 Mangum in the background, right, is now about half way up.

Durham Innovation District

The first of several buildings completed.

Source/info

Durham County Administration Building

Complete renovation and new exterior for existing administration building.

Foster On the Park

Overlooking the farmers market, adjacent to the Durham Innovation District in the map above.

Five Points Center

12 floors with residential, retail and maybe office space. Toss up whether it breaks ground this year or not.

Mangum Flats

Condos. Completed.

Broadstone

Construction underway at site of an old hotel building that was torn down. There are several apartment projects like this, I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Liberty Warehouse is another that was completed recently, and I already mentioned Bullhouse above. I'm sure I'm missing some others so this is not an exhaustive list.

Here's another skyline shot from this winter from the Hearld-Sun. You can see 555 Mangum starting to go up in the center, beside the topped-out Van Allen. On the very far left you can see Broadstone under construction.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 1:53 PM
Oak City

The Nexus, Phase 1 - 15 floors

When doing my Raleigh rundown this week I said development was unlikely to happen at the old New & Observer site this year, but just now The Acquisition Group announced plans for Phase 1 of the site, which is supposed to be completed by 2021. This portion of the project will be a 15 floor office tower. Phases 2 and 3 on the site, overlooking Nash Square, will be hotel and residential and hopefully 20+ floors.

Source

Also, forgotten in my Raleigh rundown was The Fairweather, a condo project which broke ground this month:

Source

Last edited by initiald; Feb 22, 2019 at 2:12 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations