HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 1:58 AM

The first set of renderings is no longer happening, at least not any time soon. The tenant backed out and decided to stay in downtown Wilmington. The Walnut Street set looks like a corporate HQ expansion for BPG itself, judging by the sign in the driveway.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
The first set of renderings is no longer happening, at least not any time soon. The tenant backed out and decided to stay in downtown Wilmington. The Walnut Street set looks like a corporate HQ expansion for BPG itself, judging by the sign in the driveway.
Hopefully if he stays in downtown, he could develop a skyscraper. I think Wilmington should get a skyscraper sometime soon.

Last edited by jonesrmj; Aug 28, 2016 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 3:10 AM

Why do you all say Wilmington is in such dire need of a skyscraper? It would be nice to have a signature tower, sure. But I'd rather see several smaller low rise infill (residential and office) throughout downtown and along the riverfront than I would have it concentrated in one or two mammoth buildings.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 5:49 AM

Agreed. Wilmington doesn't need a new tower nearly as much as it needs dense residential infill downtown and in the neighborhoods. Do that to any meaningful degree of success and you'll see not one but multiple towers follow.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 8:13 PM

I know, it's just it was exciting when Wilmington had the skyscraper boom before thats all and I'm looking for another one to possibly happen sometime soon. What Wilmington definitely does need is to reduce the crime.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
I know, it's just it was exciting when Wilmington had the skyscraper boom before thats all and I'm looking for another one to possibly happen sometime soon. What Wilmington definitely does need is to reduce the crime.
Plus also, a ton of cities around the world are getting crazy skyscraper booms too.
But I'm not saying it's in desperate need for one. It's just been a wile since we've had a skyscraper built at all and I just think it'll be cool for some vertical growth.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 8:27 PM

Oh, I've seen a rendering of this 10 story building in Newark for the University of Delaware:

I haven't herd much info on this project so I'm asking if any of you guys know?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 8:30 PM

Also, I wonder if they'll ever build a mall in downtown Wilmington or near the riverfront but they already have Christina Mall (Down I-95 for 4ish miles) which is constantly growing and Concord Mall (Up US-202 for 2ish miles) so I would guess not anytime soon.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Oh, I've seen a rendering of this 10 story building in Newark for the University of Delaware:

I haven't herd much info on this project so I'm asking if any of you guys know?
I believe this one is actually happening.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 3:24 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I believe this one is actually happening.
Campus-backed developments usually come to fruition!

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad9 View Post
Why do you all say Wilmington is in such dire need of a skyscraper? It would be nice to have a signature tower, sure. But I'd rather see several smaller low rise infill (residential and office) throughout downtown and along the riverfront than I would have it concentrated in one or two mammoth buildings.
No doubt, there are probably a dozen surface parking lots in downtown Wilmington within a 5-min walk to Rodney Square (and then there's also a few big garages with very minimal street impact. Fixing those dead zones would probably make a much greater impact than one 400-500ft tower. (But I'd also love to see a new tallest; interesting note, I didn't realize that the River Tower at 340ft (completed 2007, one of the 2 residential high rises on the Riverfront) is the tallest building in Wilmington. Chase Manhattan Centre downtown at 330ft is #2 (completed in 1988).

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
No doubt, there are probably a dozen surface parking lots in downtown Wilmington within a 5-min walk to Rodney Square (and then there's also a few big garages with very minimal street impact. Fixing those dead zones would probably make a much greater impact than one 400-500ft tower. (But I'd also love to see a new tallest; interesting note, I didn't realize that the River Tower at 340ft (completed 2007, one of the 2 residential high rises on the Riverfront) is the tallest building in Wilmington. Chase Manhattan Centre downtown at 330ft is #2 (completed in 1988).
Yeah, I was just on Emporis searching on Wilmington and it said the River Tower was 340ft tall. Wikipedia was wrong so I fixed it. But even though the River Tower @ Christina Landing is 25-27 floors, to me, the Chase Manhattan Center looks taller. Although there is a section on top of the river tower that makes it taller but it's only visible from further away.

About the whole "Wilmington doesn't need a skyscraper yet", I do agree with the fact that some dead zones do need to be filled up with something (I haven't seen anything going on with the 1300 Market Street Building that's suppose to be converting to a Marriott this summer though) But I do think that It's been a long time since Wilmington has gotten a tower and I think that considering so many cities are getting crazy skyscraper booms (Last time I drove through Philly, it had like 20 skyscrapers under construction and the renderings made Philly look to be twice as big!). I'm not saying it's desperate for Wilmington to get some skyscrapers, or that it needs a lot, I'm just saying that it would obviously be cool, but better yet, it would possibly attract more business's, it would make Wilmington simply look more attractive and I think that sometime soon, we should get some more towers. Yes, the lower rise building Wilmington has been getting will help increase population and living there but at the same time, Wilmington should be getting some vertical growth if these projects are successful.

Also, colonial parking has plenty of sites around wilmington for possible development of skyscrapers (including the 509ft 35floor rendering near Jefferson Street and Delaware Avenue) so it's not like theres no possible chance for vertical growth, it's just that I have to be patient for these smaller but needed projects to finish. I just got like that about the skyscrapers cause I was frustrated that we have not been getting much vertical growth recently thats all.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 8:55 PM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 1:28 AM

Quote:
(I haven't seen anything going on with the 1300 Market Street Building that's suppose to be converting to a Marriott this summer though)
Renovations are underway now. I ran past yesterday and interior work was actively happening. Some of the exterior has started too. Will try to get pictures soon.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 11:00 AM

More Wilmington news ....

New loan program aimed at priming Market Street renaissance

"...Backed by $625,000 in funding from JPMorgan Chase and $15,000 from Bank of America, the program offers forgivable loans to entrepreneurs, landlords and developers with the goal of prompting them to open new restaurants, entertainment venues and retail shops – or undertake improvements at existing businesses – from Second to 12th streets. The loans – each worth up to $50,000 – will be available for site acquisition, expansion, renovation, working capital, inventory, furniture and fixture upgrades, according to CEO Van Hampton Jr.

"As long as businesses remain open and use the money as promised, there will be no payments and at maturity, the loan will be 100 percent forgiven," Hampton said. "The purpose is to act as a catalyst by providing another valuable tool for rejuvenating Market Street."...

"Much of the resurgence along Market Street can be credited to the developers Buccini/Pollin Group, which has invested about $125 million to open nearly a dozen apartment buildings that have added about 200 residential units from Fourth to Ninth streets. Brothers Chris and Rob Buccini also have helped draw several restaurants downtown, including La Fia + Market + Bistro, the Merchant Bar, Chelsea Tavern, Ernest & Scott Taproom, the future 3 Doors Brewing Co. and a beer garden planned at 817 N. Market St.

In June, the developers broke ground on Residences at Mid-Town Park, a $75 million complex at the site of the former Mid-Town Parking Garage that will include 200 luxury apartments, 12,000 square feet of retail space and an underground garage with more than 500 spaces."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ance/89647966/

Tri-State Mall could see residential, retail future

"Claymont is seeing a flurry of activity with the repurposing of the Evraz Steel Mill, a new train station and ongoing construction of new apartments on Philadelphia Pike.

But the Tri-State Mall's future remains an uncertain eyesore tucked into the unincorporated area. Local planners hope activity around the faded shopping center off Interstate 95 will prod its owners to rethink the 41-acre site's future."...

Saddler's organization has teamed with state economic development and transportation officials, the Wilmington Area Planning Council and New Castle County government to develop an "ideal scenario" they hope can serve as a guide for future development of the center.

They say the mall has potential for an institutional use as well as retail and residential development situated in a walkable village setting. The idea includes a road connecting the Tri-State through the former steel mill site to the new train station, tying potential residents to job centers in Wilmington, Philadelphia and beyond.

"The train station will be the big catalyst for redevelopment there," Saddler said."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...mall/89603644/
------------

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:05 PM

Is it just me or is it that I fell that most of what wilmington is doing with the "deadzones" is building small apartments/condos there. Don't get me wrong, I do think Wilmington does need to improve the living situations especially in downtown but I think they should also make retail/office too and save some apartment/condo buildings in the form of a skyscraper because there aren't any hotel/condo skyscrapers besides the residents at christina landing. Maybe they could build a downtown mall (like in Philly) and later on build a tower on top. Or what about a 15-20 story embassy with the outdoor glass elevators. (like Chicago). Again, I'm not saying Wilmington needs a skyscraper but I'm saying that fill some of the dead zones with a hotel/condo tower. It's still adding residents and filling dead zones but it's also is building up too (which its been a while since). And to me, it seems like Wilmington is trying to replicate a large city in a small city, and doing this would probably help Wilmington in both ways. But what do you guys think. I'm always interested in your opinions too even if you disagree.

Last edited by jonesrmj; Sep 1, 2016 at 8:22 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
Renovations are underway now. I ran past yesterday and interior work was actively happening. Some of the exterior has started too. Will try to get pictures soon.
If you could get pictures that would be GREAT! . I haven't seen any online except for the rendering.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 10:08 PM
The Doctor Is In

If the space is in demand and it fills a need then great. Building a skyscraper when land supply is greater than demand is somewhat quixotic and generally doesn't promote healthy street life imo.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAwesome View Post
If the space is in demand and it fills a need then great. Building a skyscraper when land supply is greater than demand is somewhat quixotic and generally doesn't promote healthy street life imo.
I guess you're right, but it would be neat to have something tall too.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 5:35 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
I guess you're right, but it would be neat to have something tall too.
Keep in mind dead zones exist because there isn't enough activity on the street. More activity on the street --> higher property values --> more incentive to build skyscrapers. OTOH if you try to overextend commercial spaces before the market is ready, that'll also create dead zones.

Wilmington is a quiet city, particularly from the eyes of someone used to Center City.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations