HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 11:44 PM

Lsat video from today in Rockaway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoeMVSwrUY0

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 12:04 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

[QUOTE=jmatero;6089367]There is no 319... and 317+318 (The beacon) are joined already on the ground.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=jmatero;6089844]315 just went up!

Doesn't seem like they attached it though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan88 View Post
Correct
Thank you

Quote:
section 316 was picked to the doghouse level today, 315 on the ground may go up on top of spire on Monday if weather cooperates. Section 316 arrived on site today, so all the sections are on site now.
so 315 and 316 are seperate but ready to go??? and 317&318 are already connected at ground level?? so 4 more sections to go well 3 if you count beacon and 317 together. Sound right?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 12:25 AM

[QUOTE=bigreach;6090292][QUOTE=jmatero;6089367]There is no 319... and 317+318 (The beacon) are joined already on the ground.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatero View Post
315 just went up!

Doesn't seem like they attached it though..

Thank you

so 315 and 316 are seperate but ready to go??? and 317&318 are already connected at ground level?? so 4 more sections to go well 3 if you count beacon and 317 together. Sound right?
315 and 316 are seperate picks. The crane has to jump up and the 317/318 go in as one pick.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 1:09 AM

How can the white crane jump up. The lower crane is to short to attach sections to it and these cranes have no frame on them for self jumping.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
How can the white crane jump up. The lower crane is to short to attach sections to it and these cranes have no frame on them for self jumping.
Larry Davis of DCM and his folks are geniuses, no one else could build this. Just watch, probably end of month time period.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Larry Davis of DCM and his folks are geniuses, no one else could build this. Just watch, probably end of month time period.
I saw the drawings last year, but Shapiro I believe is the crane engineer and if memory is correct, they will be using jumping frame and sections from Lomma to get the crane up to 1900 ft.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 3:17 AM

The section most recently put up looks significantly whiter than the rest, anyone else see this?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 3:17 AM
Astorian

April 13th, 2013

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 3:39 AM

Quote:
I saw the drawings last year, but Shapiro I believe is the crane engineer and if memory is correct, they will be using jumping frame and sections from Lomma to get the crane up to 1900 ft.
Forgive my absolute ignorance, but how are they getting the crane that high without decent support? Can the spire hold the anchor?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Nice comparison (thanks to NYCrulz for finding it):

Christoph S.
Thank you Hunser for sharing it...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 3:52 AM
Mr. Technology

What a difference only a few years make!

One WTC really stands tall and fills the void in such a grand way.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 12:49 PM

They might be jumping the crane, but I don't know why they would need to. Despite all the drawings showing the crane lifting the top piece from above, you don't have to do it that way. You only need to hook up above the CG of the last piece.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 4:13 PM

I still have these moments where I think to myself, "Wow, has this much time passed since 9/11?" - it doesn't feel like it to me, until I start looking at pics of the WTC complex. My very first visit to NYC, only 7 WTC had been built and they were getting it ready for its grand opening (this was in early 2006). It's really surreal to see pics now and see part of the WTC complex back and rebuilt. But it does make me sad at the same time - that we had to start all over again... I'm also thankful for these who were born after that day, they will never remember/know what that day was like. And hopefully they never experience a terrible tragedy like that during their lifetime.

I'm seeing in some of the newest pics - with the newest spire addition - that the cladding is now past the observatory floors and reaching the roof. WOW!! Talk about light at the end of the tunnel!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
They might be jumping the crane, but I don't know why they would need to. Despite all the drawings showing the crane lifting the top piece from above, you don't have to do it that way. You only need to hook up above the CG of the last piece.
If you go back and look at post 30928 of the joined section 317/318 that 5 star is wiring up, you will see the lifting lugs at the bottom of section 318.

alan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Nice comparison (thanks to NYCrulz for finding it):

Christoph S.
What building is this view shot from?? Love this view thanks

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 6:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
Here are some pictures from today:

DSC00128 by NYMAN2010, on Flickr
Always love the random street shots. You get great views of skyscrapers, especially supertalls in places you wouldn't expect.

Movie alert:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1315612

Apple-calypse now! New York City plays starring role in new Tom Cruise sci-fi epic 'Oblivion'
Though alien invasion leaves Earth in ruins, eagle-eyed moviegoers can spot a fully completed Freedom Tower in the background

By Ethan Sacks
April 13, 2013

Quote:
Even in 2077, after an alien invasion has left the Earth in ruins, New York City will apparently still be the center of the universe.

The Big Apple gets some major screen time alongside Tom Cruise in the sci-fi epic, “Oblivion,” which opens Friday. A recurring flashback is set atop the Empire State Building — and eagle-eyed movie-goers will spy a fully completed Freedom Tower in the background.

“That was something I was really excited about: New Yorkers are going to get to see the finished Freedom Tower for the first time in this film,” says “Oblivion” writer and director Joseph Kosinski, who moved to the city in the ’90s to attend Columbia University’s Graduate School of Architecture.

Maria Brorsson

darknemesis618

takegoro

jlucierphoto

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrolla View Post
What building is this view shot from?? Love this view thanks
The GE Building in Rockefeller plaza

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 7:22 PM

^^^
Wooo! they're finally putting glass in where the elevator was. And has anyone noticed what happened to NYC in Google Earth all the models are different and 1WTC's is extremely outdated.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 7:23 PM

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/news/...rom_32335.aspx

Quote:
With only one segment remaining, the spire atop 1 World Trade Center is on track for completion this month. The 408-foot-tall finial completes the tower's full height of 1,776 feet, while work continues throughout the 1,368-foot-tall skyscraper. The Port Authority presented the latest updates to Community Board 1 on April 4th, noting that 55 percent of the building is pre-leased, and tenant floors are now being built out.

Construction also continues concurrently in several more areas of the iconic tower, most visibly on floors 90 and 100, where facade installation is substantially complete. Because those floors house mechanical and ventilation systems, the facade takes on a different appearance due to air vents built into the glass panels, which allow air to pass through and cool equipment.

Port Authority Assistant Director of WTC Construction Quentin Brathwaite added that fitout is ramping up at the "One World Observatory" on the 100th, 101st, and 102nd floors. Operator Legends Hospitality, which recently signed a 15-year, $800 million lease with the agency, will continue its interior work both on the upper floors and in the sub-grade public-entrance level. Several details about the observation deck remain under discussion, including the opening date, dining options, and ticket price.

The observatory is expected to open in early 2015, and draw approximately 3.8 million visitors a year.

At the base of 1 WTC, also called the "podium," the special louvered glass panels are complete on the south side of the building, and crews are now beginning installation on both the east and west sides.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 7:36 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive