HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
Says a guy from Toronto...ha
You mean the team that finished absolutely average for the better part of a decade without actually tanking?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
You mean the team that finished absolutely average for the better part of a decade without actually tanking?
Won nothing did nothing had to draft Matthews first overall, had to switch all the management.
Yea, that team.
How'd Toronto get Marner (4th overall) and Nylander (8th overall), plus Matthews without 'tanking'?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Won nothing did nothing had to draft Matthews first overall, had to switch all the management.
Yea, that team.
Ya, if only we'd gotten Mcdavid instead we could be fighting for lottery contention...

If your new management team doesn't win in two years, you're probably better off just keeping the guys who run you into the ground for 10 years right?

Nylander was 9th overall (and passed on by several teams who now regret it) in a year where Edmonton picked Draisaitl 3rd after "finally coming out of the basement with 3 straight consecutive 1st overalls." The Leafs were a team fighting for a playoff spot and were obviously, an average to below average team.

In Marner's draft year, the Leafs were fighting for a playoff spot until mid-January when Shanahan made it clear that being below average wasn't going to cut it and fired Carlyle and let the team free fall for a third of the season. Again, in this year, Edmonton drafted the aforementioned Connor Mcdavid 1st overall. Their woes were over!!

2016 was Toronto's only full tank year. In which they finished with the most points for a last place team in almost 10 years. In this draft, Edmonton made a massive improvement and drafted only 4th overall!!! They were lauded for their unparalleled success and considered contenders for the next decade....

In reality, two years later, the teams couldn't be in more opposite positions.

I normally don't like taking personal digs into opposing teams, but if you want to be willfully ignorant, I can do this all day.

Last edited by suburbanite; Mar 1, 2019 at 6:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Ya, if only we'd gotten Mcdavid instead we could be fighting for lottery contention...

If your new management team doesn't win in two years, you're probably better off just keeping the guys who run you into the ground for 10 years right?
I don't know who's saying that, and all oilers fans want a change to clean out the cronyism.

The oilers are bad this year but this whole McDavid waking thing is just stupid, all tramped up cause he got blown out in his home town and played awful.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 6:35 AM

So you think Connor will happily throw away his career if the Oilers continue to languish they way they have been? That's all people are saying, nobody will want to play for a team that never gets better.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2019, 2:15 PM
ハルウララ

The Athletic polled 200 NHL players for their thoughts on some topics. Two that will make for some fun discussion here:

"What is the most fun city to visit on the road?"
1. Vegas (26%)
2. Nashville (19%)
3. Chicago (13%)
4. Vancouver (12%)
5. New York (10%)

"What is the worst city to visit on the road?"
1. Winnipeg (38%)
2. Buffalo (15%)
3. Ottawa (12%)
4. Edmonton (8%)
5. Carolina (5%)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 4:33 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The Athletic polled 200 NHL players for their thoughts on some topics. Two that will make for some fun discussion here:

1. Vegas (26%)
2. Nashville (19%)
3. Chicago (13%)
4. Vancouver (12%)
5. New York (10%)

1. Winnipeg (38%)
2. Buffalo (15%)
3. Ottawa (12%)
4. Edmonton (8%)
5. Carolina (5%)
That is interesting. They must have a reason for saying that even if I don't like or agree with it.
It's interesting that they'd say that since it must have something to do with where they stay when visiting. If they're near the arena in Winnipeg, I would assume they just don't know the city since they're playing right in an area full of bars and restaurants. I mean, there's no theme parks next door but being NHL players I wouldn't think they'd be looking for that anyway. I'd like to know what they expect makes a city fun or boring, to be honest.

To rank New York among the lowest scorers seems just as odd to me given that New York is the defacto center of the cultural world. I can understand Vegas being highly placed but I wouldn't have thought blowing all that hard-earned NHL money would rate so well among the players.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
That is interesting. They must have a reason for saying that even if I don't like or agree with it.
It's interesting that they'd say that since it must have something to do with where they stay when visiting. If they're near the arena in Winnipeg, I would assume they just don't know the city since they're playing right in an area full of bars and restaurants. I mean, there's no theme parks next door but being NHL players I wouldn't think they'd be looking for that anyway. I'd like to know what they expect makes a city fun or boring, to be honest.

To rank New York among the lowest scorers seems just as odd to me given that New York is the defacto center of the cultural world. I can understand Vegas being highly placed but I wouldn't have thought blowing all that hard-earned NHL money would rate so well among the players.
New York is fifth most popular.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2019, 10:25 AM

I don't think it's any coincidence the top 4 cities share a lot in common. Cold small and sleepy.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Yea, that team.
How'd Toronto get Marner (4th overall) and Nylander (8th overall), plus Matthews without 'tanking'?
They only finished at the bottom once.

Speaking of the Leafs, nice road win over the top team in the western conference

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:00 PM

Funny that NY isn't up at the top, but I can also see it not being that it's a very busy city. It must be a bit tiring on the players even travelling in and out of the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

1. Vegas (26%)
2. Nashville (19%)
3. Chicago (13%)
4. Vancouver (12%)
5. New York (10%)

1. Winnipeg (38%)
2. Buffalo (15%)
3. Ottawa (12%)
4. Edmonton (8%)
5. Carolina (5%)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:02 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Funny that NY isn't up at the top, but I can also see it not being that it's a very busy city. It must be a bit tiring on the players even travelling in and out of the city.
I can see why Nashville, Vegas, and even Vancouver are more "fun" than New York. NY can be a hassle to get around and can be intimidating if you've never been there before. Nashville and Vegas are smaller and easier to get around, and are pretty good party spots.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 3:45 PM
arf

First time the Oilers won 3 in a row since December 9th. They could tie their season high win streak of four on Thursday.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 5:53 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

It's funny. I would have thought that the sun destinations like Miami and Tampa would be closer to the top. Just shows that the players are looking for a good time. Haha.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 7:51 PM
Near Generational

Don't watch many Leafs games, but if that's how Andersen has been playing, he's gotta be in the Vezina conversation.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 7:59 PM

That's pretty much what we've come to expect of him over the last 3 years now. It's nice having complete faith in your starter. It's also a stark reminder of how much of our success rides on him when Sparks come in as backup...

As for the Vezina, Vasilevskiy beats him in pretty much every statistical category, albeit with one of the best teams of the past 20 years in front of him.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 8:18 PM

Canucks are obviously done. Go Habs?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 8:27 PM
arf

Quote:
That's pretty much what we've come to expect of him over the last 3 years now. It's nice having complete faith in your starter. It's also a stark reminder of how much of our success rides on him when Sparks come in as backup...

As for the Vezina, Vasilevskiy beats him in pretty much every statistical category, albeit with one of the best teams of the past 20 years in front of him.
And Tampa Bay didn't take a nosedive when he was out for a few weeks. Domingue is 19-5 with a 2.92 GAA and .908 save percentage. Those kinds of statistics on a different team would be something like say...

John Gibson who is 18-20 with a 2.87 GAA and .916 save percentage.

Definitely the team. One can make a pretty good argument for Andersen with that.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 9:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
And Tampa Bay didn't take a nosedive when he was out for a few weeks. Domingue is 19-5 with a 2.92 GAA and .908 save percentage. Those kinds of statistics on a different team would be something like say...
This is the scariest thing about Tampa. The team didn't lose any steam at all when Vasilevskiy went down.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 11:21 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Tampa doesn't give up that many high danger scoring chances, like Toronto did last night.

Any other goalie and the Flames win 7-6. He was incredible in the first 40 minutes, especially the first period.

Anyways... tonight is going to be very interesting for the playoff races. Every team that's in the mix is playing. Oh and Tampa against Winnipeg. Potential SCF preview????

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada